Episode 200 of the Letters Page: Writers’ Room: Stranger in a Strange World #27

Let’s see if they stick to this being a “An Unequivocally Feel-Good Issue”

4 Likes

Nothing makes me feel good like a BATTLE TO THE DEATH!!! I’m sure there’s some twist in there. I’ll have to listen on the way home from work.

2 Likes

I’m so glad you had the full cover image to post there. :smiley: Wow, that guy looks amazing. Anyone know where he is in DE?

I love how when Christopher gets to “circus performers”, you can just hear Adam’s credulity die the final death.

Ah, I sure am glad Adam’s feeling better now. :slight_smile:

Now it’s just Harry Potter fanfic with the edges sanded off. XD Life’s been hard lately, these are the kinds of shenanigans I need right now.

For a feel-good story, this is an awfully tragic villain…

Hey, they did succeed in a feel-good story, though. :slight_smile:

I like that question about who you would and wouldn’t want to hang out with in a blizzard. My mind immediately went to Unity and Absolute Zero, and I think including Tachyon would be a good idea, too. And of course, you gotta have Haka. While I can’t think of anyone I would not want to hang out in an enclosed area with more Writhe. <.< Lifeline is definitely down there, too.

Aww, even the closing notes are feel-good. :smiley:

Credit to @Jeysie for finding the full image.

3 Likes

Put! Secret! Lads! In! The! GLOBAL! Book!!!

Now that that’s out of the way, I am very much looking forward to content about later iterations of Death-Con; he’s a neat villain concept.

1 Like

I honestly laughed a bit when C&A were like “We can’t tell a story about Akash’Thriya, she’s kinda more hopeful than feel-good, so we’re going to do this story that’s an allegory about civil rights and racism!”.

Like, it did turn out very feel-good in the end, but was still, “only you two…”

3 Likes

I’m guessing that the Predator-looking guy on Bunker’s Recharge Mode is a future iteration of Deathcon. Maybe even the Deathcon-1 they briefly mentioned.

I really enjoyed this one! As a funny side-note, Deathcon’s story reminded me a lot of Benchmark, to the point that I wouldn’t be surprised if that contributed to some of the negative responses he got in the Metaverse. Like, “why are you pushing this guy on us, he’s just Worse Deathcon!” XD
But yeah, lovely story and now we have another supporting cast member for Tempest/FILTER stories, which can only be a good thing!

(Also I think Unity reads Secret Lads books in her downtime)

5 Likes

Ooh, Trevor forgot to censor a “bastard”; I am pleased by the tidal wave of the corruption of America’s innocent youth which shall now ensue.

Somehow whenever Adam comes back from being sick, he sounds really upbeat and energetic again, and then in subsequent weeks as he gets back to normal he just sounds increasingly tired and haggard. Maybe he should just start taking a week off regularly so he can get his mojo back.

The gag about the Secret Lads’ trophies all being redacted really makes me think of the SCP Foundation, where a lot of writers REALLY lean hard on the use of [DATA EXPUNGED] to avoid having to make up a lot of crucial details.

Wait, was that the whole Cult of Gloom letter, or did they just kind of stop in the middle? I didn’t hear an actual question, nor any sort of sign off; it seemed like they just read the intro and then were like “well yeah that’s not really a thing we do” and then just moved on to the next letter.

Okay, finished the episode, and other than my usual negative personal opinions, which I’ll keep to myself for once, my only remaining comment is to say that I wish we’d gotten any info about the Captain Cosmic backup story which the cover mentions. It’d be really easy for that to be a pure feel-good story in a more straightforward sense, where CC just goes to some weird new planet, stops a volcano from exploding or something, and then flies off into the sunset again.

We used to do that. These days, redactions and expungements are used far more sparingly, for better narrative effect, and are often foregone completely.

Wow, that’s one great Silver Age cover.

Maybe we’ll get him in The Block’s deck.

I’m glad Christopher got the cover back to where it usually is, it was much too small before.

1 Like

There were changes done by Libsyn that caused it and might be an issue for a few writers’ room episodes.

I’ve mostly only read the first series (002-999), and that has generally not been changed (which is good). The modern format is much too busy for my taste, and the style of many stories had been drifting in a direction I don’t care for. The overuse of redaction is an acceptable annoyance with the old stuff IMO, much as many comics fans have a preference for Silver or even Golden age stuff, despite the obvious flaws like washed-out colors or campy stories or now-uncomfortable social norms, because they things they really care about are stronger in stories from back then. Every art form evolves, but not all evolution is for the better.

The look makes me think of a pre-90s Benchmark, too. So maybe there will be a connection, like Revocorp acquiring some of the tech.

4 Likes