Episode 257 of the Letters Page: Writers’ Room: Cosmic Concurrence #12

Parse IN

Poster:

3 Likes

And if anyone wants the poster as a separate image: https://twitter.com/GtGAdam/status/1686068292849455104. :grin:

It’s also on the webpage. I’ll add it to the main post as well.

1 Like

:laughing: Sorry about that - I should have scrolled further down on the page! :blush:

Oddly enough, I re-watched Rocky Horror last night. Tim Curry’s changed a lot over the years.

Command & Conquer is much funnier if you imagine his character’s wearing the Frank N. Furter outfit under that jacket and tie. :slight_smile:

See, I was thinking more along these lines but replace “Pigs” with “Parse”, said in the same style. Not a commentary on her size as depicted in the art BTW, since that came up in a question.

The other alternative is from Mel Brooks’ History of the World, but I’m not even going to say who’s in space there cause it’s not really a joke that lands in this day and age.

1 Like

54:50 ish: Do they not realize Clan Destine (or however they’re spelling it) is a Marvel thing that’s been around for years? “Dead Wreckon” will have to be the last member of something else. That one’s taken.

Boy, they always come up with some new way to be weird, don’t they?

I love that everything from space jail to space religion is not only assumed to be a thing that exists, but a thing that exists under that name.

I love that point in the episode where you know they’ve finally hit on the story because it’s reflected in the cover. :smiley:

I’m very glad that they kept the original story idea they started with for later use. :slight_smile: Someone write that in as a prompt!

Love how Scravengers vs. Paradoja crew was a tossup, but Orbo vs. Balarians is no question at all. XD

Parse vs. space autism, write that in too.

I thought Parse being able to calculate pi on the fly was great, then they made it better as a way for her to get to sleep. XD

Why not make a flesh table? Because it would be weird, duh! D:

This Ambuscade development story is so good. :smiley:

Spite is oops, all yikes.

…Okay, the Cult of Gloom needs to be stopped. They’re doing too well if they have money out outsource this many bad punsters. XD

1 Like

Am I the only one that had the instant thought that the end of the Morphon Intergalactic arc would end with Parse confronting the head honcho in their office, cue Bad Guy speech about they have the hero surrounded and about to win, and then Parse’s “you think I came alone?” and Dead Wreckin moves off the wall behind the BBEG.

4 Likes

Do Parse and Knyfe ever meet while IN SPACE? Because that feels like a Knyfe entrance. Well, less moving off the wall and more blowing the wall to atoms.

Given that “Clan Destine” has only appeared in 22 issues in three tiny bursts of a year or less, the most recent of which was fifteen years ago, I think that very nearly everyone could be forgiven for forgetting that.

It’s such a tiny name use both for Marvel and for Sentinel Comics, and such a common pun (hell, there is a Clan Destine Press, a Clad Destine Records, and a band called Clan Destine), that I think it would be completely fine for it to exist in both places. Would not remotely be the first time. Presumably if anyone even noticed, the Sentinel Comics one would just be called Clan Destin, with no ‘e’ to preserve the distinction.

Yeah, no. It’s literally the first thing that comes up when you google “comic clan destine” and it’s very definitely in the current Marvel comic news because they recently retconned Ms. Marvel from being an Inhuman to being a djinn, and thereby related to Clan Destine. The clan hasn’t had its own title in decades, but individual members of it have been showing up on and off more recently. The Ms. Marvel thing got a fair bit of press because it’s a radical change to a popular new-ish character and ticked off a whole lot of fans because it’s broadly seen solely as an attempt to get her to align with whatever the MCU has planned for her going forward - and move her away from the Inhumans, who don’t seem to be Hollywood darlings. There’s also some understandable concern about tying Marvel’s first big Muslim character to their version of djinn, which are considerably different than their depictions in Islamic religious writings, to put it mildly.

Not as obscure as you think, and I guarantee you if GTG used Clan Destine or Destin in a product with obvious connections to comics (even faux comics) there’d be lawyers calling in short order. Which was the point of my post. C&A are usually really good about not stepping on toes by researching potential conflicts, and this is a rare case where they missed one. Probably due to upcoming GenCon distractions and the episode having no prep, just winging it - but I’d still hate to see them move forward with this in their lore and then have to erase it use any of it in print form.

They could just spell it differently, right? Destynn or some other out-there, sci-fi mutation.

So here’s the thing: everything exists in comics, because comics have been around for ages.

If you search for “Comics Wraith”, you will find that the first result is a Marvel Comics character named Wraith (who is in fact even a gadget-based vigilante). If you search for “Comics Tempest”, you will find that there’s a DC superhero named Tempest. If you search for Captain Cosmic, the first result is from Image Comics, and the second result is from Marvel Comics. If you search for “Comics Unity”, you’ll find that it’s a Valiant Comics superhero team.

Unless C&A attempted to make ClanDestine (all one word) a core part of their trade dress, the mere fact that it exists on a line of text somewhere in a card game about superheroes is not going to provoke a lawsuit.

3 Likes

And here are some more examples to corroborate Friv’s point:

And, of course, the Big Two do this with each-other too.

2 Likes