Episode #181 - Writers’ Room: Disparation Vol. 2 #119 (Freedom Five 1776!)

Hm, this is what I get for skipping the Publishers’ Notes. So, no addressing of the vultures thing?

She’s a girl with magical control over all birds.

Yup, that’s it right there! Washington crossed the Delaware to fight the Battle of Trenton.

Also, there are turkey vultures in the Northeast.

2 Likes

True, but with the exception of one card in the Harpy’s deck, which is much later in her career after she explicitly starts learning Nightmist-style magic, all of what we see from her Matriarch phase gives no indication that she’s gating birds in from miles away; the power of the Mask seems only to send out a psychic call to all birds which are within flying distance to come fry to the wearer’s location. This is admittedly not made clear at all, but in general my policy is to assume that a superpower/paranormal-phenomenon/etc. doesn’t exist unless it’s explicitly demonstrated to. When all we see is a bunch of birds gathering around the Matriarch, my assumption is that they were already close by.

Okay, I didn’t know that. Is the one shown in the card actually a turkey vulture?

My policy is that unless a given unusual discrepancy makes a plot become completely unworkable or it would add something particularly interesting to either the plot or a character to explain the discrepancy, I’m highly likely to apply the MST3K Mantra than worry about it.

1 Like