Bullpen #4

A grab bag of questions regarding the RPG that will continue into next month

Upcoming Schedule:

• Tuesday, August 3rd: Episode #184 - Writers’ Room: Disparation: La Comodora in the Extremeverse
  • Tuesday, August 10th: Episode #185 - Creative Process: Expatriette Foes
  • Tuesday, August 17th: Episode #186 - Writers’ Room: NightMist & Soothsayer Carmichael Team-Up
  • Tuesday, August 24th: Bullpen #5
  • Tuesday, August 31st: Episode #187 - Writers’ Room: Setback & Harpy Team-Up

Recording Schedule:

• Friday, July 30th: Episode #184 - Writers’ Room: Disparation: La Comodora in the Extremeverse
  • Tuesday, August 3rd: Episode #185 - Creative Process: Expatriette Foes
  • Friday, August 13th: Episode #186 - Writers’ Room: NightMist & Soothsayer Carmichael Team-Up
  • Friday, August 20th: Bullpen #5
  • Friday, August 27th: Episode #187 - Writers’ Room: Setback & Harpy Team-Up
2 Likes

Once again, Trevor proves how awesome he is… :rofl: That “Questions Time” song is amazing!

2 Likes

Oh boy! Time to get some errata ( and hopefully answers ) for the SCRPG!

Format for my notes

Timestamp:

• Q:
  • A:

15:50

• The Auburn Audience asks:
    – Q: If an ability doesn’t specify a location, does the ability only work in that location, or does it work across the scene? Does that include if the power used makes sense to be used across locations?
    – A (from Dave): It can work across the scene. The higher the die size, the more powerful and flexible it is. It was left purposefully vague so that it can be determined by the narration of a hero.
    – A (From Chistopher): The game in general only cares about location of things if the story and scene cares about locations.
    – Q: If there is a conflict between the players that comes up about how an ability is worded, and therefore how it functions, does the GM have final say about how it works?
    – A (From Christopher): If you’re not sure how something works, discuss it at the table. Given the collaborative nature of the game, just make sure that everyone is on board with how the game is being played.
    – Q: Would you prefer the GMs interpret Rules As Written for their table, or focus on Rules As Intended?
    – A: Focus on Rules As Intended, but to a greater degree, use how they work at your table. They are also hoping to put up an Errata and Rules page on the Greater Than Games website, and it is currently being put together (still a few months out).
    – Q: When a Reality Shaper uses Never Happened.

– Q (Continued): The players are wondering if this can stop a bonus or penalty would be applied to multiple targets with a single use of the ability. Does it negate all of the modifiers, or just one? Can you use multiple reactions to stop multiple modifiers?
– A (From Chistopher): It will only affect one mod, not multiple, with a single use. With multiple reactions, you could use it multiple times to cancel out multiple modifiers.

Apparently Dave has the power to fire Christopher?

• Steve Kaylor Asks:
    – Q: Do minions summoned by a hero still act when that hero is OUT?
    – A (From Dave): It depends on the narrative defining what the minions are.
    – Q: Is there a limit to how many minions a hero can create or control?
    – A (From Dave): There is no limit.
    – Q: Summoned Allies and similar abilities state that you chose which basic actions the minions can take. Are you required to choose the targets at summoning as well? What if they were set to Attack, but the only targets remaining are friendly?
    – A: The creator of the minions chooses who they target each turn, but cannot choose to not take a basic actions on their turn.

• Brian Jewet Asks:
    – Q: The Armored Ability reduces physical and energy damage.

– Q (continued): How is energy damage defined? Does it include things like a bolt of lightning or heat beam?
– A (From Dave): If it’s damage could be described using an Elemental/Energy power, then it’s energy damage. Generally, it’s meant to be non-physical things, non-mental things.
– A (From Adam): Figure out what energy types your character can work with. Elemental/Energy types to damage are intended to be picked out by the player when characters are generated.
– Q: The Frontline Fighting ability.

– Q (Continued): Does this mean they must only attack you, or does it count if you are included a multiple target attack?
– A: It counts if you are included in a multiple target attack.
– Q: Galvanize and several other abilities provide a bonus to every hero taking a certain kind of action. Flowing Fight allows you to make an extra attack for each bonus you have. Does the bonus from Galvanize count as a bonus you have?
– A: Yes. It is one bonus for purposes of eliminating one bonus. Unlike other bonuses, the Galvanize bonus would still apply to all attacks made as part of Flowing Fight.

• The Auburn Audience Asks:
    – Q: The Red Ability Push Your Limits.

– Q (continued): Does this mean you get your normal reaction at the start of your turn, an additional one at the start of each other actors turn, and then even more at the cost of damage and/or twists? Or was it not intended to give you an additional free reaction each turn.
– A: You get one free reaction as normal, but all reactions beyond that free one require you to take damage or a minor twist.
– Q: Is adding an extra d10 or d12 Lieutenant a good way to represent an extra hero?
– A: Whenever you need to include an NPC hero or ally in the scene, represent them as a Lieutenant.

• catdreaming asks:
    – Q: If you have Push Your Limits and Untouchable

Can you react to the damage dealt to yourself from Push Your Limits with Untouchable, triggering a chain of reactions to unload a great deal of damage? Also, is Untouchable purposefully the only reaction that reduces damage rather than taking the Defend action?
– A: It doesn’t work. Irreducible damage does not interact with Defends, and cannot trigger reactions to Defend. Untouchable does stack with Defends.

• Twitson Asks:
    – Q: Can an Action ability that let’s you remove a penalty be used to remove the penalty before it would affect your rolling?
    – A: No. You always do the ability text in the order it is written.

• Bartkf Asks:
    – Q: What counts as physical damage?
    – A: Materials powers, physical things that effect your physical body.

• Axel Arcos Asks:
    – Q: Does the bonus made from By My Command apply to all rolls made by minions?

– A: Yes. There are three durations for Boosts and Hinders: Single-use, until next turn, and Persistent. Bonuses with the ‘until next turn’ duration are not used up while they remain.

3 Likes

Oh heck, is that question song a new thing, or has Adam done that before? Because it’s amazing. XD

A lot of these questions remind me of discussions that we’ve had on this forum, and I think a lot of the problems people end up having – myself included, let’s be honest – is thinking of this as a game primarily, where there’s a winner and a loser between the players and the GM, instead of a collaborative story. And you can run SCRPG as an us-vs-them game, it’s just that you’ll eventually run into places where the system isn’t set up to handle that kind of approach, and that’s fine.

I love them forgetting they told us Tempest is egg-bearing ages and ages ago. :slight_smile:

The discussion of what qualifies as energy damage makes me think I might want to run toxic attacks as their own sort of damage, a la psychic. Might vary depending on the hero’s power set, too.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, during the recording Christopher mentioned we didn’t have a jingle for questions time, so Adam started filking it out. :grin: Trevor just took what he did, cleaned it up, and added his magic touch!

1 Like

I thought Paul was the only one with that power.

I took it as just from the podcast. :V

1 Like

I took it as meaning Dave could fire him from answering RPG mechanics questions, more specifically.

1 Like

I took it as fired from life.

I mean, Dave knows sharks… :unamused:

:wink:

1 Like

I’m only just now finally getting to listening through the episode, but since you’ve already typed all of this up, do you mind if I reuse this in my write-up for reddit and the wiki?

1 Like

I focused on the mechanical aspects of the RPG questions, but feel free to reuse what I typed up.

2 Likes

Yeah, I noticed, but it still saves me time stopping/starting all the time to get the same stuff you’ve already done. Thanks!