Episode 198 of the Letters Page: Creative Process: Villainous Holiday Plots

Hanukkah revolves around a guerilla victory over an oppressive regime. The lamp oil is something of an addition to that.

1 Like

The source I read indicated that while the “Hannukah Miracle” happens against the backdrop of Greek conquerors oppressing the Jews (which is a war I had never even heard of, I knew Jews fought Egypt and Greeks fought Persia, I didn’t know about this one), the specific “miracle” isn’t a military victory of any kind, it’s the fact that they were able to keep their menorah lit for eight days when they had seemingly only had one day worth of olive oil to burn. If all that is incorrect, then either the source mis-told the tale or I mis-read it, both of which are of course possible.

Under a leader with a name that means “The Hammer.”

Good summary here: Holiday Tales: Hanukkah! - YouTube

Also, according to my Jewish in-laws, Hanukkah is a fairly minor holiday. The gift giving seems to be something added to keep the kids from getting mad about missing the winter gift-giving holiday in America.

3 Likes

Many American Jews consider the “main” Hanukkah miracle to be the defeat of a powerful, well-organized, repressive force by a rebel militia. The Maccabees’ rededication of the temple, and the associated miracle of the lamp oil lasting long enough to get a proper resupply, is symbolically important but not what the holiday “revolves” around. The stories told, the songs, the dreidel game, and so on focus on themes like the struggle for freedom or holding on to your beliefs in the face of coercion. Here’s a good overview: Chanukah, explained. It’s November, which means the “holiday… | by Matt Samberg | Nov, 2021 | Medium

1 Like

Besides, guerilla warfare victory is a much cooler thing to celebrate than an overachieving candelabra.

2 Likes

I dunno. Having the equivalent of your phone at 5% yet lasting for a week is pretty dang miraculous.

3 Likes

As my wife put it when we were discussing various respective holy days, many Jewish holidays can be summed up as “they tried to kill us, they failed, let’s eat.”

4 Likes