Episode 211 of the Letters Page: Creative Process: Mechanics of Definitive Edition

It’s a one-off, but like The Matriarch, there was a “modern” retelling. In Cosmitron’s case that was in early Cosmic Concurrence in like 2008 or so. That’s where we’re told that the element of there being an intentionality behind the cosmic power-up rather than it just being this weird thing that happened. Of course, a DE-era retcon to how that all went down is also possible.

2 Likes

I can’t get over Setback’s hair on this card. Like, Setback always has crazy hair but for some reason I find this particular hairstyle hilarious.

1 Like

I’m personally kinda disappointed that it appears he no longer lost his hair in the experiments. :worried: I liked that representation: It was simple and accurate. No idea why it was retconned, though. Might have to write in a question on that… :unamused:

2 Likes

I know it was asked at one point. He did lose his hair but it came back quickly. The hair loss just isn’t depicted anymore. Granted I’m with you and wish that was still in the art

2 Likes

As sad as it is not to have a hairless Setback (that we know), that’s definitely not the biggest change I see with the Silver Lining card… I wonder if he’ll have another way of mitigating a big hit, and if Looking Up will make an appearance at all.

Could it be that the art is when he first discovered he had powers, and the hair loss (and eventual regrowth) occurred after that?

1 Like

I thought they just shaved his head when they put him in the tube for testing.

Unless they’ve changed the story he lost his hair during testing.

2 Likes

They finally read another of my letters, as I am the mind behind the mask of L. M. Mentalist. The grab-bag of characters I named at the end of my letter was hastily and poorly chosen; Skateblade should actually have been Pool Shark, as that’s who I was thinking about. Karnal is indeed one of the Spite clones, as Vertex is one of the axes I’m still grinding a bit; I want those characters to come back into canon somehow. And I count Inductor as a new character because she didn’t just change name, but also gained new powers.

PS, they missed or opted to drop one line from my letter, right after I asked about lingering mystery people from EE: “(No doubt if that last answer is yes, the fan demand to include these ultra-successful ninjas in one of DE’s later expansions will begin posthaste.)”. Whether such persons exist remains uncertain; I can’t think of one, but I also don’t know any Terrorform hints in EE, so clearly I don’t quite know everything. (But that will change once I gain the power to conspire with Wager Master and combine my universe with the Sentinel Comics multiverse, allowing the premier super team of my world to fight the Freedom Five and Unity over possession of twelve cosmically powerful artifacts before me and WM can get ahold of them for our reality-warping schemes.)

1 Like