Episode 228 of the Letters Page: Writers’ Room: Tome of the Bizarre Vol. 1 #23

The topic C&A hinted at previously

2 Likes

I have nothing to say to the biceps face other than “Weird flex but ok”. :muscle:t2::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Haven’t yet heard the episode, but I’m already interested in these backup stories.

4 Likes

“The Were-Hound of the Baskervilles” are you kidding me? :smiley: This sounds fantastic already.

Been a while since the last “that’s our other podcast” joke. :slight_smile:

Okay, that’s a really goofy twist, I love it. Didn’t see it coming till Holmes showed up in that scene. :smiley:

And this revisitation really cements this as an idea that has merit, even. Wow.

Okay, but in the vampire-verse or whatever, Polly Hedron’s crew would be the She-Nanifangs.

Boy, if the Sherlock Holmes retread wasn’t enough of a draw, we still would have zombie Transformers. :smiley:

How much of a woman(?)izer is Greazer? Have we been over that before?

Loan Shark? Well there goes my very new headcanon that all Beronians have names starting with some form of “kar”.

I think this episode proves that Adam is just online enough.

1 Like

I did not spot where the story was building to, and I feel like I should have. Good job.

Also extremely delighted that my question about cards revealed that all gambling was brought to Earth by ancient aliens. Should have seen it coming. 10/10, no comments.

1 Like

IIRC, Greazer is somewhere around the “anything that can consent” pansexuality.

1 Like

I didn’t so much spot where the story was going, as think “if there’s a Werewolf vs. Holmes story, I’d want to see this.” So I was very satisfied!

Also: Christopher talking about shipping costs to Australia is Too Real. I used to live in Tasmania, where it’s more expensive even compared to a lot of other parts of Australia due to being a smaller island, and it was semi-common for people to get friends to join big online orders to spread the “Tassie Tax” out over more people. Can’t even imagine what it would be like living in the actual outback, that would be so rough.

2 Likes

I’m proud of the fact I was able to predict the twist about a third of the way through the story - it was a fun one.

I also quite like how they tied this story back to the modern day. Harlock sounds like a cool bloke, I sure hope nothing awful happens to him.

3 Likes

I thought about the twist, but rejected it because there didn’t seem to be a reason why Holmes & Watson were invited to the manor unless the problem was already there.

3 Likes

I would be so mad at the amount of time that C&A spend stringing us along without actually saying anything conclusive about the actual story…if not for the cover giving it away instantly. :rofl: For once, a spoiler is way preferable to remaining in suspense.

The first two side stories pretty much write themselves; you could add some details to What Terrible Strength that might be slightly creative, but there are numerous obvious possibilities. However, I can’t really come up with anything for “The Midnight Machine”…the picture doesn’t really look like much of anything, so I can only imagine the broadest possibilities of what it might be about.

snort “The Midnight That Walks Like A Man”…I want that so bad…

To answer the question C&A briefly asked, the prefix “Were-” goes back centuries, since it’s just Olde English for “adult male”. Thusly the long-lost term “werman” for a specifically male person, while a female person at the time was a “wifman”, which evolved into “woman”. (In the same era, “gyrle” was the word for a child of any gender, while the word “boy” simply meant “servant”.) Thusly, whenever the myth of what the French called a “loup garou” (“wolf person”) made it to the British Isles, the word that was used to describe it was “werwolf”, and only far later did the concept of other therianthropes ever become known in the English-speaking world, at which point the “were” prefix was used to describe things like werepanthers in Africa or werejaguars in the Spanish colonies of tropical America. So by technical definition, these creatures are always males of their species, which is an issue…but that issue doesn’t affect “were-hound” at all, so it absolutely works.

Serious fans of the Sherlock Holmes franchise (as opposed to just the popular media based on it) will be aware that Sherlock has a brother named Mycroft, who is much more brilliant and deductively gifted than the more famous Holmes, but it isn’t in his nature to go gallivanting around the world and working with various police departments. If you subscribe to the theory that Holmes is a high-functioning autistic person, then Mycroft would be a person who is even more brilliant, but also less high-functioning; he can’t deal with social situations very much at all, so while Sherlock can go and consult with him on tough cases, he’s pretty much the only one who knows how you have to talk to Mycroft, and nobody else can really manage it.

I’m very glad that “the Rive” have pretty much officially shifted to “the Riven”, since the latter is a much better name IMO. But while these are somewhat interesting, the obvious thing to follow up on with the previous episode is the relationship between Fashion and Greazer. I very much see Shirley Shane as looking at Greazer and mentally saying “y’know, I used to think guys like this were totally dreamy, with their perfect hair and their sweet rides; now I can’t imagine what it felt like to be that shallow”. (Oh, and the idea that Kaargra’s entire species consist of Amazonian females and inhuman males gives me all sorts of ideas…)