Episode 252 of the Letters Page: Writers’ Room: Mystery Comics Vol 2 #93

Fanatic vs the Organization.

2 Likes

Will listen later, but HO. LEE. SHIT, that cover!!! I would have bought this issue just for that cover. That 100% got turned into posters for sale.

4 Likes

Boy, they’ve got extra goof juice in today!

“Do you know what an Italian is?” may be the funniest thing ever said on this show.

As someone with zero religion in her life, I feel like this is a really good comic book story about religion. :slight_smile:

…Is it El Nate? Okay, it’s El Nate, lol

Setback I think would end up annoying Fanatic, but not for any, like, occult reason. Just because he is who he is.

Today, Adam and Christopher learn about Gaelic spelling!

Darn, no Faenatic variant? Guess we’ll just have to do it ourselves! :V

Wouldn’t a bottle of paste keep the heroes in place rather than away? I think the Adhesivist needs to rethink his training routine.

Queue up your Cheeryverse letters!

I always got the sense Demiurge lived in some kind of castle? So if not in Europe, then just one of those really eccentric places built by a weirdo.

What if I want to be a Fright Treen? :V

1 Like

I feel bad about that. Slightly.

I am totally going to see how a fae-ish Fanatic knockoff would look in the RPG…

1 Like

I found this story really interesting, both on its own merits and from imagining the interpretation of the more religiously-inclined metaverse fans. There’s definitely arguments to be had about seeing this as a rejection of the ‘everything happens for a reason, God has a plan’ perspective, but on the other hand you might get people claiming that, by starting on that path, he’s already somewhat redeemed his soul from evil.
(Not that I want to start that discourse in THIS universe, mind you, it’s just interesting to imagine it)

While listening, I was actually thinking about the story going in a slightly different direction, where the main character has the moral crisis, but is drawn back into his criminal lifestyle, and THEN dies, either to random violence or at Fanatic’s hand (demonstrating that she never spared him on purpose in the first place) but on reflection I feel like that’s a less interesting story than we ended up with.

1 Like

Cover’s a lovely emulation of the Sin City look, although it’d be more than ten years till he adopted that style and his 1984 work (notably Ronin) was much less polished, especially when he was doing his own inking. Guess “Diller” was ahead of his IRL inspiration in terms of talent.

2 Likes

It’s easy enough to do, but the question is whether you want something very much like Fanatic with just an aesthetic re-skin (ie still Higher Power sourced and focused on Radiant, Signature Weapon, Flight, Strength) or if you want the fae side of things to be prominent as some kind of knight of the Seelie Court or changeling or something. The latter might be very different all around with a more overtly magical take on things.

Exactly. And like good starting points, I have a few different ideas on where it can go. And with the SCRPG, of course, I have a number of different ways to build even the same character concept. (My own main from my CoH days had at least two different builds in SCRPG, depending on if I focus on one aspect of her powers or another…)

2 Likes

Finally got a listen, and I think this story in particular is a great example of how much the impact and success of a story depends on the detailed writing that doesn’t happen on these episodes. Just about everything in this story depends on the 2/3 of the issue that is internal monologue for the main character. It could come off really well, with the character reflecting on their life story and grappling with the philosophy of their moral decisions (through the lens of their religion, to greater or lesser extent). Or the internal arguments could totally fall flat with readers. From the outline, we really don’t know! But I always like when a story really tries to address the moral questions involved, and it sure sounds like they created a plot framework where that attempt could happen.

1 Like