GSF FAQ

Would it be helpful to add the info Donner provided in this post about a general ship overview to the FAQ?  I think it would:

Bjarlspire can take damage for othes and is a tank.

Ranak Warbeast like to hit all unengaged ships and blow up its own tech.  Especially effective when outnumbered.

Basillios likes installing and reinstalling tech for carious effects.

Tharendim assassinates ships that have low shields.

Karrach's (sp?) Claw rams ships with less defense than it has offense.

Vigilance converts shield energy to weapon energy often.

Marrot's Folly gambles on some tech and has tons of cash.

Conclave of Nyphon supports others and also has cash (gives them weapons and temp shields)

Uxshenti's Wrath is very mobile and can go through its deck quickly.

And Grey Hammer blows up its tech to damage other ships.  Especially effective vs. individual strong ships.

It needs some tweaks, but here would be my recommendation for a first game:

Setup

Take out the BTS, but remove all Qubrin Smugglers from the Opp Ship deck from the game.

Remove the Mission Cards from the game.

Remove the Flagship Panel from the game.

All other setups as normal.

In place of the Flagship Panel and Mission cards, you will have the following rule:

TRAVEL: Play the top card of the Opp Ship deck into the Sector with the most Opp ships.

The idea is to teach you alsmot of the rules, while taking a few things out. PLaying the top card of the deck each round can be rough, but you will quickly learn to minimize the damage. Instead of a Flagship fight, the final battle here will be against a Sector full of ships, with more coming. This will also show you how to handle multiple ships at once for the greatest effect. Using the right cards, making your move at the right time, etc.

An errata section would be nice. For instance, I've heard that a few of the mission cards have the wrong backs, but I have no idea which ones or what text they should have. I don't think we have to concern ourselves with typos - only things that are going to affect gameplay.

I would really like more clarification on bounties. Reading the rules conservatively, you only get the Bounty if you scrap the ship in battle. Not if you scrap it by playing a card, or by something one of your techs do, or anything. It would be nice to have a generalized list of the things that get you the bounty and the things that don't, if it isn't what my reading says.

We ran into an interesting situation where someone scrapped a card from their hand. It was a green boost card though. We decided it should be scrapped not recycled, since it wasn't being played. The correct answer to that situation might be nice to have in the FAQ.

And finally, there's a "Boots" typo in the doc =)

Not sure if you meant in general or in the FAQ, but you get the bounty whenever an SF ship scraps an Opp ship, whenever that is, during battle or not.

It should be scrapped. I will look into putting that in.

Thanks for the typo.

If you play a card that causes an Opp ship to be scrapped, is it "the SF ship" scrapping it though? That's what's not clear to me.

For example, there's a boost where all strike force ships in the sector lose one energy and you can scrap any non-boss ship in the sector. Would that get you the bounty for the scrapped ship?

I am only waiting for the official answer to those questions before adding them in. I also want to add in a section about specific card interactions.

Yes. Scrapping an Opp ship with Strike Force Tactics counts for the Bounty.

I just got my copy and haven't had a chance to play.   So what affects come into play that would scrap an opp ship but not result in any of the Strike Force ships to get the bounty?

Apologies, but I don't know any of the names for anything yet. I played last night with a sector that, in the Aftermath phase, removes one energy from every engaged ship. It happened to remove the last energy from an opposition ship that I had fought, but not quite taken out. I assume that the bounty for this would be lost since the sector directly caused it to be scrapped, not my actions.

Grysqrl is correct.

There are a bunch of Sector effects, Mission effects, and Bounty effects that can remove energy from Opposition ships. None of those effects are coming from your SF ship or its deck, so if an Opp is scrapped by them no one would get that bounty. 

A friend asked if there is a GSF FAQ, so I found the link to the Google doc Pydro is keeping and  sent it to him.

I am not very familiar with Galactic Strike Force, so it's difficult for me to tell at a glance how much of the information in this doc is new or different from what is in the rules for GSF.

I did not see a question/answer format in the doc, as I expected from a FAQ, but rather what looks like an attempt to write a complete set of rules. Is that correct? Am I misinterpreting this document?

No, it is more of a complete set of rules than a true FAQ. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention that there are no questions in the FAQ. It initially started as a collection of questions that Christopher answered. I eventually changed the format, but kept the same name.

The FAQ has a lot more detailed info then the rulebook, and I didn’t specifically point out the new info.

Thanks for the clarification. I think that will help me both understand how to use it and how to explain it to others.

But it doesn't contradict the rulebook, right? Just adds details / clarifications?

It does contradict the rulebook at least once I can recall offhand, regarding setup.

If you have to scrap a tech from your ship (due to a card saying to do so, not from loss of energy), do you have to go from the outside in? I couldn't find anything in the FAQ to say one way or the other.

No. I will try to add it in.

If it's not due to damage from combat or an ability that does [E]  damage you should be able to can scrap any tech you want.