Editor’s Note #59

A more typical editors note. Some good for radio bits done by Christopher in this one so watch the video if you’re part of the patreon

Upcoming schedule:

• Tuesday, October 4th: Episode #226: Writers’ Room: NightMist and Alpha vs The Court of Blood
  • Tuesday, October 11th: Episode #227: Writers’ Room: Tome of the Bizarre Vol. 3 #11
  • Tuesday, October 18th: Editor’s Note #60
  • Tuesday, October 25th: Episode #228: Writers’ Room: Writers’ Room: The Story Christopher and Adam Mention Wanting To Tell in Editor’s Note #49

Recording schedule:

• Friday, September 30th: Episode #226: Writers’ Room: NightMist and Alpha vs The Court of Blood
  • Friday, October 7th: Episode #227: Writers’ Room: Tome of the Bizarre Vol. 3 #11
  • Friday, October 14th: Editor’s Note #60
  • Friday, October 21st: Episode #228: Writers’ Room: Writers’ Room: The Story Christopher and Adam Mention Wanting To Tell in Editor’s Note #49
3 Likes

So Adam’s hips don’t lie and, boy, he’s starting to feel it.

I need to go listen to EN 49 after this!

wagermasterpointingspidermen.jpg

If your peanut butter is grey, it’s time to get new peanut butter. c.c

I dig Forgotten Wizard’s low-key MST3K reference there. :smiley:

Christopher can pronounce many words he did not make up, as long as they are not “profitable”.

I hope Alpha and the dark twins weren’t in Cosmic Contest because they were too busy having an Xtreme post-90’s two-on-one or something. Alpha, two thousand! Guitar noises!

That Balarian laughter just makes me think they’re going to Candy Mountain…

The schmildren! XD

Gosh, when Christopher talks about dancing with the goat, I would never have guessed it had a deep personal meaning! :open_mouth:

EDIT: So after going back to Editor’s Note #49, the story they wanted to tell was one they had tried multiple times to put into the topic voting under different headings, but that never got any votes. They give zero hints what that story might be about, but it looks like the time has indeed come, just about exactly a year later! (EN49 aired October 21st of last year.)

2 Likes

Enigmatic!

Any idea what TotB v3#11 is? I had a flick through the Rook City Renegades Kickstarter to see if it’s something referenced, but couldn’t find anything- I assume this is a Critical Event or something in the art.

All the episodes involve werewolves, but they aren’t all central to the stories or involve Alpha…

Maybe it’s the Werewolf Haka story? I don’t think they’ve gone into detail yet on how it happened or how he was eventually cured. Plus Haka is a common feature in TotB.

2 Likes

I seem to remember them responding to one of my questions that he didn’t need to be cured because the lycanthropy never really “took”, maybe due to his nigh-immortality.

3 Likes

Well, #9 is the Haunted Fanatic Christmas Carol issue: The Letters Page: Episode #131 - Writers' Room: Tome of the Bizarre Vol. 3 Issue #9

1 Like

Brace for a spooky shipping story in February '89!

I don’t know if Tome was just monthly at that point or what…

In my mind, their back and forth boiled down to “Jansa had weird standards.”

2 Likes

I think the big difference between the Spider-man spider-totem retcon and the Legacy Wellspring retcon is that there was never any confusion over Legacy being born to his power. It’s an innate part of his story that the power is passed from father to son, as much as Superman being from another planet. The retcon may change how that chain got started and its ultimate goal, but it doesn’t impact the character as we know him. He was always, in a sense, destined for his power by being the firstborn of his line.

By contrast, a core element of Spider-man’s story is that it could have been anyone. He didn’t gain power by being chosen like Steve Rogers or Thor. He didn’t work to gain his power through skill and talent, like Tony Stark or Clint Barton. He didn’t even make a risky decision that had unforeseen consequences, like Bruce Banner. His powers came to him by random chance, and he had to decide what to do with it. Removing that, making him a destined Chosen One, twists one of the central pillars of his story.

8 Likes

It was mentioned that the contents of that issue is a spoiler in the Darkstrife & Painstake episode, no other context provided.

3 Likes

Yeah - I feel like the new origin of Legacy’s powers is basically on the same tier as the retcon that mutant powers were the result of the Celestials interfering with human development a million years ago. It adds a new layer to the distant backstory of the characters, it ties into a broader and slightly more well-defined multiverse than when the characters were created, but it doesn’t actually change anything in the present and no one cares that much about it.

3 Likes