Weekly One-Shot #298 - "Quick Draw"

Man, that was close. Very violent game without much buildup, just a crazy damage race. Other than hard-playing Infection a bunch of times, PR was practically all damage. And Reconning the Shadowy Ambush seemed like a good idea until I realized that 2x Afflicted Frenzy was coming up. I’m certain I recall seeing that deal damage on the turns of heroes who died with an Infection still on them, and if that had happened here, it might have been game, depending on whether the count of Infected heroes counted the incapped ones.

You know, somehow I don’t think I’ve ever before noticed that a Plummeting Monorail can hit itself. Seems obvious now that I think of it, but I’ve certainly played this wrong in tabletop a time or two.

This was my intro to Completionist Guise, but I was hesitant to make use of him. Switching normal Expat for her Dark Watch version would be super helpful, except I haven’t unlocked it. And switching off of Freedom Five Tachyon to one of the older versions is the exact opposite of what you want to do. Infected Blitz with the Plague Locus is great, but after that, no other Tachy (except maybe F6 who I also don’t have) is going to be much use. So really I should probably have just switched Guise to his normal self and called it a day.

I am proud of Guise though for having a turn in which he reached over into Harpy’s play area, flipped one of her control tokens, then played Lemme See That, reached into Expat’s PA, took Pride, fired it, reached over to Expat again, and fired Prejudice while she was still holding it. That was one classy turn there, Guise. No wonder the flavor text for the game doesn’t even mention him, the little perv.

As a huge fan of the Rat’s flipside minigame, which I rarely get to indulge in for long, my happiest moment was to have Guise bite the much healthier Harpy, who took only 2 damage while donating 3 HP. This would have been even better if I had been successful in playing Uh Yeah I’m That Girl on Harpy to double up on Applied Numerology, so I could have dealt just 1 damage, but alas this is only possible if a player predating Guise in the turn order, or Guise himself with a Retcon, has removed the Infection on Harpy, which UYITG copies along with every other Ongoing she has. (It would also work if Guise destroyed his own Infection, using UYITG to replace it for the round so that Rat stays flipped even with Guise only pretending, very convincingly in the short term, to still have an Infection.) Not realizing this, I not only wasted UYITG but gave the Rat a bonus card play, which further ravaged Guise’s HP; I think he only survived the start of his turn due to the mouthful of Harpy’s blood he drank.

Not counting the aforementioned Uh Yeah bungle, or the choice to skip using Guise’s unfamiliar Power on turn 1, I made a bare minimum of two play mistakes this game, probably more like three - playing Pride instead of Tactical Shotgun, then playing Prejudice and firing it instead of Pride, and meanwhile not noticing that I was promo Harpy, so I played Applied Numerology and then Harpy Hex rather than the reverse. Given that Rat’s last turn had him at 5 HP, these errors cost my two surviving heroes at least 4 HP each, and might well have been part of why I lost the first two instead of them using the Numerology Bite trick to heal (at least in Tachy’s case, once all her promos with good powers have been yoinked by Completionist Guise).

Now that I have my Mint, and am free to abuse Undo as much as the program will permit it, I think I’ll play this for a second time in a row (an unprecedented act upon winning). Harpy with her Hex and her Calling the Flock and her green-tokens version of The Flock’s Care would really like to abuse the Plague Locus’s bonus. I’m not going to deliberately lose, but I think I’ll risk keeping the Locus out in hopes of a quick victory, at least until after the flip. Then I’ll see about pulling off the “feeding frenzy” with Numerology power, see if it ever starts to work in my favor. Probably not with no Throat Jabs or Heavy Plating to get ahead of the Rat’s 3 damage a round minimum, but we’ll see.

Much better this time. A little cheaty due to my knowledge of the future, most notably when I used Gimmicky Character to prevent Rooftop Combat from removing Police Backup, which ended up taking the last HP that the Rat had left after Harpy’s devastating Direct Strike with Hugin and Muninn in play was short one card, so it was only 8 damage instead of 10, but with 2 more from Harpy Hex, plus 1 on the otherwise useless Power, and 2 from the Cohorts). The Monorail arrived just in time to see him go down.

Last time I had Tachy liberally use Blitz, yet still managed to string together 7 Bursts for a Lightspeed Barrage, plus one from Rooftop Combat. This version of Tachy only did 4 with her Barrage, but he was already down to 30 in both cases, so the difference mattered little. Both times Expat got nowhere near needing her Unload; her participation in the battle seemed slightly perfunctory. And while Harpy did have an amazing turn with full-power Arcane Explosion and Lash of the Elements while Infected, for 13 damage to Plague Rat and one-shotting the untouched Locus (then going on to give Guise three extra Gritty Reboot cards with the Lash leftovers), doing a slightly lower power version in the previous game, neither version of her pulled off the ultimate Infected single card play with the Plague Locus present: Mystical Outburst from 5 purple tokens, flipping them for 8 Harpy Hex damage, then the blast itself for 6. Had to settle for the Locus-less version of this play, for a mere 9 damage instead. Wah-wah…

Still no shenanigans with the flipside powers, and no Guise collecting himself, so a third playthrough is possible, but not tonight. As I’ve mentioned before, the Megalopolis song is among my favorites, so hearing it back to back didn’t bother me a bit, but three would be pushing things. I’m eager to try other heroes against Plague Rat soon; with my villain rollout basically complete, this standout among the new arrivals is definitely my current favorite opponent. I just wish he had more HP so we could really enjoy the long game. Hm, perhaps The Block for Defensive Displacement…

Not so! Tachyon has one of the best Completionist Guise combos!

Switch her to Super Scientific, let her mill the bottom of her deck to fill it with Burst cards, then switch to Freedom Five, dump a couple Lightspeed Barrages and Blitz until you can’t anymore. Then you switch back, and suddenly she can play every single card on the bottom of her deck with Experiment! :slight_smile:

Sadly, or perhaps fortunately, by the time I got around to being able to do this, the whole team was infected and it was trivial to drop Plague Rat on Guise’s turn by using SS Tachyon’s power. Still a fun, somewhat tense fight, mostly just an excuse to show off how good Harpy is with a damage boost. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, interesting strategy for winning longer games. But it doesn’t really counter my point, as you would do better to start as Super Scientist, so Guise doesn’t have to switch you out of F5 before you can start filling the trash.

Anyway, I currently only have SST unlocked, so once I switch out of the promo which the game starts us in, I can’t switch back to it. “Previewing” Completionist Guise through the Weeklies is a very different experience than actually having the complete collection.

That sounds like a bug to me, or at least, it seems like it goes against the spirit of the power.

I wouldn’t think so; in order to have a complete collection, I would need to have a complete collection. If I’m just “borrowing” promos I don’t own, then when I give them back to Guise, I don’t get to borrow them again.

The only repeat switch I can do in this game is between normal and SS Tachyon. Not that it matters much with how short the game is. Switching to base Harpy is probably legit once she’s low on cards, but otherwise this game is just a little sample cup of Completionist flavor, and by no stretch the full experience.

Yeah, I see what you mean about the weird interaction with Uh, Yeah… I’m That Guy! and Infection. Guise tried to copy Tachyon on the turn when the last heroes had just been infected. That attempted to put another “copy” of Infection into play, with no valid characters. So it top-decked Rat, and bye-bye Expat! Oh well, he got Barraged and Blitzed to death right after that anyway. Really close for Tachyon! I was sweating for a second, but the Plague Locus was gone by that point so she stopped Pushing the Limits and had just enough to survive the Infection and wipe out ol’ Randy Rot Mouth!

2 Likes

Hm, you must be playing on a tablet or something, right? I’m envious of your larger illustration; my screenshot doesn’t show the restrained hands.

Desktop, actually. Eventually accumulated all the expansions through Steam sales. Don’t have a mobile version. Would be nice to be able to play on the go.

It is indeed. But I’m not fond of the idea of having to pay for the game twice, even though I certainly think >G deserves to make more money, and it’d be worth the money if I paid for it. Having to manage multiple versions would be a pain though. I guess for now I’ll live without; maybe someday my fortunes will improve enough to allow it.

The reason I’m on the Definitive Edition hype train is because I got all the digital Enhanced Edition at a good discount. If I’d dropped lots of cash on the physical products I might feel differently. Of course, I’m also thinking it’s going to feel like a new game, and I have yet to play with anyone else. Been all solo so far. Certainly understand about not wanting to buy the same thing twice.

1 Like

Even though I largely oppose the changes made in Definitive Edition, I am sufficiently starved for the social gaming experience that I would play in an instant if given the chance. It’d probably be like the one time I tried Smallworlds, where the whole game I couldn’t stop talking about all the reasons I thought Vinci was a better game. Didn’t mean I didn’t like Smallworlds, but they took it that way.

I’m sure there are things about DE that I would super like. I just have no idea what they are (other than, I guess, the general concept of new game modes, the first appearance promos, and panoramic landscape art for Environments, that’s all I got, compared to a laundry list of gripes that I won’t bore you with).

Pretty straightforward slugfest, with Tachyon and Harpy doing most of the damage. My timing wasn’t quite right to get Rooftop Combat and Plague Locus boosts at the same time, but after a few weeks of struggling to defeat villains with DR baked in, it was nice to be able to do a single point of damage and actually have it stick.

So Harpy nickeled and dimed him every time she flipped a token and got some decent one shots off, Tachyon got a nice 9 HP Lightspeed Barrage - but the battle was over before I got her switched back to F5 for a big Blitz…Expatriette got to Unload, marred only by the fact that Guise had “borrowed” Pride, costing her a couple additional points of damage…and Guise did Guise stuff - he’s growing on me, a little, but in this fight he didn’t really get the chance to show off, and went down just before the end. With Plague Rat down to 1 HP, Tachyon delivered a final Sucker Punch to finish the game.

Good fight, not too fancy- now it’s back to last week’s challenge, which is still kicking my @#$&!

2 Likes

Sucker Punch - how insulting! I love it! :fist_right:t2::boom::rat:

1 Like