Definitive Edition: 1st Appearance Variants Discussion (Spoilers)

What are your guy’s thoughts on the different 1st Appearance Variants? Any that you think are considerably better or worse than the base card? Any that make you play the character in a totally different way, or are just fun to use? How do they compare to other variants of the heroes in the previous version of the game?

My thoughts on the ones I’ve played enough to get a good feel for:

• 1A!Tachyon is stronger than her base variant, I feel. Both of them can help her draw when needed, but if she’s good on cards, 1A!Tachyon can let her friends draw and play more cards (which will probably be one-shots to fill her trash) while Base Tachy just discards cards to her trash without getting the effects of playing them. However, 1A!Tachyon doesn’t completely overshadow her base card, nor is it better than Research Grant, which makes it more balanced than all her variants in the previous game.
  • 1A!Ra is also stronger than his base, I feel, trading 1 damage and 1 hp for either an extra play or a salvage is very much worth it in my opinion. It means you can potentially have Ra’s powerful but costly ongoings like Solar Flare or Blazing Tornado up every other turn without paying the penalty, or just recover if the villain destroys your stuff. This variant is very fun.
  • 1A!Unity is very freeing. This is her first variant whose power is useful all the time, not requiring you to destroy things or hurt yourself or have stuff in your trash, so its very good if you have teammates giving out more power uses. Though it’s obviously less reliable at getting bots out than her other variants, and Unity has plenty of cards she could top-deck that do nothing if she has no bots out. Still, that gamble is pretty thrilling.

I specifically love FA Unity, and ironically hate that the card art makes it look like a Haka variant. I mean, I get it, but still. :B

Meanwhile, FA Wraith is my favorite piece of art in the game so far. :smiley: Possibly in both games.

Also, I think FA Argent Adept is really good, and I like how FA Legacy changes up how the team plays.

4 Likes

I’m mostly just here to say that Argent’s dweeby 70s page boy haircut is a gift to the world.

3 Likes

Captain Cosmic’s First Appearance variant is also great!

I’ve been debating on his. So many of his cards are so useful now, I’m often torn between his FA and his Base version, which just plays a random card.

Yeah. Not necessarily saying I think his FA version is better than his regular version (I do still like his base version), just that I really like FA Captain Cosmic as a different way to play him. You can bring FA CC if you want to bring another damage dealer who is also quite good at support.

1 Like

It’s also really a useful tool to have Captain Cosmic able to deal melee damage. Otherwise, he’s strictly energy, and some villains have a counter based on damage type. Like, I brought him to the Wayward Sun event, and he got to really lay the smackdown on Citizen Dawn instead of just dealing with Citizens!

2 Likes

Scion Empyreon Stage 2 says hi.