Episode 226 of the Letters Page: Writers’ Room: NightMist #114

Our Alpha and NightMist team up

2 Likes

Seconding the call to donate blood! It’s a fairly easy experience to go through, at least when I’ve done it, and it means you could very well save someone’s life.

3 Likes

I wonder where Christopher was/what was going on to make his audio sound so tinny.

Blood-cursed Nightmist, huh? Sounds like a variant to me!

Using “It’s Alpha!” as a twist reveal is really cool.

A lead-in to teaming up with Blood Countess? Oh, that’s fantastic. :smiley:

Wait, no, tell us about Hexecutioner first! D:

Oh! I kinda figured it’d be him. :open_mouth:

Nightmist vs. Isis? Is this new? That sounds like a good Writer’s Room topic.

Who would win: 700 vampires or one bitey gal?

I’m really confused now as to whether Hexterminator and Hexecutioner are different people or just them misspeaking.

Yeah, I have to look away when I get blood drawn, too. I always tell whoever’s doing it to just ignore my crying.

What is this music

So Alpha/Nightmist shipping, got it.

Maybe Italians are just anti-vampire. You ever think of that? >:V

I love the half-and-half solution to the rat plague/vampire questions, that is delightful.

My guess was either China or Russia. In statistics like this, they’re always the highest. What was the answer though? D:

1 Like

Nope. Got mentioned all the way back in her original character episode. I agree it would be a writers room topic but the full story would likely be multiple episodes I’d guess.

Crossover with Ra’s plot - after his defeat by the Ennead and subsequent disappearance, Faye is one of the heroes to step up to deal with them. She has a big magic duel with Isis, which Faye loses. This rattles her as she has always been the hero to take care of these magical threats. After some soul-searching she recreates the events that curses her, regaining the mist powers, but due to her new knowledge she goes further, pulling on the magic of the Void, drawing it into herself (becoming more of a “magical being” than a mortal one, leaving her trapped there for subjective centuries until she manages to find her way back). This is touched upon in her Dark Watch bio. She’s only been gone a few days in the “real world”, but she’s changed a lot and is “legit powerful” now. She rejoins the fight with the Ennead again and just wipes the floor with Isis.

3 Likes

Hexterminator is the final villain name for Chuck Burnside. Hexecutioner is what they originally wanted to call him but it was taken (admittedly it is the cooler name).

So was anyone expecting unpowered Nightmist to go full Xena: Warrior Princess? 'Cause I sure wasn’t. Nor that Blood Countess would decide to model herself after Kiss. The 90s are sure something…

Also Hexterminator could be another candidate for our Red-Hatted Gambit-looking character from the RCR rulebook.

1 Like

I mostly wasn’t expecting depowered NightMist. I’m not surprised by the outfit though knowing it’s the 90s.

1 Like

I suppose it’s just a coincidence that her weapon is very similar to Sk8-Blayde’s? It’s the 90s, need more spikes, right?

2 Likes

Ooh, that’s a fun prediction! :open_mouth:

That art looks so different to me that I didn’t know who the cover character would be until listening. I think we’ve only seen powerless Faye on Vengeance Blade’s Regression Darts in EE, right? Everywhere else has been white hair unless I’m forgetting something.

2 Likes

Yes, until this cover Regression Darts had been the only time we’d seen a depowered NightMist

4 Likes

I do like the idea that werewolves are much older than vamps. The folklore about things that resemble werewolves being hunters of evil go back… a long-ass time.

The mention of Isis did give me a random idea about the Anead artifacts. Like maybe if they were found by slightly more reputable people (like Marty with Anubis), I wonder if any would try to use the non-Greek renderings of the names, as a way to separate them from the prior incarnations. Like Het-Heru instead of Hathor, Aset instead of Isis, or Wesir instead of Osiris. But that might just be because I found that Scion 2e used those names for that pantheon intriguing.

I might need to submit a question about interactions between Harpy and Alpha, given that Tabitha probably covered the Matriarch’s rampage…

5 Likes

Go back to last October with Chaos Witch and you get a Harpy/Alpha story. I think they talk there a bit about how they may have had some history before the team up.

It’s also an episode where they go through nearly every character with will-they-won’t-they for becoming a werewolf. Just a neat little callback since we’re in Oops! All Werewolves! month.

2 Likes

Also, a thought about the whole Plague Rat and vampire bites bit. So blood magic can purge the infection, the vampire nature would be an instant cure…

Um… Could this be a reason La Commodora cured Tachyon? Because the “vampire world” episode established that she’d be really, REALLY nasty as a vampire. So did Maria Helena cure Tachyon because if she didn’t, Blood Countess was nearby, and we’d have something much, much worse?

I’d moreso just imagine having a heroic Tachyon rather than a villainous one of any sort would be better.

1 Like

Checked the summary. Yeah, but it feels like Alpha was still a work-in-progress at that point. They were in the middle of developing RCR (Adam had not yet done Harpy’s art, for instance), so I’m curious to see how things have fallen into place.

That, too. Tachyon, as established, is a half step away from being a supervillain.

Anyone else read the webcomic Aurora ( by OSP’s Red)? There’s a character the author describes as: “Erin would make a fantastic villain, but since he doesn’t want to be one, he’s a mediocre hero instead.” While Tachyon isn’t “mediocre” in any sense, the quote had a bit of a resonance.