They stole a Sentinels character

On a (slightly :wink: ) more serious note, I just saw an announcement of a new Marvel character being introduced in What If…? Dark: Moon Knight #1 named … Luminary! :astonished:

3 Likes

Gasp, what? Do the Big Two (real) companies not even check to see if a name is already taken by a fake comic publisher any more? (Or, y’know, a tabletop game publisher.)

3 Likes

DC has a Luminary as well, who was also called Shard at some point. AFAIK he appeared only once in a single panel in JSA, as one of six corpses Johnny Sorrow turned most of the “Seven Shadows” super-group into. They were a “created in the modern day” team that supposedly operated in Golden Age Chicago in 1944, and were pretty much made up solely to be killed - off panel no less. A narrative trick I truly despise, I might add.

Digging just a little deeper, Luminary is an android superhero from City of Heroes MMORPG, and appeared in three issues of the short-lived comic spinoff. I think I punched her evil duplicate Nightstar one time, back during my housemates’ brief flirtation with the game.

2 Likes