Whats coming next?

So do we know what products are in the works for the game? what do they cover? and what are the rough timelines for each?

thks
Dean

Next up is the Guise book which is supposed to be mix of everything in the core book but a smaller add on. Then you have Diamond Book of Monsters and xxtz’Hulissh! Adventures which is two six issue adventures. Then it’s the Dark Watch book which is an addon rulebook more focused on street level adventures. It is supposed to have new character creation rules. Lastly, Urban Setting which is an environment focused rulebook. They’ve said the expectation is one book a year. Based on updates the Guise book will be out this year with other rulebooks coming out one a year with Dark Watch(2022) and Urban Settings (2023). Diamond Book of Monsters and xxtz’Hulissh! Adventures sounds like it could be out sometime between 2021-2022

3 Likes

Do you think any of them will have a collection of characters from the sentinels universe? would love to see many more character examples.

It’s probably a foregone conclusion that the Guise book will have him, as well as supporting cast we’ve heard about on the Letters Page.

And, obviously, the Dark Watch Book will have the current members of Dark Watch: Expatriette, Setback, Mantra (formerly Mister Fixer), and Pinion (formerly The Harpy). I believe it will also contain Night Hunter (formerly Stuntman).

I’m frustrated by this; there’s no value in complaining about it, but I’m going to anyway.

The main book delivers a year later than expected. The other books are mentioned in the campaign, with the presumption that they are actively in development. Now it seems we’ll see one a year for the next several years. This is a terrible release schedule for a large company trying to stake a claim in the crowded supers RPG field.

Nothing I’ve read would indicate those books weren’t in development but clearly the core book had to be finalized before they can cement the other books. Those add on books might come out quicker but that’s not been the expectation I’ve seen set so far. When the Guise book comes out probably should give a good idea on a timeline for when the others will be done.

1 Like

I understand that we don’t really know yet, and I’m in for the long haul regardless. I just think it’s bad optics.

I am a successful game designer who has used Kickstarter; I chose not to announce books that might eventually see the light of day somewhere down the road, just because it was wishful thinking for me at the time. I mentioned them as ideas we’d like to see in an Update, but I didn’t say “if we hit this goal, we’ll publish this.” GtG did this.

Plenty of people started asking when they got the core book, “When are the other books shipping?” Which means I’m not the only one who thought the campaign page suggested a number of books in development at the same time. I never expected them all to release at once, but I did think all of those would be out in 2 years’ time at the most. Maybe they still will be; here’s hoping.

GtG doesn’t have a great reputation for putting products out in a timely fashion, and they know this. I would think you wouldn’t tell people “we’re working on these books,” only to later say, “…we meant over the next several years.”

I would love for them to give a license for people to make 3rd party products, but I don’t see that happening.

Having one sizable RPG product out a year seems like a good plan for a small company to stay relevant, I admit.

I also admit I didn’t know there were a lot of superhero-based RPGs; the only major one I’ve really heard of is Mutants and Masterminds. (Which I knew of before Earth Prime, FWIW.)

2 Likes

There’s at least one instance where they have here where the co-writer of the History of Sentinel Comics made a conversion kit

I’d say it’s mostly a case of people interested reaching out to GtG about it.

Hmmm…

Are people saying then these follow up books are thought to be years away from release? Why is that? I really hope thats not the case or the game which I think has made a good sized splash in the rpg community already (even without a physical release in game stores so far) will eventually wither on the vine, as do all rpgs without seemingly having regular support.

This is what was posted in update 55 in December about their timeline:

After the physical book of the RPG rules are sent out, which books do you foresee will be the “next” one on the table? Do you have a probable timeline on what books are coming out at what time approximately?"

That depends on what order writing, editing, art, and layout gets finished. We have a rough plan, but are also aware of the realities of creative work - some things will take more time than anticipated, but some will also take less. Our goal is a minimum of one book per year (which we are confident we can beat) in this order:

• The Guise Book
  • The monsters adventures book
  • History of Sentinel Comics
  • Sentinel Comics Zine
  • Dark Watch
  • Urban Settings

The History of Sentinel Comics is probably the biggest wildcard for release.