Definitive Edition: Hooray Post! [Topic Split]

Since the other post has started to trend in an acrimonious direction, I hereby declare Alternate Timelines! All posts in favor of the Definitive Edition go here. All post's opposed, go to the other one. Begin!

I for one am looking forward to the DE. Updated rules clarifications!

The Scenarios/missions are intriguing. Maybe we'll finally get the Rook City heroes updated a bit.

But... see boo thread.

One cool thing they are doing is that conversion guide, so you don't need to wait to try out playing as your favorite hero in the new rule setting and can try them out right away. And if you like the way and old one played more bring it forward, so thats neat.

Also the chance to finally do a father/daughter legacy team up, thats neat.

Cult of Gloom: "Also the chance to finally do a father/daughter legacy team up, thats neat."

Wait, what? I haven't been following the reveals very closely, so I was unaware that this is going to be a thing. How's that going to happen? Is it just the fact that one has two Legacy decks, or are there actual rules to support this?

Well, if they have conversion rules for running the old decks in the new system then in theory you could do legacy's old deck and legacy's new deck in the same game. In theory

I'm excited about it, personally, since the changes so far seem to address long-standing issues I've seen people have about the game.

It addresses Adam's long-standing unhappiness with his art, which I've also seen be a sticking point for people not already invested in Sentinels.

It also addresses many issues people have had with balancing in the game, ranging from making characters and cards often perceived as weak stronger, to making overly punishing earlier villains more in line with later villains. I'll be interested to see how they address villains like Miss Information and Spite who are currently heavily disliked by the fanbase or heroes like Expat that are currently often viewed as universally weak.

There's also meta things like repackaging the game into six expansions from the current situation of a multitude of individual products that often have people confusedly asking on Reddit what they need to buy to actually have everything.

Then there's the addition of new content like the new First Appearance variants and the scenarios.

My reasons for being unsure are purely personal logistics (mostly lack of closet space and lack of offline people to play with even before the pandemic), not because I'm not excited by the content, because I am excited.

I'm looking forward to this! :D 

During playtesting, we got a good look at what's coming. My spouse literally won't play some heroes (e.g., Fanatic) until Definitive Edition is available, because they are just so much more fun, better balanced, and more interesting thematically!

While I don't like the 90s-style art (which isn't a surprise, since I didn't like it then, either ;-) I _love_ the rest of it! Adam truly outdid himself with it!!! 

I joked a long time ago that I didn't sleeve my SotM cards because I knew there would be a new version coming, eventually, Even after playing bi-weekly for nearly ten years, my cards are still in pretty decent shape -- but it's still going to be worth the expense to buy the new version. And while it's coming out, we'll still be able to play the old one! :-D 

(One thing I love about the current game is how different heroes appeal to different types of players, and that not every hero is going to appeal to everyone. I hope that doesn't change and will be providing my feedback to help mitigate that risk.)

"During playtesting, we got a good look at what's coming. My spouse literally won't play some heroes (e.g., Fanatic) until Definitive Edition is available, because they are just so much more fun, better balanced, and more interesting thematically!"

"I'll be interested to see how they address villains like Miss Information and Spite who are currently heavily disliked by the fanbase or heroes like Expat that are currently often viewed as universally weak."

These were exactly my thought when I heard that. I was overjoyed. I love Sentinels, but there's some part of it that really showed their age in terms of old heroes vs. new heroes and villain design. I love Sentinels, but when I play with casual friends, I find we end up skipping a large quantity of the villains all the time and some heroes literally never get picked. I always wanted a second edition and was really disappointed Oblivaeon was "the end" with no hope of erratas or re-releases.

There's a lot of stuff just from the Letters Page that I was hype to hear, and all the playtesters seem to have really positive experiences, so I'm all aboard. Especially hearing how excited Christopher and Adam are about it, it feels much more like a project they truly wanted and enjoyed than any raw attempt to grab money.

1 Like

I think the change from "Equipment" to "Item" is a good move. "Item" has better connotations and nuances.

1 Like

Alright, just decided to join the forums after poking around a bit. Put me down for Yay!, as this seems like a good jumping-on point for the physical game. I’ve had the video game since sometime in 2018 (pre-OblivAeon, IIRC). Have spent many hours in the single player mode of that, and I think my tabletop RPG group (we’re primarily Pathfinder, dabbled in Mage and Mutants & Masterminds) would enjoy SotM when we start meeting back in person. Hopefully later in 2021…

5 Likes

Welcome to the forums!

1 Like

Thanks! Got interested enough in lore, etc. to start listening to the Letters Page from the beginning a couple months ago (up to GenCon 2018 now). Then I saw the DE announcement and thought what the heck, maybe it’s time to get this and try it out as a multiplayer experience! Looking forward to see what all gets tweaked as more content is released. First time ever to back a Kickstarter…

4 Likes

One of us! One of us! :smiley: (Glad to have you here, Thunderbird. :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Something I was thinking about: I know the original intention behind the card game was to be “story Legos,” and that there was an overall story tying things together, but until playing OblivAeon games I never really felt the game lived up to that idea. Sure, The Letters Page was around for some time before the OblivAeon release and gave us many of the major story beats, but that never really shows up on the game table unless you set up a particular Villain-Environment-Heroes game. And even then, it’s still just…a normal game of Sentinels, and it doesn’t tie in to anything else happening in the game. Nor does that game proceed in any special way; it’s still random from the various decks.

So, I think it’s going to be great to have the Events actually tied in to the game, and to have Rewards for the events to keep players invested in them. That was one of the best additions to the game of OblivAeon mode, so it’ll be extremely cool to have it expanded!

7 Likes

Hooray! I’ve watched some of the videos about the Definitive Edition, and it looks pretty awesome. Did I spend a bunch of money on cards that I’m going to replace with these new cards? Well, yes, but that’s a sunk cost and I’ve already gotten enough joy out of those cards to justify the purchases. I look forward to new and even better adventures!

6 Likes

Welcome to the Forums, @GooeyChewie!

2 Likes

That is so accurate! :smiley:

Glad to have you join us, GooeyChewie!

4 Likes

We bought our first SotM expansion mere weeks after getting the EE core set, and the calculus I did was, “We see a lot of movies, for ~$30 for two tickets. Is this game worth a night at the movies?” In those terms, very quickly the answer became “yes,” especially since we didn’t have to throw the game out after a couple nights of play. I’d say the entirety of EE-and-beyond SotM content has been well worth what I already spent, and I think the Definitive Edition is worth another two movie nights of fun!!!

7 Likes

That’s how I do ‘entertainment budget’ math as well :slight_smile:

For me I never bought the original since I have friends who have it but after the release of the RPG (which I love) I dove into the Letters Page and was debating picking up the game. Then I saw the kickstarter for this and said “well, there we go”.

And I absolutely love the updated art with the different eras!!

2 Likes