Definitive Edition Spoiler Discussion Thread

I have to say I love this one. :grin: She’s pretty overpowered in EE. I think the way they nerfed her a little while still improving her (e.g., Utility Belt’s power and Inventory Barrage’s overhaul) is just wonderful! :smiley:

She had some things toned down but I’m a fan of the fact there are more cards in the deck that are more worthwhile. Suture Self and Trust Fund are improved. Utility Belt also has more utlity.

1 Like

I just played my first Wraith game today and the really funny thing is, I think her deck is strictly better. Impromptu Invention became more unpredictable, but that’s more than made up for by other changes. The only thing that I think got truly nerfed was the Infrared Eyepiece, which was not what I expected – I figured if you’re going to make the Wraith more “strike from the shadows,” change the Targeting Computer to something like making all her projectile damage be fixed.

Maybe the other heroes really just got that much better!

1 Like

Just played my first game and… I think either Unity is overpowered now or I’ve been playing her wrong for years.

1 Like

Unity is a “win more” hero, to a certain extent. If her bots aren’t threatened, she can be an absolute juggernaut.

Wraith… I also feel like she’s a little weaker. Infrared Eyepiece got a huge nerf. Stun Bolt is Limited and doesn’t deal Projectile damage. You can’t use Impromptu Invention to immediately grab Utility Belt+Razor Ordnance+Micro-Targeting Computer+Throwing Knives right off the bat; the new Impromptu Invention is fast but it can grab the Sonic Nullifier or Smoke Bombs, which are not so great. She does have the powerful Flashbang Projector, which can be as good as Take Down in some situations, but it costs a play and a power.

Absolute Zero also feels nerfed. Probably because he’s missing literally every card I ever use with him. Especially impale and cold snap which I suppose is because neither of those cards actually played into AZ’s gimmick.

Bunker, meanwhile, I don’t know. We got dealt some really awful RNG in regards to him so we didn’t get to see him at full capacity. Same with Argent Adept.

Edit: Also, I’ve gotta be honest I kind of miss Flying Smash’s old artwork.

My copy should arrive by Thursday! I’m curious, how are the events (critical or otherwise) if anyone has tried them out? Particularly wondering about Citizen Dawn, as I remember Christopher and Adam trying to build a “stealth mission to the Citadel of the Sun” on an episode once.

This is weird to me since I feel AZ is finally fun and playable for the first time ever. I love the DE version.

Yeah, I prefer Enhanced Edition AZ. But to each their own.

Also, shockingly Grand Warlord Voss is now worse than Matriarch (he’s a 9 and Matriarch’s an 8. Or maybe he’s an 8 and Matriarch’s a 7. Can’t remember). And Argent Adept is a 10 on a 10 point difficulty scale. Of course, I haven’t tried him out yet so that might not be entirely true. I do have trouble believing there’s anything worse than Matriarch (even with good crowd control she’s insufferable. At least Iron Legacy only does, like, two types of damage).

The Matriarch has had a few nerfs. Most notably, her retaliation damage has been moved to her cohorts - so once you knock them out you can destroy her birds with impunity - and her cohorts don’t resummon each other so they’re easier to get rid of. She also destroys your stuff less.

She’s still a tough fight, but she’s definitely easier than before, especially if you bring a hero who can tank her ping damage.

2 Likes

Argent Adept was high-complexity in EE, too. And his deck has very few changes, mostly fiddling with the Accompanies his instruments can trigger.

We played Voss the other day…his first card was Forced Deployment, and that went from his weakest first play to probably his strongest. He definitely feels more like a “big event” opponent; he has an easier time popping destroyed Gene-Bound into play and he has a few new tricks up his sleeve. We finally did win (after dinner early and mid game moments where the situation seemed pretty dire) with Tempest down and Wraith, Haka, and Ra in single digits. Definitely a strong, cosmic-level opponent! We were glad we won.

2 Likes

If you mastered playing Argent Adept in EE, you won’t have too much trouble adjusting to his Definitive version. Other than forgetting which instrument does what now. XD

Yeah, I never liked Argent.

Well he has his fans. I’m among them, though he’s not my very favorite or anything. (I’d be far more interested in his fully overpowered version that’s suitable for soloing whole villains.)

No surprises, yet. I’ve thumbed through the decks, but not played, yet. Love the new art. I have to say the “we have got to stop meeting like this” in Tachyon’s deck has a number of feels. I like the new mechanics for Bunker and Tempest, and can’t wait to play a few rounds.

The spinners are awesome. Tracking health was always a pain in the old edition.

2 Likes

Perhaps something like . . .

Power: Play, Draw, and/or Summon up to 3 cards. You may use each Power on an Instrument card now.

Designing solo-hero mechanics is probably going to take more thought than that. If I wanted to try it, I’d grab 2 random Incapacitated Heroes and just have them start the game in play, one before and one after Argent’s turn. But unless his EE deck is radically different, his damage output is so incredibly low that it’d be almost impossible for him to win games that way, so really it would take a whole new deck.

1 Like

“Solo Mode” sounds interesting… I mean, I’m used to doing solo games on the apps, controlling 3-5 heroes, but having one hero cut loose could be interesting. It would definitely fit better with certain heroes (Legacy, Haka, and Mr Fixer, for instance) than others.

Perhaps taking inspiration from Oblivaeon’s Mission Deck would work for that. Just have the solo mode hero Have a certain number of Mission and/or other hero incap powers, and then adjust the scaling so that H is either 1+([mission/incap cards]/X). X is what would have to be playtested. I think either 1 or 2 (so each extra card is +1H or +.5H) would be a good start.

Another scaling could be having the solo hero start out with certain ongoings or items in play, but with the number of villains that have board wipes, that could be a bit of a gamble. Unless certain hero items are made indestructible (like Legacy’s ring).

Okay, may have to just make a new thread for this… Yeah, I’m used to house ruling stuff. An old gaming group modified D&D 3.5 a LOT… and then 80% of what we did ended up in Pathfinder 1e…

1 Like

On an unrelated note: Captain Cosmic without a beard is terrifying.

3 Likes

Terrifying is a bit much. It just doesn’t seem right he could be so baby faced.

Edit: I’ll note I’ve gotten more used to it though.

1 Like