Sentinels // Marvel-DC Parallels

I tend to see Fanatic as a cross between Hawkgirl (particularly the Justice League animated version, in both aesthetic and attitude) and Ghost Rider (in terms of power sets and link between spirit and human forms).  The idea of a Spirit of Vengeance is much closer to Fanatic than rage-fueled science monster to me. 

Fair enough! I guess I was focusing on how both Hulk and Fanatic seem to grow in power proportionately with the strength of their emotions. Fanatic's fights in the Cosmic Contest sent me down that train of thought. But yeah, now that I'm thinking about it, Ghost Rider is a pretty good comparison. 

Southwest Sentinels not really Fantistic Four

The FF are one of top teams in setting at least 3 of them can carry a solo comic

SS are really only seen together and the 4 working together are fighting at the level of one A list hero 

Sentinels = Power Pack 

Also we have not discussed seperate members of Sentinels 

Dr Medico = healing and energy shenanigens = Raven DC comics Teen Titians

Writhe = Shadow Thief, Obsidien DC

Mainstay = Super strong + tough biker dude = pick a 90's character

Idealist = young + energy constructs the cute elf girl green lantern 

I think a lot of the comparison between the Sentinels and the Fantastic Four comes in the aethetics:

Johnny Storm -- guy made out of living energy, with emotional control issues -- Doctor Medico (especially after the whole Gloomweaver thing)

Ben Grimm -- tough guy with a stony exterior and a heart of gold -- Mainstay (especially his Shard-Strength look)

Reed Richards -- Obsessive science nerd with amorphous powers and a bunch of super-science gadgets no one else can use or understand -- Writhe

Sue Storm -- (as much as I hate to say this, because casual sexism in comics) the girl one, with powers related to her concentration and mental state -- Idealist

True, the FF are individually very powerful.  I'm not sure which 3 you think "can" carry a solo comic--The Thing and The Human Torch actually did so, and both of the other two are even harder to deal with when they aren't holding back.

But Power Pack?  Even collectively they never take on any serious threats except in a joke/kiddie sort of way, where either they get incredibly lucky or the bad guy lets them off easy.  They're hard to compare because it's a very different sort of comic.

Nobody has nominated Kaagra Warfang as Grandmaster yet?

My wife would like to suggest K.N.Y.F.E. as Captain Marvel. She's quippy, punchy, has energy powers, and certain backstory details with the new movie.

3rd i was thinking of was Sue with all the Lady Liberator content.

Don’t forget the military history too, pretty prominent for both of them.

Yeah, I was shying away from spoilers, because as I understand it from my wife who reads the comics, they significantly reimagined Captain Marvel’s backstory for the movie. But, yeah, what she was thinking of was that both were a member of a military organization separated from her original home; she went through an arc where she started devoted to that organization, learned their darker side, and then came to fight against them; and then she goes off into space to have space adventures.

Personally, I view Cricket as a Daredevil analogue. Telescoping staff, martial arts, great hearing and echonavigation?

Also,  Benchmark is thematically closer to Robocop than Iron Man.  The body modification certainly, but it's the "unwitting tool of evil corporation recognizing he should disobey" that comes through so clearly in his flavor text.

True, bus as far as relating him to either Marvel or DC, I’d say Iron Man is more acurate.

[quote=“PlatinumWarlock, post:3, topic:18931”]
Plague Rat - - Man-Bat, Morbius the Living Vampire, Killer Croc[/quote]

The Lizard is particularly apt, especially the version in the Amazing Spider-Man movie, where he tries to turn other people into mutants like himself. Granted Plague Rat isn’t trying to do that…

I would equate him particularly to the Scarlet Witch, because his powers are all about making slight adjustments in favor of the hero team, which feels similar to Wanda’s hexes (comic book Wanda that is; the movie Wanda is more like Visionary without the mind-reading).

Who?

More than anyone else, the Injustice version of Supes is the ideal fit here.

Isnt Ace the big strong robot? I’m not seeing the parallel here.

A buddy of mine claims that Sgt. Steel and his team are an exact match for the characters of the video game Team Fortress 2. I don’t know the game myself, but his description sounded pretty spot-on.

Wolverine, obviously! She has energy blades rather than adamantium claws, but it’s very spot-on otherwise, especially with some of the attitude in her flavor text.

Her archer powers are obviously Hawkeye/Green Arrow, while her deck control and such makes me think of Oracle or Professor Xavier.

I always describe Setback as “spider-man without spider-powers”. The parallels are overwhelming, ranging from the art on his incap side to the fact that his enemies include a Venom analog, Plague Rat as a stand-in for various animal-monster-people, and a Sinister Six led by Kraven the Hunter. But the most defining aspect of Spidey as a character, to quote another old friend of mine, is that he’s “the only super-hero with more problems than powers”. So Setback’s cursed luck and his obliviousness about same are a perfect fit; like Spidey, he constantly suffers but never gives up.

Juggernaut, obviously! I don’t even know who Brick is (unless you’re just using it as a term for a general character archetype).

Crossbones is the one who actually was Borr, Speedball just blamed himself Wanda-style.

I would also equate him to Darkseid, particularly the Infinite Crisis version. Other DC characters who have played this kind of “ultimate destroyer of everything” role have included Imperiex from Our Worlds At War and the Anti-Monitor from the original Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Since these both come from outside the superhero comics universe, I should clarify that The Dude is from the film The Big Lebowski (he isnt superhuman in any way, he just provides the look and the attitude), and Iroh is a mentor figure fro the anime Fullmetal Alchemist. There really isn’t a character even vaguely like the Scholar anywhere in Marvel, DC, or even Image or Dark Horse as far as I can recall.

Benchmark has a particularly specific inspiration (as far as I know; it’s possible the idea actually came from something else, but it sure seems like it must have been this). There’s a specific 90s-ish story arc where Lex Luthor founds an organization called Infinity Inc, where he uses a serum to give superpowers to several normal people, who then work as a superhero team to generate good PR for him. (The most notable member of this group is Natasha Irons, the daughter of Steel.) The whole Revocorp/Benchmark situation seems very analogous to this IMO.

There were multiple Royal Flush Gangs, a different Ace was probably being referred to.

What? Searching for “Iroh” and “Iroh Fullmetal Alchemist” on Google only turns up results about the character Iroh from the American Avatar: The Last Airbender show. Furthermore, in The Scholar’s episode of The Letters Page, it was confirmed that Iroh from Avatar was a source of inspiration for Christopher & Adam. (They also name a character who apparently is from Fullmetal Alchemist, so you might be crossing the streams a bit.)

1 Like

IMHO Parse is basically “What if Karnak used a bow instead of fists”.

I mean I don’t think that was intentional since C&A have never seemed particularly familiar with the Inhumans, but they definitely have similar abilities and demeanors.

Interesting. But a more direct parallel to the Ennead (and I can’t believe I didn’t think of it sooner) would be the Seven Deadly Sins as portrayed in the Shazam comics. Less so the movie, since in that they’re kind of all the same, so less able to justify having them as separate character cards…but in the comics, they’re all wildly different, while still having a lot in common, and in both of those aspects they match the Ennead quite well.