Captain Cosmic: The Law Is Reason Free From Passion

The starship looked quite dull, as such things went. It was blocky, metallic grey that didn’t quite achieve silveriness, and its sides were so smooth they were almost featureless, looking for all the world as if someone had been aiming to make something without any sort of visual interest whatsoever. Even its engines were tucked as far out of sight as was possible. The only really interesting thing about it, from Hugh’s perspective, is that it seemed to be coming straight towards him, and at a fairly significant speed.

He cast a look over his shoulder, but there was nothing very notable behind him - just the darkness of space and a scattered field of stars.

Hmm. So it certainly seems as if it’s me that they’re after. But what could they possibly want? I only just arrived in this system, after all, and I hardly think my reputation has preceded me quite so quickly as all that.

Well, he answered himself, that is certainly the question. Perhaps we ought to ask them?

Capital ideal, Hugh, he thought. He stretched out a hand, and golden light streamed forth, forming instantly into the shape of an old-fashioned wireless radio. The dial whirled, static buzzed, and then someone spoke: “Again; unknown individual, you are trespassing in Naryan space. You will surrender now for interrogation. Do not resist.”

Not the friendliest greeting I ever heard - but I suppose I shouldn’t expect much better, if they think I’ve wandered into somewhere that I ought not to be. Perhaps I should do as they say.

That sounds awfully risky, said another rather skittish part of his mind. What if this is just a ploy to capture us?

Well, then, we will just have to deal with that as it comes, he told himself. Come on now, be stout of heart and all that!

A minute or so later he was rather regretting his rash surrender. They had drawn him into their hangar bay, where several soldiers were waiting for him with large, grey, boxy weapons. They weren’t pointing them at him, not directly, but he felt as if they were only a little provocation away from doing just that, so he was doing his best not to push them in that direction. In the mean time, he distracted himself as best he could by taking in his surrounds, although it didn’t make for much of an inspection - the inside of this starship seemed as bland as its outside, and even the people continued that theme, with greyscale skin varying between milk-white and midnight-black, and any number of shades in between, while their uniforms were all the same uninteresting shade of slate. Even their hair was monochrome.

Finally someone stomped into the room, nodded at the guards, and approached him. Her uniform didn’t show any rank markings that he could detect, but the way everyone deferred to her told him all that he needed - this had to be the leader of this little band. He gave her a friendly, ingratiating smile, and hoped it conveyed his intention of ‘Please do not start shooting at me, lasers are dreadful for my complexion.’ She just frowned back, and looked him up and down.

“You are not the person we are looking for.”

He bowed just a little. “I’m terribly sorry to hear that. My-”

“Your emotions are not relevant. You are visiting Naryan space?”

“I am, and may I say how-”

“That is acceptable. Cause no trouble while you visit. This is a peaceful territory, and we will not accept aliens coming here to cause disturbance to our way of life.”

“Of course. On which note, you mentioned that you are looking for someone?”

Another stern look. “That is not relevant to you. It is an internal matter, regarding disruptive behaviour committed by a Naryan citizen.”

His friendly expression had become something of a grimace, and he did his best to convert it back. “Oh, of course, and I would not dream of interfering, but perhaps you could use my assistance? I am rather talented at dealing with, ah, disruptive individuals.” He struck a pose - chest out, fists on hips, head cocked so his teeth glinted white in the light, and proclaimed: “That is why they call me Captain Cosmic - Hero of Earth!”

She did not look particularly impressed, but she blinked at him, and nodded. “Very well. If you wish to help us create order, we will accept your assistance. Be aware that this individual is very dangerous. Specifically, they are capable of energy attacks powerful enough to penetrate the hull of a warship. If you do manage to locate them, you are advised to avoid engaging. Simply contact us and we will arrange the capture.”

“Of course,” he smiled and bowed slightly. “Thank you for your help, Captain…”

“You may call me Commander Toklar.”

“Commander. Thank you, and may I say how much I look forward to seeing you again once I capture this troublemaker.”

He twinkled his eyes at her, and all she gave him was yet another frown.

Somehow, being back out in the depths of space made him feel like he could breathe. He always tried not to judge alien cultures by his own standards, tried to remind himself that their society was perfectly legitimate…but these Naryans seemed awfully stifling. On the other hand, he had only really met their military - perhaps, he dared to hope, the civilian population demonstrated a little less conformity. It might make it more bearable, if he were to spend any significant time in these parts.

Now, Hugh, he scolded himself, some people think the British are a cold and humourless people, and how would you feel if you chanced to meet such a person? You would probably answer their presumption with haughty disdain, wouldn’t you? And he had to admit that yes, he probably would.

So, then, enough of this cultural posturing - it was time to get to work! He pulled himself up and came to a complete stop, hanging weightless in the darkness. His eyes closed as he reached out with his cosmic senses. Even without this level of focus, he’d felt the life and energy of the system, but now that he was paying attention, it was like a fireworks display on the inside of his skull. The brightest points were five planets, each buzzing with the signatures of advanced technology, sparkling with life. He tuned those out as best he could - if his target were hanging around on a planet, either they would be so obvious that the Naryans would have already caught them, or subtle enough that he would never be able to detect them from out here, and neither possibility was terribly worth considering just now. The next-most-obvious traces were those of countless ships, handfuls of bulky military vessels sharing space with any number of civilian transports and mining ships and cargo vessels that shuffled ponderously back and forth, a few of them making their way out of the system but the vast majority tracing lines from planet to planet until their lanes hung there in the dark, a distant red-gold tracery almost solid enough to touch.

He pushed those away too, and that left him with almost nothing. For the length of a minute or two he simply hung there, alone in the drifting emptiness, straining his senses and hearing nothing but the sunlight as it reflected from planets and asteroids, and the faint crackle of far-away stars.

Nothing else made itself apparent, and eventually he opened his eyes and frowned. Well, then. Not as easy as I might have hoped. But then, if it were easy, why would they have needed my help? A rueful shake of his head. At this rate, the Naryans had at least as good a chance as he did of catching this person. The image of Commander Toklar’s stern, disapproving face flashed before his eyes, and he found his mouth hardening. No, I don’t think I want to let them beat me. I’ll show them what a human can do. He fidgeted while he thought, playing with the high-tech cuffs dangling at his hip - cuffs which, according to the Naryans, ought to drain his target of the powers that made them such a threat. He hoped they would work as advertised, although he certainly didn’t plan to bet his life on that little hope.

But the question remained, what could he do now? His powers didn’t seem to be providing any answers. Then I suppose that only leaves my intellect. Dear me. Now think, Hugh, where would you hide if it were you? He had already dismissed the inhabited planets as irrelevant to his search, and the starships were probably the same. But there didn’t seem to be very many uninhabited spots in this little system - one very small planetoid out near its edge, and a strangely dense asteroid field lying in a strip between a couple of the planets. Yes, that looks perfect. Rather inhospitable, perhaps, but an acceptable place to hide for a little while. Mind made up, he launched himself towards it at top speed.

The closer he came, the stranger the asteroid field became. Usually when he found a field like this, it would be quite diffuse - a few icy rocks scattered in a ;loose circle around their star - but this one had clumped up quite densely, with some of its rocks no more than a hundred metres apart. They were a varied bunch, as well, some that were little globes as small as a fist, some others were jagged ovoids two or three hundred metres wide, and even more seemed to tick off every possible size and shape in between. He amused himself by launching himself between them, gliding through narrowing gaps and winding around whirling stone monsters, taking a moment just to exult in the joy of flight, and so it came as quite a shock when he zoomed around the edge of yet another massive chunk of stone and found himself staring at something that seemed almost impossible.

There in front of him, set into the side of one of the asteroids, was a building.

He drifted in toward it and took a closer, narrower look. He’d seen asteroid mining facilities before, but those tended to be spindly metallic structures, built cheaply for a single purpose and disassembled for their parts when the job was done. This didn’t look anything like one of those - it was immense, and had clearly been sturdily-built and intimidating before it had been ruined. Most of it was little more than foundations and outlines now, but a couple of the walls still rose up from the ground, metal and concrete forms that were almost a metre thick and whose tallest parts still stretched up to almost twice his height. What in the world could have caused this sort of destruction? He drifted nearer to the centre of the ruin, and glanced down at something in the dust that made him frown. Now what might that be?

He was so distracted that he didn’t notice when the cosmic energy he’d been seeking started to swell. Nor did he notice when a bright blue glow cast itself around his shadow. He did, however, notice the berserker shout that tore through the void around him, and whirled himself around, his left arm producing a shield just in time to deflect a massive stone from crashing into his face. Revealed in the space behind it, he saw his enemy - a woman who floated as easily as he did, her blue-and-white costume accented by the bright blue glow of energy shining from her fists, almost as bright as the hate in her eyes. Their gazes met, and she let out an animal snarl: “YOU.”

“Galactra.” He sighed. “I take it you’re the Naryan ‘troublemaker?’ Perhaps I should have known.” Although, in his defence, they had told him he was looking for somebody local, and until now, he’d never known where his attractive antagonist had come from. But I suppose everybody comes from somewhere, don’t they?

“And you’re their latest desperate attempt to stop me! Pathetic.” She sneered. “You should run away now, while you have the chance.”

“I can’t do that. If you’re doing something to these people-”

The rest of that sentence was lost as she roared and threw herself at him, and he barely had time to bring his shield up and catch her punch. Another landed hard, and another - then he raised his guard a little too far, and a strike slipped underneath, energy exploding on his abdomen and throwing him back, tumbling end over end before he caught himself and came up to face her again. She swept in, on the attack, but now he had her measure. He dropped his guard to his side, while the other hand came up, a golden sword appearing out of nothing and licking out at the onrushing berserker. His first attack hit nothing but forced her to whirl aside and miss him, and as she came back around he pressed his advantage, closing the gap and slashing at her legs. She darted back, then bounced forward just a little faster than he’d expected, smashing a fist into his face. He reeled back in a daze, and she pushed forwards. Reflexively he raised his shield - she just grinned at him, grabbed it with both hands, and an awful hollow feeling started spreading into him as her very touch drained his power away. A few seconds of that treatment and the shield flickered…vanished. He tried to throw himself away again, but now he was much too slow, and the back of her hand caught him on the side of the jaw.

He didn’t realise that he’d momentarily blacked out until he came back to himself, flat on his back on one of the smaller asteroids, and so it was entirely a matter of instinct that let him roll aside before Galactra’s fist smashed into the rock, sending little shards splintering off into space. He kept rolling until he could turn the movement into a leap back to his feet, and right away had to bat away another hurled rock, this one about the size of his head. More followed behind it, a barrage that kept him dodging and blocking and retreating and desperately swatting at them, and through the swarm of stones he saw her smashing a fist into the asteroid’s surface to replenish her stock of ammunition. Goodness. If she keeps on like this, she’ll wear me down long before her own energy runs out, and then she’ll destroy me, no question. So if I can’t keep defending, and I can’t make it through to attack her…

Galactra hurled a final stone with a shout, then stood there on the rock, baring her teeth at the emptiness in front of her, space that by rights ought to be occupied by her enemy’s unconscious body. Immediately her guard was up, and she sent power flooding into her fists, waiting for the counterattack.

None came.

Her eyes flicked around, scanning the field, but the very things that had made it such an appealing place to hide in were now making it a frustrating, claustrophobic arena. Movement played at the edge of her vision, and she spun and thrust out a hand, blowing a small asteroid to smithereens. She growled. And still he was hiding from her! Had he run away? No, not likely. He was always blundering in, always trying to show her the error of her ways, and in all the times they’d inevitably ended up fighting, she’d never seen him just run away. This had to be some sort of trick, some tactic to throw her off-guard.

Well it wasn’t going to work! She shoved herself off her perch and into the void, scanning around for any possible trace of the Captain. And there! Just past the curve of one of the larger rocks, a faint shimmer of golden light. A tiny flex of her power sent her flying towards it, and the light brightened as she closed in, became a trail that was defined enough to follow. She grinned - he would never normally leave tracks like this, which meant that he had to be feeling weak. Vulnerable. Blood surged in her veins and she hurled herself faster at the trail of light, around another rock, and another, racing through that maze on hot on his heels-

And out, out into open space, and suddenly that trail ended and there he was, hanging in front of her and looking just as smug and self-satisfied as ever.

“Oh, there you are. I hope you don’t mind, but I thought it might be nice to have a change of scene.” Golden weapons came back up to guard, and he flashed her a smile. “Ready to finish this?”

As Galactra’s fists blazed and she roared into yet another attack, Captain Cosmic had to steel himself not to show his fear. Oh, he’d goaded her, taken her away from her defensible position, and drawn her out here…and in the process, made her angry enough that she was ten times as powerful as she had been, ten times as deadly. He just had to hope against hope that his plan would work.

Less of a plan, really, and more of a desperate gamble. Oh well, too late to worry about that now!

She punched at him again and again, and even with both sword and shield, it was all he could do to fend off her blows. Even counterattacking was out of the question. Most people would have been weakened by their anger, but Galactra’s passions were the absolute heart of her power, and so even as her attacks became wilder and less controlled, their strength made him flinch away. He didn’t dare try and block her directly, so as another strike came directly at his face, he dodged to the right and swatted at her arm with his shield to help her on her way. The move bought him maybe a third of a second. Her attacks were relentless, furious, and every one of them wore him down a little more - which, given he’d started this second skirmish already half-exhausted, meant that by now he was barely holding himself together.

Just a little longer now, he told himself. A little longer!

She dove at him again, and he slipped out of her path - but she’d tricked him! A kick lashed out and caught him across the midsection, and he flew back into the rock, the landing tearing the breath out of his lungs. He tried to rise - too late. Galactra landed, one foot cracking the ground on either side of him, her hand smashing down to crack his head once more into the asteroid. His head spun as she grabbed him by the throat and hauled him up, her eyes glaring deep into his own.

“Weak. After everything we’ve had together, I expected better from you! But you could never beat me. You don’t want it badly enough.”

He felt his energy, his life force being sapped away, his vision was swimming - then, over her shoulder, something came into view, and he smiled. “Maybe I couldn’t,” he croaked. “But I think they might manage.”

She whirled around, and snarled as she saw them - not one, but two Naryan cruisers, coming towards them as fast as their engines could manage, weapons already charging and just searching for a good lock. Meanwhile, from his spot kneeling on the rock, the Captain coughed and tried to get his breath back in order. “I knew I couldn’t fight you inside that asteroid field, there were far too many weapons for you to use. Far too many places to hide. Then I thought about why you were there in the first place, and it all came together. All that stone made it hard for the fleet to detect your power. But if I drew you out…”

There was a click, and Galactra looked down at her wrist, where a metal cuff had somehow appeared, with the Captain’s hand on it. He gave her a grim little smile. “If I drew you out, they might be able to distract you for long enough that I could get the upper hand.”

“What!?” She tore her arm out of his grip, and swung it at his face - but too slowly, much too slowly. He scrambled back and up to his feet, and when she tried to dash towards him, she found herself almost stumbling over her own. “What is this, what did you do to me!?”

“Those are a set of power-dampening cuffs that your victims gave me. I’m taking you in.” His voice was cool and steady again. “I think it would be best if you didn’t fight that fact any longer.”

She screeched and hurled herself at him, her leading fist humming with power - but it was weaker, now. She was weaker. He took her attack on his shield, and held his ground, held it as she slammed down another strike, and then another, each of them slower, fainter, weaker.

Still, even if it was weakening her body, it couldn’t do the same for her will. She gritted her teeth, and despite it all, the light in her left fist started to grow once more. “Never…going…to…give…in!” The fist came straight at his face - and he grabbed her wrist, wrenched it down, and slapped it into the other cuff.

The light went out, her eyes fluttered closed, and Hugh slipped his arm around her waist to keep her unconscious body from just dropping back to the asteroid under their feet. He half-smiled. It was a little strange to see her calm, and without her power, she seemed vulnerable, her body strong but slender in his grip. She looked almost like the innocent person she sometimes pretended to be. A few strands of bright blue hair fell across her face, and he brushed them away.

A shadow passed over them, and he looked up at the massive ship as it closed in and blocked out the starlight. Right, of course, the reason he was here in the first place. He nodded to himself, checked his careful hold to make sure her neck was cradled properly, and took flight toward the gaping hangar bay.

The Naryans did not seem terribly grateful for his efforts, nor impressed by their results - his appearance with Galactra in their airlock was greeted with as little surprise as if he had returned from a quick trip to the shops. They greeted him stoically, and a pair of guards stoically led him to the cells where they left their captive, before escorting him, stoically as ever, to the Bridge, where Commander Toklar was waiting to meet him. They nodded to her, she nodded to them, and they departed, leaving the two of them standing together in the centre of the room, while around the edges, various officers worked at their stations with a quiet efficiency.

“You were successful in capturing our troublemaker,” said the Commander, and Hugh smiled, expecting some degree of praise. The smile faltered after a few seconds, when no further comment had been forthcoming. He fell back on the obvious.

“Yes. As I said, I have a certain amount of experience with this sort of thing. And, of course, this isn’t the first time she and I have crossed paths.”

“Ah.” And that was all - Toklar didn’t seem the slightest bit interested in the details, which he supposed meant it would be rude to barrel ahead and provide them. Even about the time when she’d stolen a moon and he had to return it to its original home, an adventure which still brought him a certain amount of pride. But no, this Commander would hardly appreciate it properly. Pity.

In fact, it was rather odd to think of her being captured. It had hardly ever happened before, and on those rare occasions when it had, she had still escaped soon after. He had started to think that their fates were somehow linked, and that they were doomed to keep finding each other, battling endlessly, bringing nothing but destruction and despair to those in their wake. It was a rather grim thought.

He cleared his throat. “I, ah, made sure she was properly secured in your cells, since she can be a rather… dangerous person, on occasion. Although I must say, those cuffs you provided certainly took some of the fight out of her.” The image of her helpless body flashed into his mind’s eye, with an accompanying surge of guilt, and he couldn’t help asking: “They won’t harm her, will they?”

“They will not do any permanent damage.”

“Oh. Good, good.”

A few more moments passed in uncomfortable silence. Uncomfortable for him, that is - Toklar did not seem to care one jot. Hugh shifted his weight, fidgeted, cleared his throat again.

“What will be done with her now? Some kind of punishment, I suppose?”

“We are taking her to Elanna Bos for judgement by a Panel of Truth. They will decide what to do next.”

“And what is that likely to be, do you think?”

The Naryan Commander blinked thoughtfully at him. “Since she has demonstrated that she is unable to manage her emotions in the proper manner, the most probable outcome is that the Panel will send her to have a treatment to remove them. It is called the Chemical Correction.”

“You mean…” his mouth gaped. “That’s awful! Barbaric!”

“No, it’s quite painless.”

“But to deaden someone’s mind that way! How can you justify something so…so cruel?”

Another lizard-like blink. “It is the rational thing to do. She will be treated, and once she recovers, she will finally be able to rejoin society. Why, what does your culture do with antisocial misfits?”

Do with them?” His mouth opened and closed a couple of times. “What do we do? Well, nothing, really. Not in the way that you mean. That is-”

“Nothing.” The voice was as flat as ever, but he felt it still carried a trace of surprise. “You do nothing to help them. That is far more ‘barbaric’ than the way we treat those who struggle to fit into our civilization.”

Hugh’s mouth worked in shock and anger and confusion, but he kept it closed, and the rest of the flight passed without his speaking another word.

Hugh had not expected to need any special accommodations when he had idly flown into this system, so it was fortunate that the Naryans arranged a room for him in the capital on Elanna Bos. It wasn’t luxurious, not at all, but it was a private space with a bed and an en-suite, and that was more consideration than he had expected from them at this point.

It had been a long day - a long, hard, exhausting day, full of unpleasantness and unexpected people - and he was feeling just as tired as he would have expected. But he lay there on the soft grey bed in the small grey room, and sleep evaded him. He couldn’t get comfortable. His head ached. His face itched, and when he scratched, the itch just slipped out of reach around his shoulder to continue needling at him. Eventually he sat up, rubbed his face, and scowled.

Within five minutes, he was outside on the street, walking aimlessly, all but alone, with just a few locals walking rapidly past on the way to deal with their own problems. Not one of them showed the slightest interest in him, despite how blatantly his red and gold contrasted against their monochrome. He kept on wandering, letting his eyes skim over the scenery with no particular direction. Much of it was as grey and boxy and personality-deficient as everything had been on board the ship, but where that blandness had been unbroken, here there were some splashes of colour: at regular intervals, notices stood out from the walls, reminding the viewers that “A Rational Person Is An Efficient Person,” and “It Is Wrong To Deviate From Your Assigned Role,” and “Antisocial Behaviour Will Be Punished.”

The last one particularly caught his attention. In fact, it transfixed him. It didn’t look like much - there was no artistry to attract his attention, nothing more than block letters on a strong, bright background. But the text was quite enough. “Antisocial Behaviour Will Be Punished.” Yes, it certainly would. The thought was appalling - ripping all emotion away from a person, leaving them barely more than a husk of their old self. And even if perhaps there were those for whom that would mean little, to do it to Galactra, whose emotions defined her so entirely…and who was, even now, locked in a cell, unconscious and powerless because of him…

He closed his eyes and sighed. “I think I’ve made a terrible mistake.”

Galactra had barely enough energy to stand upright and focus her eyes in front of her, not enough to keep from slouching sideways, and definitely not enough to pay attention to the four people who droned on in front of her. They were saying something they thought was important, about who she was and what she’d done and what was going to happen to her, and even if she hadn’t been power-drained to within a millimetre of senselessness, she might not have bothered to listen. Not for the first time, she found herself straining at her cuffs, flexing her wrists as if she could just burst out of them. She’d done similar things before, but this time it wasn’t working, for some reason. Oh, right, yes, the power-draining. Obviously.

She tried again anyway.

One droning voice stopped, and another started up, in a more intent tone. It paused, then spoke again, and the fog in her brain cleared a little more, enough for her to hear: “The critical elements will be reviewed, and the Panel will decide how to proceed. Do you have any facts you wish to raise at this time?”

She frowned, and shook her head.

“Then this process will be simple. Now-”

Suddenly a door banged open behind her, and a strong, confident voice cut across the drone.

“Actually, I think you’ll find today will be unexpectedly complex. Allow me to introduce myself: my name is Hugh Lowsley, Captain Cosmic and a barrister of Earth. I am here to speak in Galactra’s defence.”

It would be wrong to describe the sudden murmuring in the room as ‘shocked,’ given the flat tones in which they were delivered, but certainly it didn’t sound as though the Captain’s arrival had been expected. And if anyone else here was surprised by his arrival, Galactra was positively stunned - even through her haze, she managed to spin and face him, her jaw dropping open, her eyes wide. He was standing there looking absurdly smug, holding a large book as if it were a shield and he were charging into battle. She had never been so happy to see him in her life. She wanted to punch his stupid beautiful face.

One of the four Panel members was speaking – the tall one on the far left. “Outsiders are not permitted to witness or contribute to these proceedings. You will either leave or be removed.”

“Oh, I’m sure that is usually true! But I took the liberty of reviewing your rules and procedures here - which, by the way, I thought were admirably thorough and detailed, I’m extremely pleased to meet a people with such an enthusiasm for judicial procedure - and it seems that there is a provision for some individual to raise relevant facts on behalf of the Panel’s subject, in the event that they are not fully capable. Section seven, paragraph forty-one. Now, I don’t know about you, but I look at this woman and I see someone who looks almost asleep on her feet, barely capable of standing upright, never mind defending herself before a Panel of Truth. Would you agree with that interpretation of the facts?”

There were more mutters as four pairs of eyes stared closely at her. She managed to shoot a glare back, and swayed a little to the side as she did so.

“That does seem accurate. And do you have some facts to contribute?”

“Oh, I believe I do indeed! But first, I would like to take us back to the basic details of this case. If that is alright with the honorable Panel, that is.”

The sharp, intent Panelist on the right responded, his words clipped shorter than his hair. “The generalities have already been discussed. Only the most critical will be reviewed now. Had you been here earlier-”

“Of course, your Honour, I can only apologise and reply that it was the density and thoroughness and general perfection of these rules and procedures which kept me from being here sooner. So in that case, perhaps you could oblige me - and anyone else in the room who may have forgotten, indeed - by recounting a brief summary of the offences with which my admirable, estimable, honestly delightful client here is in fact being charged?”

Four sets of eyes blinked confusedly. The Panelists looked at each other, then back to Hugh. “What?”

“Why has Galactra been brought here?”

“Oh. Hmph.” One of them nodded to a stiff-looking person standing near the end of their table, one Hugh had assumed to be one more of the guards lining the edges of the room, who turned to look into the middle distance somewhere between Hugh and Galactra, and intoned: “Class Ten Antisocial Behaviour. Class Four Social Disturbance. Class Five Incitement. Class Nine Disobedience of Legal Authority. Class Seven Vandalism. Spitting.”

The Captain had started nodding along to the list, and even now that it was over, he seemed stuck in that motion, head bobbing stupidly for several seconds until he noticed it and came to a jerky stop.

“Right,” he said. “Right. I see. Thank you.” He cleared his throat. “A very thorough list, certainly. Yes. Could I perhaps trouble you for a short recess to speak with my client? Shall we say thirty minutes?”

The first Panelist said; “No. There is no provision for such a ‘recess’ in our process. If you wish to remain, you will follow the rules.”

“Certainly, certainly! Then, instead, might I draw your attention to section eleven, paragraph eight of the procedures, and request a private meeting with my client to assess her health? Say, perhaps, thirty minutes?”

As one, the Panel stared coldly at him, and the one sitting second from the right side spoke: “This Panel will reconvene in fifteen minutes.”

Hugh smiled, and gave a little bow. “Thank you, your Honours.”

What did you do!

The guards had found them a small, private room, and - with some encouragement from the Captain - taken up their posts outside the door, leaving them alone. Galactra had slumped into a chair by one wall, while Captain Cosmic stared at her, running a hand through his hair and just hoping it wouldn’t all go grey before he left this system.

She shrugged at him. “Why do you care?”

“I care because, for some absurd reason, they seem to think that whatever it was is sufficient justification for ripping your emotions away, and while I can’t say I always approve of how you apply them, I rather feel that such a punishment shouldn’t be imposed on anybody! Not even on you.”

“Wow, thanks.” She rolled her eyes. “Anyway, I didn’t have to do anything. They wanted to give me the Chemical long before you and I ever met, just for not fitting into their stupid society. This latest thing is just an excuse.”

“Hmm. Well, I suppose that makes a lot of sense, given what I’ve seen of them. But it would still help to know what you are being accused of. ‘Class Ten Antisocial Behaviour’? Sounds quite serious.” And certainly like nothing that he could wave away as ‘just’ an excuse.

A scoff. “Please. They charged me with Class Two once when I was a kid and I threw my lunch on the ground. These idiots throw accusations and punishments around like confetti.”

He waited in silence and watched her stewing, until she noticed him and sneered. “Fine! Fine, you really want to know? I was out in the middle of nowhere, enjoying myself, when all of a sudden something reminded me of the place I grew up and the people I grew up with, and I remembered how I felt about being told to restrain and control myself, to carve my personality into a shape that would suit them! Because that’s what it’s like here, understand? You have to be exactly who they tell you to be, act how they tell you to act, or you’re treated like some sort of…of plague! So I figured that I couldn’t possibly be the only person ever to feel like that, could I? Even some of the people I grew up with didn’t seem all that good at fitting in. So I thought, what if I went back there and really showed them how good it is being free, letting your passions go, doing what you want to do instead of what everyone tells you to do! Wouldn’t that be great?” She gave a sour laugh. “Of course it wouldn’t. It seemed to be going well enough at first - I landed in a public space on Immanar and yelled my little speech to the crowds there, to anyone who wanted to hear it, then I took off before the authorities could do anything about me! Did the same on Tya Kence, and then I flew down here to Elanna Bos, and…” Her face twisted, angry and humiliated.

"They were ready for you, weren’t they?”

“Yes! They tricked me! Trapped me like an animal!” She exploded up from her chair and charged up to him, close enough that he could feel her breath on his face. “They figured me out! Had a crowd all waiting for me and everything! And you know, they all really seemed to get into it, as much as anyone around here can. I was losing myself in the story, telling them all about how great my life has been since I left, and then suddenly there were these explosions, and smoke was everywhere and I couldn’t see anything, and that’s when they sent in the soldiers. A whole company of them! I must have smashed a hundred, but it seemed like there was no limit to the bastards, and eventually I had to run away. I took off into space, and figured the ruins of Vixudian would be the last place any Naryan would think of looking.” Another scorching glare. “But I guess I wasn’t planning for a human to try and find me.”

He found he was leaning back to escape her anger, and self-consciously straightened up, then gave her an awkward smile. “Sorry about that.”

“Bah, whatever. It was all pointless anyway. People around here don’t want saving. They’re happy like this.”

“Hmm.” Hugh’s mind was whirring now, trying to use the little she’d told him to find some way out. “Well, the bad news is, I can’t exactly claim you’re innocent, since from what you’ve told me, you did everything that they claim - and in front of large crowds of onlookers, to boot. That rather puts the kibosh on any thought of casting doubt on the evidence. I had rather hoped for a little more flexibility…”

“So you’re telling me you have no idea what to do next.”

“None whatsoever. Well, not none. But no good ideas.”

“Ugh.” She rolled her eyes up to the ceiling, exhausted. “I knew this was a wasted effort. Knew I couldn’t rely on you.”

The scorn in her voice was hard to bear, but he couldn’t exactly contradict her. He sighed. “I’m sorry. If I’d known what they wanted to do to you, I never would have helped them.”

All he got for that was a sneer. He tried again. “Honestly, I mean it. I know we haven’t always been on the same side, but that doesn’t mean I want you dead. Or whatever this chemical concoction will do to you.”

“It’s going to take away every part of who I really am. ‘Dead’ is close enough.”

The silence that followed after that comment was extremely uncomfortable.

Hugh cleared his throat and attempted one last conversational gambit. “Well. Since my ideas have hit an unfortunate snag…did you have some kind of escape plan? I’m starting to think it might come in handy.”

She rolled her glare over to him, then rolled it away again. “No.”

“Really? Surely you’ve thought of something! It isn’t like you to give up!”

“Today it is.” She wasn’t even looking at him now, and he thought that maybe, in the corner of her eye, he could see tears starting. Well, he couldn’t have that! He slid into the seat next to her, and said: “You know, I don’t think I’ve ever told you this, but: I like how strong you are. I think it’s very impressive. You feel things so much, you want things so intensely, and perhaps sometimes that leads you into trouble, but it makes you powerful, too.”

“Shut up.” The tears were in her voice, too. He kept going.

“You’re a fighter, Galactra. You’ve never surrendered before, and I don’t believe you’re going to start now!” He found himself standing again, the energy and conviction in his voice building towards their crescendo. "When you believe in yourself, there’s nothing you can’t accomplish, no enemy you can’t overcome! We just have to work together. So tell me - what are you going to do? What’s your plan?

“Plan?” Suddenly she was standing, looming over him. “My plan? I didn’t plan to get captured, I didn’t plan for any of this, so now my plan is to rip these cuffs off, blast you in half, and kill everyone in that room! Maybe tear the whole planet in half!”

He barked one startled laugh. “Hah! Well, now. As your lawyer, I advise against saying any of that in front of the Panel.”

The look she gave him could have burned through a battleship. Sensing that he had perhaps pushed his luck a little further than was really sensible, he offered up a small and conciliatory smile. “Look, you don’t really want to hurt anyone, or you wouldn’t be here in the first place. Would you? You were trying to help people, to show them another way of living. Honestly I think that’s rather wonderful of you. Now, we both want you out of this place, we just have to find the right way!”

Anything else he might have said on this subject was cut short - the door opened, and both guards stepped inside. The first of them gave Cosmic a blank look. “Your time is up.” They walked over to Galactra, and took her by the elbows to lead her out. Before they could move her, though, she leaned down over the Captain, brought her face in nice and close to his own, and hissed:

“You got me into this mess, clever man. Get! Me! Out of it!”

Hugh had been in some tedious courtrooms in his time, but this one was something special. All four members of the Panel spoke in a grinding monotone - each in their own pitch and cadence, perhaps, but each still just as boring as the rest. There was no jury to play to, no murmuring gallery, just the two of them, the Panelists, and the guards. The only thing that stopped him from nodding off was the knowledge of what was at stake here.

They had already gone over the broad strokes of Galactra’s actions on Immanar, her ranting and rabble-rousing. He had tried to stall by asking as many clarifying questions as he thought he could get away with, but the Panelists had barely tolerated him, answering briefly when they felt he was worth answering at all. The discussion of Tya Kence had gone the same way, and as they closed that discussion, he felt a wave of despair pass over him. Just one more planet left, then they would presumably move on to sentencing - and given how little success he had had so far, he wasn’t holding out much hope of changing their minds on that front.

Could I just…grab her and make for the door? He looked around at all the guards, and came to the conclusion that maybe, perhaps, but not without putting a lot of innocent lives at risk. And much as I care for Galactra, I’m not willing to take that chance. Not while I have other options.

It was the sternest-looking Panelist on the far right who started that next topic, and almost as soon as he did, Hugh felt the spark of an idea.

“The third planet she targeted was Elanna Bos. By this point her actions had been analysed and an extrapolation made which suggested a high probability that she would arrive near the central government facility, and the strategists involved had decided to lay a trap for her. A crowd was gathered, instructed on their expected behaviour, and when Galactra appeared on the planet, she did so in the manner predicted. Once confirmation had been received that she was present and the Guardian forces were prepared, the order was given to capture her-”

Hugh loudly cleared his throat. “If I may?”

The Panelist stared at him, and for half a second Hugh could have sworn he saw his eyebrow twitching. “Yes, alien? Did you wish to be informed what a Guardian is? Or perhaps it is the word ‘crowd’ which confuses you this time?”

“Oh, no, your Honour. Actually my question is a more practical one: why was that order given?”

Four sets of eyes blinked slowly at him, and it was the second Panelist who answered. “To stop the troublemaker. That is what Guardians are for.”

“Well no, I understand that much, thank you. It’s just that I was thinking: I’m told your whole culture is a very logical, very rational one, and so I wonder why, from a logical and rational point of view, you didn’t simply…let her go? Since at this point she hadn’t caused anyone any actual harm, and in the chaos immediately following that command, a large number of people were hurt (although I ought to mention that my client’s guilt or lack thereof in the causing of these injuries has not been established). Wasn’t that somewhat…unwise?”

The first Panelist cleared her throat. “You are correct that she had not caused any physical injury at that point, but she was engaged in the spread of dangerous ideas, and encouraging people to attempt social change. In the long term, it is possible that such ideas would do much more damage to our society than mere violence.” The other Panelists nodded their heads, once each.

“Possible? Well, possible, all sorts of things are possible. But is it probable? In a society full of rational, sensible people such as yourselves, one assumes that her ideas would only proliferate if they too were rational and sensible. Don’t you think?” And he allowed himself a cheery little smile. Talk your way out of that one, friend.

But it seemed as if the Panel didn’t share his assessment of the relative merits of each side of the argument. The second one chimed in again, with: “That is our ideal. Many of the Naryan people exemplify it, including we who sit before you. However, not everyone finds it so easy. It is because of those people that we have our Guardians, and if necessary, methods such as psychological re-conditioning and the Chemical Correction.”

In other words, the people need to be ruled with an iron fist, it’s for their own good! Hugh swallowed his disgust, and shot a look at Galactra. The cuffs seemed to have overtaken her again - her head was hanging forwards, shoulders were slumped, posture uneven. She seemed either drunk or despairing, neither of which was a look he was used to seeing on her. That swallowed distaste bubbled back up in his throat, and all at once he found it bubbling out of his mouth: “Ah, yes. This Chemical Correction I hear so much of. The very punishment you are so excited to impose on my client. I’m terribly curious, you know. Please, tell me all about it.”

Those cold stares cut into him, but he stood there and stared right back. He was onto something now, he could feel it, like fingers tracing around a missing puzzle piece. Finally one of them submitted to his will.

“It is not a punishment, as you call it. The Chemical Correction is a medical procedure, undertaken when more conventional means of emotional regulation have proven inadequate. The subject is treated with a short course of carefully-prepared medicine, which reduces the pressure their emotions can exert to its minimum level. This ensures that they are able to function effectively in our society. Some people even volunteer for the procedure, those who feel it will be helpful for them.”

“Oh, well, in that case I’m sure it’s perfectly fine! Why, I imagine it’s very widespread, hmm? Just out of interest, has anyone in this room been subjected to it?” He looked around theatrically. “Anyone? No? How strange!”

The fourth Panelist gave him a deathly look. “Do you have a point, Earth man?”

“I just think it’s terribly curious, that this procedure is apparently so normal and so safe and so very useful for the common people, and yet somehow, none of the people passing it down as a judgement have experienced it themselves. I would suggest that either it is viewed as a punishment, and nobody here has been judged worthy of it (although of course you have already denied the essentials of this theory), or alternatively, it is so harmful that nobody who has experienced it is then capable of holding any significant position in your society. Do you have any alternative suggestions?”

“This is not relevant.” The third Panelist was leaning forward, now, almost halfway across the table, her face even more carefully still than it had been before. “The Chemical Correction has been used to support our society ever since the creation of the Naryan Unity - in fact, since the destruction of Vixudian. You will not persuade us to change that part of our world over the course of a single day. It is not possible.”

“Ah, tradition. Lovely. And certainly all the traditions I’ve ever known have been famously rational.” A few more sarcastic comments started queueing behind his teeth - then something the Panelist had said caught in his mind, and in spite of everything, he found himself smiling. “Actually…forgive me, your Honours, I think I may have been overcome by the wonder of your illustrious presence. And I think my client might be experiencing the same problem.” He gestured over to Galactra, who, despite his words, actually seemed to be regaining her focus. “I wonder if we could request another very brief medical check? Perhaps twenty minutes?”

He was pretty sure he heard the Panel growling - but the first one leaned forward with something that was almost a smile, arrogance practically dripping from her as she spoke. “Very well. You have twenty minutes.”

Cosmic strode into the room ahead of Galactra, and nodded to the guards, taking her from them and ushering her not-entirely-gently into the private room, shoving the door closed behind them. “Sit.” He practically shoved her down into a chair, then spun himself into the one beside it and faced her, bright-eyed and breathless. “That asteroid field where I found you, that’s the remnant of Vixudian, isn’t it? I need you to tell me what happened to the planet. Quickly as you can, please, we haven’t much time!”

“But…” She blinked at him in bafflement, “that’s just an old story, it doesn’t matter now. And besides, everyone in there will have heard it before, lots of times.”

“Well, I’ve never heard it. And I have a hunch it may matter more than you imagine.”

Another slow, sceptical blink, and then: “Alright, fine. Story time.” She cleared her throat, and when she started again, it was in the sing-song tone of a fairy tale: "Hundreds of years ago, there was no Naryan Unity. Instead, this system was made up of several different planets. In every important way, each of these planets was essentially the same as the others, but the people who lived there felt that they were different in important ways, and so these feelings made them angry at each other. Often they would get so angry that they sent their war ships to fight each other. Lots of people were killed in these fights, and the more scientifically advanced we all became, the more dangerous the fights got. Eventually the situation became so bad that almost everyone realised that these feelings were going to kill us all.

“Some logical people said we should stop having so many emotions, but others didn’t want to do that, because their emotions said that would be bad. These emotional people were few, but they were unpredictable and dangerous. They grouped themselves into an organisation with the symbol of a twelve-pointed starburst, to symbolise the bursting power of their emotions, and started trying to persuade people to their side. Still, it looked like they would lose, and everyone would choose to give up their emotions in the name of peace.

“That’s why they did something horrible. They knew that the government of Vixudian were going to join the agreement to suppress all emotion, so they attacked. They brought all their forces together and took Vixudian over.

“It is reasonable to think that they were trying to take over the whole system, but they hadn’t expected the reaction of the other planets. All the others saw what had happened to Vixudian, and banded together to attack. The emotional alliance fought very hard, but the other planets were stronger, and in the fighting, the whole planet of Vixudian was destroyed.

“That is the tale of how Vixudian died and the Naryan Unity was born."

Hugh smiled. “A very pretty story, well told. And I think it gives me exactly what I need.” He stood up sharply. “I just need to go and confirm it. Wait right here - I promise, I will come back for you.”

He strode to the door, opened it, and paused. Turned his head to face her. Grimaced. “Ah. But, if by some chance, I am delayed a little…do your best to stall the Panel. Best of luck!” And with that, he slipped through the door and slammed it shut behind him, leaving her staring after him like a confused, angry statue.

“That’s the best you have? Stall them!?

Minutes dragged by, and with each one that passed, the seed of despair in her chest grew a little more. Her head was still hazy as the cuffs chafed and buzzed at her wrists, locking her power and vitality away. She idly wrenched at them again. No luck. That haze was getting harder to hold back, too - as the dread crowded in on her, her focus was forced out. She started to lose her sense of time, of place. The walls blurred, grey plaster becoming grey fog. She blinked her eyes, tried to fight it, but there was nothing to get angry at, nothing to fight, and the greyness was closing in.

The door banged open, and hope surged in her chest - then fell, bitterly, as the two guards walked in. They looked at her without happiness, without anger, their faces blank and empty. “Your time is up. You will come with us.”

They stepped towards her, hands reaching out to grab her by the shoulders, but anger gave her a little strength, and she pushed her body upright. “Get your filthy little claws off me! I can walk for myself.” Which she did, striding forwards out of the room and letting them trail awkwardly after. She stomped her way, determinedly if a little unsteadily, towards the hearing chamber. Some unconscious part of her watched the Guardians posted by every door, and made its little calculations about whether she would win a fight (not likely, not on her own and especially not weakened like this), but the rest of her was focused on her destination, a cutting torch of fury. If she had to face this, and face it alone, then at least she would do it with her head high and angry words on her lips.

The chamber doors appeared before her and swung themselves open, robbing her of the chance to kick them in, so all she could do was bare her teeth as she stalked into the room. The Panel were already sitting again, waiting for her, watching her with those cold, heartless eyes as she approached. Stars, how she hated them. These four might as well have been every single person on this planet who had ever wronged her - from her teachers who called her ‘disruptive’ to her parents who thought she was immature, to the friends who had outgrown her and abandoned her. Her hate was bright and hot, it helped push back the clouds in her head, and she cherished it.

The fourth Panelist spoke. “Where is the Earth man?”

“He left,” said one of her Guardians, without elaboration.

“Ah. Well, perhaps that is to be expected. He is, after all, a highly emotional being.” The smallest possible smile crept onto the Panelist’s face. “It is likely that he found it too difficult to hold his mind to one topic for so long. We will continue without him.”

“We had just begun discussing the events leading up to her capture,” reminded the first Panelist.

“That is true,” said the third. “Were there any other facts of importance regarding that time? If not, we should move onto declaring a decision.”

Even the other Panelists seemed a little surprised, but after a brief pause, they each nodded. Galactra, on the other hand, wasn’t quite as pleased with the suggestion.

“What? You’ve been picking over every detail of this stupid situation, and now you suddenly decide you’re in a rush? What’s the matter?” The obvious occurred, and a grim smile pulled at her lips. “Oh, I get it! You’re scared, aren’t you?”

Panelist number two fixed her with a stare. “I remind you that you are currently cuffed, and do not present any physical threat to us.”

“I didn’t say you were scared of me. You’re scared of him. Aren’t you?” The glee was sizzling through her now, light tickling bubbles through that flame of anger and hate. “You’re so used to getting your way, you couldn’t bear having someone stand up to you! And the thought that he might be right? Oh, you couldn’t handle that at all! No wonder you want to rush it now - you’re desperate to be finished before he shows up to ruin everything for you!” A distant boom of thunder underscored the fire of her words.

The first spoke again. “That is not a reasonable perspective. We are focusing only on what is important. Were he present, it is possible that he would raise further irrelevant matters, and it is indeed possible that would cause the process to take longer. But it is unlikely that the outcome would be changed.”

“On the subject of the outcome,” interjected the third, “I suggest that we determine one.”

There was general agreement.

“Very well,” said the first. “Given the nature of this person’s actions, in particular the way they have been repeated and escalated, I suggest that serious action is necessary. I propose that we use the Chemical Correction.”

Fury fought with fear in her chest, and fear started to gain the upper hand as the second said, “I agree.”

The third said, “I agree.”

Terror gripped her, her vision blurred as the fourth Panelist opened his mouth to speak. And then there was a noise, or a series of noises; first a grinding stony crash, then a louder copy of the same, and finally a crackling boom, as light flashed in the room and the Panelists ducked down, the Guardians bringing their weapons up, and Galactra spun around and there he was again, shining gold all over with a grin on his face and a sword evaporating from his hand, as he stepped forwards into the room with the self-assurance of a man who had been born there.

“Sorry I’m a little later than planned. I hope I didn’t miss anything?”

Galactra grinned. “Nothing important.”

“Glad to hear it. Are the Panel…”

“We are still here,” said the second one, sitting back in his chair and brushing fragments of door from his clothing, attempting rather fruitlessly to regain their previous elegance.

“Ah, good. As I was saying, I was unfortunately delayed in returning to you, but I think it was worth it, and I rather hope you will agree.”

“Save your breath, Earth man!” The first Panelist was up now, and not sitting - standing over them, and practically spitting her words. “Before you returned, we were agreeing upon our decision. This interruption is pointless! It changes nothing!”

“Oh, I’m afraid I don’t agree at all! I think it changes everything.” The Captain stepped forward with a smile, and suddenly every eye in the room was focused on him. “You see, in our little intermission, Galactra here told me some of your history - specifically, the story of how Vixudian was destroyed, the heroic Naryan Unity and the terrible, violent villains with their symbol of the twelve-pointed star - and, well, I must say it affected me deeply. You know how we emotional creatures can be! I absolutely had to go and see it for myself, and since I wasn’t sure how soon I would be returning to this lovely sector of space, I borrowed an imaging device from one of your very kind Guardians.” He held up the device in one hand, and waggled it, for effect. “Now of course, much of the planet is simply rocks and dust now, interesting only in an emotional sense which I am sure would not appeal to you, and I will spare you that part of my journey - but then, there are other parts which are, shall we say, more relevant to our discussion. May I?” With a wave of a hand, he called up a bright yellow projector screen and its projector, and the latter flickered into life. He set the camera down on top of the projector, and let the screen start flicking through its images. “Apologies for the monochrome photos, but even my powers have their limits. Now, here we are. As you see, I was able to locate some of the planet’s ruins. This one particularly caught my eye. Note the heavy construction, the tough materials…if I had to guess, I would say this building was intended as a major centre, perhaps a government or military building. Something they wanted built to last. Certainly constructed by the local authorities long before the planet was destroyed. You would all agree, yes?”

Reluctantly, the Panelists nodded.

“Good, good. Now, where were we?” He flicked to the next image - which was, inexplicably, himself at the beach. He was grinning at the camera, and showing off a swimsuit that covered astonishingly little skin. “Oh dear, how did that get in there?”

The Guardians around the room just blinked at him, but the Panelists were looking awfully frustrated, and the fourth one lost his temper entirely. “Enough! You are toying with us! There is no point to this ridiculous presentation!”

“Oh but there is, my friend, there is. The point is not the wreck of Vixudian, the point is not the building…the point is what I found inside.” The next image flashed up, and the room fell into stunned silence.

It was clear - the old building, its ancient stone floor. And marked across it, deeply chiseled and crossing almost from one wall to the other…a twelve-pointed star.

“Now, when I saw this, I had a thought. Your story, as Galactra told it, is that those who used the twelve-pointed star were opposed to stripping away your emotions, and I think that part is quite true. But your story also says that your enemies attacked first, and now, there I have my doubts. Why would an established group, a planetary government indeed, strike out against a superior force? To do such a thing would invite immediate destruction. I’m sure any rational being would agree.”

“But these creatures were anything but rational! They fought in the name of their emotion!” The Panelist spat the word like it was poison, but this time Captain Cosmic spat back.

“Emotion and rationality are not opposed! Both are parts of a functioning brain, and you would know that if you hadn’t dedicated yourselves to ignorance! You and your entire culture have twisted yourself in knots claiming that you are rational and that anything you dislike is irrational, and for what?” One sharp finger pointed at the picture of the star. "That should be proof enough that your story is not entirely true, and I suspect it is closer to absolute rubbish! It wasn’t Vixudian who struck first - it was you! Your predecessors saw that their enemies might encourage people to act against them, and so they acted rationally and destroyed their planet before they had a chance to fight back! That left the way clear for them to create the Naryan Unity, an entire system ruled exactly the way that they wanted!"

This time the shouting didn’t come from one person, but from all around, an absolute chaos as the Panelists yelled at each other, each of them boiling over with rage that had been suppressed for too long and had finally found its outlet, gushing forth like geysers. Guardians wavered, brandishing their weapons but clearly uncertain who they should be pointing them at, or whether they were even allowed to aim them towards a Panelist. In the middle of the room, Hugh surveyed the pandemonium with a strange, detached satisfaction. Not the way I normally like to end a case, he thought to himself, but on this one occasion I suppose it isn’t too bad of an outcome. He looked over to see if Galactra was enjoying it…

And she was gone.

Blast. Forgot myself for a moment there.

He took a quick look around the room, saw that nobody was likely to follow him, and slipped out after her.

The halls had seen better days. Here and there were the scattered bits of rubble from the Captain’s dramatic entrance, and the Guardians had all started rushing towards the noise, ignoring her silent staggering flight in favour of the incredibly loud distraction behind her. She wasn’t sure where she was going, only that she had to keep moving - the blend of joy and fear and anger and love that was roiling in her chest had given her the strength to run, but she could feel the cuffs fighting back, its foggy grey tendrils clawing at her will, and she wasn’t certain how long she could keep this up.

Then a familiar voice shouted from close behind: “Wait!”

She spun around, then had to steady herself as her eyes focused, and sure enough, there he was, her hated love, her dearest enemy…Captain Cosmic. Those confused feelings surged up through her throat, and the first one to come out her mouth was a snarl. “What? Are you here to drag me back again?”

“No.” He took a couple of steps closer to her, but his hands were raised and open in a gesture of peace. “Galactra, I’m sorry. I made a mistake fighting you, I made a mistake bringing you here. Please, you’re nearly free - let me help you get the rest of the way.”

He took another step forwards, and another. Just the sight of him made her so confused - the hurt, the desire, the anger, the need. The cuffs chafed at her wrists again, and she wrenched against them…

And they started to give. Just a tiny bit, the smallest possible fraction, but it was enough to inspire her.

She looked at him, and a smirk crossed her face. “You want to help me? Fine. Stay right there.” And she strode towards the Captain, quick and purposeful. His eyes widened as she closed in, but, credit where it was due, he didn’t back away. One more step brought her within arm’s reach, she slipped past his outstretched hands, her shoulder brushed his arm, her bound wrists lightly touched his chest as she stretched herself up just a little, and she let her eyes fall closed as she closed in…

His lips were soft against her own. For half a second the rest of him stiffened in shock - then she felt him melting, his arms surrounded her and pulled her close into him. Passion was written in every line of his body. The kiss deepened, and one of his hands slid up her spine to stroke her hair, the other keeping its place in the small of her back, keeping their bodies pressed tightly together. She’d never felt him so strong before. Their kisses were volcanic now, gasping breaths in between, she could feel his heartbeat rising as hers did the same, and the emotions in her chest went from a muffled spark to a flame, a blaze, an inferno…

She broke the kiss, pushed him half a step away, and there was the popping, tearing, clinking sound of technology dying as finally, finally her cuffs gave way and fell to the floor in pieces.

Instantly, her powers surged back just as strong as they’d ever been. Blue light shone from her skin like a beacon, she floated into the air with a laugh, and stretched a hand up towards the ceiling. A little twist of her fingers was enough to drain it of energy, turning it to dust and a few pebbles that rained down past her. And beyond it…the sky. The stars.

A grin at the Captain, and she offered him her other hand. “Ready to go?”

He looked unsure, but then came that boyish smile, and he floated up to take her hand in his own. “Lead on!”

They soared up through the sky on twin pillars of light, azure and gold blending together behind them as if they had been invented for it. It was impossible to describe the sense of relief that filled her as they broke through the last traces of atmosphere. Free again at last!

But it seemed like nothing could be that easy. From behind a moon, a pair of sentry ships had locked onto them, and they were approaching fast, with their weapons powered-up. The one in front unleashed a barrage of laser shots, and in a flash Captain Cosmic was there, throwing up a golden shield that absorbed every single blast coming at them. The second ship opened fire from another angle, forcing him to bring up another shield to resist it. Galactra saw him wince as blast after blast landed on his constructs, and she could tell he wouldn’t be able to maintain them for much longer.

She pulled at his shoulder. “Come on, we have to get out of here!”

“You go! I’ll hold them here!”

“Are you joking?”

“Not a bit! It’s you they want, isn’t it? I’m sure they’ll-”

“They’ll kill you, idiot! I’m not going to let that happen!” She seized him by the scruff of his neck and hauled him upwards, just as another, more intense volley tore through the space where they had been. A heave threw him ahead of her, and they both took flight toward the system’s outer edge. The pair of ships were still tight on their tail, however, and getting closer by the second. Galactra glanced over her shoulder and sent a wild blast of energy crackling at the lead ship, and missed it by just the barest of margins.

The Captain shouted out to her: “Don’t go killing anyone, please! I helped you escape because I didn’t think you deserved the sort of punishment they wanted to give you. It would be awfully disappointing to have you prove me wrong this quickly!”

She whirled out of the way of a few more shots, and growled. “They don’t seem to share your restraint!”

“That’s what makes us so special. If being a superhero were easy, why, everyone would do it!” She shot him a sneer, and he laughed at her…and after a second or so, she found herself laughing too. After all, why not? They were strong, they were free, they were happy, and - she gave a sharklike grin - their enemies couldn’t hope to stop them.

Sharply, she dove down, then back toward the Naryan ships. Their shots blazed past her, overhead, as she blazed up and in between them, forcing them to stop firing her way as they retargeted. A fraction of a second’s flight and she was out the other side, behind them. She charged her power, gathering fistfuls of searing blue energy before unleashing it in a blistering spread of fire that hammered into their engines. Nothing exploded…but a couple of the engines flickered, one failed completely, and the ships slowed, drifted from their path. A quick nod to herself, and she took off again.

Hugh’s flight rejoined hers, and he was grinning from ear to ear. “You did it! That was wonderful!” His delight was written all over his face, and despite a handful of nagging doubts, joy was building in her heart too. They soared on without words, enjoying their own might and freedom. He spiralled around her, writing graceful artwork in the blackness; she mirrored him, then pushed harder, flew faster, making him work to keep up with her speed. They were so overcome with each other that they never saw the trap until it was too late.

They were somewhere in the dark, maybe two thirds of the way between Elanna Bos and the Vixudian asteroid field, when suddenly Hugh stopped flying and shouted, “Wait! Stop!”

She stopped, and whirled towards him, fists already balled and charging with power, half-expecting some ridiculous betrayal. But he wasn’t attacking - he was pointing. She followed the line of her finger, and her heart sank. From here, it barely looked like anything, just a glinting greyish dot, but she knew what it had to be. A Naryan dreadnaught, the biggest class of ship that the Unity had at its disposal. And once she’d spotted that one, her eyes searched the dark and found another, and another, and another. Ten massive ships, armed to the teeth and closing fast.

Galactra looked over to Captain Cosmic, in the hope that he might have some kind of plan. Unfortunately, she’d never in her life seen anyone look less in control of a situation. He’d called up his sword and shield and was scanning between the incoming starships, his face set in determination, but she could see the exhaustion running through him, the doubt. He was afraid.

He noticed her looking at him, and flashed a faux-confident grin. “Always good to have a proper final showdown, isn’t it?” A pause, and then: “I don’t suppose you have some sort of, ah, idea what we should do? Maybe even a plan?”

She looked around again at the incoming ships. They had firepower, and they had range, but they’d want to get in relatively close, to make sure of the kill. They still wouldn’t be close enough for her to fight them the way she had with the patrol, and too armoured to pick off from this distance. What she really needed was some way to overwhelm them, all at once…

Her eyes settled back on Hugh, and a thought occurred. It was a nasty kind of thought, one that twisted bitterly in her mind…but it would work.

“A plan? Yes, I have a plan.”

He looked nervous again. “I hope it doesn’t involve killing anyone?”

“No, but I still don’t think you’re going to like it.” She reached out, and grabbed his costume just below its collar, and pulled him in close. “One more for luck?”

This time, their kiss was soft, even gentle. She let her lips brush his once and twice, then slipped a hand around the back of his neck and held him there as her mouth ran lightly over his jawline and onto the side of his neck. He gasped softly in her ear when her other hand stroked up his back, reaching up to the firm, wide muscle of his shoulder. Distracted almost beyond words, he didn’t notice the energy drain until it was too late to fight it.

“Galactra?” His voice was still its usual clear tenor, but there was clearly an uncertainty there, one that was starting to lean towards panic. “What are you doing?”

“What I need to do. Hold still.” Her fingers stroked over his temple, and his eyes rolled back in his head, his energy and even his life draining away into her. She took and took and took from him, his struggles weakened…

She broke the contact, not knowing if she had what she needed but knowing she couldn’t take any more from him, not if she wanted him safe. One of her hands on the middle of his chest, one little shove, and he flew back perhaps a hundred metres. Not far - hopefully far enough.

The ships were closing in now, close enough that she could feel the power humming inside them, feel the weapons as they yearned to fire. She spared a moment and a thought for the Captain, to hope that he would be alright and to hope against hope that they would see each other again. And then there was no time left.

Her arms spread wide, her hands glowed, and as they grew brighter and brighter she filled them with all her power, everything of her own and everything she’d taken from the man she loved. She filled them with her passion, her need for him and her anger at the enemy who came between them, she gave them all the fear and hope and outrage and vengeance that boiled and fought inside her, and the light grew blinding, a blue so hot it was almost white, and it grew and grew and she started swinging them in towards each other and somewhere in the distance a ship’s Commander gave the order to fire at will-

Her fists met, and it was as if a typhoon had suddenly struck from that calm, dark sky. A sphere of azure lightning erupted and threw everything into chaos, and sending even her tumbling head over heels backwards, giving her only blurring glimpses of the dreadnaughts being thrown around like leaves, their systems failing, their few shots dissipating against the wild, raging cosmic torrents. She tumbled, helpless, powerless, until her body could no longer take it and a blackness behind her eyes closed in to blot out the stars.

Darkness swallowed her, and the last thing she saw was a tiny speck of red and gold, guarding itself with a flickering shield as it was battered back and forth, spiralling and whirling, one more boat against the raging storm.

When Hugh woke, there were stars in front of his eyes, and he was lying on something cold and hard.

He blinked a few times, and some of the stars cleared away, while others resolved themselves and made it clear that, yes, they were actual real stars and not just the remnants of yet another bout of unconsciousness. A few aches let him know that at least his limbs were all attached, and added that if he wanted it to stay that way he had better be a damn sight more careful in future. He acknowledged that advice with a grimace and the absolute knowledge that he would be ignoring it.

Since he couldn’t quite move just yet, he tried instead to remember where he was and what he was doing here. Whatever he was lying on felt rather uneven, natural rather than artificial, and it seemed like there were traces of a stony landscape at the very corners of his peripheral vision. An asteroid or a comet, then. But his last memories didn’t feature any such thing - he and Galactra had just been escaping from Elanna Bos, and…what had happened then? The details were vague, and while they seemed to be arranging themselves into some kind of sensible order, it was hard to be patient. He remembered some ships had attacked them, they had made an escape, and she had…drained his power? Had she turned on him? He frowned. That didn’t make any sense. And she had…she had kissed him again.

Now that was a distracting thought. The memory of her lips on his own, their arms intertwining, and all the while he had thought he might die any moment-

The rest of his memories flooded back - the trap, the dreadnoughts, the way he’d tried to figure out an escape and failed, and the way Galactra had tricked him, drained him…and saved him. Saved them both.

He sighed, ran a hand through his hair, and pulled himself upright. It wasn’t easy, every last muscle protested, but he told them he’d been lying around for far too long already, and they subsided to a discontented grumble. He scanned the starfield with his eyes, and tentatively reached out with his more esoteric senses. The attack ships were gone, recalled to whatever hangar they called home, and the background buzz had reduced to the level he’d felt earlier. But what he didn’t feel, couldn’t find anywhere at all, was the slightest trace of Galactra.

For a moment he wondered if they might have caught her, but he dismissed the idea as soon as it appeared. She’d been able to throw him clear, and to blast their attackers into chaos and confusion, and all that in a single massive attack. There was no way they would have caught up to her after that!

With that pleasant thought in mind, he pushed up and floated lightly into the void. Well, I haven’t been here long, but it seems I’m already persona non grata in these parts. I suppose that makes it time to travel on, doesn’t it? He gazed up at the scattered stars, and picked one of the brighter ones almost at random, then took off in that direction as fast as he could go. Who knows what new adventure I’ll stumble onto. Perhaps I might even meet Galactra there!

It was a warm, pleasant thought.

(Thanks for reading! If you liked this one, you can find the rest of my works on Ao3: SaneCharlie - Works | Archive of Our Own)

This was quite good. The Naryans feel very similar to the Nebari from Farscape, which I particularly enjoyed.

I’m glad you liked it! It’s funny you mention Farscape - it’s been a while since I last watched it, but there’s definitely a chance that it influenced my writing here.