Ep 43 of The Letters Page discussion- Urban Environments

What a great foundation for a discussion.

You can listen to this urban exploration here

Some of them crumble so I don’t know it’s too steady of a foundation. 

I have to say, "It's not like he can see what's on the hat," had me laughing hard, to the point my dog was staring confused at me.

So turns out I was right and in the Sentinels universe I would pretty much live next door to Megalopolis. Man, that's so much more awesome than real life, you don't even know.

In general this was admittedly more of an episode confirming a lot of stuff alluded to or implied rather than a lot of dramatic reveals, but I like having stuff solidly ironed out.

Also I feel like Adam really needs to give us a nice radio show; his NPR radio voice is as awesome as his old-timey one.

Man, I'm a little frustrated.

Couldn't think of any questions for most of these places, but I thought up a few for Mordengrad, like how did they stay independent and did anyone ever try and take over from Blade.

And then other people got to it first, lucky jerks :P

Still, this one had some interesting information of the various city settings, so that's cool and useful. Kind of gives me an idea of how my homebrew city is going to try and compete with Megalopolis and the types of things they'll absolutely need if they are going to make that work.

When they gave a location for Megapolis , my hopes were raised for a similar reveal about Rook City , those hopes were dashed, otherwise nice episode , I feel even sadder for SkyScraper than ever before though

I admit I headcanon Rook City as being in New Jersey, with a great deal of apology to any New Jerseyites on the forum. It even turns out to go well with them saying Rook City is "a few miles" from Megalopolis.

And yeah, I feel so sorry for poor Sky-Sky. First Tempest doesn't like her, now the citizens of Earth don't like her, and there was never in existence a character who less deserved being disliked by people.

Hey, Jersey's already got Gotham, so why not.

I headcannon Rook City being in the Midwest located in flyover country where the rest of America just forgets about it, like Milwaukee or Minneapolis

I had always thought of it as Chicago to Megalopolis as New York.

But, with Megalopolis in Connecticut, that's obviously not the case… 

In unrelated news, does anyone else get the feeling that our intrepid hosts/creators are starting to hold some cards closer to the chest in advance of OblivAeon?  I feel like it's been a while since we've really gotten any big reveals as to the comics canon–the link between La Capitan and Haka is probably the most recent, to my feeling.  

But, a lot of the characters that we probably should have seen by now–Tempest, Voss, Miss Information, and Parse, particularly–are still nowhere in sight.  And, from what it seems, there's a lot of major questions hinging on their actions.  We've gotten every other major character associated with Revocorp, but not Parse.  We've gotten every core hero (and almost every Prime Warden), but not Tempest.  And talk of the Voss invasion has all but disappeared, despite it seeming like a pretty important event series early on in the publishing history, especially given the status of the Maenaryian race, the ultimate fate of Viktor, and the events depicted on Mistbound.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the upcoming episode on Blood Magic and the like, but I can't help but feel like there's a bit of "stalling" going on, until OblivAeon hits…

There's a lot of reveals coming up, What exactly Biomancer is, How blood magicians work, and the first week in December is the Lowsley brothers, some good tasty meat on those stories

Again, don't get me wrong–I'm enjoying the side stories as much as anyone out there.  But, I think C & A would readily admit that the Biomancer shenanigans and the Blood Countess's exploits are side stories, at best.  And, at least to my eyes, the Captain Cosmic/Infinitor clash is pretty self-contained; I get the impression that Infinitor is similar to The Matriarch in that he was a villain once.

It just seems odd to me that notable key players are getting shunted down the schedule in favor of relatively minor items like, "A Day in the Life in Megalopolis".  I'm enjoying it all; I'm just craving the rest of the core story!

I understand your point completely, I would also like more of the core story ,especially the Voss Invasion. I think your wrong about Infintor though , He fights the Freedom Five , Prime Wardens plus Skyscraper and is several issues of Captain Cosmic book , plus his connection to Oblivaeon means reveals if c and a are willing to give them

I  don’t think the Infinitor event is just a one time event but just moreso it just so tied into Captain Cosmic’s story you can’t separate it very well.  Fanatic and Apostate probably deserved their own episode together considering their tie-ins.   I hope we see Tempest and Voss sooner rather than later as they are the only core set Hero/villain combo left.  I had thought this month would have started off with Captain Cosmic and then December would have been Tempest to continue the trend of a Prime Warden at the beginning of the month they had going.  So I’m guessing at this point the first January episode will be Tempest.  

The fact that they have pushed Voss (and Tempest by association) so far off, to me, adds evidence that the redacted scion is Voss and they are holding that back until the game itself reveals it.

The side stories this month make me wonder if they are concerned they will lose the audience once all the villain and hero episodes are done. Though its a little late as there are only a few core characters left. I'll keep listening to whatever they decide to release, in whatever order, but maybe that is not true for others.

Where would I be able to find the Mordengrad crest? Googling it doesn't work well.

My guess for Rook City is that it's somewhere in Maine, what with all that evil and magic floating around.

RIP, Half of Adam's Leg, 19-whatever to 2017. "At least he didn't need it for art."

All I know is they're gonna be talking about alien sex in the Tempest episode. :V That's something to look forward to!

And yeah, I came up with some great questions while listening to this! Why does that always happen? XD Really looking forward to the Maerynian Refuge deck now.

I think I can agree with Platinum that there is possibly some delays going on. Also, I think the schedule got a bit borked when they decided to turn all the Interludes into episodes. I'd bet money that this episode and the Blood magic episode were planned for Interludes, so they would have hit on Thursdays, giving us two more episodes this month, plus, they really did need to go back and do Spite's episode before it got left too far behind.

I'm loving every minute of the podcast, but Voss and Tempest being super important to the Oblivaeon story is the only reason I can think of they've been pushed so far down the line. Or maybe that's what they want us to think.

For anyone concerned about the construction of the Freedom Tower, I present the Sharpe Center for Design at the Ontario College of Art & Design.

To build the Freedom Tower like that, you would need a few vertical columns.