Character Profile

• Best Attack: Unload
  • Best Personal Support: Speed Loading
  • Best Team Support: RPG Launcher
  • Primary Damage Type: Projectile
  • Secondary Damage Types: Fire, Cold, Lightning
  • Worst Card: Shock Rounds
  • Nemesis: Citizen Dawn

Guns make everything better.  Expatriette employs an arsenal with a great deal of firepower, and can use varied ammunition to apply further effects to it.  She can throw down a bunch of cards with her Load power, and has some powerful utility options as well. 

Attack

Guns

Expatriette has access to two of the best unenhanced powers in the game.  First, the Tactical Shotgun deals more damage to a single target than any other power with no preparation necessary.  This is my primary gun of choice.  Assault Rifle releases a spread of bullets at three targets, and is the weapon for mowing down a field of baddies.  

Pride offers something new, allowing you to use a whole extra power – Prejudice.  Unenhanced, firing both of these guns is no more powerful than either the Tactical Shotgun or the Assault Rifle, though the flexibility of acting like either of them is handy.  Pride & Prejudice come into their own when Expatriette has damage boosts available, and especially if she has had time to load them. 

Rounding out her list of guns, the Submachine Gun affects every target, something you need to do sometimes.  This can be a great choice for ammo, since the potential number of targets can eek every bit of advantage out of your cards.  Unfortunately, the low damage can make it an ineffective tool anyway.

Ammo

Ammo is tricky.  In concept, it’s a modular way to enhance her attacks.  In practice, the ammo cards act like so many one-shots.  There are some ways to reuse them, and they can theoretically be placed on a gun for future use.  By nature, the ammo works well on guns that affect multiple targets, as you get more for the play.  As often as not, though, all of my ammo gets poured into the Tactical Shotgun anyway, since I just need single-target damage.

Hollow Points are the big deal here, boosting your guns by two.  Incendiary Rounds are inferior, but I suppose you may be grateful for them against Gloomweaver, Shu, or Gene-Bound Soldiers, or if you’re on a team with Absolute Zero.

Liquid Nitrogen Rounds rock, but they are really limited by their temporary nature.  This can be a great ammo to load into the Submachine Gun to affect the whole field – if you can break through armor, that is. 

Finally, Shock Rounds get a global attack from any weapon.  Since I find that one damage is easily soaked by most villains, I don’t get much use from this.  Like most of Expatriette’s stuff, it has great potential when her damage is boosted.

Tactics

Expatriette has two potential setups to work towards, and they are at odds with each other.

One route is for her to get into a situation where she can Unload for devastating effect.  This means she wants to get out as many of her guns as possible, hopefully with some time to load them to the brim with ammo and accumulate some damage boosts.  When you’re ready, you can play any card during your play phase, play Unload during your power phase (using Load) and fire all of your guns.  Even though Load counts as a power use, you can still fire every gun if you have them, since Pride lets you use Prejudice.  It is turns like this that remind me why I play this game. 

Her other setup involves Speed Loading and any two ammo cards (preferably Hollow Points or Liquid Nitrogen).  This allows you to endlessly recycle and play your ammo for free, letting you get other things done with your play every turn.  While the free play is great, overusing Speed Loading will make you run out of other cards to play.  As a result, this really only works if something is helping you draw.  This conflicts with the Unload plan because you stop drawing new cards and thus can’t find all your guns. 

If you have the card assistance to pull of Speed Loading and not totally stall out, that’s fantastic.  That usually takes specific heroes on your side, though.  I generally build towards Unload by playing out guns, and do fancy Speed Loading tricks if the opportunity presents itself.

Utility

Expatriette’s base power Load is best used when the enemy has turned to defense.  I generally prefer to use my best gun for her power phase, but if that won’t do much, playing two cards or drawing two cards will put her in a good spot going forward. 

RPG Launcher is one of the most powerful and versatile cards of its kind, and Reload lets you extend the usefulness of the good ammunition.  Flak Jacket is her only defense.  It blocks one attack, but it can potentially be for a lot of damage, so try to guess when those big attacks will come.

Quick Draw gets you your unique guns, even out of the trash, so it’s hard to complain about that.  Arsenal Access is usually better, as her main method of deck manipulation.  Sadly, it has a decent chance to offer a class of card you don’t need (Ammo when she needs a gun, or vice versa).  Try to play it when you have a gun out – that way, if you only draw ammo, you have someplace to put it.  Failing that, at least you get to put it in your hand. 

Hairtrigger Reflexes is the last card, and it has some fun applications.  If you’ve never boosted Expatriette by +3 or 4 and watched her waste all of Voss’s minions as they come out of a Forced Deployment, you should try it.  Normally, though, it’s good for a little bit of free damage on everything.  It’s optional, too, so no harm no fowl.  Excuse me.

Weaknesses

More than any other character, Expatriette suffers from a lack of card draw.  She can pull equipment from her deck on a limited basis, but anything else is really hard to find, especially the RPG Launcher.  (You’d think she’d keep that in her Arsenal.)  Her Load power exacerbates the issue, seeming to give her fewer options for the rest of the game.  As consolation, her cards are strong on their own merits, with Tactical Shotgun, Assault Rifle, and RPG Launcher particularly edging out any similar cards in terms of sheer power. 

Expatriette has a fair amount of hit points, but no hit point recovery.  She has only one defense, and that only against attacks of three damage or more.  This makes her especially weak against villains who plan to kill you one or two hit points at a time. 

Teamups

As the two repeating themes in this article point out, you should pair Expatriette with heroes who can let her draw cards or boost her damage.  Legacy, Visionary, and Argent Adept are generally Expatriette’s best friends.  Legacy can also help protect her life total, to mutual benefit.

Expatriette gets a gold star against villains and environments that boost her damage – she’s always been one of the first volunteers for a Plague Rat infection, and there’s not much more satisfying than Unloading on Citizen Dawn.

1 Like

Shock Rounds works best in the sub-machine gun as it will activate everytime you deal damage to a target. This is most effective against a villain with a large amount of high HP targets with no shields (best seen with Akash or if Nuit isn't in play), turning the sub-machine gun into gatling tactical shotgun.

But this is really situational.

See shock rounds submachine gun ruling here https://sentinelsofthemultiverse.com/forum/topic/expatriette-shock-rounds-and-submachine-gun

Well then, been playing THAT wrong. (Leaves to add to number of games played incorrectly)

Then, yes, shock rounds are the worst card.

I wouldn't agree they're the worst card - as always, it's situational. They are fairly useful against hordes, so long as there isn't any DR.

Well, if you just happen to have *ahem hem ahem* environment card in play, then Shock Rounds could be a very very good card, expecially if there is some damage increase for Expatriette.

Yeah, a couple damage increases make it a force to be reconed with. This is true even against one target since it's a separate packet of damage that can be increased independently. I think it suits its role just fine, and can be quite strong if you have Legacy or another source of +damage around.

Does anyone else think Expatriette is weak? Let's look at some of her cards.

First of all, her ammo cards are awful. They are equivalent to one-shots that do 1 or 2 damage. For a character who's focused on damage, compare this with Tempest's Ball Lightning, Ra's Fire Blast, or even random ThokK! or Elbow Smash. While she has cards that let your re-use her ammo, why would I want to re-use a 1- or 2-damage one-shot?

Her power lets her play an additional card, but this is rarely useful since she has no card draw and little deck manipulation

Quick Draw, her "tutor" card (to borrow a term from MTG), is the only such card that is useless if the card you're getting is already in play. Compare with Ra's Summon Staff, Absolute Zero's Onboard Module Installation, or Wraith's Impromptu Invention. All of these let you search for a card, draw a card, then play a card, so that if the card you want to get is already in play, you can cycle the card for free. Expatriette's Quick Draw does not let you do this; it's dead in multiples or if the guns are already on the table.

Her guns are great, don't get me wrong, but it's really all she has going for her. And if she doesn't draw one in her opening hand, then she's useless. She can't even use her "one-shots" (ammo) for damage. Yes, 4 damage off Tactical Shotgun is great, but not enough to compensate for her weaknesses.

Her ongoings are *okay*, but nothing special. RPG

RPG Launcher is her only utility. It's not bad, but every other character brings more to the table (even Ra can buff your party with Imbued Flame).

To make her competitive, I think her ammo and Quick Draw should be buffed, I'd give her some kind of card draw. Perhaps make Reload draw a card, or Speed Loading draw a card when it comes into play. That would put her on par with the other damage dealers. I really want to like this character, but every time I play her she just feels like a worse version of Ra, Tempest, AZ, etc.

heh

You're opening up a can of worms here. Rather than wait for replies, go look around the forums -there are 3 or 4 other threads that talk about Expat and Mr Fixer as 'weak' heroes vrs strong. Those converations are why we started the Statistics Project

Not just Expat and Fixer, but also Absolute Zero, Haka, and Bunker have been cited as the weakest heroes in SotM. Hm... Am I missing any other heroes that recieve a lot of negative comments?

I've noticed a slew of negative comments about Expatriette (along with Fixer and Bunker).  Funny, that she is my second favorite character to play with (besides Fanatic).  To be honest though, I never really look at a particular character as weak or strong.  I look at how enjoyable they make the game for me.  Expatriette definitely needs some good teamwork to make her go most of the time.  Her combos can be really fun, especially in conjunction with Argent Adept.  Kinda reminds me of the ultimate combos I could get with Jago in Killer Instinct if anyone catches that reference.  But once you get her going, she definitely makes me glad I picked her (even though 75% of my games are done via random select). 

Yes, several people do.  As mentioned, you can look around on these forums to find many thread debating this.  I'll just post a couple quick comments.

This statement isn't even remotely accurate.  First off, in a worst-case condition, Hollow Points or Incendiary Rounds will only increase her damage by 1 or 2 (which is better than a one-shot that does 1 or 2 damage if the villain has damage reduction (though worse if Expatriette has a damage boost)), but you're ignoring half of her guns, which hit multiple targets.  If there are several minions out, Hollow Points on a Submachine Gun can do a ton of extra damage.  Also, you are completely ignoring Shock Rounds (which is basically the equivalent of a free Submachine Gun power usage), and Liquid Nitrogen Rounds, which can be incredibly usefull on a multi-target gun.

Her power is very usefull to help her get set up faster, then she should be using the powers on her guns instead of her base power.  It prevents her from being a slow-build character.  I will admit she can easily run out of cards in her hand.

Don't forget about Arsenal Access, though it doesn't really give you much control over what you get.

Almost half her deck is guns or gun drawing cards (16/40).  The chances of not getting a gun on the first turn or soon thereafter is extremely small.  Many heroes can be screwed over by a bad draw just as easily, if not more so.

How can you not consider Hairtrigger Reflexes and Liquid Nitrogen Ammo as utility cards?

Please, can we keep discussions of the characters in their own topics?  This topic is to discuss Flamethrower's guide specifically.  If you find a mistake or have a suggestion for the guide, this is the place to put it.  Other than that, make a new topic, please.  Thanks.

What Spiff said. As pointed out, there are several existing threads you can go to to start this discussion, or you can create a new one if you can't find them. These threads are about the best ways to play the character, not about how good the character is.

Say, are you refering to Fixed Point? Then Shock Rounds goes off with every single shot fired from Submachine Gun?

Nope, wouldn't work. Shock Rounds activate 'when [a gun]'s power is used to damage a target', which means only the first time a target is hit. If it didn't mean that then shock rounds would hit with every shot fired from the Submachine Gun even without Fixed Point, since it is only destroyed 'after that power is used'.

So I've hit this guide a couple of times over the last week or two trying to glean a tip or two that will raise Ex above the level of "meh" for me.  I think I just figured out what I could do better: stop hording ammunition.  My tendancy to to view her ammo has extremely difficult to get and so I hang on to it waiting for "just the right moment."  But what I finally realized is that Ex's best ammo manipulation cards involve her trash pile.  I obviously haven't had a chance to play this yet, but I'm pretty sure that once I use and destroy her ammo it actually becomes MUCH easier to use.  And that might just be the bit that pushes Ex over the top for me.  I mean Incendiary Rounds alone can up her Pride and Prejudice or Assualt Rifle damage by 50%, it doubles her Submachine Gun.  Over the course of a game that's a lot of extra DPS.

Hm. . . 

Follow up: Well, I did try her again this last weekend and it was a totally different experience.  Visionary was also out, and she helped Ex out several times with her lovely draw/cull power.  Ex managed to get Speed Loading out in about the 4th or 5th round.  Hollow Points was already in the trash and that card saw a LOT of play.  I will definitely play her a few more times to make sure I can have her be more consistent.  I still wish Arsenal Access was a serach instead of a reveal, though.

Thank you for posting that, DrScott. It's really awesome to see folks learn how to use a hero differently as they start to understand the potential in the cards.

At Origins, I was running demos when a decently-experienced group came up and asked if they could play to get some tips and suggestions (and Sentinels Points :wink: ). They asked to play specific characters and had me play Absolute Zero to see how it went. Turned out, that wasn't the best learning experience of the game, though. One of the group made a comment that The Scholar just doesn't do a lot of damage. Once I lifted my jaw off the table, I asked him to talk about how he played The Scholar. After a short conversation, he started to see the serious potential in the Elementals and other cards, then he proceeded to do some amazing damage.

That kind of revelation is great to see. :slightly_smiling_face:

I haven't played the Scholar a ton, but it's pretty clear to see how he can do some decent damage once he gets water + energy forms out, particularly if he can have someone else feeding him heals too.  OmniX would be a great team mate for this.  I last played him in the same game as Ex and Visonary I mentioned above.  We were vs Matriarch and Scholar's tanking was epic and made the whole game pretty much a cake walk.  I don't think he dealt a single point of damage, and that was just fine.  He also finished the game at full HP (which was a really fun moment in it's own right).

I didn't know you could fire her guns without ammo! The manual didn't say anything about it. Having ammo in the deck made me think it was necessary like in real life. I know Bunker didn't need any but there was less confusion since he was like a living gun and her cards talk about ammo limits. I thought he might have had unlimited ammo in his suit.