Fjur's Villain Archive!

Greetings, friends and forumites!

I’ve had a thread where I’ve shared several environments that I’ve made for the SCRPG for some time now. Well, now I thought that it’s about time for me to branch out and share some villains as well!

Like with my Environment Archive, permission is granted for anyone to use, adapt, or remix any materials posted here for whatever purpose you like. Feel free to use the villains in your games, and if you do, I’d love to hear how it went!

Villain Index

• A, the legacy leader of the twenty-six member Alphabet Gang
  • The Architect, a master creator of villainous lairs and cunning deathtraps
  • Captain Starbeard, an otherworldly immortal pirate captain
  • The Checkmate Gang, a coterie of chess-themed crooks
    • The King, a chess grandmaster and expert tactician and strategist
    • The Queen, an incredibly-powerful criminal speedster
    • The Bishop, a scientist overcome by a maddening otherworldly light
    • The Knight, an archaeologist unwillingly wielding the powerful Mace of Wayland
    • The Rook, an obedient stone golem without a will of its own
    • The Pawn, a disgraced military officer and literal one-woman-army
  • Doctor Shark, an extremist marine biologist and creator of destructive robotic sharks
  • Hench, a hyper-competent generalist underling
  • Lord Vulcanus, a power-hungry villain controlling an army of Magmarians
  • Miss Multitudes, viral-powered villain able to transform others into her form
  • Mistress Mystic, a chemist who disguises her scientific prowess as magical might
  • The Sharkolossus, Doctor Shark’s greatest invention
  • Sirrush the Warrior, an immortal spirit of battle incarnate
  • Windswept, an eco-radical inhabited by a spirit of elemental air
  • The Wrecko, a wise-cracking and wall-crawling demolitionist
3 Likes

To kick things off with a suitably inaugural villain, here’s the first villain I ever created for the SCRPG!

Doctor Shark

Alias: Dr. Salvadore “Sal” Achian
Approach: Creator
Archetype: Inventor

Health: 25 + (:h: × 5)

Powers
Inventions :d8:
Robotics :d10:
Shark-Lazer :d8:
Swimming :d6:

Qualities
Conviction :d10:
Fitness :d8:
Marine Biology :d8:
Science :d8:
Technology :d8:

4+ Inventions :d12:
2-3 Inventions :d10:
1 Invention :d8:
0 Inventions :d6:

Abilities

• :boost: :attack: Aquatic Genius (A): Boost using Inventions and use your Max die, also Boost with your Mid die, and either make one of those bonuses persistent and exclusive or Attack with your Min die.
  • :boost: :hinder: :attack: Selachian Versatility (A): Boost using Inventions. Hinder with your Max die. Attack with your Min die.
  • Sharkbots, Activate! (A): Use Robotics to create a number of minions equal to the value of your Max die. The starting die size for those minions is the same as the size of your Min die.
  • :attack: Swarm Barrage (A): Attack using Shark-Lazer and use your Max die, with a bonus equal to the number of minions you control.
  • (U) Autonomous Mega-Shark (I): Doctor Shark occasionally constructs a much larger sharkbot than is usual: a :d10: Mega-Shark lieutenant with the following abilities. (When using this upgrade, Doctor Shark has 15 additional Health.)
    • :attack: Marine Bombardment (A): Attack all heroes with the Mega-Shark’s roll. Use this ability only if the Mega-Shark is below its starting die size or the scene is in the Red zone.
    • School Leader (I): When the Mega-Shark Boosts on its turn, roll twice and use the higher result.
    • Sturdy Frame (I): When rolling a damage save, add 2 to the result.
  • :overcome: (M) Master of Total Chaos (I): If you are in a situation where everything is spiraling out of control, automatically succeed in an Overcome to accomplish a task by throwing out the rules.

Doctor Shark
Alias: Dr. Salvadore “Sal” Achian
Height: 5’7"
Eyes: Grey
Hair: Black
Skin: Brown
Build: Fit
Costume/Equipment: Sea-blue, form-sitting top and pants underneath a white lab coat. His shark-lazer is a small, hand-held metallic device that resembles a shark’s head with a crimson glow emanating from the open maw and eyes.
Approach: Creator
Archetype: Inventor

Biography

Salvadore Achian—Sal to his friends—was born the heir to an international corporation. From a young age, he decided to dedicate himself to helping the creatures of the sea. Thus, he used his hereditary wealth to receive an expensive, world-class education in marine biology, and went to work caring for the ocean’s creatures. He held a particular fondness for sharks, as he greatly admired their powerful majesty.

However, as he become more and more engrossed in his work, Dr. Achian began to realise that the number-one threat to the sea life that he cared so deeply for was none other than humanity itself. Careless, reckless humans poisoned the sea with plastic and oil and mining, they destroyed the habitats of sea creatures, and overfished them until their numbers were pitiable low. Even his beloved sharks were hunted down by filthy humans for their fins. And worse still, when Sal went to plead with those who were harming his finny friends to stop this madness, they turned him away. Dr. Sal Achian was enraged. No one cared for the lives of the creatures of the sea! Taking the name of Doctor Shark, he vowed to even the score.

After constructing a army of robot sharks, Doctor Shark begin his crusade. He targeted power plants, oil rigs, undersea mining operations, and any other enterprises that were endangering the sea. Sure, some people got hurt, some killed, but that’s what they deserved. More rarely, he would simply openly attack cities or other population centres on wild rampages of revenge. Other times he would abduct government officials or other individuals of celebrity and hold then hostage until his demands were met, which were invariably something related to improving the lot of sea life.

Capabilities and Motivations

Doctor Shark used his share in his inherited company to finance his schemes. He built numerous robotic duplicates of sharks, and outfitted them with advanced laser weaponry and razor-sharp maws. Although they were most formidable in watery environs, Dr. Achian also gave them retractable legs for traversing land and miniature jet thrusters for manoeuvring in the air. For himself, he built a hand-held shark-lazer, along with other shark-themed gadgets and devices. Due to his work, Sal is also a very good swimmer. And, of course, he also constructed a floating headquarters for himself.

Upgrades

Doctor Shark’s standard sharkbots are usually around the height of a person. Occasionally, though, he builds a much larger Mega-Shark, up to 12 feet tall. Such Mega-Sharks usually act as commanders of his other robots, receiving intel from them and directing how they act via shortwave radio signals.

Doctor Shark’s Minions

Sharkbot
:d8: Minion

Description
They’re robot sharks with lasers that can walk on land and fly through the air.

Ability
Marine Menaces: While in water, Sharkbots have +1 to Attack actions and damage saves.

Tactics
Sharkbots either focus on completing their assigned objective—which is usually to destroy something—or on protecting their master and chomping on anyone who tries to get to close to him.

Editor’s Notes

Dr. Sal is not to be confused with this Doctor Shark, or with this board game of the same name.

I started out just wanting to make a shark-themed villain; the idea of him being an Green Aesop Eco-Terrorist Anti-Villain (i.e., Aquaman but a villain) just sorta evolved naturally from that starting point. Like so many other villains, his motivations are fairly understandable—he simply takes his convictions too far. I could undoubtedly see him teaming up with heroes for a short time to fight a common enemy who is harming sea life (or, ya’know, the whole planet).

Why Sal didn’t simply use his company’s resources to help sea life is a mystery.

And yes, he’s a marine biologist who also knows how to build robots and lasers and stuff. Hey, if Hank Pym can get away with it . . .

Oh, and Doc Shark is totally someone who would prefix all the names of his stuff with “shark-”.

I briefly flirted with the idea of him using actual shark as minions, before realising that he’d never but them in danger like that. Hence, robo-sharks.

1 Like

And today we have Doctor Shark’s greatest invention!

The Sharkolossus

Alias: None
Approach: Generalist
Archetype: Indomitable

Health: 45 + (:h: × 5)

Powers
Flight :d6:
Shark-Lazers :d8:
Strength :d10:
Swimming :d8:

Qualities
Close Combat :d10:
Ranged Combat :d8:
Selachian Destroyer :d8:
Technology :d6:

Always :d8:

Abilities

• :attack: :hinder: Aquatic Havoc (A): Attack multiple targets using Ranged Combat. Hinder those targets using your Min die.
  • :attack: :recover: Chomp! (A): ​​Attack using Close Combat. Use your Max die. Recover Health equal to your Min die.
  • Ichthyoid Optimization (I): Whenever you roll a 1 on a die, reroll that die once.
  • :boost: Marine Upgrade (A): Boost yourself using Technology and use your Max die. That bonus is persistent and exclusive
  • Reinforced Exo-Shell (I): Reduce physical and energy damage dealt to you by 1 if the scene is in the Green zone, 2 in the Yellow zone, or 3 in the Red zone.
  • (U) Defence Shield (I): You cannot be damaged by anyone except yourself until the defence shield is destroyed. The defence shield has 40 Health, or can be deactivated with three Overcome successes. If a hero takes a minor twist working on the shield, you can make an Attack as a reaction by rolling your single Shark-Lazers die.
  • (U) Reestablish Shield (A): Overcome using Shark-Lazers. Use your Max die. On a success, remove one success from the deactivating challenge. Alternatively, instead of an Overcome, use the Max die to Recover that much of the defence shield’s Health. This ability cannot be used if the defence shield has been completely removed.
  • :overcome: (M) Master of Annihilation (I): If you can cause massive collateral damage without regard for casualties, automatically succeed at an Overcome where a show of overwhelming force can solve the problem.

The Sharkolossus
Alias: None
Height: Several stories
Eyes: Red, glowing
Hair: None
Skin: Metal
Build: Titanic
Costume/Equipment: None
Approach: Generalist
Archetype: Indomitable

Biography
The villainous Doctor Shark has had his plots foiled by heroes many times. Again and again, stalwart heroes have smashed his sharkbots and foiled his ingenious devices. Even his feared Mega-Sharks could not best them! And so the doctor set out on his most ambitious project yet: he resolved to build a gigantic robotic shark that could level entire cities! Then, once he let it loose on the land-dwellers, they would feel the vengeance of Doctor Shark, and cower in terror as the destruction that they had visited upon the animals of the sea, Doctor Shark’s mechanical monstrosity would mete out to them!

Like Doctor Shark’s smaller sharkbots, the Sharkolossus is equipped with powerful laser weaponry and a gigantic toothed maw. Further, in addition to the robot’s aquatic capabilities, it can take to the air with jets and walk on the ground with towering legs. What’s more, the Sharkolossus’ exterior plating is reinforced with ultra-tough dura-steel. It is also capable of performing self-diagnostic checks and then reconfiguring or upgrading its software in the moment.

Upgrades
The Sharkolossus represents a vast investiture of wealth, resources, and time by Doctor Shark. Thus, to ensure that it is not hastily dismantled by any heroes who go up against it, Doctor Shark will often outfit the Sharkolossus with a protective energy shield. This shield is powered by the same transflux energy particles as the machine’s laser weaponry, and is fed from the same power banks. While the shield is active, the Sharkolossus is unable to strike with its maw, but it can still attack with its laser banks.

Editor’s Notes

One little observation that I forgot to share in Doc Shark’s post: Dr. Achian’s first name—Salvadore—can be variously translated from Spanish or Portuguese as saviour, which is very appropriate for how he sees himself in relation to the creatures of the deep. This was not at all intentional; 'tis just a great coincidence.

That’s all for Doctor Sal; the next villain I post won’t be related to him.

1 Like

You have to be really careful assaulting those kinds of targets, they’re prone to leaking all manner of toxic crap into the ocean when damaged - even more than when they’re operating normally. Even just killing or frightening off all the workers can backfire terribly, you want to keep them around long enough to force them to safely shut everything down rather than risk some kind of catastrophic accident making things worse.

Now fishing fleets? Fishing fleets are easy prey, and boy do they deserve a visit from flying laser-armed robo-sharks. Just make sure you clean up all the nets, there are way too many of those loose in the seas already. You’ll also want some big jet-propelled robotic cephalopods capable of flying the emptied-out ships well inland so you can “scuttle” them on drylander cities. See how they like that kind of dumping.

One assumes that Doc has also wreaked his bloody revenge on Mike Myers and everyone else associated with the Austin Powers franchise for daring to mock his genius. Perhaps the Sharknado films were inspired by his attack on Hollywood when the 4th movie resumed production? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm, those are some good points that I hadn’t considered. I imagine that, some of the time, the comics would simply gloss over those issues, as all comic writers wouldn’t necessarily think of them. Otherwise, I’d think that Achian would be technologically savvy enough to shut everything down safely himself, if he doesn’t just do what you said and forces the workers to do so. I definitely see him as not the Baron Blade-type who doesn’t think through the consequences of plans; he cares to much for that. I could also see him hiring mercenaries to take care of all those tasks whilst his sharkbots run off the operators. On the other hand, though, it could be interesting for something to go wrong and Doctor Shark need to work with the heroes to stop some hazardous materials from getting released into the sea.

Ooh, good idea. Hmm, yeah, now that I’m thinking about it, it wouldn’t seem out of character for Doc Shark to use robotic imitations of other sea life; sure, sharks are his theme ‘cause they’re his favourites, but he’d be happy to utilize other types of sea creatures.

Heh, I considered making a sharknado joke in the post(s)—something about Sal using @FrivYeti’s Doctor Tarralok’s Terrible Hurricane Generator environment.

1 Like

Today be bein’ International Talkin’ Like a Pirate Day, so in honour o’ this prestigious day, I be presentin’ a suitably nautical ne’er-do-well for ye maties to be enjoyin’.

Captain Starbeard

Alias: Edmund Thatch
Approach: Ancient
Archetype: Guerrilla

Health: 50 + (:h: × 5)

Powers
Cosmic :d10:
Presence :d10:
Sea Animal Control :d8:
Weather :d12:

Qualities
History :d8:
Imposing :d12:
Mysterious Swashbuckler :d8:
Otherworldly Mythos :d10:
Self-Discipline :d12:

4+ Engaged opponents :d10:
2-3 Engaged opponents :d8:
0-1 Engaged opponents :d6:

Abilities

• :attack: :hinder: Astral Blade (A): Attack using Cosmic and use your Max die. Hinder a target dealt damage this way using your Max+Min dice.
  • :defend: Destructive Parry (R): Defend against an Attack by rolling your single status die. Deal that much damage to a different nearby target.
  • Otherworldly Retribution (I): At the start of your turn, gain a bonus equal to the number of opponents that Attacked you since your last turn.
  • :hinder: :attack: Wailing Maelstrom (A): Hinder using Weather against multiple targets and use your Max die. Attack each using your Mid+Min dice.
  • (U) Strength of the Stars (A): Choose one group of minions in the scene. Upgrade all their dice one size (maximum :d12:). (When using this upgrade, Captain Starbeard has 5 additional Health.)
  • :overcome: (M) Master of Profitability (I): If you have access to great wealth and other resources, automatically succeed at an Overcome to leverage those resources to get even richer, no matter who else pays the price.

Captain Starbeard
Alias: Edmund Thatch
Height: 5’9"
Eyes: Solid gold
Hair: Purplish-black, dotted with star-specks; large, bushy beard
Skin: Light blue
Build: Burly
Costume/Equipment: Standard piratical attire in hues of dark blue and black, including a coat and wide-brimmed hat
Approach: Ancient
Archetype: Guerrila

Biography

The being calling itself Captain Starbeard first became infamous during the Golden Age of Piracy. He appeared out of nowhere, took command of a ship, and began a long career of piracy. The dread captain is decidedly inhuman, as evidenced by the queer hues of his eyes, beard, and skin, and by the various obviously-supernatural powers he’s demonstrated over the years. When asked for his real name, Captain Starbeard has said that it’s “Edmund Thatch.” No one quite knows whence Captain Starbeard came, though there exist many rumours about that quandary. Some say he’s the product of nautical sorcery, a sea spirit bound up with the light of the ocean’s night sky. Others claim he’s a being who journeyed here from strange, magical realms that exist beyond mortal ken. Still others believe that the captain is simply an entity hailing from the stars, a strange visitor who came to Earth from another world amidst the vast cosmos. Regardless of his origins, Captain Starbeard has never truly been defeated or killed, and remains active in the present day.

Captain Starbeard’s most notable ability is his command of the ocean’s weather. He can control the winds, rain, stormclouds, and the occasionally lightning strike of the sea. His power is greatly diminished while on dry land, although not completely absent. The captain is also capable of harnessing cosmic energies, which he often shapes into the form of a cutlass. Further, he has a limited ability to seize control of the minds of water-dwelling animals, and bend them to his will. This ability works best of native sea creatures, but it can also affect freshwater animals with some effort. Finally, Captain Starbeard possesses a great force of personality, and has been known to be able to intimidate the weak-willed into comply with his demands.

Upgrades
On the not-uncommon occasions when Captain Starbeard is working with a crew of fellow like-minded buccaneers, he can empower members of said crew with fractions of his own mysteries celestial power, greatly increasing the threat they pose.

Editor’s Notes

Hmm, I do realise that this is yet another ocean-themed baddie, following right after Doctor Shark and his Sharkolossus. : / That doubling up on themes surely wasn’t intentional, but when I noticed that it was Talk Like a Pirate Day, I just couldn’t resist. : )

1 Like

Looks suitably piratical. Probably fell off a passing Spelljammer. :slight_smile:

I dropped all seven of these nitwits in the same post back in June, I think people will forgive you. :slight_smile:

Had forgotten about Pirate Day, maybe I can throw something together in time. I was actually working on an Ancient/Guerrilla villain myself, but he’s a rather different entity despite having some ability overlap.

1 Like

Heh, yeah. I did recently purchase the 5e Spelljammer set and have been reading through it, so that likely did influence me a touch.

Sure, but those scoundrels were made together as a themed group, whereas my situation was pure happenstance.

1 Like

Sure, sure, they were totally always a group and not a couple of random aqua-baddies that I decided to turn into a coalition of sea-villains because you don’t see a lot of undersea teams on either side of the white cape/black cape divide. Entirely pre-planned, absolutely. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Today’s post brings us the first member—and leader—of the villainous Checkmate Gang!

The King
“I’m already ten moves ahead. You didn’t even know that we were playing. Make your move.”

Alias: Vasiliy Gasparov
Approach: Tactician
Archetype: Squad

Health: 25 + (:h: × 5)

Powers
Deduction :d8:
Inventions :d6:
Lightning Calculator :d8:
Presence :d6:

Qualities
Insight :d10:
Leadership :d8:
Technology :d6:
Ten Moves Ahead :d8:

0 Other villains in the scene :d6:
1-2 Other villains in the scene :d8:
3+ Other villains in the scene :d10:

Abilities

• :attack: :defend: Check and Mate (A): Attack using Ten Moves Ahead. Use your Max die. Defend all nearby allies with your Mid+Min dice until the start of your next turn.
  • :boost: Masterful Positioning (A): Boost using Ten Moves Ahead and use your Max die. That bonus applies to every ally’s action until the beginning of your next turn.
  • Superior Coordination (A): One ally makes a basic action now, using their Max die. They reroll all 1s they roll as part of this action.
  • Tactical Cooperation (I): As long as you have at least 1 nearby ally, you may reroll all 1s on your dice.
  • (U) Hired Thugs (A): Replenish your hired thug minions up to :h:.
  • :overcome: (M) Master Behind the Curtain (I): As long as you are not directly involved in the fray and are using your influence indirectly, automatically succeed at an Overcome to manipulate a situation.

The King
Alias: Vasiliy Gasparov
Height: 5’10”
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black
Skin: Light
Build: Lean
Costume/Equipment: A black longcoat over black pants and a white shirt with a black chess king symbol on it, and a small earpiece.
Approach: Tactician
Archetype: Squad

Biography

From a young age, Vasiliy Gasparov was a chess prodigy. He became a FIDE Grandmaster at the age of 16. By adulthood, his skill at the game surpassed them all; there was no one left to challenge him. So Vasiliy turned his magnificent minds to other pursuits; he dabbled in mechanical engineering, but that, too, proved too easy for him, and posed little challenge. Then one day, Vasiliy was visiting the States for a tournament. After leaving the tournament building, Vasiliy witnessed a group of crooks fleeing from a bank they had just burglarised. The hoodlums saw Vasiliy too, and took him as a hostage at gunpoint. While the crooks were fleeing the police with their hostage, he observed their actions. He noticed that they were making some very large tactical errors in their flight, and helpfully provided corrections for their actions. With his help, the crooks escaped. Vasiliy was exhilarated by the experience, though, as he had finally found the one field that could provide a suitable challenge for his genius intellect—crime!

And so, taking inspiration for his new career of criminality from his lifelong passion, Vasiliy Gasparov has dubbed himself the King. But, of course, no king can accomplish anything without his army. Thus, the King swiftly went to work gathering allies to form his new criminal coterie: the Checkmate Gang.

Vasiliy Gasparov is an intellectual giant. In addition to his considerable innate mental talent, he has honed his mind to the highest degree. Years of playing and studying the game of chess has taught him thousands of different tactical manoeuvres and strategic ploys. He is an expert at reading people, and is able to anticipate the actions and reactions of enemies almost unerringly. With that knowledge, the King can cut opponent’s movements off before they even make them. Further, Vasiliy has engineered a number of useful devices to aid him and his allies in his new pursuit of criminal capers.

The King is also competent at leading and organising others, which is a lucky thing for him, as despite his intellectual and technical capabilities, he is very lacking in the realm of physical confrontation. He does posses basic training in hand-to-hand combat, but is of only average strength. The King keeps in contact with his allies in the field via the use of a unobtrusive earpiece that he personally designed.

Upgrades

Even with the other five members of his Checkmate Gang, the King does realise that if he has the opportunity to gain more forces, it would be foolish to pass that opportunity up. Thus he often takes to recruiting low-level hired thugs to provide muscle for his endeavours. The King will often give such thugs monikers drawn from non-standard chess pieces, such as Alfil, Dabbabah, Ferz, and Wazir.

Editor’s Notes

Yeah, I know that there’s already at least one supervillain called “King” in comics (a member of DC’s Royal Flush Gang), and likely others, but that guy is card-themed, whereas my guy is chess-themed, so they’re totally different. ; )

I spent a long time on Vasiliy’s last name. My first idea was Kasparov, but I thought that was too on-the-nose. Then I considered Volodin and Zherdev, before ultimately settling on what you see.

Master of Conquest and Master of Enforced Order would both also fit the King’s M.O., but I felt that Behind the Curtain was the most on-theme.

Oh, and in case your chess knowledge is lacking . . .

And in case it isn’t obvious, the genesis for the King and the Checkmate Gang pretty much came from me thinking, “Can I make a whole villain team based on chess pieces?” Speaking of which, the Checkmate Gang has six members: the King, the Queen, the Bishop, the Knight, the Rook, and the Pawn, in case that, too, was not obvious. In the coming days I’ll try to post all of these folks relatively quickly, but it might take awhile. I also figured it would be better to spread them out over seperate posts, rather than clump them all in one huge mega-post.

1 Like

Now I have this mental image of him sitting behind a chess board smirking when a luchador in a jaguar mask vaults across the board and puts him in head lock. He’s also neither Elvis Presley nor Jack Kirby. :slight_smile:

Nice mix of team support abilities there. Rerolling your ones ought to help a lot with those smaller die sizes.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I hadn’t realised that connexion to Kirby, but I’m definitely glad to take the unintentional allusion. : )

Huh, yeah. Interesting. That, too, I had not realised yet. Good catch!

Yeah, I might’ve made him less effective than he could’ve been by keying both of his rolling abilities off of Ten Moves Ahead :d8: rather than Insight :d10: . . . On the flipside, though, with having five other villains that he routinely works with, the King’s status die should be :d10: for most of a scene.

Already predicting one ability for the Pawn: “Google ‘En Passant’”: Reaction: When a nearby ally would be attacked, make yourself the target instead. Defend using (p/q), and deal the resulting damage to the attacker.

1 Like

I don’t know how you’ll model the Pawn, but if you’re going for a dumb goofy mook it might be fun for them to have a dog named Checkers.

2 Likes

Bruiser Archetype and Generalist Approach villains both have bodyguard tricks IIRC, but there might be something to be said for the Legion Archetype for Pawn so there can be eight of him in play at once. :slight_smile:

It’s barely going to make a noticeable difference with Check & Mate where you’re using all your dice with ones rerolling anyway, but switching to Insight for Masterful Positioning is probably pretty meaningful. Without any mods in effect, it would increase your odds of getting a big +3 global ally bonus from 1/8 to 3/10 when its d10 is your Max die. With a d10 status (and the one rerolls) as well your odds of a +3 are quite good that way. Plus it gives him more Quality variation between abilities, which is always nice when you can manage it.

1 Like

Hah, yeah, that is a good idea. Though, unfortunately, I don’t think Pawn will use any Approaches or Archetypes that grant access to such an ability. (And I’m not usually one to homebrew abilities.)

Hmm, I’d say that the personalities of the Checkmate Gang are all pretty serious, but then again, we are talking about a group of villains who are theming themselves after chess, so I feel like they could definitely be used in some goofy stories. As for the Pawn specifically, she is definitely a mook, of course, and I suppose she is only really used for muscle, not thinking. Although, to be honest, that’s pretty much true of all of them save the King.

Anyways, yeah, sure, Pawn having a dog named Checkers sounds like a fun idea, so I’ll say that’s canon. (For me, at least. If a GM uses these characters in one’s own game, they’re allowed to do anything they like.)

Squad also does. Curiously, though, a brief look through the villain section didn’t result in me finding any others. I guess villains are just more selfish than heroes! Also, I found the oddity of Indomitable and Guerrilla each having a reaction—Absorb Energy and Malicious Deflection, respectively—that just tell you to Defend, without specifying whether it’s referring to yourself, an ally, or either. The latter interpretation makes the most sense, I guess, but the vagueness still seems odd.

And no, Pawn won’t be a Legion, but I might as well just go on and reveal that she’ll be an Adaptive Overlord, most likely.

Hmm, you raise some very good points. I’ll definitely consider it, and mayhaps I’ll switch it out at some point in the future. We’ll see.

1 Like

And now we have the second member of the Checkmate Gang!

The Queen
“I’m the biggest piece on the board, kid. There’s nowhere you can run from me.”

Alias: Jenn Victors
Approach: Overpowered

Health: 55 + (:h: × 5)

Powers
Fire :d10:
Invisibility :d10:
Speed :d12:

Qualities
Criminal Underworld Info :d6:
Imposing :d8:
Quick Queen :d8:

4+ Engaged opponents :d10:
2-3 Engaged opponents :d8:
0-1 Engaged opponents :d6:

Abilities

• Deft Manoeuvring (I): If you are outnumbered by nearby opponents, reduce all damage dealt to you by 2.
  • :attack: :hinder: Destructive Dash (A): Attack multiple targets using Speed and use your Max die. Hinder each target using your Mid die.
  • :attack: Royal Burn (A): Attack using Fire. Use your Max+Mid+Min dice. Hinder yourself using your Max die. Take damage equal to your Mid+Min dice.
  • Smouldering Outrage (I): At the start of your turn, gain a bonus equal to the number of opponents that Attacked you since your last turn.
  • :attack: (U) Unstoppable Acceleration (I): When you take an action that lets you make an Attack, also make an Attack using your Mid die. (When using this upgrade, the Queen has 20 additional Health.)
  • :overcome: (M) Master of Superiority (I): As long as you are manifesting effects related to a power you have at :d12:, automatically succeed at an Overcome involving usage of those powers.

The Queen
Alias: Jenn Victors
Height: 5’7”
Eyes: Grey
Hair: Red
Skin: Light
Build: Athletic
Costume/Equipment: A white jacket over a form-fitting, black full-body costume with a white chess queen symbol on the chest.
Approach: Overpowered

Biography

Jenn Victors grew up in poverty in a crime-filled city. When she was a teenager, she fell in with a local street gang despite her parents’ wishes. Sure, she could’ve eked out a living in some low-paying job, but Jenn didn’t have the patience for that. She wanted to be at the top of the food chain, and crime seemed the most expeditious root to that end. In her neighbourhood, you either became a crook or a victim, and Jenn surely wasn’t planning on being the latter.

Unfortunately, Jenn’s gang would not last as long as she would’ve liked. A mole had infiltrated their ranks and revealed the location of their hideout to the authorities. A police raid a few nights later managed to round up all the members of the gang, save Jenn. She was cornered by half a dozen cops, and had nowhere to run. Then, suddenly, when she was at her most desperate, something inside of Jenn Victors changed. She raced past the cops. She didn’t know how, but somehow, she had managed to dash away from them without them loosing a single shot. Then she realised that she had run across town in an instant.

With her newfound power of superspeed, Jenn Victors became an even more prolific criminal. Now, she no longer needed a gang, and could commit any number of audacious heists all on her own. During one particularly daring break-in at a cutting-edge weapon manufacturing plant, Jenn Victors came across a man in a black long-coat with some kind of funny crown symbol on his shirt. Jenn soon learned that this man was also breaking into the same building on the exact same night. By then, the plant’s security had caught wind of foul play, and Jenn and the other guy—who introduced himself as Vasiliy Gasparov—realised that their only way out of the situation was to work together. Vasiliy provided tactical insights to Jenn, and she used her powers of swiftness to greater effect because of them, getting the two safely out of the facility.

Once out of danger, Vasiliy Gasparov told Jenn that he was a newly-minted supervillain calling himself the King, and that he wanted Jenn Victors to be the first member to join his new crew, the Checkmate Gang. Jenn thought that Vasiliy’s tactical aid could be useful, so she obliged, and he dubbed her the Queen.

The Queen can move and act at a much higher rate than any normal human, which allows her to run great distances in the blink of an eye and dodge and strike with unprecedented accuracy and precision. In addition, the Queen’s superspeed allows her to attune her vibrations to the same wavelength as light, thus rending her invisible to all observers and visual sensors. She can also use her enormous velocity to generate copious amounts of friction, which she can then direct at her opponents in the form of blasts of heat and flame.

The relationship betwixt the Queen and the King began as a purely professional one, as they both saw the benefits to be gained from working together. However, over time, the two did begin a romance, which continues to the present.

Upgrades

At times, the Queen is able to accelerate herself quite a bit faster if she pushes herself hard enough, which enables her to land more and more blows in the amount of time it would take a normal fighter to throw even one.

Editor’s Notes

Of course the Queen has the Overpowered Approach—the queen’s the most powerful piece in chess. (Ditto for Master of Superiority.)

I chose the Queen’s surname because it is a form of the name Victoria—the name of a famous queen. And I chose her given name because it’s a diminutive of Jennifer, which is a cognate of the name of another famous queen—Guinevere.

I chose to make Jenn a speedster because, in chess, the queen piece has the option to move to more squares than any other piece—it can move about to the highest degree.

When selecting her other Powers, I wanted to give her something other than Speed that was still related to that central Power. I landed on Fire because I thought it was something that superspeed could logically create (well, logical for comics), and is in contrast to the fact that most of DC’s speedsters have Electricity instead. As for Invisibility, I got that from an old Jay Garrick comic in a Flash anthology I bought. I thought it was an interesting, alternate use of “vibrations” besides the more usual Intangibility—plus it fits the whole “crook” vibe nicely.

I intentionally left the source of the Queen’s powers ambiguous. In the Sentinel Comics Universe, she’s an Omega. If you’re not playing there, then her powers can come from whatever the most common source of superpowers in your campaign world is, be that a metagene, mutations, dark matter, space rocks, cosmic rays, or whatever. The point is that the source of her powers isn’t super important to her character, so it doesn’t matter much.

I’d play them both as written, so “either” there. That makes them versatile, but they both have some catches. Absorb Energy has to reduce the damage to zero to get its Boost rider, and Malicious Deflection uses the Guerilla status die, which one of the easiest ones for heroes to manipulate - just let your best single PC tackle them while everyone else goes to do something else and they’re either stuck at d6 (with no targets to deflect to as well) or have to try to chase down more heroes and convince them to fight in a group.

Heroes have a few Red zone tricks that are similarly versatile, albeit a bit weaker like most hero abilities - Reactive Defense (Physical Q) and Heroic interruption (Mobility P) both let you defend yourself or allies at some risk to your own skin.

1 Like

Heat/fire certainly works. Weather (in terms of wind control by fanning your arms or the ever-popular run in circles for a tornado vortex trick) is another common option. I’m a fan of Sonic Speedsters myself, as a side effect of moving fast enough to trigger sonic booms - even on tiny scales like snapping your fingers or clapping your hands.

Invisibility is often justified as moving so fast that you slip below the threshold of perception, although they rarely explain how folks don’t notice the noise and wind of you racing past at such speeds. Vibratory rate adjustment actually seems more plausible in this case, which is nice to see in a Golden Age book.

DC didn’t always associate speedsters with lightning, that’s pretty recent in the Flash’s overall history. I’m not even sure when that started or where it comes from. Probably the era when everything started being tied to the Speed Force, which is not a concept I’m overfond of.

1 Like