Editor’s Note #72

I’m in agreement that the backstories involved likely matter way more than the gender swap.

IIRC our other genderbends are Flashbulb and Ermine who don’t sound much alike from the former’s brief sketch, Argent and the Ashen Heir who are only vaguely alike, and Haka and Arataki who are probably the best comparison in that Arataki has a higher ratio of boisterous bruiser to wise mentor so far but otherwise doesn’t seem dramatically different from our Haka (they even seem to share a thing for redheads *amusedcough*).

1 Like

I think of her as just Luminary. The real one, as I see it. Blade was just a imitation.

1 Like

That’s what of the odd things that comes with viewing all of these characters through the lens of the card game, as opposed to the lens of comic books. Heroic Luminary was a Disparation character (I don’t think even a very big one?). Baron Blade was one of the most central characters in all of Sentinels, who had a whole book in which he became Luminary (and played an extremely pivotal role as Luminary).

1 Like

She was the protagonist of the very first Inversiverse story and had at least one prominent story after that one (I’m not sure to what extent she would have featured in the era where the Inversiverse had a regular slot as backup stories in the title). While a Disparation character, she was a noteworthy one.

That being said, she was the only Luminary from April '88 through when Ivan walked through the door of Freedom Tower in January 2016. His use of the name would have been a reference for readers in-the-know. Sure, he’s the important character that everybody knows rather than just Disparation fans and so probably supplanted her overall in popular consciousness, but you probably got a lot of people in the Metaverse well-actually-ing whenever somebody tried to put a qualifier like “Heroic” or “Princess” on her.

My guess? She’ll be Inversiverse Luminary since we already have precedent.

5 Likes

My understanding is even a noteworthy Disparation character is still a lesser known/smaller character within the Sentinels world, is that off-base? Exceptions, of course, are the Disparation characters who manage to make it into main-line stories.

Oh, definitely. My point was mainly addressing the “I don’t think even a very big one?” in that as far as Disparation characters (that aren’t crossovers into the main continuity) go, she is a big one. That’s all relative, of course.

I mean, the Inversiverse is probably the single most-explored alternate reality because of its time featured in every issue of Disparation (from vol. 2 #75 through #122) in addition to main-focus issues. It’s just that because it isn’t a specific crossover reality like Iron Legacy’s how big it can get is constrained.

4 Likes

Not terribly surprising really, as any media franchise with a Mirror Universe is probably going to have it be a well the fans and writers keep wanting to dip into. There’s just something inherently fascinating about it.

(This makes me realize that I don’t think Marvel actually has one, though. It certainly has universes that have scattered reversed elements, but no real “everything is reversed” universe.)

1 Like

Yeah, I think it’s safe to say that the Inversiverse is the biggest alternate universe, Ivana’s the biggest character within it, and that she’s probably the biggest alternate reality character who hasn’t had any major interactions with Universe 1. (So, she’s right after Iron Legacy, Miss Information, the Visionary, Dark Visionary, and KNYFE.)

The Inversiverse also has genderbent Fright Train.

2 Likes

We don’t have any art of her. So I’m imagining Michelle Rodriguez in Honor Among Thieves with another two feet of height.

1 Like

Presumably with a cowcatcher mask, of course. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You know, you’d think I’d have remembered Express after remembering Flashbulb and all. Maybe I just need to join Wombat in the “obsessed with pretty boys” corner. (I wasn’t even a fan of pretty boys much before Sentinels, what did Adam wrought.)

And I want art of all the Inversiverse peeps, you don’t even know. We need an Inversitober one of these years to go with Swaptober and Sentinels of the Night, lol.

1 Like

There’s lots of [theme]-tobers that would be cool to have, but for some reason Adam prefers to spend his time doing arts for games that make money.
:person_shrugging:

1 Like

I know, the nerve, right?

Not that I would be adverse to paying him, it worked for getting Mangaverse Anthony and Hippo after all.