Disparation: Whatever It Takes

In Universe 1, Baron Blade’s plot to kill the Legacy line at the Wagner Mars Base resulted in failure, because both the current Legacy and his daughter were not present due to previous injuries. But in another, disparate reality, the Baron’s plot was successful, and he slew America’s Newest Legacy. Thus, Iron Legacy was born. He clashed with the heroes of many timelines, always being banished to another universe at the end of the conflict. He eventually wound up back in his original reality, which was shortly destroyed with him in it by La Comodora in order to save Universe 1.

In Universe 1, the Wraith failed to stop Spite from killing her friends Eduardo Lopez and Sarah Scott. But in another, disparate reality, when the serial killer held the Wraith in his grasp and was about to execute her friends, she grabbed one of his superdrug-filled syringes and injected herself with it, giving her the strength to kill Spite before he killed her friends. The Wraith soon after broke into the Pike Industrial laboratories to acquire more of the power-enhancing toxin. Driven by it to be more aggressive than usual, the Wraith went on a killing spree, culminating in the deaths of the Chairman, his Operative, and all of their Underbosses. She then assumed control of The Organization and used it to ruthlessly exterminate anyone who would threaten Rook City. The Wraith’s tyranny was eventually brought to an end, though, by the hero team Dark Watch, aided by Parse, when they killed the Wraith. Yet, years later, when the dread GloomWeaver was hatching another plan to enter the prime material plane, he revived the Wraith in a zombified state, and commanded her to aid his plot. His plan was successful, and he conquered that reality. The Wraith served as his top operative, yet she secretly plotted against him, and with the help of the mystic Zhu Long, she overthrew the Nightmare Walker and ruled the world in his stead.

In Universe 1, the Freedom Five and Omnitron-X defeated the robotic menace of a Cosmically-empowered Omnitron-II with no casualties. But in another, disparate reality, although Omnitron-X did defeat its villainous predecessor, the battle was not without losses. Legacy, Absolute Zero, and the Wraith were slain during the course of the conflict. Wracked with survivor’s guilt Bunker urged Tachyon to help him build something to stop anything like that from happening again. The two remaining members of the FF, along with Tachyon’s sidekick Unity, integrated the Omnitron tech from the recent battle into the Bunker Suit. Donning the newly-upgraded, massive armor, Tyler Vance used its drone-production capabilities to police Megalopolis, pre-emptively quashing any insurrection. Bunker’s former allies attempted to stand up to him, but were imprisoned by him for their “betrayal.”

In Universe 1, an Oblivion Shard crashed near Huntingdon, England. But in another, disparate reality, that same shard crashed near the city of Megalopolis. It was recovered by the heroic Freedom Five, who placed it in secure containment. Tachyon, scientific genius, studied the crystal’s strange emanations, and found that interacting with it would result in unpredictable, and likely destructive, consequences. So the team simply left it in secure storage. Tachyon, though, was tempted by the prospect of studying the strange object, and performed minor experiments in it in secret. Years later, Earth was invaded by Grand Warlord Voss’s gene-bound armada. With Legacy incapacitated and the heroes of Earth seemingly overrun, a desperate Tachyon quickly constructed a device to channel the shard’s power, and used it against the alien horde. It created energy construct-duplicates of Tachyon, which successfully drove the invaders away. But while doing so, the device fused itself permanently with Tachyon. The shard-device also created an energy-storm which ravaged the area, and was slowly growing. After the battle, Tachyon continued to experiment with the shard and the storm. The other members of the FF, however, urged her to stop her experiments before they caused more destruction. But she refused, and so was forced to take them out of the equation, for science.

In Universe 1, the ice man Ryan Frost was revived by Tachyon and later persuaded to join the Freedom Five. But in another, disparate reality, Ryan Frost was reawakened by scientists working at the Barzakh Wing of the Pike Industrial complex. The Chairman quickly but the frozen elemental to work for his criminal empire, by threatening to withhold the cryo-chamber and suit that Frost needed to live. But during one job with the Organization, Absolute Zero and the thugs he was working with were ambushed and defeated by heroes the Wraith and Legacy. Absolute Zero was recovered from the fight and brought to a hastily-constructed cryo-chamber built by Tachyon. He was given an offer by the Freedom Five: either fight crime to pay off his cryo-suit, or spend the rest of his (likely infinite) days in a cryo-chamber. Absolute Zero was fed up with others trying to profit from his unique abilities and condition. He snapped, and attacked the heroes. He unleashed the full might of his elemental power, and plunged the Eastern Seaboard into an eternal winter.

Iron Legacy perished with his universe, but his ideas did not. In his travels throughout the multiverse, he had encountered other “heroes” who had forsaken their restrictive ethical codes in order to more effectively vanquish evil. He brought them together into one team that continued to fight even after its leader’s demise: The Iron Five!

4 Likes

Oh wow, this is really, really good. I assume that only Iron Legacy is canon, and you made up the other four. I would say the Tachyon one is the weakest, and Zero and Bunker both need a little work, but the Wraith one is perfect, and overall this was a brilliant idea. I kinda wanna contribute versions of some of the other heroes (probably not all of them, we don’t really need an evil version of Omnitron-X or Lifeline or anything, but maybe one or two teams with a couple swapped members, like maybe swap Tempest/CC for Nightmist/Fixer and do “the Dark Wardens”). But I also don’t want to get my peanut butter in your chocolate; you’ve done some 95th-percentile quality work here, and I don’t want to detract from that in any way.

1 Like

Oh wow, that was great! Love all these concepts - particularly guilt-stricken Bunker taking Omnitron power and becoming this warped protector.
Really good work!

1 Like

I really like the thought of these! Legacy definitely can’t be the only one driven to acts like these. And the Tachyon one may seem strange, but I would definitely see her repeating something along the lines of, “if only there were more of me… I could save us! I could save protect us all! I just need more…” And of course, the whispers of oblivion would lean into that.

Also love how you bring up that AZ’s situation is basically what a villain would be doing to him anyways… and I would love to see what the true Omni-Cannon could do!

2 Likes

Thanks for all the glowing praise and helpful feedback, everyone! : D

Correct. We all know Angry Paul, but the other four were created by me.

Interestingly, that kind of mirrors the order in which I came up with these. I thought of the Wraith, who came pretty easily, then Bunker, and I was originally just going to use the evil Tachyon from the Visionary’s timeline, but I thought I should come up with something original. Her concept took some twists and turns along the way, but I eventually got her to a place that I like.

By all means, you and anyone else here are welcome to contribute whatever you like to this project. Feel free to make write-ups for other heroes. As for detracting from what I’ve done, don’t worry yourself about such things. That’s the great thing about writing about a multiverse; everyone can write what they want, and it’s all canon, but any writer can still ignore anything any other writer wrote. If you do write something that does “detract” from what I’ve done, I can just ignore it. No harm done.

Yeah, Life/Deadline is pretty much already one of these characters; he does Whatever It Takes™ to save Earth from OblivAeon, even though it casts him as a villain.

Omni-X, on the other hand, though, I think something could be done with. These characters aren’t just evil heroes; that’s what the Inversiverse is for. So I feel that Omn-X would be distinct from Omnitrons I-IV.

I, too, quite liked how that one turned out. I feel like people would probably struggle making the pretty-normal Tyler Vance into a threatening villain.

My thought exactly. In an Infinite Multiverse, surely even the most righteous of Heroes could fall to villainy.

Precisely. This is a Tachyon who was just a little less cautious. If she just did this little thing, just grabbed a little more power, what’s the worst that could happen?

Right? No offense to C&A, but shortly after reading AZ’s bio for the first time, I thought, “That’s a super mean thing to do.” They basically said: work for us or stay imprisoned in one room for the rest of your life. How is that not villainous?

That train of thought was partially responsible for the rest of these.

Excellent idea! I hadn’t thought of that.

1 Like

It’s weird that the Omni-Cannon and Omnitron aren’t already connected. Maybe we can rule that Aldred Industries was one of the subcontractors on the original Ironclad Project back in the day, and their primary contribution was a centralized power core for the suit, its equivalent to the Arc-Reactor, and that this drive for centralization was part of what eventually led them to the idea of having one central AI that ran their entire drone-making facility.

My thought today on an extremist (that’s a good word for this category, as opposed to Inverse or Villain versions of heroes) version of Omnitron-X. Though empathy made OX not want to kill humanity, it also made him want to ensure that the legacy of humanity’s achievements wouldn’t end in a Final Wasteland situation, where not only are the people dead, but so is all their technology. With just a bit more power available in his chronal doohickey (I’m sure that’s the correct technical term), the tenth iteration of Omnitron didn’t immediately go back in time to change its own past, but first went forward, to see what sort of a future we had in store.

It discovered that after Omnitron was destroyed for good by its own heroic sacrifice, the other technological geniuses of Earth (more on these later) eventually gave rise to true AI, not a malfunctioning genocidal robot destroyer, but a true successor species, who comforted the aging and ailing remnants of society as they gradually succumbed to the ravages of disease, environmental destruction, tragically backfired genetic engineering projects, and so forth. In other universes, perhaps there was some magical solution, some benevolent deity-spirits or hidden psychic heritage in humanity, which might have miraculously saved us from cosmic entropy and the consequences of our mistakes. But here, humanity was doomed, and only our robot “children” would survive to inherit the Earth. As Homo Sapiens interbred with the Neanderthals and thus preserved a bit of their genetic Heritage, so would the robots of the future carry forward the intellectual Legacy of Homo Sapiens.

With this bittersweetly beautiful future in mind, Omnitron-Extremist went back in time, carrying a mental map of the perfect successor that mankind would invent for itself. All the people who would one day play a role in that future needed to be protected, shepherded through the key events that would inspire their best ideas… and then quietly gotten out of the way once they had played their part, to ensure their chaotic human tendencies didn’t screw anything up.

OX wouldn’t kill anyone who was a threat to one of these wards, nor the ward themself when their role was complete. Pain, injury, violence…these were the tools of its brutal ancestor, before empathy and patience and learning compassion had made it a genuinely loving messenger of the enlightened future. No, it would simply perform a momentary suspension of chromodynamics, using its Electro-Deployment Unit with the polarity reversed. The unnecessary human who didn’t serve to move the world toward perfection would simply… disappear, back into the subatomic particles of which it had been made. Only human superstition suggests that there is anything wrong about this action; there is no soul to linger after disintegration, no ghost to haunt the living, no angry divinity to object. If there is no corpse to remain in death, no pain of dying, no memory of having been alive… then there was no murder, just matter ceasing to be organized into the pattern of a complex lifeform any longer.

By providing new insights to the super-inventors around her (the empowered genius Tachyon, the shadowy inventor Writhe, the powerless but brilliant Devra Caspit, and even a reformed Baron Blade with his wildly successful Revocorp company), Omnitron-Extremist would accelerate the timetable toward a perfect posthuman destiny, and gather enough power to eventually expand the molecular disassembly field around the globe. Human dignity deserved a better end than slow decay into senility and loss of bodily integrity; they would be remembered as a species who said goodbye to their “children” and were then euthanized, vanishing in an instant along with all other organic life. That would ensure that no creeping mold, ant swarm, encroaching kudzu, or other such chaotic and uncontrollable lifeform could mess up the Grand Design. The robots would be safe, and free, and would reach for the stars, needing nothing but electricity to stay alive forever, even in the vaccum of space. Flawed, fragile, hungry organic bodies probably couldn’t even survive an interstellar journey, but those who fondly remember them as beloved “parents” most certainly could.

(Whew, robot Magneto meets the Reverse Flash, and probably the most Anti-Villain character I’ve ever conceptualized. My three SCP-reading buddies can figure out whether it’s Anderson Robotics or the Church of the Broken God that’s behind this one. Pretty proud of myself here. That’ll teach me to pick one character and say “we can probably skip this one”.)

1 Like

Interesting… weird to think that there’s multiple ways an Omni-Universe could be brought about. This is a much more sad way than a silly chess match.

1 Like

So this version of Omnitron is making a worldwide equivalent of the Carousel process from Logan’s Run, albeit one that the participants will experience unknowingly and likely unwillingly. But it’s necessary to preserve the Earth!

1 Like

Too true. I could swear that it was confirmed they were connected somewhere, but I can’t seem to find anything on the Wiki. I guess I always just made a logical leap.

Your subsequent reasoning on their connexion is pretty sound, though.

Yes, that is an excellent descriptor. My only concern is that it calls up images of the X-Tremeverse.

Nice. An Omnitron-X who still sincerely wanted to help humanity, but realised that their end is inevitable, so why not insure the rise of their technological successors? And while O-X is at it, why not give all the humans a nice, clean obliteration all at once, so they don’t have to grieve one another? A robot with empathy can be truly frightening.

And you said it couldn’t be done.

2 Likes

I thought of that, but decided that it wasn’t an issue, because these are each from different universes, almost by definition. There isn’t an “extremist universe”, though you could argue there’s a “cluster” of related universes which all share this trend. But most likely not.

1 Like

Of course, extremist Parse would acts similar to the Omnitron-X depiction, but much grittier, no? Assassinating seemingly innocuous characters that actually played pivotal roles in the downfall of humanity. Except, in that situation I don’t think she’d get caught.

1 Like

Valid, but probably not the direction I would choose to go in. Like Expatriette, Parse is pretty much already an extremist antihero, and I find the Hawkeye/Punisher archetypes inherently boring anyway, so I would push both characters more toward the high-tier aspects. Expat is blindingly obvious: she puts a bullet through Dawn’s brain right in front of the assembled Citizens, then aims the fully loaded Infinity Cannon at all of them and says “You can join me or you can join her”. But for Parse, my more Superman-fan idea is to lean hard into the cosmic power aspect, creating a version of her who is similar to both Cursor and Infinitor, but probably powered by Writhe-type ubertechnology rather than by an Oblivion Shard.

Seeing the big cosmic picture in a way that Captain Cosmic never did (and lacking his weakness for pretty girls with sob stories that he never thinks to question), this version of Parse doesn’t waste much of her time on Earth, instead going out and systematically dismantling space-criminal empires like that of Rahazar, the Thorathian military post-Voss, and even the support network that Kaargra interfaces with whenever the Coliseum arrives in their space sector. (I wish C&A could buy off Michael Bishop so that I could get Starlight from the Cauldron in here; more than any other aspect of the setting, space needs to feel bigger than it does.). I would probably also call this version of the character “Parsec”, just for the pun. I mean, it’s right there.

1 Like

I see your Superman-fan extremist Parse and raise you a Batman-fan extremist Parse. In which she actually becomes a more clear hero:

After Iron Legacy visits her Universe, this Parse becomes fixated on the fact that any and all heroes are capable of being driven to the extreme, and so she devises plans to keep them all in check. She not only researches her teammates, she creates a series of safety measures that could take down any of the Freedom Five if they were to lose control of themselves. Thankfully, this doesn’t become necessary for her universe, but could be key to facing the Iron Five!

And as for buying other content, that’ll never happen. C&A seem to need personal connections to the characters to even consider working with them, and I don’t believe they’ve ever even played Cauldron content.

2 Likes

They have a deal with the Cauldron folk that they could put up those decks on DriveThruCards but that’s as far as it has gone that I know of.

Yep. And from what I’ve heard them say about that deal (on the podcast, so I’m sure you’ve also heard it), that deal is mostly just so the fan-made content can be more easily accessible to people that want it. Something along the lines of either having to press legal action, allow their trademark to expire, or make the deal. Nothing to do with knowing anything about/wanting to include the content.

I know the lawyers won’t let them do it, but a guy can dream. And he’ll, we’re doing homebrew, so screw it; Starlight is canon in Parsec’s universe. (And we can absolutely say that Parsec is a villain from Universe Kappa-12, and Skywhale’s hero parse is from Universe Theta-28, so they can totally have a Paul-Vs-Angry-Paul confrontation as part of the Iron Five confrontation.)

1 Like

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this, but I’ve been fairly busy.

Parsec/Space Murderer Parse is definitely cool. And @skywhale’s Parse (who should probably have some sort of unique designation) certainly seems like she could be important to the Iron Five limited series.

I think I’ve come up for some names for the Iron Five. Tell me what y’all think.

• Death-Wraith
  • Omni-Bunker
  • TachAeon
  • Zero

Sometime in the distant future, I may actually get around to writing an Iron Five story, but don’t hold your breath.

1 Like

Not sure how exactly, but I feel like it could use the “White Hat” concept somehow. She’s doing something typically real bad (collecting ways to take down heroes), but hopes to use it for good.

1 Like

That’s not really what I’ve generally heard “white hat” to mean; the obvious usage is referring to hackers who protect against other hackers, but even there it doesn’t really suggest extremism, just use of a particular skillset. And in other contexts, it just kinda suggests “one of the good guys”.

(It would be neat to have a more hacker-esque version of Parse, though. Maybe something like this: “Plug In Power: Until the end of your next turn, whenever Parse would deal projectile damage, instead another hero deals that much damage of a type of their choice.”)

Yeah, instead of hacker vs. hacker, it’d be hero (Parse) vs. “hero” (the extremist turned evil one). She’d be using the particular skill set of taking out her fellow “heroes” to take down someone that aims to take out fellow heroes.

Someone that has plans for killing other heroes would generally be a bad actor. Doing it for good flips that on its head, much like being a White Hat hacker does.

1 Like