Avengers Endgame Discussion (SPOILERS AHEAD!)

Also, according to the Homecoming trailer, it looks like a.) Cap did indeed screw up the timelines, and b.) HOLY CRAP IS THAT CAPTAIN BRITAIN?

Unless, you know, the Master of Mystery! is lying, again. (Which is bordering on a superpower if it can fool S.H.I.E.L.D.!)

Or maybe that isn’t Nick Fury… ;-) 

Honestly, he does look a lot like Mysterio.  But I would rather see another cool hero that can stick around than yet another one-and-done baddie that will never show up again.  Also, European field trip... perfect opportunity to namedrop Latveria and confirm Dr. Doom.

Funny thing to me about the a Far from Home trailer was how OblivAeon was supposed to be tying up all the loose ends and multiverses - Avengers: Endgame sure seems like it's blown open all the crazy time travel and multiverse plots now!

I have to say, though, they pulled one over on me.  I was expecting Nebula to just take the Gauntlet like in the comics.  But now I’m just waiting for the Captain America: Time Cop spinoff.  I do wonder if he got like a wish granted or something for giving up the Soul Stone.

I keep thinking of vignettes of Cap returning the objects. 

*Cap shows up wherever Loki ends up, casually knocks him out with Thor's hammer, and uses the tessaract to put Loki back in Avenger's tower. He leaves the tessaract and the scepter by Loki's unconcious body, which is conveniantly right next to past Cap's unconcious body.

*Cap knocks on a big door. The Ancient One opens it. "You know," she says, "it is a bit anti-climactic when I place the fate of the universe in somebody else's hands and then his friend shows up an hour later and says that the problem has been solved." "Believe me," Cap reasured, "I think I've had enough excitement to last me a lifetime." He hands her the time stone then walks away. The Ancient One calls out to Cap. "Enjoy your dance! Don't break the rules too much!"

*Thor and Rocket telleport out of the Asgard room, Thor's mother hanging out by the window, thinking. Suddenly Cap shows up in the window. "Excuse me maam," he says. Thor's mom yells in surprise. Cap continues, "Sorry. Can I leave this hammer here? Thanks!"

*Cap arrives at the Vormir cliff and finds the shadowy figure. "Red Skull?!" gasps a surprised Cap. "Screw this! I'm not giving this to you!" Skull rolls his eyes. "I'm dead, dummkopf. What the hell do you think I'm going to do with it?" "Good point." Cap responds before handing the stone to Skull. Skull then casually tosses the stone over his shoulder and over the edge of the cliff.

I especially like this. :smiley:

I... guess I gotta go against the mold. I wasn’t a fan.

I’ll admit there were some moments that got my attention. Cap wielding Mjolnir, I distinctly remember the entire theatre went nuts over. But that wasn’t the bit I liked most. My favourite moment in the movie was honestly Thor learning he was still worthy. Sometimes when we have depression, we forget the things that make us who we are, and that make us matter, and I thought that scene really succintly summarised the feeling of rediscovering those things. 

But in general, I thought they had too many balls in the air, and too many dropped. For instance, of all the people left alive after IW, I was really curious to see where they would take Okoye. Wakanda without a royal family seemed an interesting prospect, and I thought they might show her trying to maintain the country’s cohesion. But her entire role in the movie kinda just boiled down to teasing Namor. I’m all for Imperius Rex, but come on, at least use the characters you didn’t kill.

And then there’s Black Widow... jeez, this movie did not do her justice. A character consistently downplayed or disregarded within the franchise, largely ignored in marketing, and the butt of jokes about being the “useless” Avenger, and in the end it seemed like the film itself agreed, since all it thought she could contribute was dying for the Soul Gem. Doesn’t help that unlike Iron Man, she doesn’t get a big funeral farewell. It honestly ruined the big “girl power” scene for me, because it’s kinda like, “Yeah, check out all the cool female characters we got! Not you, Black Widow, you’re not good enough.” I know that’s not the intention, but it was kinda tonedeaf in my opinion.

I have other issues with the film, but I think I’ve been enough of a buzzkill. I’m glad everyone else seems to enjoy it, but the negatives outweighed the positives for me. Happy to talk about it with anyone who’s interested, though.

I'm with you, TGWNN. The further I get from seeing the movie in the theater, the more I feel it undermined itself (and other MCU movies) and patted itself on the back for payoff that it didn't really earn. You are especially right that they didn't use any of their women well, which was really strange after specifically highlighting several in Black Panther, Ragnarok, and Captain Marvel. It's like Marvel showed itself willing to learn to tell new, diverse stories...but then for their set-piece they went back to a certain kind of fan service.

Maybe I should just go listen to the OblivAeon podcasts again. ;)