Art Homages

Latest Editor's Note got me thinking about it and I wanted to try to put together a list of the art references that I recognized (I have to look up some issue numbers, but the ones I'm listing are the ones I know what to look for).

Argent Adept incap: Uncanny X-Men #251

Freedom Six Bunker incap: Iron Man #128

Fanatic incap: X-Factor #10

Haka incap situation is evocative of the cover from Secret Wars #4, but the pose is more like this panel from Incredible Hulk #358

Idealist incap: House of M #1 (variant cover)

K.N.Y.F.E. incap: X-Men (vol. 2) #25

Legacy incap: Superman (vol. 2) #75

Young Legacy incap: Crisis on Infinite Earths #7

Greatest Legacy incap: Captain Americal (vol. 5) #25

Dark Watch Mr. Fixer incap: Daredevil #181

Setback incap: Amazing Spider-Man #50

Dark Visionary: X-Men #137

Wraith incap: it's entirely likely that there's a specific one that I'm unfamiliar with that's a better match as "superhero graves" are a common enough trope, but there's Daredevil #182 and #509 or Web of Spider-Man #32 for some examples.

Freedom Six Wraith incap: there are a bunch of "bad guy holds hero overhead" options to go with (see also Naturalist's incap) but the best match I think is this one from Batman #497

Fright Train incap: Uncanny X-Men #322

Visionary's Mind Spike: X-Men (vol. 2) #25 again

Guise's X-TREEEEEEEEME!!!: Basically any Rob Liefeld-drawn cover featuring Cable, here's X-Force #1

K.N.Y.F.E.'s For the Greater Good: Also that panel from Daredevil #181

K.N.Y.F.E.'s Kinetic Neutralizer: X-Men (vol. 2) #5

Chokepoint's Harvest the Mighty: X-Men Omega (the finale of the Age of Apocalypse story)

Anyway, that's what I've come up with. Anybody else have any others they're familiar with or better matches for any of my examples? There are a bunch of pieces from SotM that seem like they're specific enough to be refering to specific images (like Proletariat's incap seems like it should be a Winter Soldier reference or something but not something that comes immediately to mind like most of these).

1 Like

That's an awesome start! Well done!  :grin:

FYI: There's more than just comic homages. At PAX West a couple years ago, someone came up to Adam and asked if the incap for a character (I forget whom) was a reference to an obscure anime, and Adam confirmed it, telling them they were the first person to recognize it. 

Foil Chrono-Ranger incap is a reference to this famous X-Man panel.

Good catch (that's the end of Uncanny X-Men #132 from the Dark Phoenix Saga) - I overlooked reviewing the foil art and forgot about that one.

On that note there's also Omnitron-X foil incap: Star Wars Tales #6 (literally the only Star Wars comic book thing I'd probably recognize - although this kind of holding a helmet/head of a fallen comrade to one's own head thing is another trope that pops up a bunch and this could be a coincidence).

There are a lot of non-comics pieces like Rabit says. Stuff like Unity's incap that's like Magneto's plastic prison from the early X-Men movies, most of Stuntman's deck being references to specific action movies, and Enclave of the Endlings being entirely made of Jack Kirby pastiche without being specific references to my knowledge. I guess I was mostly looking at specific comics panels when I was putting this together initially, but sure, let's expand it to whatever media we can identify.

I’ve always wanted to say this in so many words, and I don’t know if this fits, but:

I’ve always assumed that the Shattering of the Timelines is a reference/counterpoint to Crisis on Infinite Earths.

TV Tropes has a list of shout outs. Might fund a few in there.

Aw, you pinched most of mine. The main other ones I know are:

Reveal the Flaws in Parse's deck is Fantastic Four #1.

Friction's Surge Strike is The Flash #123.

Captain Cosmic's incapacitated art is... the game over screen from the NES Silver Surfer game.

Adam has thrown in so many little obscure art references over the years it would be so hard to catalogue them all. Iv always enjoyed his ability though to take iconic images from comic history and make them all his own. It’s really friggin hard to do it tastefully and Adam just has an uncanny eye for it.  

Some other non-comicsv

KNYFE’s Infiltrate and Obfuscate references Obi-Wan Kenobi’s sneaking scene from ‘Star Wars.’

I remain convinced that the incap art of the foil Southwest Sentinels are basically the plot of Disney’s ‘Aladdin.’

V5 Baron Blade's Foil Incap: Green Lantern/Green Arrow #85 (credit to Powerhound for noticing this before I did)

Fright Train "Improbable Grapple": Uncanny X-Men #328

Bugbear Foil Incap: The situation fit's either the previous image from UX-Men #328 or the prior Wolverine vol. 2 #90 - neither is an exact match, but either would fit the situation.

Several of Stuntman’s cards sure look like a reference to the lobby scene from The Matrix.

For that “obscure anime” the Scholar is referencing with Alchemical Redirection, it’s a mix of Hoenheim from Full Metal Alchemist and Uncle Iroh from Avatar: The Last Airbender.

*chimes in*

I've updated the art on the wiki with everything from the video game released so far (obviously, just character cards) - I'll be updating it more over the next few weeks and I have a few Villain pages to finish still.

however. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do this people! Get all these together and we'll put a master list together to put on the wiki. This is awesome work!

Today's Sentinel Comics the Untold Story part 4 video has a few I can identify.

The Fanatic panel at approximately 1:46 is a reference to Uncanny X-Men #132 like the foil Chrono-Ranger incap.

The cover of "Modern Woman" magazine's July 1972 issue at approximately 0:30 is probably a reference to the July 1972 issue of Ms. magazine (both the fictional magazine and Ms. are their first issues).

I get the feeling that the Man-Grove panel at approximately 2:15 is also a reference to something, but I don't have as good a knowledge of Swamp Thing (the most likely source) panels to identify it offhand.

The Greatest Legacy art in Update 10 of the SCRPG Kickstarter reminds me of the cover of Action Comics #1 (with the hero smashing a car and the reaction of the character in the lower left).

I'm not sure if this counts since it's not a card, but BoT Chrono Ranger's incap picture from the video game looks very similar to Edward Elric from Full Metal Alchemist after he got his arm destroyed by Scar.

Resurrecting this because today I discovered that Void Guard Writhe’s incap seems to reference this cover.

1 Like

Oh, good call! :smiley:

Tempest outfit and a lot of his art is a reference to DBZ. Piccolo in particular. Losing an arm, the body suit, ball lightning. Anything more?

Should we add quote/text homages as well? Like Meredith Stinson and How I Met Your Mother?

I mean, my original purpose of the thread was “[real comics image x] was the inspiration for [specific SotM image y]”.

We can throw in a bunch of the other inspirational details as well, I guess. I’m not the boss. For non-comics inspirations, including links to images that exemplify the connection (like, specific DBZ images to show off how Tempest references it) feel on-topic to me.

1 Like