SCRPG Resource Blog Updating Again

I was actually unaware that Oscar Goldman was the name of a fictional character until I googled it just now. I just suggested that surname because of the obvious “gold” reference. The character reference was just a happy accident.

Ignore this, I was wrong. It turns out the original AZ was Henry Goodman.

1 Like

See, I grew up watching the Six Million Dollar Man (pre-cable TV didn’t exactly leave you with much in the way of viewing options). Even had his action figure, because my parents didn’t watch the show and assumed he was the hero. I’m embarrassed I needed a memory nudge (unintentional though it might have been) considering how perfect a fit it is. :slight_smile:

Apparently there was a real-world mathematician of the same name, whose most noteworthy accomplishment seems to have been surviving getting shot by a disgruntled student at U Penn back in 1970. He didn’t get his own action figure, though.

1 Like

Another Titan archetype villain, built to be a bit less powerful than they usually are. They don’t all need to be Godzilla’s cousin, but even a weak Titan still takes some real work to drag down.

Mister Big Junior

Tom Donovan is the son of Jim Donovan, aka Mister Big, a super-powered mobster who was active in the early 1950s and died in prison in 2012.

Is there any relation between the Mister Big Donovan family and Jonathan Donovan, alias Maniac Jack, alias Spite?

1 Like

Not unless you use Tom (or his deceased father) in a Sentinels universe and decide to connect them. My own setting doesn’t have a Spite, or even a close cognate to him. I guess maybe the Silent Harvester is kind of close thematically, although he’s conceptually more of a movie-style mad slasher than a slightly more grounded serial killer type.

There might be a Donovan sister or sisters getting into the act though. Tom is kind of a sexist jackass, and his ex-wives and their kids don’t exactly keep him in the loop.

Oh, and another new villain with a thoroughly unoriginal name:

Strongarm - former hapless henchman/involuntray test subject turned bionic super-thug for hire

1 Like

Another hero writeup on the blog today, this time a collaborative effort with an old friend of mine who wanted to try a one-shot last weekend with my semi-regular group while he was in town.

Sergeant Adamant, Bionic Hero

2 Likes

Two villains and their signature minions added to the blog today, along with a rare (and lengthy) delve into the kind of meta stuff GTG loves so much, with a discussion of how these villains have evolved during their lengthy faux publication history. Still useable without - just pick whichever era appeals most and use that for their motivation and personality - but it was an interesting creative experiment doing the full writeup. Not going to start my own wall of post-it notes, though. That’s too deep a dive for me.

Redd Hott & Fever Dream

1 Like

Been ailing this week, but here’s another hero - well, two forms of the same hero, both of which I’ve gotten to use once now. Still can’t decide which one I prefer in terms of mechanics. Maybe I should do a villain write-up for him to reflect the stretch where he was a scenery-chewing madman with an evil fire elemental living in his brain…

Doctor Atomico

1 Like

And another villain, this one a gravity manipulating mercenary with a reputation as a hero-killer, quite strong against teams but a bit weaker against anyone brave enough to tackle him solo.

Downfall

Despite some visual similarities, he hasn’t met Abyss yet. The two might get confused for one another by inexperienced heroes, no doubt to their detriment.

New post with a writeup for the four-person hero team that I’ve been playing in for a while now - not exactly the Justice League, but maybe a bit ahead of the great Lakes Avengers.

The Tri-City Foursome

3 Likes

I’ll leave it up to the readers to decide which one of them is my alter-ego in game.

Hmm, this is awfully tough. These are my best guesses, ranked in order:

1. Troubleshooter
  2. Uplift
  3. The Malleable Man
  4. Stalwart
1 Like

Heh. If I deny being Troubleshooter, then we’re at most only three more tries from pinning me down. I’ll leave it as a mystery. :slight_smile:

I did have an old D&D fighter who was significantly less intelligent than the sword he carried, so I can’t say there’s no precedent for me playing that kind of character, though.

1 Like

New villain on the blog, very much inspired by fjur’s Time Cataclysm environment as well as DC’s excessive fondness for rebooting their continuity over and over and over again. Also another disastrous environment and some minions to go with it.

Johnny Crisis

1 Like

Glad I found your resource blog. This game is so great, but everywhere I go to get info and tips seems to focus on the Sentinel Comics characters and I don’t have an interest in pre-gen stuff related to the card game. Thanks for your work.

If anyone is interested, I started a solo campaign using GM emulation tools. I’m three scenes in and it’s working so well that much of my writeups are about the system itself. I’m trying to sell it to others that haven’t heard of it, I realize.

Here’s the link to the first three scenes: PROJECT FIVE - Rebooting My 80s Superhero Team for SOLO PLAY

2 Likes

Interesting, going to have to take some time to go through all the Project Five posts. Lot of content there.

I see great minds think alike, we both have Malleable Man heroes written up - because the stretchy guys are always the most fun, right? Unless you’re that jerk Reed Richards. :slight_smile:

Oh, and welcome to the forum here. Always glad to see another active poster.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I saw your Malleable Man. I’m afraid I’ll have to file a cease and desist order. My copyright goes back to the 1980s.

Maybe we can work something out, though. :grinning:

1 Like

Mine was originally an old V&V character, so - 1979 or 1980, methinks? Not sure i picked it up the year it was first published, and I remember being a little cranky about 2nd ed coming out so soon afterwards. Even back then he had that screwy “I’m not stretching, that’s just how it looks to you when I bend reality to my will” schtick.

Like his mechanics better in SCRPG though. I’ve dusted off a fair few old character concepts for the game that haven’t seen the light of day in years.

1 Like

You win! But great minds think alike, so win/win.

I know I was playing D&D/AD&D in 1979-80 and discovered supes RPGs soon after when a comic/hobby shop opened nearby. V&V 2e was my first–loved the random tables for powers and the creative fun of giving them a theme that made sense. Never played it, though. Champions 2e had me creating characters by the dozens–but never played. Also had Golden Heroes, Heroes Unlimited, Superworld, and both the DC and Marvel Games. DC Heroes was the only one I ever got played.

Anyway, good to meet another old dude with the same interests.

1 Like

We used to use the V&V character generation system as a drinking game in college. You rolled your random set of powers, had five minutes to think about it, then had to come up with an origin story that explained why you had whatever bizarre mix the system had thrown you. Every time someone calls BS you had to drink.

Out of your list, I think DC and Marvel were the only ones I didn’t play. Owned both, but my circle (and myself) always preferred DIY settings and characters to published ones. Which makes SCRPG something of an anomaly for me.

1 Like

New mystical hero on the blog today, which was a collaborative effort to make a friend a quick character for a one-time appearance over the weekend. He handled the concept and the major decisions, I did the number crunching and suggested some abilities. He wound up playing as a guest star with our usual Tri-City Foursome group, a rare five-player outing for us. We wound up dealing with some spooky shenanigans in a haunted rural farm that turned out to have a hole in local reality, as is so often the case. Good October game session, anyway.

Stormseer, Mysterious Super-Mage

I realized partway through the game that Stormseer managed to overlap a lot of abilities with series regular Troubleshooter (they’re both Marksmen archetypes) but the two characters played differently enough that I think I’m the only one who noticed. We’ll keep him around for the next time Dave can make one of our regular sessions or one-shots. His wandering amnesiac schtick makes him a good fit for showing up for random team-ups.

1 Like