Awesome OblivAeon Game - loose report

Part of the reason why I decided to buy the video game a month or two ago was the prospect of finally getting to play OblivAeon; I bought it physically years ago, and got substantial use out of the heroes and environments, but was never able to talk the gaming group I had at the time into trying out something as elaborate as the actual OblivAeon battle. I finally tried it out a couple of weeks ago, and was absolutely destroyed; roughly a week later I played again, and did slightly better, but still got absolutely nowhere near winning. After that I took a look at some of the physical cards (since the app doesn’t make it convenient to read every card as it’s played so that I can be absolutely sure what happened; I just kind of get used to things happening which I don’t quite understand), and found myself really doubting that it’s even loosely possible to win the game.

But last night I decided I’d try it one more time, and this time the cards were more cooperative; I not only got him to phase 3 for the first time, but was able to beat him down for about 40 more damage besides that. Given how much power I had on the board this game, I think ultimately the only reason why I wasn’t able to end up winning was the fact that my phone, the app, or some combination of both are glitched, such that it’s usually impossible to get a power on anyone else’s turn. Given that two of the Scions reward you for defeating them by giving every hero a power, and I was playing five heroes with a lot of high-powered cards (eg the Infinity Cannon), ten-plus extra powers could easily have gotten me enough extra damage that I might have managed to finish OblivAeon off.

But more important than whether I could win the game was whether it made a good story, and in this case it was an amazing one. The initial two Environments were Mobile Defense Platform and the Temple of Zhu Long, and after a couple of bloody rounds, all five heroes were in the Temple, fighting OblivAeon and a couple Scions. LifeLine had an Oblivion Shard active, along with a ton of his cards in play, but we hadn’t gotten anywhere on removing the Oblivion Shield. Then, at the end of the second or third round, the MDP played Propulsion Systems, and then one of OblivAeon’s cards moved him to that environment, where he dealt 8 damage to all targets, and then went up to 17 devastation tokens. Young Legacy, who was by now down to single digits HP and not long for this world anyway, moved to the other environment and destroyed the Propulsion Systems, which caused the Platform to crash to the ground and explode, triggering Oblivaeon to remove that environment and kill YL, except that Arataki Wakarewarewa died in her place. The new environment was Magmaria, and on Oblivaeon’s turn, he wiped out that Environment as well, with YL as the only hero onsite and only a single Environment card having been played. Meanwhile, with his +17 to damage, Lifeline unleashed a string of attacks which killed a total of 5 scions in the course of a single incredibly long turn, removing 5 devastation tokens and leaving him with exactly 12 to blow up Magmaria. Unfortunately I then lapsed in the several turns of Heroic Interception and other such protective cards which had enabled Lifeline to survive with his +17 to damage dealt and taken, so a Master of the Temple took him down.

So, from a flavor perspective, this battle was clearly about how Luminary (who never appeared onstage, exactly the way a mad scientist prefers to operate) managed to secure an OblivAeon shard, storing it aboard his MDP and parking it in the air over Zhu Long’s Temple, where Oblivaeon showed up to retrieve it. Lifeline took the Shard, since he was the only hero strong enough to handle it, and escaped to the Temple with it while Legacy sabotaged the MDP, with OblivAeon briefly trapped on board it, so that it could plow straight through the earth’s crust into Magmaria and explode, heavily damaging OblivAeon and killing Young Legacy in a heroic sacrifice. OblivAeon then traveled to the Temple, where he got into an epic confrontation with The True Form of Zhu Long after he had briefly allied with the heroes, betraying them in the sense of killing Lifeline in order to steal the Shard from him, and then using its power to attack OblivAeon before being destroyed by him. The battle later ended with the badly battered OblivAeon finally wiping out the Temple, which otherwise survived throughout the entire fight, and one of the last heroes who joined the battle before the end was the original Legacy.

Sadly, while classic Legacy played Inspiring Presence and usually used Galvanize, OblivAeon had a habit of throwing the heroes from one battle zone to another, so only about half of the team was ever able to benefit from his +2 bonus to damage at a time. But with just one more round before the fourth environment was destroyed, we would pretty definitely have won. There were a lot of other little awesome and story-rich moments in this game; I wish I had somehow been recording it all, and especially wish I could have rewound it to several key turning points where I had to make a choice that turned out to be super consequential - for instance, when the third Environment blew up, I had a choice between destroying the Environment with three Heroes in it, including the fully set up Lifeline, or the newly played Freedom Tower with just two heroes. I picked the Tower to die, partly out of a desire to save Lifeline, but he ended up dying anyway, and the two heroes who were blown up instead included a Setback with 13 unluck tokens and a Silver Lining, so I would really have liked to see how the game would have turned out if I’d kept him instead.

4 Likes

Glad you finally got to try it. I got the digital version probably just a few months before OblivAeon was released, but never played that mode until a few months ago when the first OblivAeon Weekly One-shot came out. I got utterly wrecked my first several times, too.

I definitely prefer 5 heroes since you get to do more between the bad guys’ turns, but that +5 damage bonus in phase 1 is lethal! (GG Southwest Sentinels if they’re one of the initial decks)

My favorite team is Greatest Legacy (Lead from the Front and Next Evolution can shut down phase 2 & 3), Action Hero Stuntman (so much damage boost and out-of-turns plays/powers), Dr. Medico (keep 'em alive once you have setup), XPW AA (again, more plays and powers), and a wild card depending how I feel (Lifeline is a frequent choice of mine, too. Usually Blood Mage variant.)

Keep at it as long as you’re having fun. Eventually the stars will align and you’ll get just the right cards at the right time. I know it took me some work, especially going for the Steam achievements. (Ultimate OblivAeon!! :scream::bangbang:)

Given that the amount of HP on OA and the Scions doesn’t change, nor do the number of Scions coming out, more H is near mandatory. Imo there should be a lot more H values in the game.

Sadly while I found out about the Sentinels’ vulnerability to H=5 Tear Through Reality the hard way, it’s again a virtual necessity to use them on any lower H count, since otherwise Heir to Nothingness will kill a hero outright before they’ve had a turn. Of course, TTR is twice as common as HTO, so at H=5 you can’t risk it. I suggest that if playing with IRL friends, you make sure no two of them are tied for lowest HP, since the argument about which one takes that hit could be enough to break up a marriage…

Not so much with the glitch I mentioned. I won’t be playing StuntMan against OA anymore until I hear that they’ve fixed what I am currently calling the Worthless Faultless bug, although it also affects Empyreon and several Objectives, as well as cards like Turn of Events (Setback) or Lifeforce of Will (VG Medico).

IMO most of the Challenge modes are poorly designed; I only use them for super weak villains or when the Weekly forces me to (and I wish it wouldn’t). I wish I was happier with the DE, because the early stuff badly needs rebalancing - for a good example, see Challenge Chokepoint in Atlantis, which was clearly not designed with her in mind.

To be fair, there is a big disclaimer saying that the Challenge modes we’re not exactly balanced to begin with and are only there for the struggle. And I agree that the early stuff isn’t as balanced as the later stuff, but trying to balance every environment around every villain (or vice versa) would be nigh impossible.

I haven’t encountered or heard of this bug O.o Sounds nasty.

I had to beat Ultimate OblivAeon specifically for the achievement ~5 times as it wouldn’t record the win properly >.<

It is possible though! My recommendations for anyone trying: H=5 for more turns, start with the Primary Objective as it is the easiest to flip. Don’t pick any environments that have a game over (Silver Gulch, Wagner Mars Base, etc) or MMFFCC as that is just chaos. Also Rook City, Megalopolis, Atlantis, and other not so hero friendly ones. One of the first pick of heroes should be base Tempest with the plan of him going down to use the “Heroes immune to Infernal Damage” to survive any blowing up environments and Phase 3. Once he’s flipped the shield, any big hit will flip the phase, but I find WWII Bunker is good as well to make it irreducible.

If you get to Phase 2, you by default have some objectives. Try (its hard with H=5) to get the OblivAeon Shard and Mecha-Knight on the same Hero. If you do, and the Destruction tokens get high, start feeding all the powers you can to that person. Alternatively, heroes like Stuntman, Benchmark, and Chrono-Ranger can dish out serious damage with any kind of damage boost. If you do get the Shard, the tokens get high, and you can survive the damage, FVI Tachyon’s Blitz does stupid damage, or a well set up Omni-U and a Self Sabotage after using his power to blow himself up. (I once blew through Phase 3 OA and Voss entirely in a single turn with Omni-U. Good times)

Also, now is the time to pull out Legacy after Legacy and Haka after Haka if needed for Ground Pound and Heroic Interception/Take Down. Legacy is better in Phase 2 to take the one shot of Energy Damage each round to avoid 5 more tokens, but both work in Phase 3, where you 100% want to block his plays or damage however you can. Nightmist, Writhe, and Akash’Thriya all work for blocking card plays. The Scholar is good for tanking damage at this phase too.

From there, do not kill OblivAeon until your heroes are in a good position HP wise, or Voss will erase them as soon as he comes into Phase 4. Beyond that, I tend to avoid whichever zone OA is not in, even letting Scions do their thing and add tokens, as the Ultimate rules make them too hard to split handle, when you can just beat down OA.

Good luck! Hope you can finally beat him!

~A-Kat

I’d say submit a bug report to Handelabra if you haven’t already. That’s not an issue I’ve heard others mention and like a lot of items could just be a misunderstanding based on the current setup.

Indeed, they were this idea that a fan came up with, which wasn’t entirely thought through (they probably had a half dozen or so really great ideas, and then phoned in the rest just for the sake of completionism), and >G looked at it and went “this is awesome” and waved it on through, without doing the work required to properly balance and otherwise tweak the whole thing as they would have been expected to do with a more professional product. That is certainly their right, they’re busy and all, but I wish it would someday be possible for someone to do a fixing pass on this and other aspects of the game which aren’t ideal.

Chokepoint and other villains to come out since the Challenge Mode was originally invented are a special case, since they were designed at a different time than the initial fan made batch of challenges. I don’t know if C&A initially had a Challenge Mode concept in mind when they formally put together a set of game mechanics to turn her into a deck, but since CP exceeds even Ambuscade in terms of being a pathetic joke villain without Challenge Mode and an ungodly terror with it, I feel reasonable justified in saying that neither version of her was adequately playtested.

Now that >G are moving on to DE, I think there’s an opening for someone to refurbish their original creation in rather the way that Pathfinder repurposed and fixed up the 3rd edition of DnD while its actual publisher moved on to 4e and now 5e. There are a number of opportunities I’ve identified for improvement, to strengthen matches that ought to be good for story reasons (eg make vanilla Baron Blade actually capable of killing Legacy once in a while, and make both the regular and promo versions of him less pathetic after they flip, since virtually all their effectiveness is limited to side 1), and eliminate some of the more seemingly unintended interactions. For example, Blade and Voss go back to the beginning of the game, and I suspect that C&A didn’t think too much about the decision to make both Blade Battalion soldiers and Gene-Bound aliens have the same keyword, Minion, which had game-mechanical consequences in Boss’s deck but not Blade’s. Fast forward to the Mobile Defense Platform environment comes out, loaded with Minions representing the Battalion, and when you fight Voss in that environment, the two interact. C&A have never spoken of an intended story arc where Voss takes over a Platform full of Mordengradians and starts turning them into Gene-Bound Humans, something he is uniquely capable of in just two specific environments, and unable to do with Tony Taurus or Cyrus Hayes or the Block Guards or any other human he runs into. Thusly, I chalk this up as an imperfection in the rules, and maybe this makes me a Tribunal AI or something, but I think it’s reasonable to believe that every flaw should eventually be possible to correct. I’m never cool with someone just saying “eh, good enough” and moving on; saying you’ve done as much as you can for now is fine, but I don’t think anything should be considered “finished” when there is obviously still room to improve.

I firmly disagree. C&A don’t have time to do all that by themselves, but this community of several hundred fans, working together over the Internet, absolutely can accomplish a task of this magnitude. They’ve already done such things with the Statistics project; it would by no means be impossible to create a similar shared document to essentially continue playtesting the entire game long after its release, and look for little issues like Voss/MDP or Challenge Chokepoint/Akash’Thriya. Combine that with a greater degree of open sourcing by Handelabra, and it would be possible to add game-rule bugfixes whenever the community agrees they should be done.

For instance, you could go back and add the “Technology” keyword to Unity’s golems and to the Mystical Defenses in Atlantis, but not to Thriya’s Seeds or The Kraken, and have Challenge Chokepoint only auto-absorb all Technology (“and Ongoing”, if desired) cards that gets destroyed, instead of every single such card. It’s perfectly in flavor for CP to absolutely devastate Unity or Luminary, given how her powers work, but having her automatically do the same to Thriya’s Seeds, and Captain Cosmic’s Constructs (that one’s arguable, I’ll give you), and Hugin and Munin in the Harpy’s deck, and every Dinosaur on Insula Primalis, etc etc, all because of parsimonious or ill-considered wording on the card which defines her abilities… it’s all the equivalent of a comic book turning out stupidly written because the editor was on deadline, and wasn’t willing to put in more time and effort to make a product of actual quality.

Maybe it’s inevitable that this sort of thing will end up happening sometimes, but I always think we should try to do better. I generally oppose the existence of roadblocks to such progress (e.g. “this story is my intellectual property and nobody but me is allowed to write it”, even if another writer could do a better job), though I recognize that sometimes they are necessary for valid reasons, such as limited funding. But what is never necessary or valid is for someone to just say something like “this cartoon is for kids, it doesn’t have to make sense, we just need a bunch of bright colors and flashy lights to hypnotize the little brats into making their parents buy our merchandise”. (That might seem like a bit of a non sequitur; I thought I had a better throughline to connect this bit together. I’m not claiming I’m perfect, after all… not yet at least!)

I did report it when it first occurred. It seems to happen whenever a game has gone on too long, as if my phone’s visual processor is out of memory or something, and the game simply refuses to switch the display to a different play area except when advancing to the next turn.

I still think of Atlantis as a somewhat hero-friendly environment, since a lot of its cards help both sides instead of hurting both sides, and the heroes outnumber the villain (Vengeance excepted). Leaking Room is the only card I’m invariably unhappy to see, and even that is only because we’ve never gotten a version of Tempest whose power was just “deal some lightning damage to opponents” (except maybe the XPW one, I forget which damage type he deals, since he’s the weakest version overall and so I don’t use him much). Toxic Seaweed also sucks, but thanks to the Phosphorescent Chamber, I usually have a hero with an empty hand to get rid of it. And I really wish the Pillars of Hercules read “every hero turn” instead of “every turn”; it’s way too awful as is, unless you know it’s coming and can play Take Down or the like. If it couldn’t play on the villain turn right after it came out, and allowed you to skip to destroy it before it played on the first villain turn, it’d be much more of a cool Faustian bargain kind of a card, instead of just “screw you, heroes”. This is another example of what I was ranting about above, where the game ends up being less good because a component went to market before it was, IMHO, properly polished.

Your last paragraph kinda made me want to go off on a tangent about the difference between a hard fight and an unfair fight, but this post is plenty long as is, so I’ll save that topic for another day.

Definitive Edition Voss’s victory condition has been changed to only care about villain targets now, so he’s no longer affected by the Mobile Defence Platform or Mordengrad.

1 Like

Hm, I haven’t played on Dok’Thorath recently, but aren’t there Minions there? He absolutely should have an interaction with those.

Correct, the Dok’Thorath Capital Environment Deck contains the Gene-Bound Ravagers Card, which has the Minion Keyword. Oddly, though, the Thorathian Military Cards in that same deck instead have the Thorathian Keyword, like Vyktor and Tamar.

That makes sense, as those guys aren’t Gene-Bound. Remember, Voss is basically Space Hitler; if Hitler had showed up in Germany in 1948 or so, the German Army wouldn’t have automatically signed on with him again. The fact that Lieutenant Tamar works with them is a little more understandable, with him being a little closer to their level; they may not agree with his boss, but they might still be willing to side with him in a tactical situation, at least for the sake of getting the rebellion put down.

1 Like