Episode 236 of the Letters Page: Creative Process: Make an SCRPG One-Shot

Making a SCRPG one-shot live

3 Likes

Anyone else get a Vehicle Voltron meets Horizon: Zero Dawn vibe from their brainstorming about the robots?

Also, this is going to be REALLY niche, but when they were discussing the scouts question, and specifically the Fanatic step, my reaction was “I dunno, she seems more like Jobs Daughters type…”

1 Like

Glad I’m not the only GM who has trouble coming up with environment-related things, on the fly or otherwise. I need to ask my players for twist ideas more often, but I guarantee I’ll get a lot of “the villain just blows up”.

I hope this becomes Adhesivist commits tax evasion. :smiley:

So what I’m hearing is a good setup for a set of Mega Man X bosses.

2 Likes

That was also one of my thoughts.

Any bets on the mystery boss(es)? They definitely made it sound like the three you have to fight are already themed to their unique drivers.

Environment is the part I have the most trouble coming with. At least ahead of time while building the issue. Everything else is very story-related (the villain has a story, the adventure has a story), but the Environment doesn’t. At least in the planning stage / for me. During play, working off my players and what they’re doing, I can usually come up with some good stuff. But while building the adventure? Not so much.

1 Like

I struggle with environments, too. Not every fight has to be in some interesting setpiece location, but having no environment shouldn’t be the default. It’s hard to not to have a ton of scenes in cities with collapsing power lines, sewers, and bystanders getting in the way all the time.

The Order of the Simple Machine leaps immediately to mind. They’re a Paradigms villain, they’re in Rook City, and there are 3 main lieutenants. The Organization is also possible.

2 Likes

I mean… do we know what happened to Revenant after Oblivaeon and losing Revo?

1 Like

from the wiki-
Revenant: Mark Benedetto is still around but is hanging out in the background. He knows that he’s done as a public figure at this point and is now just arming smaller villains and leading small groups of them. We’ve not seen the last of him.

1 Like

They mention the possibility of playing Unity or Benchmark. do we think they have written the Benchmark character sheet and just not released it yet? Urban settings book? Dark Watch book since new Reva Corp is rebuilding Rook City?

1 Like

Yeah, that’s all I found, too. I checked the letters page on Revo, and there wasn’t anything there, either. So yeah, I think this might be the big reveal, sort of like Fracture in Off The Rails.

The last letter caught my attention: Cool! Rook City Renegades is it in the wild! I’ve been anxiously refreshing my emails for shipping notices ever since the update saying that the container with 80% of the games was in St. Louis. I’m excited!

1 Like

You’re not the only one. But I also remember that economics forces GTG to use FedEx, so even if I get tracking info, the likelihood of it being accurate is vanishingly small.