Another Miss?

There is also a Marvel Comics Mister E, a Scooby-Doo Mister E, and a LEGO Mister E. And my high school English teacher, who went by Mr. E.

The point is, I think that it’s a name that’s been used so many different times by so many different people, it doesn’t really matter anymore is someone new starts using it.

1 Like

Fair enough. It’s too obvious a bit of wordplay to trace an origin point.

And none of them (except maybe your high school English teacher, I guess) are to be confused with E-Man, the Charlton Comics alien superhero. That was a cute book, and had some great backup stories. I should track down some of the old issues and re-read them, it’s been years. There have been a lot of minor revivals since the 70s, but the ones I’ve seen didn’t quite have the same charm.

Nova Kane (speaking of wordplay) being an exotic dancer working her way through grad school was pretty edgy for the time period, now that I think about it.

Haven’t read much Empowered, though I’m tangentially aware of it.

My original inspiration was an ability available to the “mundane character” class playbook in Monster of the Week. It allows you to play an “I get captured by the monster” move (which can be more helpful than it sounds)…

1 Like

Yes, I’ve played it as well. It’s a very, ah, Daphne-esque move, although that aspect of her character has gradually been toned down over the years, or highlighted as a self-parody. Fun game, that.

Empowered (which is NSFW unless you have a very tolerant HR department) started out as a joke character based on how much cheesecake bondage art Warren was getting commissioned to draw, and gradually turned into 11 manga-style volumes (with a 12th in the works for years now) worth of rather well-done stories with some real character growth, story stakes, and an increasingly fleshed out setting that manages a weird split between comedic, sci-fi, and Image-ish supers. Good read (and free as a webcomic at the moment) although it will depend on your tolerance for both cheesecake and sudden tone shifts between tongue-in-cheek parody and some really grim character concepts. The lead character is prone to getting captured and tied up, for reasons that involve spoilers but actually make a lot of sense when they do get revealed. She really makes it work in her favor after a while, in part because most of the setting’s villains are somehow even more idiotic than her mostly-terrible hero teammates,

1 Like

Additional 'Miss’es:

• Miss Direction (combination of perfect sense of direction with reality perception/distortion powers?) - often seen hanging out with Miss Guided.
  • Miss Ewe (sheep powers)
  • Miss Fortune (who amazingly doesn’t seem to be an official superhero yet, though there is a LoL character of that name…).
  • Miss Fire (ditto, except for the LoL bit…)
  • Miss Conception (some sort of manifester ala Idealist?)
  • EDIT: Miss Elaneous (okay, I’ll stop. Probably…)

(EDIT: Just realised Miss Direction was already done. Oops!)

Miss Fortune sounds like a Disparation amalgam of Miss Information and Kismet.

Miss Fire is probably a nickname that Citizen Hammer uses to tease Citizen Summer.

1 Like

thanks for even more info guys / gals / others
I was thinking about coming back for at least one last inspiration.
I found a good pic of a schoolgirl with a gasmask and added a cloudy aura and I need to find the right name for her

my plan from miss Isle is a blaster = missile also she is Polanyian with a mild volcano goddess thing going on.

1 Like

Miss Ty? (Pronounced Miss-tee)

EDIT: I belatedly realise that just “Miss T” would probably work…

1 Like

So, the alternate reality gender-flipped version of Mr. T?

2 Likes

I pity the fool who messes with Miss T.

3 Likes

Update
I ran the first encounter with the Mrs. Terious School for Larcenous Ladies-

At a crowded field trip day museum day our psychic junior high student had a telepathic burst triggered by a weird crystal art piece and learned someone was coming back to rob the place that night. The heroes went in an open receiving dock door, found disarmed alarms and then they found the schoolgirls.

The important hero for this is not the psychic but Ratio, Sophia “Phi” Viktus, a 15-year-old Lithuanian girl taking university classes in America. Natural prodigy, no known power origin. Academic - Genius - Gadgeteer - Analytical - RP quality Book Worm - Principals of Discovery and Science

Roll20 was being mean, and her rolls were bad for most of the fight… almost as if she was off balance or disoriented.
When they started interrogating the captured girls, they noticed the lack of belly buttons and serial numbers in a double helix tattoo on their forearms. Ratio wandered off in a daze to check herself for tattoos and a bellybutton. I told the player it was up to her if she had a bellybutton or not. It was not my plan that there was a hero connection to the school, but I had that story in a box ready to drop in at a moment’s notice. She does not have a tattoo on her arm, but she does have evidence of a skin graft and childhood memories of sticking her arm between the furnace and hot water heater as a child and getting a burn. And when she learned how to swim her mother explaining the scar on her belly that she crawled away as a baby and cut herself. During the fight the weird crystal had another psychic burst and now Sophia is noticing inconsistencies in her childhood memories that she had not considered before.

What has actually happened-
pause for dramatic tension, and to give my player a chance to back out on the off chance she is reading this.
Sophia was once a member of the Terious school. She was… Miss. Information but she did not want to be a bad person and instead use her smarts to help people. So, she had her memory wiped, given fake memories of a boring/happy life and sent to Europe to be forgotten.
You might be wondering how Sophia ended up not only in America but in the same city as the Terious school? It was Miss Chief an AI failsafe to get revenge if something bad happened to Miss Information. And of course, the vengeance is against the school and Sophia- with big “you’re not my real mom!” energy. Of course, the AI will have melodramatic dialogue but generally not do much more than mean spirited pranks.

1 Like