Episode 223 of the Letters Page: Writers’ Room: Fanatic # 27

Cover not showing currently but this is the incap side of FA Fanatic

Edit: now a cover

2 Likes

Random aside based on one of the letters. If I ever use the Lance of Longinus in an urban fantasy story, it wouldn’t be significant because of it’s connection to the Crucifixion. That might have primed it, allowed it to become a focus and gather power, but that’s not what forged it. No, that happened when Longinus, a simple soldier, refused to elevate a man into a god. Since then, the spear is very good at cutting through the defenses of those who would claim to be gods…

3 Likes

I mean, if that was his goal, he failed miserably…

1 Like

I haven’t had a chance to listen to the episode yet (important life stuff going on), but it would be a bit funny if the lance was cursed such that it revived whoever it was used on.

1 Like

Fun fact: Garfield hates Mondays because they remind him of how cyclical and monotonous his life is. This is canon according to Jim Davis himself: Jim Davis Explains Why Garfield Loves Lasagna and Hates Mondays and Why People Love Garfield | HuffPost Entertainment

Garfield does not have a job, Garfield does not go to school and every day is the same. Nevertheless every Monday is just a reminder that his life is the same old, same old cycling again and for some reason even though his life is pretty much the same every day on Mondays specifically, awful things tend to happen to him physically.

4 Likes

Also, the part about Garfield and propaganda reminds me of this video .

Oh, it wasn’t HIS goal. He just said “no.” Sure, he died because of it, but that’s how a lot of these legendary items are forged.

Honestly this is the clip from Garfield and Friends that sticks in my mind Garfield: It Must Be True! - YouTube

I was definitely swayed by Garfield’s pro-lasagna propaganda when I was a kid.

Wow, did not expect Christopher to know about the “Garfield misses Jon” theory! :smiley:

They could call it Il Garflimento. :V

Ooh, Apostate confirmed for Definitive Edition! :3

Fanatic is an Agnes song. :slight_smile:

I love Christopher’s know-it-all turbonerd voice for Soothsayer Carmichael. XD

Wait, the Dagger of Thuul isn’t real? :frowning:

Lots of good questions this week. And Trevor did a good job! :smiley:

Are we talking about the same spear? The one that a Roman soldier (“Longinus”) thrust into Jesus, to ensure that he was dead (not even kill him, just ensure the death)? After which, Jesus rose again, thus proving he is God?

Not quite. Longinus wasn’t the nameless soldier that was at the Crucifixion. He was a Christian soldier sometime later, who refused to worship the Emperor as a god. He was put to death because of that. His spear was said to carry one of the nails from the “True Cross” (enough pieces of THAT have been sold over the centuries to build Noah’s Ark a couple times, but that’s another thing). That it was the same spear as the Crucifixion is debatable, and like bit in Authurian mythos that combine Excalibur and the Sword in the Stone, they blended together over the centuries.

For me, the Spear of Longinus is what Asuka uses in the End of Evangellion, as best evidenced in that awesome AMV set to Du Hast.

1 Like

For me, it’s what Hitler used to keep all the superheroes out of WWII:

Interesting. I have not seen that interpretation of it, nor can I find it in my searches. Do you have a link to something I can read about it?

Argh… can’t remember where I came across it. Something I was studying in college or watching back when the History Channel was actually about (gasp) history.

1 Like

The Wikipedia article has lots of citations for Longinus being the dude who stabbed Jesus on the Cross.

1 Like

I could be wrong. Problem is tradition and mythology actually predates scripture, so add two millennia of drift, and a nameless dude in one part of the tale gets conflated with another dude from a different story.

Again, see Authurian mythos, or Robin Hood, or any mention of Zagreus in Greek myth, or a thousand others.

2 Likes

Well, I really like your interpretation if you’re discussing a spear that was used to kill an emperor who was claiming to become a god! That would make for a really cool relic.

If someone claimed that was the goal with the spear that pierced Jesus’ side, they failed miserably (in which case, I like my thought about a cursed spear that actually revives whoever is stabbed, although I would not like for a story like that to be made).

That’s the idea. Kind of a Stargate Teal’c in the way. “You are no god.”

Again, the story I’m referencing, the soldier just refused to worship the Emperor as a god. He didn’t get away with it, but I imagine it would be VERY useful to some uppity ancient threat that’s emerged in the modern day…

2 Likes

No respect for Garfield or Jim Davis since he’s admitted it’s not written to be funny, only to make money.

Garfield Minus Garfield is a brilliant case study in John slowly losing his mind, however.

3 Likes