Episode 280 of the Letters Page: Writers’ Room: Disparation Vol. 2 #122

The end is nigh for the Oracle

1 Like

Well, Felicia in the next expansion seems to be confirmed. Because they’re making/revealing variants.

Ugh, allergies, yes. They’ve been worse in other years, but this year they’re just constant. DX

It’s a little rude of Christopher to remind us we’re all slowly dying, since he can never die. Check your immortal privilege, yo. >:|

Time to bring out the Citizen Hammer pony again. Or was it actually an Adam pony? I do not want to figure this out!

It starts with Felicia Parsons, you say? And Adam said we wouldn’t figure out who was on the cover! :slight_smile:

The Oracle having, like, emotions, is such a weird idea somehow!

Oh man, Exile? Wild!

Oh, maybe it’s actually X-ile. Or X-Aisle? Maybe it’s “X-I’ll”, as in, “You say shit about my X, I’ll crush your head!”

I’m happy to be getting another look at Legacy of Destruction. I really appreciate how different he is from Iron Legacy. I-Legs is very brooding, calculating, exacting vengeance molecule by molecule as he beats people to a pulp. LoD is a Saturday morning cartoon villain. He’s just here to have a good time, and having a good time means being a jerk and breaking shit. I’ll bet he enjoys having nightmares. He probably likes his steak crispy. :smiley:

Which now makes me think, “Legacy of Destruction’s Magical Bar-Be-Que”. <_< And now I want the metaverse to have had a cartoon for a D-list hero, airing around the same time as the old live-action Wraith show, whose animation is repurposed in the aughts to make a parody talk show.

Magic guy’s gonna be, who, the Seer?

ZHU LONG? :smiley: I’ve never considered a heroic Zhu Long before, oh man, that’s awesome, this is shaping up to be a fantastic issue. (There’s also something to be said for them telling us a story they already know as opposed to making it up in real-time.)

Ah yes, letting Exile loose in your sacred orrery, one of the classic blunders.

Oh, tell me the Oracle’s mad because they discovered the fourth wall.

LMFAO, what a fucking story XD Could not have asked for a better sendoff/transition period for Disparation. Why does this feel like it’s Guise’s fault somehow?

I like this cursed pen future. :slight_smile:

She bends words the way he bends Pauls!

Soothsayer Carmichael being an Oracle of Discord fanboy. XD

Ooh, Hannah Hall confirmed for DE Visionary deck!

I thought the answer to this Vanessa Long Fixed Point question was that it’s not “in every universe, Vanessa Long will get powers”, but “in every universe which has Vanessa Long, she gets powers”.

And if Christopher’s spine breaks a third time, we’ll know it’s enemy action!

2 Likes

I don’t know about confirmed for the next expansion but she will definitely be part of the game in one of the expansions.

4 Likes

Personally, I rather like how the 2nd Spiderverse movie did it. When Miguel was talking about canon events, I was thinking fixed points. So I feel like it’s less "every universe has these Fixed Points,’ and more “these Fixed Points define the multiverse we can see/access.” The non-space universes drifting around ur-space could be said to BE the “structure” of ur-space. Ur-space is made up of the stuff that universes could be made from.

2 Likes

Perhaps the discords or an art stream or something have revealed something, but they’ve been cagey enough about what’s next that I’m both expecting everything and nothing. Until we see the Rule/Lore booklet for Disparation and what they reveal on the last page.

More one of the Disparation updates, where the Nemesis Symbol for Iron Legacy is a Legacy lantern with a caped woman silhouette.

2 Likes

Yeah, I knew about that. But that doesn’t necessarily mean anything. Though with the nemesis icons, it seems unlikely that we WON’T see Young Legacy, Akash’Thria, and Naturalist (because Iron Legacy, Terrorform, and probably Necrosis, but will have to see the cards) in the next set, but at this point I wouldn’t put anything past those two.

1 Like

I figure that means it’s either a deck or a variant, and IIRC they said they wouldn’t be going the “Nemesis Icons for variants” route.

I dunno, I know C&A are weird (/affectionate), but sometimes I figure they gotta just do the normal thing as it’d be too much pretzel twisting even for them, lol.

1 Like

Oh, indeed. I just keep thinking about how they’ve mentioned that there are some Easter Eggs that no one has found from old stuff and they’re okay with that. Heck, I’m doing a re-listen and Christopher made a statement like that, and I’m like “wait… was there no follow-up?” Apparently not, so I sent in a question…

At this point, C&A know exactly what expectations they’ve created by revealing that nemesis symbol, and I cannot imagine the bad blood they’d create with their fans if they went “You know that deck you’ve all wanted for years? Well, surprise, we created the first ever variant with their own nemesis symbol! Oops! Silly us!”

There are a couple different ways you can lie to your fans, lying to protect secrets/future content, or a malicious lie, and them playing with fan expectations like that would certainly feel malicious to me.

1 Like

I don’t think the YL symbol will be a Legacy variant, but I also don’t think Exile will be a Young Legacy variant since she’s evil. This opens up speculation that the Iron Legacy critical event could be this very issue with Exile replacing his character card though. Maybe not that much of a stretch for the IL deck thematically.

One question resulting from an unexpected Inversiverse episode is Who’s Exile’s mom? Is it evil Emily Parsons (and what’s she like?), some other willing (or unwilling) female, or maybe test tube baby because MAD SCIENCE?! Could be problematic…

2 Likes

Exile is Legacy of Destruction’s kid, not Iron Legacy. There’s a surfeit of Evil Legacies around at this point.

Would be interesting to see how IL would react to Exile, who’s essentially a rotten funhouse mirror version of his own dead daughter. Can’t see it ending well if they ever did meet before his universe was obliterated - or after, if he somehow got a miraculous survival into the RPG era and popped up in the sandwich bag…

1 Like

Yeah this is basically my take.

C&A have been coy/cagey aplenty, but never actively misleading AFAIK.

The biggest “lies to fans” they told in the time I’ve been in the fandom was probably the Scion Voss deal, but even then there was still so many hints that nobody was actually that fooled, as the massive pile of “I called it!” letters they read off in that episode showed.

1 Like

Yeah, I got the first part. There is no Iron Legacy with a living daughter because that defeats the backstory. Just saying I’d thought critical event IL might be LoD, but now there’s another possibility.

Who are the other bad Legacies? I’m only thinking of:
Iron
Destruction
Vampire Lord, i.e. Bloodline

1 Like

Well, Biomancer did dupe him multiple times, although Baron Blade may have killed all of those.

Isn’t three (or four) plenty? Aside from the lack of a Bizarro Legacy the bases seem pretty well covered, and they could shove one in with Mad Science, biomancy and/or Disparation stories.

Oh yeah, fleshchildren and Blade-bots of course, although they may not have the free agency of the named villainous Legacies. And lest we forget, the nightmare Legacy a.k.a. Dark Hero. That’s the one that seems closest to a Bizarro version in my mind at least.

Alright, I concur that’s enough evil versions. Still doesn’t come close to touching the heroic variants though. Not even going to try to list all those cause I know I’ll miss some. Looking forward to Joe VI the most though to get me to play Legacy deck in DE again.

Had to look up to confirm. Yeah. Cannot wait for him. Loved that episode.

1 Like

So we have three more expansions after Dispiration. “Team Up Villains”, “Space!”, and “Oblivaeon, no really”. And based on the three likely “extra” heroes, that puts Young Legacy in Team Up, with Fashion clearly in Space!, and Rambler the most thematic matchup for “bad guys being good?” That’s where I have my Vegas money, at least.

1 Like

I feel Young Legacy makes the most sense for the last expansion. As the OblivAeon box already won’t have Harpy in it as a villain turned hero. Akash’Thriya came about much earlier so they’re likely to be in the next box as Space doesn’t make sense for her. Young Legacy also feels like she has her full break out moment in the OblivAeon storyline too. She did her stuff before then and had big moment. However, OblivAeon is what starts her taking the mantle from Paul.

My thought is Rambler for the team up box, Greazer or Fashion for Space, and Young Legacy for OblivAeon

2 Likes