The Letters Page! Episode 2 Discussion (The Wraith)

Does it count as kill-stealing if Maia wasn't going to kill him?  Parse only killed him because the Wraith couldn't.

Now I blame Maia.

With this episode, I gained a whole new appreciation for the world that Christopher and Adam have built.

First of all, while the Legacy episode seemed like it was about the character Legacy's backstory, and answering questions about the character, this episode seemed like it had much more to do with the history of Wraith's comics. Christopher kept talking about how when she appeared in this book, she'd face such-and-such adversaries, and that evolved into the books that appeared during the Cold War... It really drove home how Christopher and Adam didn't just invent characters. They invented a whole set of comic publishing histories. We've heard hints of that for a while, but listening to a description of all the evidence really blew me away. Maybe it's just because I haven't been into comics in the past, and so I focused on the superheroes and the plots depicted in the game, instead of thinking of their depictions through the various "ages" of comics. This is quite the feat of world-building.

Second, I'm impressed anew with the original take they have on superhero characters. Describing the Wraith in a vacuum like this would have been really difficult for me - I would have had a lot of trouble avoiding a word that starts with "B" and ends in "man!" I suppose, after spending 5+ years steeped in their own characters' lore, of course it would make sense to Christopher and Adam to describe the Wraith this way. But, still, it reveals where they have homages and where they have original takes on what drives this sort of character. I really appreciated the Wraith episode for further drawing distinctions between her and...that guy...and using the character of the Wraith to describe these comic archetypes and the motivations driving her.

B-man?  Like Randy Beeman from Animaniacs?

Are you talking about the Bman known as Beetlejuice?

That’s definitely the Michael Keaton role he was refering to… though I believe in the sentinels world his name is Beetleguise.

Beetleguise Beetleguise Beetleguise!

"A devious villain"

It is Blade.

What?! Oh, hey!

How goes the fight against Evil?

Mixed results at times.   

Those times being between 12:00:01 am and 12:00:00 am.

So no Interlude this week, huh?

I thought the drops from Freedom Five Annual to Freedom Four Annual for one annual was related to Wraith. If not Wraith then who?

Also the Iron Legacy event is when Iron Legacy crosses over into the main timeline. So when in the comics do we ever see the Freedom 6 fighting Iron Legacy, like Wraith becoming the Chairwoman and fighting a bunch of Spite clones.

Freedom Four Annual number one that we was actually made is just missing Absolute Zero who would join later on.   Based on what was discussed there was a Freedom Five before FF Annual #1 that had Legacy, Wraith, Bunker, and two other unknown characters at this time.  

In regards to the F6 fighting Iron Legacy there is a Freedom Six One-Shot referenced on a few cards in Iron Legacy's deck and that issue is also listed with the bios of the F6 variants in the video game.   

Right. In the Legacy issue we learned something that wasn't clear to me before: The Freedom Six apparently defeated Iron Legacy in their timeline, who then attempted to invade the main timeline.

Yeah, I had figured it was a situation where the Freedom Six were seeking help from the "main" timeline's heroes.

I must've missed that part of it.  About what time in the episode did they say the F6 defeated Iron Legacy?

My bets for the two "lost" heroes are Haka and Tempest, to make their apearance in the barbeque photo an easter egg for very long term fans of the comics.

Makes a lot of sense; also a little bit of a thematic tie that, when Legacy becomes Iron Legacy, Tempest reunites with the group to take him down (doesn't work with Haka, sadly)

Nice catch!

It's mentioned very much in passing: I don't think Christopher and Adam realized they were doing a reveal. But 35:46 of the Legacy episode, there's a reference to Iron Legacy being " ousted from [the] other world", meaning the Freedom Six timeline.