Episode 180 of the Letters Page: Creative Process: Grace and Owen Charles in the RPG era

Originally known to us as Catastrophe and Verge from the cancelled Broken City but this time in the happier setting I hope

1 Like

I’m so jealous of their weather report. Low 70s? I’d kill for low 70s right now. D:

I do love a good ineffectual troll. Ha ha, guys, a great lie indeed. :’)

It’s a shame so little is known about these characters, both versions sound just as interesting as any other heroes in the canon.

I hope everyone recognizes that this argument over needing a single character trait to become an Isoflux-alpha fueled hero is due to Adam arguing comics tropes and Christopher just not catching what he’s laying down. :B

Gotta say, I’m kinda into letter time.

So apparently they’re not completely done with Vertex, or so they claim at least (me, I’ll believe it when I see it). Which begs the question of what exactly Vertex is from a metaverse perspective. To analogize this to non-metaverse comic book companies (aka “real” comic book companies, although C&A are so close to being actual comics publishers that I would consider disputing that term), is the Vertex-style reboot a reshaping of the Sentinel Comics Universe along the lines of DC’s Flashpoint and New 52 rebranding (or, to go much much earlier, the Crisis on Infinite Earths)? Or is it more of a Marvel Ultimates situation, where they leave the original Sentinel Comics Universe alone for a while, but launch a totally new line in its place? (The difference in this analogy being that Ultimates didn’t replace the standard Marvel continuity, it existed alongside it. But I don’t think that entirely kills the analogy, since we don’t know 100% of everything Sentinel Comics is doing in the metaverse, we just know that they publish a bunch of Vertex titles after several years of the Sentinel Comics Universe. Even if they aren’t actively publishing their own SCU comics anymore, they could sort of put the continuity on pause while going and doing Vertex, and I would argue that the existence of the RPG suggests that the metaverse has kind of a D&D-Pathfinder thing going on, where third party companies are still publishing characters in the original continuity even while Vertex premieres.)

It’s more of a representation of Marvel MAX or DC Vertigo imprints. The RPG timeline is more happy and this is meant to more brutal/gritty.

If only I remembered who Catastrophe and Verge were :rofl:

The Wiki is your friend (albeit a somewhat disorganized one).

That’s been my impression with Vertex. It wasn’t a complete replacement, it was a side gig with some hot shot writers. Like Ultimate Marvel or the Vertigo line at DC.

I only ever remember them because when I go to the wiki’s list of heroes, Catastrophe shows up near the top and I go, “Who’s that???”

1 Like