Weekly One-Shot #302 - "Unnatural Disaster"

Pretty easy mint, but more interesting than last week’s cakewalk. 5-hero teams including Chrono-Ranger tend not to have much trouble with mostly-single-target, not terribly tough villains with limited destruction in a fairly predictable environment. The inclusion of promo Sky-Scraper was a fun detail, but made only a modest difference to the match; the very potent Dark Visionary and corrupt Writhe are also extremely powerful control-and-survive hero promos, which were largely overshadowed by the straightforward destructive awesomeness of Knyfe and CR. Deadline did get off one big boom that took out both Orbital Bombardments and most of the Gene-Bound, hitting the heroes for a total of 5 plus at least 4 more from the Catastrophes before they blew up, and was set up to do an even bigger such salvo in the upcoming round (double Orogenesis plus his advanced text is a minimum of six damage to everyone right there, with Subduction for more and then the wipe for 3+), but two Kill on Sights had gotten Jim every card he could need, and Sky didn’t even get a fourth turn.

The same way it’s pretty sad that heroes who are fighting Spite almost never bother trying to save Victims, I’m also growing slightly less fond of Deadline (he’s still definitely in my top ten villains, but probably a slot or two lower than he was at first), because not only does he tend to be fairly easy, but more importantly he encourages the heroes not to try and prevent the destruction he causes. All these Catastrophes he engineers, you get a turn to try and stop them, but he just keeps spitting more out, and ultimately it’s just necessary to let him blow up half the environment while you beat in his face. The Advanced version in particular punishes you SO badly for trying to stop his disasters that it kind of isn’t even an option, and it ends up feeling more like a boxing match than a struggle for the fate of the world. Like Spite and a few other villains (Kismet comes to mind as another example that could play out as a non-combat scenario but basically never does; doubtless you can think of more), I feel like Deadline is a cool story idea where the mechanics of the SOTM game engine don’t really do full justice to it. It’s still a great fight, but I feel like it could be amazing if you had a sufficiently out-of-the-box idea of how to take it to the next level.

1 Like

Really just goes to show Deadline is a pushover no matter what he brings out. Focus your attacks on him, ignore the Catastrophes, make sure to get enough Links out to weather Magnetic Pole Shift and you’re golden.

Didn’t have much trouble at all, though starting without any Ongoing destruction, and being unable to play any until after Deadline flipped was not ideal. He flipped and did his unpleasant business, but Chrono Ranger and Visionary kept his catastrophes off the board after that so that he flipped back the next round, and by that time the team was ready to clobber him before he could do any more damage.

Pretty straightforward slugfest - I had hoped to Twist Deadline’s Ether to reduce the damage he was doing with every destroyed catastrophe, but things fell out differently, and by the time I could play TtE, Writhe really needed it for a Concealed Assailant combo, and it all just happened so fast!

1 Like

Yeah, not too bad. Did as others said, just let him keep the Catastrophes out until he flips. He only wiped out 1 environment card that way, so the heroes just barely pinged themselves before he hit for 4 each. Much better than what I was about to do, play Emergency Evac on his front side and take out two Catastrophes. That would’ve hurt me much worse than him! Dark Visionary synced nicely with normal size Skyscraper, and let her set up the bottom card play each time. Chrono Ranger with an Ultimate Target and Compounded Bow became even more deadly when By Any Means came out. IIRC, Deadline went down the next turn with an Explosive Reveal by Skyscraper leading to a Colossal Left Hook off the bottom of her deck.

Again, another week where I am only getting to this just under the deadline… Seems appropriate this week though… :wink:

Got a Mint on Sky-Scraper’s turn in the third round, with the heroes at 18/9/12/12/13. The third and final round started without me realizing how close the heroes were to winning, since Deadline started the round at about half strength. But the heroes just threw everything at Deadline that final round and he went down like a house of cards.

KNYFE and Chrono-Ranger were the big damage-dealers this match. Its amazing how much it helps when Chrono-Ranger played “By Any Means” on Deadline in round 2.

Deadline flipped at the start of round 3, and that really hurt. But the heroes never got any ongoing destruction cards this game, so there wasn’t really anything the heroes could do about it other than weather the massive damage storm that Deadline send out that turn.

I pretty much ignored the environment. Environment targets popped up, did some damage and were pretty much cleared out by incidental damage from attacks against Deadline.

Fun and a nice change of pace from some of the harder one-shots lately.

1 Like