Fjur's Villain Archive!

Unless the setting has a very different history than real life in regards to women serving in frontline combat positions, she’s much more restricted in what wars those could be than Bunker would be. She could have enlisted in the army as early as 1948, but it took until 2013 for the “no women in ground combat” rules to finally be officially removed, and 2016 until female combat troops were fully integrated into their new units. Her origin pretty much restricts her to combat duty no earlier than the last seven to ten years, and not even that if she’s still just in her twenties.

Of course, you could tweak your history to be much less restrictive about women serving in the military, perhaps aided by some early supers. What if the first super-soldier serums were incompatible with owning a Y chromosome, eh? I like that idea a whole lot. “Get to safety, Private Rogers. The Ladies of Liberty will handle these Ratzis.”

Jumping Christmas, that’s a lot of options when the whole crew is present. She probably can’t make sensible pools for every ability (even using the owner’s fixed P/Q die, which I assume come with the ability like similar PC imitation tricks) but there’s still some good options on everyone, and as long as she keeps her minion count up her status die should be good-to-great. Standouts look like:

• All of King’s action abilities, letting him do one of the ones Pawn didn’t and amping up the team support enormously
  • Both of Queen’s options, depending on whether Pawn needs single or multi-target damage
  • Bishop’s Clarity and Radiance are both solid, and Babbling is okay multitarget if Queen’s not around for that instead
  • Knight’s Glorious is an easy way to hit hard and get a free P+E bonus when timed right, and Mecha-Charge is good offense and global defense - if Pawn can narratively explain how she’s imitating a move that calls for riding a robotic horse :slight_smile:
  • Rook’s her worst partner overall, but he still lets her take Max die basic actions at will, which is real helpful for Overcomes when she can’t apply a Mastery instead

That’s a spicy meatball of choices there. Good thing she needs to keep spawning replacement minions to support her status die or it could really get out of hand. :slight_smile:

The timeline for recruitment makes me wonder if King was starting to get all OCD about finding a Rook for the team. Was there a point where he considered paying the Hippo to to work as a temp while wearing a stupid-looking castle parapet hat? :slight_smile:

Fun team overall, the theme comes through strongly while having more variety in styles and motivation than (say) the Wrecking Crew or Royal Flush Gang.

1 Like

Hmm, yeah, I didn’t think of that. Stupid sexist army. I think I’ll just handwave it as Artistic License.

True, although I think that the whole crew being present wouldn’t really happen super often; there are six of them, and most hero teams don’t have six members, so the whole group would usually be at least a Hard scene, and that’s without any environments, challenges, or minions, which would be fairly dull. I think at least roughly half the time the gang would be faced in at least two waves of 2 and 4 or 3 and 3.

I assume the same. Although the Pawn’s Absorption and Shapeshifting powers (and to a lesser extent her Fitness and Self-Discipline qualities) are meant to be able to be used with her imitation ability, which should make it fairly flexible.

Hah, that’s fun. : ) Although I do wonder if the Hippo would be willing enough to forsake his own theming for that . . .

Thanks! Yeah, part of my goal was to make them each have a unique villainous identity independent of the team, instead of just being a bunch of unpowered faceless mooks in chess-themed costumes.

I imagine that the Checkmate Gang first appeared as fairly silly adversaries in the Silver Age, where they were much less fleshed out, before getting more serious stories later on that gave some details on their backstories and unique capabilities.

1 Like

It is probably best to tweak it to much earlier for a comic book setting unless there’s a compelling story reason not to do so (like dealing with discrimination and sexual harassment in the services). It would be nice if a world full of superheroes was actually better than our own in some tangible ways - they ought to be doing something more than punching villains and saving the world, and encouraging more respect and equality for women is a fine option IMO.

This is true. Although you could do a difficult scene with a the highlight villain(s) as difficult elements (probably King if he’s there, and/or a couple of others) with their upgrades, and the rest as moderate elements with just their base stats. You get a 2:1 trade down that way, leaving some room for an environment and a challenge or something. Alternately, maybe do lieutenant-grade writeups for the team for those times when they’re playing a more minor role in the story.

Oh yeah, she could shapeshift into a mecha-horse, couldn’t she? Forgot about that.

Looking them up, I see the original gang is about two months older than I am, having come out in March 1966. They used the clubs suit for their first few outings, and were all childhood friends who decided to form a costumed gang after Amos Fortune (the original Ace) developed an energy source called “stellaration” which he used to charge up playing cards for everyone allowing luck-manipulation and limited mind control (I think - details hazy). He left the group shortly after their second defeat, whereupon they adopted spades as their suit and got a new Ace. Amos operated with other teams and solo for a while, then eventually came back and killed his old partners while fighting JL Detroit - only Jack escaped.

There have been at least two people behind each “card” over the years. It looks to me like their best stories have been in the DCAU rather than in print, particularly the revamp in Batman Beyond where they were multi-generational family of legacy villains using the the same motif with more grounded gadgetry - and Ace was now an android powerhouse - I think that used to be Ten in some iterations instead.

Oh, and in their debut appearance, they whup the JLA twice before the team decides to fight stellaration energy with stellaration energy and empowers Snapper Carr as “the one card that beats all others” - the Joker. So yeah, the Joker has canonically been the team sidekick of the JLA. Just not that Joker. Being beaten by Snapper is even more humiliating than losing to plain old Jimmy Olsen in one of those brief moments when he hasn’t manifested some gonzo superpower.

1 Like

That becomes even more ironic when one recalls that the real Joker later brainwashed Snapper Carr and turned him against the League.

1 Like

I think I actually had that issue - or has Joker used that John Dough alias elsewhere?

Returning to their base to try and figure out how to track down John Dough, they are taken by surprise when they find out that he’s been hiding out in their base the whole time.

That sounds like something straight out of Flaming Carrot, who eventually discovered his nemesis had been staying in his spare bedroom for months.

1 Like

And now, after all that team-ery, here’s a solo villain for a change of pace.

Lord Vulcanus

Alias: Count Magnus Sethlans
Approach: Bully
Archetype: Legion

Health: 20 + (:h: × 5)

Powers
Magma :d8:
Magmarian Control :d10:
Presence :d8:

Qualities
Domineering Will :d8:
History :d8:
Insight :d8:

9+ minions :d4:
5-8 minions :d6:
3-4 minions :d8:
1-2 minions :d10:
0 minions :d12:

Abilities

• :boost: Arrogant Ego (A): Boost yourself using Presence. If there are any heroes with their Health in the Yellow zone, use your Mid+Min dice. If there are any heroes with their Health in the Red zone, use your Max+Mid+Min dice.
  • Incomplete Control (I): Whenever multiple of your Magmarian minions all take the same action against the same target, you must roll all of their dice at the same time and use the lowest rolling die amongst them for each minion’s result on that action.
  • :attack: :defend: Pyroclastic Gout (A): Attack using Magma and use your Max die. Defend against all Attacks from that target using your Mid die until the start of your next turn.
  • :recover: Steal Essence (A): Remove any number of your Magmarian minions. Roll their dice and Recover that much Health.
  • Summon Servitors (A): Add two Magmarian minions of size equal to one die size lower than your current status.
  • (U) Empowered Thralls (A): Choose one group of your Magmarian minions in the scene. Upgrade all their dice one size (maximum :d12:). (When using this upgrade, Lord Vulcanus has 5 additional Health.)
  • :overcome: (M) Master of Enforced Order (I): If you have complete control over your immediate surroundings, automatically succeed in an Overcome to organize rabble to accomplish a task.

Lord Vulcanus
Alias: Count Magnus Sethlans
Height: 5’9"
Eyes: Amber
Hair: Black
Skin: Light
Build: Staunch
Costume/Equipment: A bright-red set of fine, old-fashioned nobleman’s clothes, including breeches, a coat, and a bright-orange cravat. His Sceptre of Vulcan is wrought from black iron and surmounted by a glowing orange crystal.
Approach: Bully
Archetype: Legion

Biography

Magnus Sethlans was born to an incredibly wealthy family. At a young age, though, his parents taught him a very important lesson: riches alone would not guarantee people’s obedience—for that one must assert a dominating presence and rule through fear. Magnus took their teachings to heart and cultivated his force of personality till he possessed indomitable willpower. Thus Magnus Sethlans became a respected member of high society, even after his parents’ deaths. More recently when Count Sethlans was travelling through Europe, he discovered a ruined shrine dedicated to the ancient Roman God of Fire, Vulcan, on a small island near Sicily called Vulcano. Inside the shrine, he uncovered an ancient artefact of great power. Soon after he clutched the item, several Magmarians rose up from underground. Count Magnus Sethlans soon learned that the relic gave him dominion over the molten creatures. Now, with the control of these fiery underlings, Lord Vulcanus no longer needed to be satisfied with the power his heritage and his presence could afford him, for he could seize whatever he wanted!

Capabilities and Motivations

The Sceptre of Vulcan gives Lord Vulcanus mental control of all Magmarians near him, and the ability to send out a signal that can reach all the way down to the subterranean realm of Magmaria to summon Magmarians to him. The relic also enables him to melt stone into lava or magma and then manipulate the resulting material, which can provide an effective offensive attack. Further, the Lord’s force of personality is immense, and he is very adept at intimating, persuading, and leading others. He’s also learnèd in history, and skilled at discerning the emotional states of others.

Lord Vulcanus has ownership of his family’s hereditary manor, which coincidentally happens to be perched on the edge of an active volcano. And in addition to his Magmarian thralls, Count Magnus Sethlans certainly has the means to hire mundane muscle on occasion.

The plots of Lord Vulcanus vary; sometimes they consist of acquiring more wealth or burgling rare art objects, while other times they entail seizing control of entire cities or even larger areas, or perhaps simply retaliating at an upper-class acquaintance who slighted him in the past.

Upgrades

Occasionally, Lord Vulcanus can channel even more of the sceptre’s power into his Magmarian minions, greatly increasing their potency and strength.

Editor’s Notes

Ya know, I don’t think it’s ever really established where or what Magnus Sethlans is “Count” of. (Presumably if he was asked what he’s Lord of, he’d say something like "The entire world is my domain!")

His surname comes from Vulcan’s Etruscan counterpart.

I seriously considered listing his Magma power as Magma / Lava, simply to satisfy geology pedants, before deciding against it. : ) His Magmarian Control power is simply a more narrow version of the Suggestion psychic power.

See pages 411-412 and 426-427 of the core rulebook for more information on Magmarians, their home of Magmaria, and their minion stats. Magmarians added to the scene by Lord Vulcanus’s Summon Servitors ability will probably be Inner Core Tunnelers or Crystal Collectors, while those acting as scene elements can also be Seismic Defenders or Ember Shamans.

1 Like

Lord Vulcanus has some pretty lofty ambitions, so here’s another villain whose goals are much more down-to-earth.

Hench
“I’m the best in the business, mate. If you want a minion, you can’t do better than me.”

Alias: Henry Hengstmann
Approach: Skilled
Archetype: Indomitable

Health: 35 + (:h: × 5)

Powers
Awareness :d6:
Deduction :d8:
Strength :d10:

Qualities
Alertness :d8:
Criminal Underworld Info :d10:
Fitness :d10:
Henchman Extraordinaire :d8:
Leadership :d8:
Technology :d8:

Always :d8:

Abilities

• :boost: Analytic Preparation (A): Boost yourself using Alertness and use your Max die. That bonus is persistent and exclusive.
  • :defend: Counterstrike (R): When Attacked, Defend yourself by rolling your single Fitness die. Deal that much damage to another target.
  • :recover: Jack of All Trades (A): Take any basic action using your Max die. Recover Health equal to your Mid die.
  • Tough Minion (I): Reduce damage dealt to you by 2.
  • (U) Criminal Associates (A): Replenish your minion squad up to :h:.
  • :overcome: (M) Master Mercenary (I): If you have been given a contract to perform a specific task, automatically succeed at an Overcome in a situation where the difference is getting paid and not getting paid.

Hench
Alias: Henry Hengstmann
Height: 6’1"
Eyes: Grey
Hair: Black
Build: Muscular
Costume/Equipment: A black-and-white striped shirt, black trousers and suspenders, and a black bowler hat.
Approach: Skilled
Archetype: Indomitable

Biography

Henry Hengstmann started out his criminal career as a fresh-faced new recruit in a small-time street gang. Things started to go well for the gang, they pulled off a number of robberies, and Hengstmann started to climb the ranks of the gang. But that was all shattered when the gang was rounded up by police and jailed. After Hengstmann got out, he decided to start his own gang, with him as the boss. He reasoned that the only reason his old gang got caught was because the boss was incompetent. He wouldn’t make the same mistakes.

Hengstmann gathered several crooks, and his new gang began to take shape. Under Hengstmann’s leadership, they managed to pull a number of successful heists, and things were once again looking up. But being the leader of such a successful outfit put a target on Hengstmann’s back from both law enforcement and rival criminals. That mounting stress proved to be a hindrance to Hengstmann’s efficacy and made him paranoid. And his paranoia resulted in his gang getting taken apart by a rival gang. Only Hengstmann escaped.

Hengstmann had had enough of gang-work. It was too risky, being tied down to one place and one group like that. Plus he didn’t like having someone else be his boss and not let him go about operations the way he wanted to, and nor did like having to deal with all the stress of being a boss himself. So Henry Hengstmann turned to mercenary work, taking the moniker of Hench. This, being a henchman for hire, suited him far better. He could stay on the move, making him a hard target to catch, and he was free to go about jobs the way he wanted, and without worrying about being in charge.

Hench is a consummate henchman. His skills are very versatile, and he is possessed of a muscled physique, a sharp mind, and alert senses. He is equally adept at breaking legs, hacking into automated security systems, leading groups of minions, and using his criminal underworld contacts to get anything his employer needs. This versatility is often his main selling-point for employers, as he is neither dumb muscle nor a frail genius, but the best of both.

Upgrades

Hench’s extended workings with the criminal underworld have caused him to make many associates and acquaintances, many of whom owe him. Hench doesn’t hesitate to call on these crooked acquaintances when his employer has tasked him with a particularly difficult job.

Editor’s Notes

Hench is designed to be the quintessential Genius Bruiser. That was pretty much my whole inspiration for him: he’s the best henchman ever 'cause he’s both strong and smart. His combat heuristic is fairly simply, at first glance:

1. On the first round, use Analytic Preparation to get a big persistent bonus.
  2. Use Jack of All Trades every round thereafter.

(I suppose a possible exception would be if the heroes destroyed his persistent bonus, he might want to make another.)

But the complexity of Hench comes from which basic actions he decides to take, which will depend on his goal. Overcomes for stealing or infiltrating, Attacks for fighting, Defends for bodyguarding, Boosts for leading, etc.

1 Like

Versatile baddie who could easily become a recurring villain the heroes get used to seeing, maybe even turning into a frenemy.

Comparing it to my own Skilled Indomitable villain, it says a lot about the system’s versatility that we share two of the four ability options and still wound up being pretty much completely different in terms of style.

1 Like

Indeed. That is the nice thing about mercenary types; they are very easy to justify being in a story.

You’re talking about Shift X, right? Yeah, one’s a compelling shapeshifter, the other’s a tough-and-smart henchman.

1 Like

Yep. In hindsight they’re a bit too close to Mystique in terms of concept, although I did try for a much more mysterious alien mindsight in their background fluff.

1 Like

I mean, the parameters that you had to work within—mutant shapeshifter—were pretty narrow to begin with, so I don’t think anyone can really blame you. But I do think that the enigmatic and mysteriousness go a long way towards differentiating them from Mystique, as (despite being a shapeshifter) she’s really not that unknown; we know a fair bit about her background, motivations, and capabilities.

1 Like

Sirrush the Warrior

“Ha ha ha! Your puny weapons can do nothing against the might of Sirrush!

Alias: The Destroyer of Sumer
Approach: Specialized
Archetype: Bruiser

Health: 40 + (:h: × 5)

Powers
The Blade of Ninazu :d10:
Vitality :d8:

Qualities
Close Combat :d12:
Otherworldly Mythos :d8:
Warrior Spirit :d8:

Green :d6:
Yellow :d8:
Red :d10:

(See page 239 of the Core Rulebook to determine Sirrush the Warrior’s GYRO zones based on his Health and the value of :h:.)

Abilities

• :defend: Battle Incarnate (R): Defend against an Attack where you’re the only target by rolling your single Warrior Spirit die. One other nearby target takes an amount of damage equal to the damage reduced.
  • :attack: Primordial Cleave (A): Attack using Close Combat against one target with your Max die, another with your Mid die, and a third with your Min die.
  • Relentless Ravaging (I): Whenever you Attack a target that you have dealt damage to at least once already in this scene, gain a +1 persistent and exclusive bonus against that target.
  • :boost: Thrive on Battle (R): When Attacked, use the amount of damage taken by the Attack to Boost yourself.
  • :attack: Warrior’s Strike (A): Attack using The Blade of Ninazu. If you are Green status, use your Max die. If you are Yellow status, use the Max+Min dice. If you are Red status, use Max+Min against one target and Mid against another.
  • (U) :attack: Ancient Fighter (I): When you take an action that lets you make an Attack, also make an Attack using your Mid die. (When using this upgrade, Sirrush the Warrior has 20 additional Health.)
  • (M) :overcome: Master of Annihilation (I): If you can cause massive collateral damage without regard for casualties, automatically succeed at an Overcome where a show of overwhelming force can solve the problem.

Sirrush the Warrior
Alias: The Destroyer of Sumer
Height: 8’2"
Eyes: Solid orange
Hair: None
Skin: Varies from blue, to purple, to red
Build: Massively muscular
Costume/Equipment: A brown skirt with blue and red detailing is the only clothing that Sirrush wears. The Blade of Ninazu is a bronze scimitar set with crimson gemstones in the handle.
Approach: Specialized
Archetype: Bruiser

Biography

Sirrush the Warrior is an ancient battle-spirit that hails from the earliest human civilisations of Mesopotamia. Not even the most learned of sages know his origin, though several possible explanations have been offered; he could be an otherworldly daemon or a once-mortal warrior; he could have been a servant of a war god such as Nergal or Ishtar, or the creation of a powerful mortal mage. But what is known is that Sirrush is a being of battle incarnate. He is also effectively immortal; he does not age, and on the rare occasions when when his physical form is somehow destroyed, his essence retreats back into his weapon, the Blade of Ninazu. Then, the next time the sword is touched by a living being, Sirrush consumes that being’s lifeforce (slaying it in the process) and uses the energy to recreate his form.

Thusly, Sirrush has existed throughout most of human history. In his lifetime, he’s fought countless foes, including Mongols, samurai, centurions, an immortal Maori, knights, and modern-day superhuman champions. He’s also taken part in numerous wars, including the Crusades, the Hundred Years War, the World Wars, and the Thorathian Invasion of Earth.

As Sirrush is a being whose very essence is conflict, it is difficult to defeat him with physical violence alone. The more that Sirrush is attacked, the stronger he becomes. If he’s damaged enough, he can destroyed, but not before gravely wounding his foes. Finding a way to mystically trap his essence in his blade, or restrain him in some other way, are always viable alternatives.

Sirrush’s Blade of Ninazu is a vicious weapon in his hands, able of cleaving through stone, steel, and durasteel with equal ease. Sirrush’s durability is also remarkable, as it takes a very significant amount of force to vanquish him. Further, Sirrush is a master combatant, having millennia of experience in battle — his skill is almost unparalleled in this field. Also, Sirrush seems to possess knowledge of otherworldly planes and powerful magical beings.

Sirrush’s hide’s default colouration is that of a dark azure. However, when he becomes more wounded in battle (and thus more powerful), his skin shifts to a purple colour. Finally, when he is at his most damaged and most powerful, his hide becomes a menacing crimson hue.

Sirrush the Warrior’s motives have never been entirely clear. All that is known is that his only goal seems to be to fight. To what ends, though, it is likely only he knows.

Upgrades

As mentioned, Sirrush the Warrior is a paragon of battle. When he strikes, he strikes hard, and fast, and with singularly unstoppable might.

Editor’s Notes

The name of “Sirrush” comes from Mesopotamian mythology, as does “Ninazu.” However, as is often done in comics, those actual mythological beings have practically nothing in common with this character here; the names have just been ripped by a comic writer.

The genesis of this guy came from a pretty simple seed of an idea — some kind of daemon-monster thing that gets stronger the more you fight it. The Bruiser Archetype — and the Thrive on Battle / Bring It On! ability specifically — are both really great for this kind of thing. And he’s Specialized because he’s just really good at fighting.

Although Sirrush’s description mentions some things specific to the Sentinel Comics Universe — such as Haka, Thorathians, and durasteel — he can of course be used in your homemade setting with no difficulty.

1 Like

Good straightforward iconic character design, and he could even be used as a (very dangerous and untrustworthy) ally of convenience. Plenty of villains out there can offer him a good fight too, after all. The dual reactions work well with one another, giving you something to use whether you’re facing multi-target Attacks or not. Also like the fact his current health is color-coded. :slight_smile:

Once again interesting that your Specialized Bruiser build is so focused on unrelenting offense, where mine wound up being a more defensive bodyguard type. Interesting how much variation you can with just a 6x6 matrix of abilities to choose from.

1 Like

Certainly! You know, the more that I think about him, the more that Sirrush seems like an Evil Haka. They’re both immortal warriors who’ve existed throughout history and enjoy fighting, but Haka fights to stop innocents from getting hurt, whereas Sirrush fights just to hurt people.

Heh, yeah. I was originally just going to give him a red complexion, but then I started considering other colours, before getting the idea to link it to his GYRO, as he is all about getting stronger the more hurt he gets.

Yeah, it is certainly a dramatic juxtaposition. : ) The Villain building blocks are really fantastic in this way; you can have the same Approach-Archetype combo but with entirely different playstyles. This kinda makes me want to intentionally try to build two different villains with the same A-A and make them as completely different as possible.

1 Like

I suppose it might be a little too on-the-nose to have a villain who literally glows in stoplight colors and goes dark when they drop, but I’m still going to have to make one someday. :slight_smile:

I’ve got another 52 pairings to go before I start playing around with that, but it would be an entertaining project.

1 Like

Er, ahem, uhm . . . is this thing on? Alright — I’m back!

So, uhm, as I’m sure you’ve noticed, I’ve not posted in this thread for a couple of months. Sorry 'bout that. Real Life stuff got busy, and well, it kind of got away from me, and before I knew it it had been two months.

But I’m back now, and should be posting more regularly. So, let’s get back into it!

Mistress Mystic

“No longer shall you plebeians be free to govern yourselves — for you are now under the mystical rule of Mistress Mystic!

Alias: Dr. Mary Morgause
Approach: Disruptive
Archetype: Inventor

Health: 30 + (:h: × 5)

Powers
Fire :d10:
Gadgets :d8:
Lightning Calculator :d8:
Toxic :d10:

Qualities
Banter :d8:
Creativity :d8:
Magical Facade :d8:
Science :d10:

4+ Inventions or mods :d12:
2-3 Inventions or mods :d10:
1 Invention or mod :d8:
0 Inventions or mods :d6:

Abilities

• :attack: :hinder: Caustic Burst (A): Attack multiple targets using Science. Use your Min die. Hinder each target with your Max die. If one of those targets rolls doubles on their next turn, they take damage equal to the penalty.
  • :boost: :hinder: :attack: Chemical Weaponry (A): Boost using Gadgets. Hinder with your Max die. Attack with your Min die.
  • :attack: Corrosive Conflagration (A): Attack using Fire and at least one bonus. If you have multiple bonuses, you may also Attack another target using the Min die and one other bonus, and may also Attack a third target using the Max die and a third bonus.
  • :hinder: Preemptive Splash (R): Whenever a target takes a Hinder action against you, you may first roll your Toxic die as a Hinder on them.
  • (U) Weakening Fumes (I): While the scene is in the Green zone, all heroes’ power dice at :d8: or above are reduced one size. In the Yellow zone, all heroes’ power dice at :d10: or above are reduced two die sizes. In the Red zone, all heroes’ power dice are treated as if they are :d4:.
    • Heroes may remove this ability with three Overcome successes. If a hero takes a minor twist, the hero must lose access to a power entirely until this ability is removed. (When using this upgrade, Mistress Mystic has 10 additional Health.)
  • (M) :overcome: Master of Mad Science (I): As long as you have access to materials, you can automatically succeed when Overcoming a challenge by using scientific principles and inventions.

Mistress Mystic
Alias: Dr. Mary Morgause
Height: 5’5"
Eyes: Green
Hair: Greying brown
Build: Average
Costume/Equipment: A green dress with purple accents and a tall, wide-brimmed hat in similar colours.
Approach: Disruptive
Archetype: Inventor

Biography

Mary Morgause was a chemist. And yet, despite her vast knowledge of the workings of the materials of reality, she didn’t get the respect that she felt was her due. She was treated like just any other person by those around her, not like someone who could control the very building blocks of matter!

To remedy this grave injustice, Dr. Morgause decided to don a supervillainous alter-ego to inspire terror and respect in the laypeople. Taking the name Doctor Materia, she kidnapped the mayor of the city and declared herself its new ruler. However, a group of heroes easily defeated her, as they quickly concocted an antidote to the caustic gas that she was using the threaten the city.

After escaping her subsequent incarceration, Dr. Morgause went to work on her next nefarious scheme. She had learned that being just another mad scientist supervillain wouldn’t get her the abject terror and obedience that she craved; another pesky hero would always come along and out-think her.

Thus Dr. Morgause hit upon the idea to veil her scientific prowess behind the facade of magic! The appearance of such supernatural power would be sure to cow the common masses into submissive veneration, and would make it more difficult for heroes to come up with their own scientific solutions to her chemical genius. And so, Mistress Mystic was prepared to act!

Mistress Mystic uses various chemical substances to imitate acts of magic. She can release bursts of caustic gas that harms and debilitates, fling vials of corrosive “potions,” and “summon” blasts of chemically-created flame.

The main method with which she dispenses her hazardous gases, liquids, and fires is via a discrete mechanical delivery system of tubes and sprayers that she wears concealed by her costume. She can use it to eject her harmful substances from wrist-mounted nozzles, so that it appears she summons them with magical gestures.

Mistress Mystic is also rather quick-witted and excels in science, particularly chemistry, her chosen field of study. She is fairly arrogant and immensely hubristic, and firmly believes in the idea that the most intelligent (i.e. the most scientifically-adept) should rule the rest of society. Due to her own pride, she isn’t too eager to work with other villains, but has done so on occasion with other masterminds of an intellectual bent, though their teamwork could be generously described as teeth-clenched. However, she is always glad to take on subservient underlings, and usually dresses them in faux-magical garb like her own.

Upgrades

Oftentimes, Mistress Mystic will outfit her lairs with an eerie green gas that subtly saps the strength and power of her foes.

Editor’s Notes

Miss M. was partly inspired by an episode of the old 1966 Adam West Batman television program, in which the villainess was aided by an elderly relation who was a chemist but also dressed as a witch for no discernable reason. So, it was that bit of Silver Age silliness that I aimed to capture here.

Also, I think that Miss Mystic likely tries to invoke and weaponise the Arbitrary Skepticism trope; despite comic-book “science” doing such patently impossible things, it seems like supers still get more shaken when they have to deal with “magical” stuff for some reason, so she uses that to her advantage.

Oh, and in case you didn’t know, her surname comes from a famous mythical sorceress.

1 Like

Fun concept.

This calls for a rival villain who started out in particle physics.

“Molecular chemistry? Mere clumsy parlor tricks compared to the ability to manipulate the fundamental forces of the universe!” - Doctor Strange Quark, the Sorcerer Subatomic

1 Like

If you want a good-quality secret lair or inescapable deathtrap, this guy is who you go to.

The Architect

“Yes! This deathtrap shall be my grandest yet!”

Alias: Archibald Tetch
Approach: Mastermind
Archetype: Domain

Health: 50 + (:h: × 5)

Powers
Inventions :d12:
Remote Viewing :d8:
Robotics :d10:

Qualities
Architecture :d8:
Creativity :d10:
Criminal Underworld Info :d8:
Finesse :d8:
Science :d8:
Technology :d8:

3+ environment minions, lieutenants, or challenges :d10:
1-2 environment minions, lieutenants, or challenges :d8:
0 environment minions, lieutenants, or challenges :d6:

Abilities

• :attack: :hinder: Deadly Architecture (A): Attack one hero using Technology. Hinder all heroes using your Max die.
  • Desperate Adjustment (R): Take 1 irreducible damage to reroll your dice pool on your turn or the dice pool of a hero Attacking or Hindering you.
  • :attack: Explosive Automatons (A): Roll any number of environment minion dice. Attack every target in the scene (other than yourself) with those dice. Remove those minions.
  • Insidious Activation (A): Activate one of the environment’s twists in its current zone or one zone closer to red.
  • Necessary Sacrifice (R): When Attacked, redirect the Attack to an environment minion.
  • (U) Sequestered Control Room (I): You cannot be damaged by anyone except yourself until your control room is breached. The room’s defences have 40 Health, or can be deactivated with three Overcome successes. If a hero takes a minor twist working on it, you can make an Attack as a reaction by rolling your single Inventions die.
  • (U) Reestablish Defences (A): Overcome using Inventions. Use your Max die. On a success, remove one success from the deactivating challenge. Alternatively, instead of an Overcome, use the Max die to Recover that much of the defences’ Health. This ability cannot be used if the control room has already been completely breached.
  • (M) :overcome: Master Behind the Curtain (I): As long as you are not directly involved in the fray and are using your influence indirectly, automatically succeed at an Overcome to manipulate a situation.

The Architect
Alias: Archibald Tetch
Height: 5’10"
Eyes: Blue
Hair: White
Skin: Pale
Build: Slight
Costume/Equipment: A grey three-piece suit complete with tailcoat.
Approach: Mastermind
Archetype: Domain

Biography

Archibald Tetch, the world-class architect, had become tired of the challenges that mundane architectural design could afford him. He had mastered the art, and looked for new, novel applications of his craft. He found it one morning when he was reading the paper, and his eyes alighted on an item on a recent supervillain attack. His mind wandered on the subject for a while, before it struck him: supervillains, like anyone else, need someplace to live, and the needs of their abodes are far more challenging to design than normal structures, as they must be able to repel invasion by heroes.

So, calling himself The Architect — a simple alias, he’ll be the first to admit — Archie Tetch offered his services to the super-criminal underworld.

The Architect is a master of the craft of architecture, as his moniker implies. Since he’s turned his unique talents to providing for supervillains, he’s designed mainly two types of projects: lairs and deathtraps, although some projects combine features of both.

In addition to various traps, hazards, defences, and robots installed within his creations, the Architect also usually outfits every room with hidden cameras, allowing himself or his client to monitor all the happenings that transpire within the structure.

Upgrades

Often, the Architect will construct a special concealed control room in the complex, from which he can observe the heroes’ futile struggles and control the various functions of his creation. From within this room, he is completely safe from attack, so heroes must breach its defences before taking him on directly.

Associated Environment: Lair of the Architect

Editor’s Notes

The Architect was partly inspired by the Mad Architect, a Golden Age Charlton villain that I read about in the excellent League of Regrettable Supervillains book by Jon Morris. Unsurprisingly, the Mad Architect was an architect who went around murdering critics of his work with, I think, mundane weapons like a gun or a knife. I was pretty disappointed by this execution, as I thought it was a waste to have a villainous architect who didn’t even use his architectural prowess for villainy! So here we are.

Due to the way the villain creation system works, I was kind of forced to give the Architect a huge Health total, with him having 70 Health at :h: = 4, which I think is a touch too much for an entirely-unpowered, frail old man. I suppose I could have had his Health total simply represent tearing down his building or locating his control room, but the Defence Shield upgrade just felt so right for that. So, I suppose, when he’s being used without any upgrade, his Health total can represent that, and when he does have an upgrade, his Health total can be, oh, I dunno, some kind of Indestructible Clear Plastic Box that he hides in during a scene while controlling the functions of his structure.

I’ll admit that the “expert in some field who becomes tired of the challenges that field offers and so becomes a supervillain” angle has already been done by me with the King, but eh, motivations are hard.

Incidentally, Archie Tetch here has absolutely no relation to another supervillain of the same name.

And yeah, “the Architect” is a pretty prosaic name, but I think it works for a Golden or Silver Age baddie.

Oh, and in case it wasn’t clear, his Remote Viewing power is simply his extensive network of cameras; he ain’t a psychic.

1 Like

As they’re so fond of saying on the podcast (or were, back when SCRPG questions were more common), Health means lots of things, not all of which is grounds for calling a personal injury lawyer. Like you said a lot of it could just be having to tear holes in the place to even get near him, with Archie nervously assessing the number of red “critical damage - system offline” lights on his master controls as his GYRO zone gets worse. Perhaps he’s also fond of scattering convincing decoys (holograms, androids, trick mirrors even) around the place that the heroes can mistakenly hurl Attacks at, which can lower his huge Health as they eliminate one more defense and ruin his work. You can sell the harm they’re doing by having him complain more and more about how they’re just a bunch of vandals and not even pausing to appreciate his art and do you know how much that cost to install, you ungrateful thugs?!? :slight_smile:

Literally no one in a supers universe should ever get anything but a “satisfactory” on their performance reviews. If you tell them they suck, they’ll turn villainous and come looking for revenge for the slight, and if you tell them they’re awesome they get bored and become villains out of sheer ennui. Only declarations of mediocrity have any chance of retaining personnel in the long term, and even then you really have to lean into workplace microaggression sensitivity training or you’ll have someone deciding everyone’s laughing at them and showing up at the office with a death ray.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s unfortunate that they’ve stopped addressing mechanical inquiries of all sorts. At least it’s fair, as I believe they’ve also stopped answering questions on SotM. And it does make some sense; the Letters Page has always billed itself as explaining the lore of the games, not the games themselves, and I’m sure there are at least some folks who listen to it but don’t play any of the games, and many folks who listen and only play the card game or the RPG, not both.

I know that Christopher and all the rest of the GTG folks have a whole lot on their plates already, but it would be nice if he and/or some other designers could sit down like, every month or two and answer mechanical questions on any/all of their games, either in audio form or just in like, a newsletter or blog-type thing. And they could use the same submitting-questions-via-electronic-form thing they use for the podcast.

Or, ya know, they could just set up those FAQs they’ve been promising forever. Maybe if a bunch of folks petition them all at once? : (

Very good points, all of these. : )

Plus, the availability of such death rays is just alarming.

1 Like