The History of Venture Comics!

I’ve got a PC in one of my groups who’s explicitly the (Principled) Sidekick of another PC who has Principle of the Mentor. The synergy between the two is pretty hilarious, they’ve been keeping track of which of them has gotten to use their Principle more often because of the other one screwing up. Last I checked the Mentor was ahead 13-11, so holding on to his dignity by a narrow margin. :slight_smile:

That Light of Judgement/Divine Aura combo is the game’s best healing trick, bar none. A player running it is likely to look for opportunities to justify spending 4HP to bump the Red component to Yellow for an issue, but it’s solid even without that.

3 Likes

Now that’s a good combination! Nice.

The Randomizers:
Background 3, 6, 1 [Options: Blank Slate, Performer, Military, Upper Class, Law Enforcement, Tragic]
Power Source 3, 5, 2 [Options: Training, Genetic, Mystical, Relic, Powered Suit]
Archetype 3, 5, 8 [Options: Physical Powerhouse, Blaster, Flyer, Sorcerer, Transporter]
Personality 2, 10, 8 [Options: Natural Leader, Fast Talking, Alluring, Nurturing, Apathetic]

Night Rider

Real Name: Evie Nelson, First Appearance: Campfire Terrors #61, March 1944
Background: Performer, Power Source: Training, Archetype: Sorcerer
Personality: Alluring, Principles: Family, Magic

Status Dice: Green d6, Yellow d8, Red d10. Health: 32 [Green 32-25, Yellow 24-12, Red 11-1]
Qualities: Acrobatics d10, Investigation d8, Insight d8, Magical Lore d8, Lifelong Carnie d8
Powers: Agility d10, Awareness d10, Illusions d10, Postcognition d8, Presence d6

Green Abilities:

• Hall of Mirrors [A]: Hinder using Illusions. Use your Max die. If you roll doubles, also Attack using your Mid die.
  • Stunning Kick [A]: Attack using Agility. Hinder the same target using your Min die.
  • Principle of Family [A]: Overcome in a situation where you have been given advice by your circus family and use your Max die. You and your allies gain a Hero Point.
  • Principle of Magic [A]: Overcome against a mystical force and use your Max die. You and your allies gain a Hero Point.

Yellow Abilities:

• Double Takedown [A]: Destroy one d6 or d8 minion. Roll that minion’s die as an Attack against another target.
  • Saw It Coming [A]: Boost yourself using Awareness. That bonus is persistent and exclusive. Then, Attack using your Min die. You may use the bonus you just created for that Attack.
  • Flowing Stance [R]: When you are attacked by a nearby enemy, the attacker also takes an equal amount of damage.

Red Abilities

• Exploit Vulnerability [A]: Attack using Awareness. Use your Max+Min dice. Ignore all penalties on this attack, ignore any Defend actions, and it cannot be affected by Reactions.
  • Flickering Spells (I): Whenever you Attack a target with an action, you may also Hinder that target with your Min die.

Out

• Boost an ally by rolling your single Illusions die.

While most of their other comics were rolling in heroes, Campfire Terrors remained an outlier for Venture Comics; aside from the Penitent, who remained a popular and powerful character, none of the attempts to introduce new characters to the pages of the comic had stuck. Then, in 1944, the editors made one last attempt, and this one struck gold. Evie Nelson was a trained tightrope walker from a circus family, whose parents were killed by vampires. Dedicating herself to justice, Evie trained her body and mind, learning magical arts and steeling herself to become the Night Rider, taking her name from circus workers who would go out at night and destroy each others’ advertising. The Night Rider was a travelling monster hunter who used her circus activities to spot monstrous enemies lurking in the towns she visited. Her mystical illusions could confuse the creatures’ thralls, turning them against each other, and she knew how to investigate crime scenes and discover hints of creatures’ presence, before using their weaknesses to destroy them.

Night Rider was a solid hit, facing off against both supernatural monsters and the occasional crooked gang terrorizing small towns. She had a consistent supporting cast made up of her carnival allies, and was soon a stalwart in the comic’s pages, becoming more popular even than the Penitent. The editors of Venture Comics began discussing spinning her off to her own circus-themed title, with side stories about other members of her troupe, but unfortunately, time was not on her side…

Behind the Scenes

Fun weirdness - Power Source, Archetype, and Personality had the third die I rolled be equal to the sum of the other two.

I like the idea of a training-based hero who also has real magic that they learned, so when I got that opportunity I jumped at it. Lots of tricky illusions combined with skilled circus tricks, and this feels like a comic I’d enjoy reading! I almost didn’t call her Night Rider because of, you know, Knight Rider. But it’s a circus-themed name, it fits the style and her goals, and fuck it, why not. In this universe, maybe Knight Rider was loosely inspired by her.

2 Likes

Always liked this character concept. You remind me I have to finish an environment she partly inspired.

So what’s your take on this one - if you assign an exclusive bonus (either a P+E or one from hero points) to use this ability, can you wind up using it and the new P+E it generates? At the point you have to assign the mod everything’s working RAW, then you roll your pool, decide if you want to stick the pre-existing bonus on the Boost or the Attack part of this, Boost accordingly, then make your Attack where you’re explicitly allowed to use the brand-new bonus. It doesn’t mention how that functions with the usual exclusivity lockout, but my best guess is that it overrides it due to special case > general case. But I could see arguments the other way.

Do you play it allowing a double-up like that (making it a more useful ability to repeat, if nothing else) or not? IME it’s not OTT either way, although I usually go for the more permissive option.

Your dice weirdness in this project is really quite impressive. :slight_smile:

It’s never come up in-person for me. My instinct would be that if you applied a previous persistent-exclusive to the roll, and then you got this one, you would be able to replace the original bonus with the new one, but you still wouldn’t be able to stack the bonuses.

However, if a player really wanted to do it and felt strongly, I think I’d let them; it’s a Min die Attack as a rider (no pun intended) on a persistent-exclusive in Yellow that doesn’t use your Max die, it’s not going to be the end of the world to give it an extra +2 or +3 if for some reason you’re burning actions to stack persistent/exclusive boosts before the previous one is destroyed or removed by enemies.

And today we wrap up our Golden Age heroes and start in on the villains! By my count, the Golden Age should wrap up about the end of the week, at which point I will be slowing down to daily updates so that anyone interested in conversation has more time (other than Rich, who is on the ball!) and once we catch up fully, it’ll slow down again to M-F updates.

The Randomizers:
Background 2, 7, 7 [Options: Criminal, Law Enforcement, Tragic, Interstellar, Anachronistic]
Power Source 3, 5, 5 [Options: Genetic, Mystical, Powered Suit, Tech Upgrades, Genius]
Archetype 5, 8, 1 [Options: Speedster, Blaster, Close Quarters Combatant, Flyer, Elemental Manipulator, Transporter]
Personality 10, 7, 2 [Options: Natural Leader, Stalwart, Inquisitive, Alluring, Nurturing, Naive]

Revenant

Real Name: Henry Fletcher, First Appearance: Company Town #118, January 1949
Background: Anachronistic, Power Source: Genetic, Archetype: Close Quarters Combatant
Personality: Stalwart, Principles: Immortality, Underworld

Status Dice: Green d8, Yellow d8, Red d8. Health: 30 [Green 30-23, Yellow 22-12, Red 11-1]
Qualities: History d10, Close Combat d10, Stealth d8, Persuasion d8, Cover Identities d8
Powers: Vitality d10, Strength d8, Awareness d8, Presence d6

Green Abilities:

• Ancient Recall [A]: Boost yourself using History. That bonus is persistent and exclusive.
  • Boxing Stance [A]: Defend using Vitality. Attack using your Min die.
  • Flexible Stance [A]: Take any two basic actions using Awareness, each using your Min die.
  • Power Stance [A]: Attack using Close Combat. Use your Max die.
  • Principle of Immortality [A]: Overcome a situation involving your physical condition and use your Max die. You and your allies gain a Hero Point.
  • Principle of the Underworld [A]: Overcome a problem related to your knowledge of the criminal underworld or using one of your contacts and use your Max die. You and your allies gain a Hero Point.

Yellow Abilities:

• The Immortal Man [A]: Boost yourself using Vitality, then either remove a penalty on yourself or Recover using your Min die.
  • Age and Treachery [A]: Attack using Close Combat. Ignore all penalties on this Attack, ignore any Defend actions, and it cannot be affected by Reactions.
  • Danger Sense [R]: When damaged by an environment target or surprise Attack, Defend by rolling your single Awareness die.

Red Abilities

• Impossible Recovery [A]: Hinder yourself using Vitality. Use your Min die. Recover health equal to your Max+Mid dice.
  • Super-Senses (I): When taking any action using Awareness, you may reroll your Min die before determining effects.

Out

• Defend an ally by rolling your single Vitality die.

By January 1949, the world was changing. Superheroes were falling out of fashion, war in Korea loomed, and the editors of Company Town saw a chance to return the comic to the dark roots that had been largely upended by the addition of Flatfoot to the comic’s pages. Inspired by the recent successful launch of the Wraith in the pages of Sentinel Comics, they proposed a new hero be added to the comic - someone who would fight criminals on their own terms, attacking cowardly mobsters in the name of the innocent.

Their proposal was Revenant, and he would prove to be a very popular but short-lived entry into the Golden Age of Venture Comics.

Revenant’s real name was Henry Fletcher, a man living in Renaissance England who, upon dying of plague, found himself miraculously returned to life. Over the centuries, Fletcher would continue to die on a regular basis, each time reviving within hours to continue his travels. Eventually, Fletcher came to America, and found himself in Ferristown. Unable to sign up for the war due to lacking citizenship papers, he instead saw the criminal element preying on those who were left behind, and took up arms as the Revenant, striking from the shadows to undo criminal conspiracies and protect the people of the city.

Revenant had false identities around the city, which he used to gain access to criminal organizations and destroy them from within, using centuries of knowledge to take on whatever role was needed for the night. Many of his stories ended with him gunned down by criminals, only to rise and take revenge, a terrible spectre that stalked the night. Although his stories were taking place in the same city as Flatfoot’s, the two heroes never met; Revenant focused on the poorest and most vulnerable districts, while Flatfoot’s stories were brighter and more hopeful.

Revenant was largely a pulp-horror throwback with superhero leanings, and his presence in the pages of Company Town helped to bring the title back towards tales of grim corruption and political brutality. The editors might not have been as thrilled about this fact if they knew what was on the horizon, but for the time being, he was another successful entry in the history of Venture Comics.

Behind the Scenes

When I got Anachronistic, I had planned to make an actual vengeful ghost, but then Genetic popped up and the idea of making an immortal guy seemed kind of fun. There are a couple of similarities with Haka here, and I bet fans of Sentinel Comics claim that Revenant’s immortal nature was obviously just copying Haka, but in the metaverse it’s probably a coincidence, especially since they aren’t otherwise similar.

There are a couple Revenants in comics in the real world, with my favorite being the Batman-alike of PS238; this Revenant is quite different from him, too, but in the world of Venture Comics, that Revenant probably had a different name. The Bat, perhaps.

2 Likes

Well, I do have the thread on my email notifications. :slight_smile:

FWIW, the PS238 Revenant originated from an old short story called Peer Review by Michael Stackpole. It was first printed in an anthology called Superheroes, but I believe it was brought back in a 2014 anthology just called Heroes! The text-only Revenant is pretty similar to the one we see in the webcomic but the setting is quite a bit different in tone and scope.

Today also marks one year since PS238 last updated, and it’s finally getting deleted from my favorites list so I stop compulsively checking the site. A very disappointing non-ending to what had been a pretty fantastic comic/webcomic. At least Edison Rex had the decency to just stop at the end of an issue, even if it was a bit of a cliffhanger. Sigh.

1 Like

Randomizers:
Approach: 9, 1, 7 [Options: Relentless, Focused, Mastermind, Specialized, Overpowered, Dampening*]*
Archetype: 2, 6, 4 [Options: Inventor, Guerilla, Overlord, Inhibitor, Squad*]*
Upgrade: 9, 1, 7 [Options: Defense Shield, Mook Squad, Quality Upgrade*]*
Mastery: 12, 2, 2 [Options: Malice, Behind The Curtain*]*

Mr. Ferris

Real Name: Hank Ferris, First Appearance: Company Town Issue #1, May 1939
Approach: Mastermind, Archetype: Inventor
Upgrade: Mook Squad, Mastery: Behind The Curtain

Status Dice: 4+ Inventions: d12, 2-3 Inventions: d10, 1 Invention: d8, no Inventions: d6. Health: 30+5H [Green I-J, Yellow L-M, Red N-O]
Qualities: Technology d10, Imposing d8, Criminal Underworld d8, Insight d8, Stealth d8, Business Magnate d8
Powers: Inventions d12, Presence d10, Deduction d8

Abilities:

• Respectable Businessman [A]: Hinder all opponents who can see or hear you using Imposing. Boost yourself using your Max die.
  • Cutting-Edge Science [A]: Boost yourself using Technology and use your Max die. Either make that bonus persistent and exclusive, or Boost yourself again using your Min+Mid dice.
  • Capable Creator (I): Whenever you create a bonus, increase that bonus by 1.
  • Defensive Infrastructure [R]: Discard one of your bonuses to Defend against all Attacks against you until your next turn, using that bonus value as the Defend result.
  • (U) Hired Goons [A]: Replenish the number of Company Men up to the number of heroes.
  • (U) Master Behind The Curtain (I): As long as you are not directly involved in the fray and are using your influence indirectly, automatically succeed at an Overcome to manipulate a situation.

Common Scene Elements:

• Company Men: d8 Minions. As a reaction, they can step their die down, then roll it to Defend a superior.
  • Enhanced Soldiers: d8 Lieutenants. When they save against physical damage, they get +1. They also count as an Invention for Mr. Ferris’s status dice.
  • A Hostile Environment: Mr. Ferris is rarely found anywhere in which he does not control the situation.

The first supervillain introduced in the pages of Venture Comics, unusually, predated all of its heroes, although his rise to comics villainy wasn’t immediate.

One of the initial Venture Comics titles was Company Town , a dark noir anthology series. The main writer for Company Town envisioned it as being united not by protagonists, but by its antagonist , Hank Ferris. Growing up on a farm in Michigan, Ferris developed unspecific mining and industrial equipment, founding a small factory that turned into a large factory which then grew up a small town around itself. During the Depression, Ferris made mob ties and expanded his influence, leading to several towns in the region amalgamating into the city of Ferristown. He controlled the mob, the police, the politicians and industry. His fingers were in every pie, and while individual stories sometimes ended in setbacks for him, he never seemed to suffer consequences.

The introduction of Flatfoot shifted the focus of Company Town , and in turn the focus of Mr. Ferris. Increasingly, his plots involved more and more extravagant scientific inventions, attempts to duplicate Flatfoot’s robot brain, and significant setbacks as Flatfoot cleaned the town of crime. The primary editor of Company Town was absolutely distraught by this change, and over the course of Flatfoot’s adventures, Ferris faded further into the background. He began to make appearances again during the Revenant’s run in Company Town, occasionally appeared in crossover stories, but his impact on the storyline was weakened and by the mid-1950s it was unclear whether he still controlled the town.

Behind the Scenes

Narratively, Mr. Ferris is halfway between Lex Luthor and the Kingpin; a criminal industrialist who is on the front lines of his own inventions, but who also uses leverage to get what he wants and is heavily involved in traditional criminal activities. This makes him a bit more hands-on than your typical mob boss, but he still owns the city.

Mechanically, Ferris is not a very dangerous opponent alone, but he’s an absolute nightmare in a scene where the heroes are trying to get something else done. His typical strategy will be to open up with some cutting-edge science to get the boost, then use his monologues and insights to throw the heroes off their game, Hindering everyone to weaken their ability to Overcome while building Boosts to enhance his status dice and Defend himself. He doesn’t typically fight directly, and if his minions are overcome and the heroes are focusing on him instead of the scene he’s going to beat a hasty retreat (although if the heroes don’t have good area attacks and he’s ultimate, he could delay indefinitely by creating new Company Men.

3 Likes

A classic Approach/Archetype pairing with a massive Boost game, and if he’s got a Bully ally around with the “make all penalties bigger” the Hinders get real scary too. Having a menacing legbreaker bodyguard around when he expects trouble seems in character for Mister Ferris.

Always amused me that Inventor Boosts can be handed out to allies like candy, but Masterminds horde theirs so hard they make Smaug look generous.

1 Like

Randomizers:
Approach: 4, 8, 2 [Options: Skilled, Squad, Disruptive, Mastermind, Overpowered, Tactician*]*
Archetype: 1, 1, 6 [Options: Predator, Inventor, Overlord, Formidable, Domain*]*
Upgrade: 11, 2, 2 [Options: Hardier Minions, Power Dampening Field*]*
Mastery: 7, 4, 9 [Options: Mysticism, Enforced Order, Superiority*]*

Iron Will

Real Name: Colonel Wilhelm Eisenfalle , First Appearance: Madame Liberty #5, May 1942
Approach: Disruptive, Archetype: Overlord
Upgrade: Hardier Minions, Mastery: Enforced Order

Status Dice: 9+ Minions: d12, 5-9 Minions: d10, 3-4 Minions: d8. 1-2 Minions: d6. 0 minions: d4. Health: 35+5H (Upgraded Health 40+5H)
Qualities: Insight d10, Imposing d8, Stealth d8, Nazi Commander d8
Powers: Suggestion d10, Awareness d10, Agility d8, Presence d8

Abilities:

• Eye of Chaos [A]: Hinder multiple targets using Insight. You and any nearby allies Defend using your Max die.
  • Hypnotic Oppression [A]: Attack using Suggestion. Use your Max die. A target dealt damage this way Attacks an ally by rolling their single largest power die.
  • Collaborators [A]: Use Insight to create a number of minions equal to the value of your Max die. The starting die size for those minions is the same as the size of your Min die.
  • Human Shields [R]: Redirect an Attack to one of your minions.
  • (U) Fanatical Soldiers [A]: Choose one group of minions in the scene. Upgrade their dice one size (maximum d12.)
  • (U) Mastery of Enforced Order (I): If you have complete control over your immediate surroundings, automatically succeed in an Overcome to organize rabble to accomplish a task.

Common Scene Elements:

• Nazi Goosesteppers: d6 minions who gain +1 to all of their rolls as long as at least (H) of them are in play.
  • Conscripted Civilians: d6 minions who deal 1 psychic damage to any hero who defeats them.
  • Scene Challenges: Iron Will is often accompanied by scene challenges to get potential civilians to safety, lest they become more brainwashed minions.

As Madame Liberty’s solo comic took off, the writers of Venture Comics struggled to find an interesting nemesis - someone who would test her to her limits. After a few failed attempts to throw various Nazis and collaborators at her, one writer hit on striking her where she was most vulnerable, and thus Iron Will was created!

Wilhelm Eisenfalle was a Nazi officer, a believer in the Reich placed in charge of pacifying the French countryside. A master of the hypnotic arts, he could reach into a person’s mind and pull out their fears and secrets, manipulating them to serve him. His compelled minions were all convinced that if they didn’t follow his orders, they and their loved ones would suffer horribly, and it only took him moments to twist the minds of most of his victims. In his first appearance, he took control of much of Madame Liberty’s resistance cell, turning them against the heroine. She managed to fight through, disguising herself as a Nazi officer and attacking him aboard his zeppelin, at which point he seemed to fall to his death.

Of course, he survived, and returned to face off against her multiple times in the next few years. Iron Will’s plots ranged from corrupting workers to press them into service building Nazi war machines to turning loyal agents into fifth column spies; everywhere he went, entire towns would turn against the cause of liberty. Each time, Madame Liberty was able to undermine and stop him, but often only with civilian casualties. After World War II, many readers expected that he would not be seen again, but he resurfaced in 1948 as a Soviet agent, having seamlessly turned his coat to support the Stalinst cause and facing off against Madame Liberty in occupied Berlin.

Behind the Scenes

You’ve got to have a monstrous Nazi villain in the Golden Age. For this one, I hit Disruptive immediately, and I liked the idea of a hero and villain that fight each other indirectly, with Iron Will reaching out to control minions as Madame Liberty hides herself among them and tries to reach him. He’s a real nasty piece of work, and whoever he works for, he’ll still be just as awful. He is loosely inspired by Hatemonger from Marvel Comics, but instead of just turning people evil, he forces them to collaborate against their will, which is almost worse.

Mechanically, he’s also a piece of work! He just swarms the battlefield with minions who are the people you’re trying to protect, and if he starts with a group of minions in play he can really dial it up fast.

1 Like

There’s a running gag in one of the games I play in where a villain with that ability has wound up on one hero’s nemesis list because she never, ever chooses him as a target for her version of that ability, which has become her go-to when facing us. His best power dice is a d8 and she always does better on the rider hitting someone else, but narratively it’s because she’s utterly contemptuous of his feeble powers and enjoys telling him so at every opportunity. Lot of bad blood between those two after crossing paths three or four times.

Predictably, two of the other players ship them.

4 Likes

Quick evening update!

The Retriever

Real Name: n/a, First Appearance: Flatfoot Adventures #13, 1943
Approach: Relentless, Archetype: Inhibitor
Upgrade: Group Fighter, Mastery: Profitability

Status Dice: 3+ heroes with at least one penalty d10, 1-2 heroes with at least one penalty d8, 0 heroes with at least one penalty d6. Health: 30+5H (Upgraded 50+5H)
Qualities: Close Combat d10, Alertness d8, Conviction d6, Rubber Body d8
Powers: Elasticity d10, Vitality d8, Awareness d6

Abilities:

• Capture Cords [A]: Attack and Hinder using Close Combat. If the target has: a d6 or less status die, use your Max+Min dice; a d8 status die, use your Max die; larger than a d8, use your Mid die.
  • Wrap-Around [A]: Hinder using Elasticity. That penalty is persistent and exclusive. As long as that penalty is in play, reduce damage dealt to you by 1 and whenever you are dealt damage, the target with this penalty takes 1 irreducible damage.
  • Constrict [R]: When Attacked by someone with a penalty you created, Defend by rolling your single status die, and the attacker also suffers that much damage.
  • Slingshot [R]: When an opponent moves away from you, you may follow them and use your single status die as a Hinder against them.
  • (U) Group Fighter (I): When you take an action that lets you make an Attack, also make an Attack using your Mid die.
  • (U) Master of Profitability (I): If you have access to great wealth and other resources, automatically succeed at an Overcome to leverage those resources to get even richer, no matter who else pays the price.

Common Scene Elements:

• A challenge related to a captive or fragile object already in the Retriever’s grasp
  • An unpredictable environment created by the Retriever to cover its tracks
  • An allied villain or set of lieutenants hired to accompany the Retriever

By 1943, Flatfoot had already done battle with a few thematic crime lords, mad scientists, and Nazis, typically simply smashing them with his tremendous strength. The Retriever was created to be something more difficult to face. In its first appearance, it was an eight-foot tall rubber robot that moved easily through the streets, kidnapping the mayor of Ferristown for ransom. Flatfoot hunted down the Retriever and defeated its master, another mad scientist of no particular renown.

But the Retriever proved surprisingly popular with fans, and the writers of Flatfoot Adventures decided to play into that. The robot returned a year later, under the control of a criminal gang that had unearthed it in the scientist’s belongs and were using it to steal rare artwork. Once again Flatfoot was unable to fight it directly, having to find ways to recover its stolen goods first. This proved to be a trend for the next decade; every year or two, a new villain would discover the Retriever and gain control of it, using it to kidnap or steal. Once, the mysterious Mr. Ferris even used the Retriever in an attempt to retrieve Flatfoot himself!

As a powerful threat with minimal motivations of its own, the Retriever was a phenomenally popular villain, showing up to face other heroes outside of Flatfoot’s own comics and rarely needing much explanation for how it got somewhere. It also served as a useful foil for the robotic hero, having no desires beyond what its creators asked of it, and no adherence to any law but its own.

Behind the Scenes

Look, if I get a villain who relentlessly tracks people down and also can tether them to itself, you better believe I’m going to create a giant rubber robot that wraps around its victims and carries them off.

It’s both goofy and kind of creepy. I’m not at all surprised that it was a popular baddie.

This is a situation where the random factors worked against me a bit. The Group Fighter upgrade gives it the power to brush off people who aren’t its primary target, but it wouldn’t have been my first choice if I was building a capture robot from scratch. Similarly, Profitability kind of works for something that is often just stealing to improve the wealth of its owners, but it gives a slightly different tone than if I’d gotten Annihilation or Mercenary.

The Retriever’s portrait was done by user Spatula on another forum; I had put a design together, but it was much more Silver Age and Spatula’s revision was a delight.

2 Likes

Yeah, that final version of the figure really knocked it out of the park. Think this my favorite of the Golden Age baddies, both concept and looks. Hopefully he makes a return in later eras - one advantage to robots is that they’re even more immune to aging than regular comic book characters. :slight_smile:

I mean, I’ve already got a Silver Age picture for it, so I cannot imagine not finding a way to use it. :wink:

Randomizers:
Approach: 9, 4, 7 [Options: Underpowered, Focused, Specialized, Generalist, Ninja, Dampening]
Archetype: 1, 5, 3 [Options: Predator, Bruiser, Guerilla, Indomitable, Formidable, Inhibitor]
Upgrade: 4, 9, 7 [Options: Villainous Vehicle, Quality Upgrade, Defense Shield]
Mastery: 2, 2, 12 [Options: Behind the Curtain, Malice]

The Huntsman

Real Name: Desmond Reed (no longer), First Appearance: Cryptic Trails #20, Oct 1940
Approach: Dampening, Archetype: Formidable (Fae Weaknesses)
Upgrade: Villainous Vehicle, Mastery: Malice

Status Dice: No Weakness Penalties d12, Mitigated Penalties d8, Penalties d4. Health: 50+5H (Upgraded 65+5H)
Qualities: Ranged Combat d10, Imposing d8, Magical Lore d8, Master of the Hunt d8
Powers: Presence d10, Awareness d8, Vitality d8

Abilities:

• Howl of Terror [A]: Hinder multiple targets using Presence. While a hero has this penalty, reduce all their power dice by one size.
  • The Lion Fears Not The Lamb [R]: When Attacked by a hero with a penalty, ignore their damage and remove a penalty on that hero.
  • Flush Out The Prey [A]: Boost using Awareness and use your Max die. That bonus is persistent and exclusive. Also Attack with your Mid die.
  • Lord of the Hunt [A]: Take any basic action and use your Max die.
  • (U) Night Mare (I): The Night Mare is a d10 lieutenant with the following abilities:
    • Sturdy (I): When rolling a damage save, add 2 to the result
    • The Wild Hunt (A): Add minions to an existing group equal to half (rounded down) the Night Mare’s current die size. These minions are of a size equal to the highest die size already existing in the group. If the Night Mare has a bonus or penalty, adjust the number of minions created by that amount and then remove that mod.
    • Aura of Fear (I): To attack the Night Mare, a hero must make an Overcome action in order to face it.
  • (U) Master of Malice (I): When you take an action to demonstrate or indulge in cruelty, automatically succeed at an Overcome to inflict pain or fear.

Common Scene Elements:

• The Wild Hunt: d8 Minions who gain +1 against anyone with a mental penalty
  • Investigation: Challenges to discover and exploit the Hunstman’s weaknesses.
  • Fae Magics: An environment twisted by nightmare magic

Skybreaker’s first major villain proved to be one of his most enduring. The Huntsman was introduced in the third Skybreaker story, in October 1940. He was a British aristocrat who made a pact with the Fomori for fae power, taking on the mantle of the Wild Hunt in order to stalk and kill innocent people without fear of consequence. In return, the Fomori demanded that he hunt Skybreaker. They played a game of cat and mouse, with Skybreaker unable to stop the villain until he reached his manor and uncovered his true name. With its power, he was able to banish the Huntsman to the Dark Sea, seemingly forever.

But a year later, the Huntsman returned, now twisted by his time in the darkness, armed with a deadly Night Mare and at the head of the Wild Hunt. This time, his power was even more unmatched, and his name had been cast into the Well of Shadows, rendering it powerless against him. Skybreaker was forced to discover his new weakness in order to find a way to strike him down.

This remained the pattern throughout the Golden Age. Every so often, the Huntsman would escape from his eternal prison, able to persist in the real world only for as long as he could hunt and kill innocents. Each time, Skybreaker stood in his way, discovering his latest vulnerabilities and sending him back into the darkness. Sometimes he would be part of a larger Fomori plot, but often he was guided only by his own cruelty and desire to bring harm to the world that he felt owed him.

Behind the Scenes

So, it looks like at some point, there was an update to the Sentinel Comics RPG corebook, because I recall Formidable not specifying that penalties needed to be related to your weakness before, and now it does. I prefer that, and it gives us a proper Skybreaker enemy - someone almost unstoppable until you figure out how to deal with them, at which point they become very vulnerable.

The Night Mare might be legitimately unfair; hard to target, hard to kill, and it can spawn minions at a frankly rough rate if it wants to. You would need some good tricks to take it head-on.

Narratively, the Huntsman falls into the Golden Age “this guy is bad because he is bad” shtick, but in a way that leaves a lot of story open. He might end up being Venture Comics’ version of the Joker.

1 Like

I’ve run that same villainous vehicle build in the past. It’s not as bad as it looks on paper, assuming your heroes have decent Hinder abilities and you don’t go nuts Boosting it with (say) minions.

The wording on Minion Deployment/Wild Hunt needs errata. The current phrasing works incorrectly with persistent mods, which shouldn’t be removed after using the ability.

Like the custom Mastery, very good fit.

1 Like

My read was that Minion Deployment kills the boost even if it’s persistent, in order to prevent a persistent boost from allowing you to spawn an awful number of minions on a regular basis.

It probably doesn’t come up often; the Huntsman, ironically, has one of only two villain abilities in the core book that can give someone else a persistent-exclusive bonus (the other is in Inventor).

2 Likes

The problem is that also lets it kill both persistent penalties and two-use penalties bought with a minor twist. The former are about the same rarity for heroes as P+E any-target bonuses are for villains (Gadgeteer and Reality Shaper IIRC) , but the latter come up pretty regularly IME - especially against lieutenants, who tend to be durable enough to merit a multi-use penalty that will both nerf their turn’s action and hurt their next save - or their two next save if the timing works out that way. Hero abilities (particularly in Green) are modest enough that risky basics Hinders aren’t an implausible choice at all. Villain abilities are often so strong that a risky basic feels like a poor choice even with their different rules for paying that minor twist cost - ie killing a minion as the twist.

“Keep them occupied, fool!”
“Please, master, no…aaah!” :slight_smile:

TL;DR Eating two-use mods probably hurts heroes more than it restrains villains.

Ohhh. I did not think of that. Yeah, that’s probably a problem in need of errata.

1 Like

It’s easy to forget if you don’t see it in use regularly - which only one of the three groups I’m currently involved with really does. The GM usually doesn’t need it for villains, although some Predator builds who don’t have access to a P+E Hinder from their Approach might be better off twisting for a basic two-use penalty than playing the “initiative lottery” and hoping it goes in their favor. Depends on how good the heroes are at clearing mods.

Heck, I’m not even sure RAW says a two-use mod requires you to clear it twice. It doesn’t explicitly say that under the “Getting Rid Of Mods” section, although it’s kind of implied. So that’s probably better off getting errata as well to add a clause about it, rather than leaving it to a FAQ. FAQs suck, they usually mean your rules weren’t as clear as they could have been.

But that’s getting far afield off topic here. :slight_smile:

Only slightly more on topic, that second ability reminds me that one of the campaigns I play in has an NPC hero duo called the Lion and the Lamb, who are pretty much Hawk and Dove expies. :slight_smile:

Randomizers:
Approach: 2, 8, 5 [Options: Skilled, Bully, Focused, Mastermind, Overpowered, Creator]
Archetype: 4, 4 6 [Options: Guerilla, Overlord, Inhibitor, Squad, Titan]
Upgrade: 1, 8, 8 [Options: Mook Squad, Quality Upgrade]
Mastery: 4, 11, 3 [Options: Conquest, Enforced Order, Unfathomable]

Urak, the Prince of Rot

Real Name: Urak, the Prince of Rot, First Appearance: Campfire Terrors #28, May 1941
Approach: Overpowered, Archetype: Titan
Upgrade: Mook Squad, Mastery: Unfathomable

Status Dice: Unmarked d12, First Challenge d10, Second Challenge d8. Health: 65+5H
Qualities: Imposing d8, Alertness d6, Demon God d8
Powers: Toxic d12, Strength d10, Telepathy d10

First Challenge: Uncover the Summoning Ritual [ ][ ]
Second Challenge: Disrupt the Summoning Ritual [ ]

Abilities:

• Fleshcrafter (I): At the start of the action scene, gain a persistent, exclusive “Screaming Flesh” bonus rated at +1. This bonus is indestructible and remains if reduced to 0; if it would be destroyed, removed, or turned into a penalty, set it to 0.

Urak has a personal Challenge track. Whenever a nearby minion dies, increase the track by 1. Then, if the track is equal to or greater than the current Screaming Flesh bonus, erase the track and increase the bonus by 1, to a maximum of +5.

• Your Efforts Are Meaningless [R]: When attacked by a roll that includes doubles, remove one of the successes from the Summoning challenge.
  • Untouchable (I): Reduce all damage taken by 6 if you have a d12 status die, 4 if you have a d10 status die, or 2 if you have a d8 or lower status die.
  • Rot and Ruin [A]: Attack multiple targets using Toxic and use your Max die. Hinder each target using your Mid die.
  • Imbue Corruption [A]: Boost using Telepathy. Recover Health equal to your Max die. Each of your nearby allies Recovers Health equal to your Min die. Each of your nearby minions and lieutenants whose die sizes have degraded are increased one die size.
  • (U) The Cult: Replenish your Imbued Cultists up to the number of heroes.
  • (U) Master of the Unfathomable: As long as you are in a situation involving eldritch or disturbing forces, automatically succeed at an Overcome to spread your power and essence into the world.

Common Scene Elements:

• Imbued Cultists: Imbued Cultists are d8 minions. When they take an Attack or Hinder action they can roll twice and take the better result, but if they do, they take 2 damage afterwards.
  • Cult Leaders: Cult leaders are d8 lieutenants who can step down the die size of a nearby allied minion after rolling to add +1 to the result of any magical action they take.
  • Opposed Challenges: In most major battles against Urak, the heroes must complete challenges to seal the pathways to the Realm of Rot before Urak and his cultists are able to force them permanently open and manifest.

The Penitent fought many demonic cults across the Golden Age, but none were so terrifying as the Rot-Bringers. These monstrous cultists worshipped the terrible rot-god Urak, who gifted them with diseased magic that brought them power at the cost of their own health, slowly consuming them until they were more demon than human, at which point they were pulled into his terrible Realm of Rot to merge with his flesh.

Urak was always seeking to spread his influence to Earth, looking for ways to overcome its mystical protections and infect new lands. In his first appearance, a group of cultists succeeded in summoning a towering avatar of the Prince of Rot, who began to consume a small town until the Penitent was able to break the seals that were holding him present, banishing him and his most infected worshippers back to his diseased realm. He would not appear often after that, but it was a rare year in which some manifestation of Rot didn’t make its way into the pages of Campfire Terrors, either for the Penitent to stop directly, or as a cautionary tale about seeking power without understanding its source. Urak also served as a key antagonist in a 1944 crossover between the Pentient, Skybreaker, and Coromorant, in which the three heroes joined forces to save an old Irish castle from the Realm of Rot.

Behind the Scenes

I have rolled a double on one of my 3d12 sets for every fucking villain to date. This seems very unlikely.

Urak’s HeroForge portrait was created by user TheStray7, who is an absolute master of HeroForge. Look at that thing. That is a printable mini, it’s wild.

I’ve stretched a bit by giving Urak a unique Titan-based ability to absorb dying minions into his flesh, growing stronger as his cult falls and he devours their bodies. It certainly makes him a horrific foe; you need to fight against his summoning rituals, while your attacks may help him continue to manifest into the world. I suspect he is not typically present in scenes where you want to win by punching him to death, as it would be nigh-impossible. Instead, you try to delay him while you resolve the underlying summoning issue.

And there is no way this horror makes it past the Comics Code. If a Silver Age Urak appears, he’s going to have to be scaled back at least to Dormammu levels.

1 Like

He does make that HeroForge program do some impressive stuff, no two ways about it.

Do his lieutenants dying count toward his Fleshcrafter bonus or is it really just minions, ie how much does he really care about cult leaders?