DE Disparation: Guessing time! (Ha ha, time travel pun)

True, but Young Legacy already gives us the concept of a Legacy who deals damage personally rather than cheering on a team. And Grandpa Legacy does the “inspiring others to take significant action” thing. And F5 Legacy’s Overwatch could also have represented the more indirect form of inspiration that Joe 6 grants. Heck, we even have America’s Cleverest Legacy. How are they going to add anything to all this?

1 Like

Yeah, I would expect a Boldest Legacy variant to have some kind of power that reflects his personal mixture of front-line fighting and non-violent activism, supporting the “Legacy decks are punchy-support” blend.

My immediate gut, if I were going to do a Boldest Legacy variant with no playtesting, would be:

Mantle of Revolution: Legacy may deal 1 non-hero target 2 melee damage. If he does, one ally may draw a card.

Giving allies card draw is something Legacy can do a bit of, but having his punches literally inspire people and give them more options feels appropriate, and is a trick that both doesn’t step on existing Legacy variants and matches both Legacy’s deck and Joe’s backstory.

4 Likes

Yeah, worth remembering that none of either Paul’s powers actually reflect his Legacy abilities – those come on his Ongoings. His powers are the ways he inspires others to fight. So they could easily come up with a “different way to inspire” power. Or, for something totally radical, what if the front of the character card said:

Insert appropriate quote about fighting for justice
Reaction: America’s Boldest Legacy deals the attacker 2 melee damage

1 Like

Give him something to reflect Regeneration unique to his line.

Power: Redirect the next damage that would be dealt to a hero to this card, then that hero’s player draws one card and America’s Boldest Legacy regains 1 HP.

So he’s taking a bullet for Dr. King, helping in a non-violent way (like the Irish War for Independence), and recovering as only JP III and beyond can do.

4 Likes

I think those are both really cool powers (and an interesting reaction), but you’re both mixing up Hero and Hero character. FrivYeti’s should say “one other hero may draw a card” and Thunderbird’s uses EE terminology. It would get pretty messy with DE wording.

I was pretty sure “Hero” = “hero character card” while “hero target” = that plus anything with HP in a hero deck. Run it by the rules lawyers and I’m sure we can get a more concise version that meshes with DE.

Anyway, consider my vote cast for Boldest Legacy to appear in some form. If not a variant, at least in art somewhere or perhaps a new Mission Reward when we get back around to OblivAeon Redux.

1 Like

Yep, that’s your EE brain talking. In DE, heroes are people, not cards.

1 Like

The true heroes are the ones playing the game. (?)

after school special music plays :notes:

That’s why I leave the development to the pros. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

For Boldest Legacy, I was thinking of a power that went all in on his regeneration, something like:

Power: Legacy regains 2hp or you may salvage an Ongoing card.

(maybe make it Ongoing, Limited card so you can’t spam Heroic Interception or Take Down)

4 Likes

I think the cleanest way to do this would be:

Power: Until your Start Phase, the next time an ally character would be dealt damage, redirect that damage to America’s Boldest Legacy and the associated Hero may draw 1 card. After damage is redirected this way, America’s Boldest Legacy regains 1 HP.

One of the biggest issues is DE doesn’t really have “next time” effects. Those sort of things require you to track whether or not they have happened yet, which is a bit of a hassle. I also feel like “associated” is an underutilized word - it only shows up twice in the core box (Frost’s Cryo Chamber and The Crucible)! But it’s so useful.

This makes me really wonder how they’re going to clarify what Heroic Infinitor is in DE… because he’s a bit of a mess (Hero Target, not Hero character card. Villain character card, not Villain target).

1 Like

To a degree you’ve already got that with Bystanders in the previewed Spite deck and in the core set with stuff like Police Backup/Local Legal Expert. I imagine on a character card you’ll just see a line about this counts as a Hero target.

2 Likes

“Heroic Infinitor is a Hero target… but not a Hero character card. And he’s not a Villain target. Except on weekends, and holidays, and all throughout May…”

1 Like

More than a hassle, it was pretty much one of the big selling points when they created DE originally, that there were no longer going to be any “invisible” floating effects that lasted for a time after being activated, and required tokens to track or the like. I don’t know how things like Stun Bolt are handled now, but I do remember Christopher saying it was “stupid” that Hypersonic Assault required you to remember that it had been played earlier in the round when it was no longer on the table, and that from now on all such effects needed to be ongoing cards with static effects and a start of turn destruction trigger. So the only way an effect like this proposed Joe 6 power could work is by building a whole new deck for him.

Grassroots Activism - Ongoing, Interventionism
Play this card next to a Hero Target. When that target would be dealt damage by a nonhero target, redirect that damage to America’s Boldest Legacy. If he takes damage this way, he regains 1 HP. Then destroy this card.

America’s Boldest Legacy - 28 HP
Liberator Power - One hero may draw a card. Discover one Interventionism and play it next to that hero.

Or when he has a double fizzbin already.

So, in the latest Editor’s Note, Christopher gave us a little preview by saying the name of one card from each of the seven hero decks in Disparation, those cards being:

• Justify the Means
  • Systems Iteration
  • Take Out the Trash
  • Forget What You Saw
  • Reprioritize
  • Optimized Efficiency
  • Enthrall

So, why are there 7 hero decks but only 6 heroes? And who do you think each card belongs to? I’ll put my guesses below.

1 Like

Well, I said elsewhere that I think the 7 decks and 6 heroes thing means that at least one deck is some kind of mini-deck or some other gimmick for Young Legacy. I can see her as some kind of… super variant (pun unintended) where some cards are swapped out, not just the hero card.

My guesses, in order:
Darkstrife and Painstake
Benchmark
Young Legacy
Visionary
Omnitron X
Parse
…and that last one I’m not sure. Can see it being D&P or Visionary. In which case the other is… Chrono Ranger? Maybe?

1 Like

For card guesses:

• Forget What You Saw and Systems Iteration are the ones I feel most confident about, going to Visionary and Omnitron-X respectively.
  • Optimized Efficiency sounds like a Parse card to me.
  • We know Chrono Ranger is in here, but I’m not confident on which card is his between Justify the Means and Reprioritize.
  • Take Out the Trash really sounds like a Mainstay card to me, but it’s generic enough I could see it going to many heroes.
  • Enthrall is a dark power, so I could see it going to Darkstrife + Painstake, or maybe Writhe or Visionary?

For the 7th deck:

• It could be a heroic duo with a deck for each, most likely Darkstrife and Painstake.
  • It could be a special variant that also adds unique cards, like some weird Disparation version of another hero.
  • It could be part of a Villain, Critical event or Environment; an additional, autonomous hero that aids you but might need protection.
  • It could also just be a Side Deck for a hero that gets called on in specific circumstances. Like if the SW Sentinels had a Signature Deck containing all the cards that required a specific member to be active, and the main deck had cards that let you draw or collect form the Sig Deck. Or if Visionary had a Dark Visionary deck that played bad cards when she strains herself too much. Or just a side deck belonging to a new hero that could do any number of unknown things.

I’ve said in a couple places that the side deck idea would work well with Young Legacy and certain other variants. With the more precise accounting for the cards (on the hero divider cards in the box, and all), I can see instructions of “remove A, B, and C from the hero deck and insert X, Y, Z” for that sort of thing. Young Legacy is my main theory, but you mentioned SW Sentinels, so that might be how Void Guard is handled.

I think the best idea I’ve heard about what the 7th deck could be is a Chrono-Ranger Bounty deck. (I believe I first saw it by UnheardGrace in the Realm of Discord)

Which would make 2 cards for CR make a lot of sense… But “Take out the Trash” would also be a cool Bounty card.

1 Like

I will likely be displeased if this is anything other than Darkstryfe and Painstake. IMO side decks are generally a bad idea; I wasn’t impressed by the handling of DE Operative, and even EE Kaargra Warfang, while I like her overall, the Title Deck being handled the way it was wasn’t the best approach to me.

I’m curious, what about DE Operative rubs you the wrong way?