Fjur’s Environment Archive!

There’s clearly something not quite right in the ability, regardless. Guessing it went through some revisions before publication and wound up with some text left over from an earlier version(s) where there was either a die roll or the mods were applied after halving.

1 Like

Different from the monsters that gave Lightning Lad and his sister their powers and probably different from the Space Whale that gave Ultra Boy his powers.
Ultra Boy who got his powers from being inside of a whale is named Jo Nah

2 Likes

On the subject of space whales, you folks have seen Pinnochio In Outer Space right? I hesitate to call it a good movie, but the ruined Martian cityscape is pretty impressive artistically and the scene with the mutant crabs fighting each other has stuck with me for nigh on to half a century now. Got a bit of a Mars and Beyond vibe to it, albeit with lower production values despite being nearly a decade later than Disney’s effort.

And don’t forget their villainous brother Mekt, alias Lightning Lord! (Gosh, how many people can you retcon into being at one super-empowering accident?) : )

Yeah, I always found that funny. The other bit of Legionnaire wordplay that comes to mind is the fact that Matter-Eater Lad is from the planet Bismoll. : D

No, I have not.

1 Like

Not really a retcon, but my SCRPG campaigns have consistently had a big concert as part of their history where a super-musician accidentally gave a big chunk of the audience and crew powers, some of which wore off, some of which didn’t. So far that one incident has spawned eight different villains, three NPC sort-of-heroes, two PC heroes, and an indeterminate number of other folks who slipped through attempts by the government to identify and (if possible) de-power concert-goers.

There were no lightning monsters or even a giant space whale involved, though.

2 Likes

It’s time for our next environment. And this time, it’s gonna be a good one!

Time Cataclysm
Date: Varies
Time Since the Cataclysm Began: Inapplicable
Time Until the Cataclysm Ends: Inapplicable
Times Currently Colliding: 2230, 2101, 2029, 2023, 1940, 1883, 1604, 1341, 117,
Quantum Superimposition Flux Coefficient: 6.437Δ ± ∞

Someone broke time. Again.

Wether they were caused by a scientific doomsday device, a chrono-magical ritual, a meddling Singular Entity, or a temporal pirate captain, most Time Cataclysms look roughly the same.

Dozens or even hundreds of conflicting histories, alternate presents, and divergent possible futures collide together in a big wibbly wobbly, timey wimey mess. Time, space, and even reality begin to break down. People from all eras of history and futurity are pulled to the temporal epicentre. Alternate universes seep into this one.

If the heroes can mobilise quickly enough, and work together well enough, they might have a chance at stopping a complete chronol implosion.

But whatever happens, worlds will live, worlds will die, and time will never be the same.

Time Cataclysm
Colliding Futures :d10:
Conflicting Pasts :d10:
Reality Fractured :d12:

Green
Minor Twists

• F.I.L.T.E.R. Agent: The multiversal organization F.I.L.T.E.R. has dispatched one of its agents to investigate the temporal fluctuations in the area. Introduce 1 F.I.L.T.E.R. Agent minion (see below) to the scene.
  • Time-Displaced Combatant: Someone from the past or a potential future has been flung into the present. Introduce 1 Time-Displaced minion (see below) to the scene.

Major Twist

• Temporal Variant: An alternate version of one of the heroes has been shifted into this reality. Introduce 1 Hero Alternate lieutenant (see below) to the scene.

Yellow
Minor Twists

• Time-Displaced Conflux: A myriad of different people have all been torn from their native times and appear in the present. Roll the environment dice. Introduce a number of Time-Displaced minions (see below) to the scene equal to the Mid die.
  • Timeline Fluctuation: Ambient temporal energies replace one hero with an alternate version of themself. Select one hero. Replace that hero’s highest Power and highest Quality of your choice with a different Power and a different Quality, either chosen by you or determined randomly. The Power and Quality stay replaced until the scene’s zone changes.

Major Twist

• Deteriorating Reality: The very fabric of the space-time continuum is breaking apart! Advance the scene tracker by one space.

Red
Minor Twists

• Fixed Point in Time: This moment is a fixed point in time, and time itself resists any changes to it. Roll the environment dice. Hinder all targets in the scene with the Mid die.
  • Lost in Time: A hero is being pulled into another time! Roll the environment dice. Hinder one hero with the Mid die. That penalty is persistent and exclusive until the below challenge is completed.
    [ ] [ ] [ ] Prevent the hero from becoming lost in time
    If the scene tracker reaches its end before this challenge is completed, that hero is stranded in another period of time.

Major Twist

• Time Falls Apart: Time and reality are being shattered! Roll the environment dice. Attack all targets in the scene with the Max die.

Time Cataclysm Threats

F.I.L.T.E.R. Agent
:d10: Minion

Description
This agent of F.I.L.T.E.R. is a highly-trained operative assigned to investigate the current temporal anomalies.

Abilities
Tranq Gun: When the F.I.L.T.E.R. Agent Attacks a target, it may also Hinder that target with the same roll.

Tactics
Although the agent’s primary goal is to gather intel on the timeline, they will not hesitate to take this opportunity to collect some superpowered specimens.

Hero Alternate
:d10: Lieutenant

Description
A version of one of the heroes from a disparate reality has arrived!

Abilities
Super-Schtick: The Hero Alternate has +3 to [one basic action or save rolls].
Temporal Instability: If the Hero Alternate rolls a 1 during an action, reduce its die by one size.

Tactics
Despite hailing from another universe, this hero has the same ideals as their counterpart native to this timeline. If you like, you may give control of this lieutenant to the player of the hero whom it is an analog of.

Time Cataclysm Threats: Time-Displaced Minions

Android
:d8: Minion

Description
This futuristic robotic facsimile of humanity is unwavering in carrying out its orders.

Abilities
Adaptive Algorithms: After the Android rolls a damage save, it Boosts itself using that roll.

Tactics
For more advanced than today’s crude robo-forms, the Android is able to process complex stimuli and calculate the optimal course of action.

Cyber-Trooper

Description
Hailing from a not-too-distant possible future, this soldier has been fitted with so many cybernetic enhancements that it is now more machine than man.

Abilities
Technological Interface: The Cyber-Trooper has +2 to Overcome and Hinder actions targeting mechanical targets.

Tactics
The Cyber-Trooper tries to use its techno-organic implants to interface with technology in order to achieve its directives.

Gunslinger

Description
Hailing from the American Old West, this Gunslinger has remarkable aiming skills.

Abilities
Dual Six-Shooters: When the Gunslinger Attacks, it may Attack up to 2 target in range.

Tactics
The Gunslinger relies on its wits and guns to get it out of trouble.

Knight

Description
This mounted warrior has been trained by the best and uses the best armour and weapons.

Abilities
Plate Armour: The Knight has +2 to save rolls.

Tactics
An expert with the blade, the Knight is adept at dueling a single adversary.

Mutated Survivor
:d6: Minion

Description
In one potential future, Earth has suffered a tragic nuclear armageddon. From that world hails this wretched, mutated being.

Abilities
Radioactivity: After the Mutated Survivor rolls a damage save from an Attack at close range, it Hinders the attacker with that roll.

Tactics
This once-human monstrosity feebly flails at any potential prey.

Primitive Hunter

Description
What some would incorrectly dub a “caveman,” this human from prehistoric times is nonetheless a fierce brute.

Abilities
Fight, not Flight: After the Primitive Hunter is Attacked, it gains a +2 bonus to its next Attack action.

Tactics
The hunter is likely very confused from being flung into this time, and will likely go berserk and madly start attacking.

Roman Legionnaire

Description
This soldier is a member of the legendary Roman legions, feared for their martial prowess.

Abilities
Shield Wall: The Roman Legionnaire has +1 to save rolls for every Roman Legionnaire nearby, including itself (up to a maximum bonus of +3).

Tactics
Romans are used to fighting in formation, and will do so if they can. However, a lone legionnaire will still do its best to fight for the glory of Rome.

Space Explorer

Description
In the potential future from which this fearless space explorer comes, humanity has dared to venture up through the stars, going where no man has gone before.

Abilities
Stun Phaser: The Space Explorer has +2 to Hinder actions.

Tactics
The Space Explorer tries to peacefully interact with the natives of the strange new world it now finds itself in, while trying not to contaminate its society with its advanced technology.

Swashbuckler

Description
This scallawag has sailed the high seas and crossed cutlasses with many ne’er-do-wells.

Abilities
Flynning: The Swashbuckler has +2 to Boost actions targeting itself.

Tactics
The Swashbuckler is equally adept at dueling a single opponent and holding off many foes, as well as making creative use of the environment.

WWII Flying Ace

Description
An expert pilot and an expert shot all rolled into one.

Abilities
Aerial Acrobatics: When making a save roll while flying, the WWII Flying Ace can roll its die twice and use the higher result.

Tactics
The pilot prefers to stay high above the fight, raining down bullets on those below.

Editor’s Notes

This environment has a fair number more allusions to other works of fiction than most. Can you spot them all?

And yes, I know that Sentinel Comics does not have as many temporal catastrophes as some other comic book companies do, but I figured that there was still a considerable amount.

If the Lost in Time twist activates and its challenge does not get completed, it could be the basis for a whole other issue or issues.

I particularly like the Timeline Fluctuations twist. I think that the Power- and Quality-switching was quite a clever way to represent a hero being transformed into their own alternate.

The Time Cataclysm is probably going to have the most minions out of all of my environments, with a whopping twelve. Speaking of minions, each of the Time-Displaced minions more or less matches up with one of the years listed in this environment’s infobox.

Next Environment: Realm of Fantasy!

3 Likes

I liked Time Cataclysm so much it inspired me to write up a supervillain specifically to be used with it - and then another potential world-breaking disaster that he could also show up for.

Johnny Crisis

1 Like

Wow, thanks! Johnny Crisis does look neat.

1 Like

Thanks. Look forward to seeing you next environment. They always take me more effort than villains or heroes do.

Johnny’s a first for me, a villain who just about never uses his own dice for anything in an action scene. Showcases how atypical Domain archetype villains can be. Also the only Creator approach baddie I’ve done that has no inherent way to produce minions, since he’s meant to be used in environs that can generate them with twists he can trigger. Makes him even more of an aberration.

1 Like

Yes, I have seen similar views expressed by other Game Moderators who’ve run the Sentinel Comics RPG. I suspect that this is because Environment creation is significantly less structured. You basically have to create everything from scratch (more or less), compared to the option-choosing that Hero and Villain creation is.

I don’t think that I personally find Environments more difficult. Although I have not actually created many Environment for use in games, so my data may likely be skewed somewhat.

This sentence has given me the tangential idea of making a Villain that has no Action Abilities, full stop. Maybe I’ll do that eventually.

You need not look forward any more, intrepid reader! For here it is!

Realm of Fantasy
Government: Feudalism
Law Enforcement: Knights
Majority Occupation: Farming
Technology Level: Pre-Renaissance
Mana Level: 300%

This is a land of magic and monsters. At first glance, it appears similar to Europe during the Middle Ages, but further inspection will reveal that it is in fact quite different.

Here, magic is commonplace. It has largely eclipsed science as humanity’s primary tool. Additionally, savage and fierce monstrosities prowl the dark night and the deepest dungeons — Dragons, Trolls, Goblins, and more. But all in this land is not evil; for there are companies of shining knights, chivalrous and true, who patrol the countryside and mete out justice to any vile evildoers who would threaten their liege lord’s peasantry.

Realm of Fantasy
Fantastic Beasts :d10:
Land of Magic :d10:
Medieval Society :d8:

Green
Minor Twists

• Ambient Mana: This land is flush with magical energy. Roll the environment dice. Boost all targets taking actions using magic with the Min die until the next environment turn.
  • Scientific Antithesis: This land is innately very resistant to science and technology. Roll the environment dice. Hinder all targets taking actions using scientific principles or technological devices with the Min die until the next environment turn.

Major Twist

• Champions of Chivalry: A company of noble knights have arrived to do battle with any evil knaves present. Roll the environment dice. Introduce a number of Knight minions (see below) to the scene equal to the Min die.

Yellow
Minor Twists

• Goblin Raid: A pack of goblins thinks that the heroes will make an easy target for burglary. They are likely wrong. Roll the environment dice. Introduce a number of Goblin minions (see below) to the scene equal to the Mid die.
  • Suspicious Villagers: A group of local peasants mistake the heroes’ superpowers for witchcraft, and form an angry mob around them. Each hero must complete the following challenge individually.
    [ ] Escape the mob
    Until the above challenge is completed for a hero, that hero cannot affect or be affected by anything outside of the mob.

Major Twist

• Troll’s Bridge: The villain(s) have fled across a bridge, but when the heroes try to pursue, they are stopped by a hulking Troll that tells them that they must answer three riddles before they can cross his bridge. Alternatively, they could simply fight their way past the troll, or find another way across the river.
    [ ] [ ] [ ] Answer the Troll’s three riddles to cross the bridge
    -OR-
    [ ] [ ] Fight the Troll or find another way across the river
    If a hero attempts to Overcome the second option, the first option becomes unavailable. Additionally, when a hero takes a minor twist while Overcoming the second option, also Attack that hero with the single Fantastic Beasts die.

Red
Minor Twists

• A Helpful Wanderer: A robed, white-bearded stranger approaches the heroes. He dispenses some helpful advice, a useful trinket, or a minor charm before wandering away again. Roll the environment dice. Either Boost one hero with the Max+Min dice or Boost all the heroes with the Mid die.
  • Dark and Tangled Woods: The battle has temporarily strayed into a thick forest, making it harder for the combatants to hit each-other with their attacks. Roll the environment dice. Defend all targets being Attacked by ranged attacks with the Mid die until the next environment turn.

Major Twist

• The Great Wyrm: With a thunderous roar, an ancient Dragon awakens from its years-long slumber to once again terrorise the countryside. The Dragon soars into the sky and exhales a blast of its fearsome breath weapon upon the land below. Introduce 1 Dragon lieutenant (see below) to the scene. Then, roll the environment dice and Attack all other targets in the scene with the Mid die.

Realm of Fantasy Threats

Dragon
:d12: Lieutenant

Description
Thought to be related to lesser reptiles, Dragons inhabit diverse ecosystems, including forests, tundra, mountains, deserts, swamps, and the sea. All Dragons are equipped with a destructive breath weapon and an aura that projects fear upon their foes.

Abilities
Breath Weapon: The Dragon has one of the following abilities:

• Cold Breath: When the Dragon Attacks a target, it may also Hinder that target with the same roll.
  • Electric Breath: The Dragon has +3 to Attack actions.
  • Flame Breath: When the Dragon Attacks, it may Attack up to 3 targets within range.
  • Poison Breath: When the Dragon Hinders, the resulting penalty is persistent and exclusive.

Draconic Presence: Targets near the Dragon have a -1 penalty on all actions.

Tactics
Dragons fear no one, and so attack with impunity. They can slash and bite and smash their ways through entire armies with ease.

Goblin

Description
Goblins are small, humanoid monsters that often raid and pillage small settlements.

Abilities
Pack Tactics: A Goblin has +1 to Attack actions while it has at least one nearby ally.

Tactics
Goblins work best in groups. Individually, they are quite weak, but together they know how to overwhelm considerably larger foes.

Knight

Description
Knights are chivalrous nobles who have trained themselves in the arts of combat and horsemanship, and have sworn to defend the innocents of the land.

Abilities
Plate Armour: Knights have +2 to save rolls.

Tactics
Knights fight fiercely from atop their brave steeds in their never-ending quest to vanquish evil.

Editor’s Notes

Just for your edification, the “Mana Level: 300%” thing in this environment’s infobox was just my way of saying, “This place is super magical.” Universe 1 might have a “Mana Level” of 100%, possibly?

I think that the two Green zone minor twists are nifty. I wanted a way to show that magic is simply stronger here, and that technology doesn’t seem to work very well here, for some reason. One would probably get he most out of these twist if the heroes’ ranks included both magic-users and technology-users.

I also like the Troll’s Bridge twist. It is a challenge with two different branches that the heroes could pursue. One of them is shorter, but pursuing it will likely incur the troll’s wrath. And, of course, if you start fighting the troll or trying to find a way around his bridge, he’s not going to let you or your allies hear the riddles.

I’ll admit that the Goblins and Dragon in this environment are based upon how those creatures are depicted in the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game, especially the Dragon’s fear aura and different breath weapon choices.

Also, the Knights’ stats are basically identical to the Knight minions from my Time Cataclysm above.

One could use this environment in the very unlikely event that one would like to set a game in my Sentinels of the Realm setting. (Although I would likely modify it before doing so.)

And, lastly, you may notice that a few things are missing that you might expect to be in a fantasy setting — Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits Halflings, Orcs, Wizards, Clerics, or Rogues, for instance. Well, that is because I was going for a more “classic” fantasy setting with this environment — just knights, dragons, et cetera — compared to a “modern” fantasy setting. I suppose that I may have some desire to make something out of the latter, though.

Next Environment: Swamp Ritual Site!

1 Like

Looks good. Would work well for a straight Arthurian environment as well, albeit perhaps with the goblins being reskinned into brigands. Expect the Champions of Chivalry might be best dealt with through Overcomes to convince them that our heroes are not, in fact, evil knaves. Like the fact the dragon’s breath weapons will potentially have some interaction with hero energy powers - and the Toxic material power for poison breath. If there’s a Domain or Titan archetype villain in the scene that can activate environmental twists you can bet they’ll be waking the dragon up ASAP - which could be round three for Domains.

IIRC I managed to do at least one with only a single Action ability, everything else being Inherents (or Innate? never recall which the I stands for) and Reactions, but that was more accident than intent.

1 Like

Agreed. Although I would likely make an entirely different environment for Arthurian Britain with more appropriate twists.

True, that could definitely work, although there are two possibilities that you may have overlooked:

1. The Knights need not necessarily be hostile to the Heroes. Some environment twists are allowed to be entirely advantageous for the Heroes. If I were running this environment, I think I’d have them be friendly.
  2. However, if we are going with the misunderstood-knavery angle, the Heroes could still deal with the Knights with Attack actions, but have them made with, say, Presence + Persuasion, rather than Strength + Close Combat.

Yes, as do I. A Dragon trying to freeze Absolute Zero is a bad idea. I would go so far as to make sure that, if the any of the Heroes have powers that interact with energy types, the Dragon would have a matching breath weapon.

1 Like

Yeah, I try to do that pretty regularly myself when there are PC abilities in play that care about energy types. Not 100% of the time, but often enough that they don’t always have to use Overcomes to bring them into play somehow. No objection to (say) the heroes ripping down a power line so they can heal off their Electricity damage inversion trick, but sometimes they deserve to get some benefit for free.

The twist on that one is usually a big bill from the local utility company for gratuitously damaging their equipment, or angry citizens showing up later to protest the latest supers-induced blackout. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And now for something a little different . . .

Swamp Ritual Site
Wildlife: Crocodiles, mosquitoes, herons, zombies, tree monsters
Terrain: Mixture of mud, vegetation, and toxic waste
Frequent Visitors: The Cult of Gloom, goth teenagers
Purpose: Performing foul rites of unspeakable magicks, picnics
Refreshments: IPAs

The villainous Cult of Gloom is at it again. Their members have congregated in a foul swamp, gathered the necessary mystical ingredients, and have begun another one of their trademarked evil rituals.

What are they up to this time? Are they once again attempting to free their dark lord and master GloomWeaver from his imprisonment in the extradimensional Realm of Discord, or are they attempting some other mysterious, arcane rite? Either way, our intrepid heroes will have their hands full dealing with all the cultists, stopping the ritual, and navigating the hazardous mires of the swamp.

Swamp Ritual Site
The Cult of Gloom :d8:
Dark Magic :d10:
Swampy Terrain :d6:

Green
Minor Twists

• A Sticky Situation: Someone stumbles into a previously-unseen sinkhole. Roll the environment dice. Hinder one target with the Mid die.
  • Lost Relic: Someone finds a magical artefact that has been lost in the swamp’s murky depths for years. Roll the environment dice. Boost one target with the Mid die.

Major Twist

• The Grove That Walks Like a Man: The lumbering, magic-infused mass of vegetation known as Man-Grove wanders into the fray. Introduce Man-Grove (see below) to the scene.

Yellow
Minor Twists

• Gathering Cult: Members of the Cult of Gloom arrive to fight back against the heroes. Roll the environment dice. Introduce a number of Gloom Cultist minions (see below) to the scene equal to the Mid die.
  • Risen Dead: The present cultists use their dark powers to raise some of the many corpses that lay rotting in the foul swamp as undead servitors. Roll the environment dice. Introduce a number of Zombie minions (see below) to the scene equal to the Max die.

Major Twist

• Hasten the Ritual: The cultists of GloomWeaver redouble their arcane efforts. Advance the scene tracker by one space.

Red
Minor Twists

• Aura of Power: The Cult’s infernal ritual charges the air with magic. Roll the environment dice. Boost all magic creatures and magic-users with the Mid die.
  • Necromantic Wave: The dark ritual generates a devastating pulse of infernal energy. Roll the environment dice. Attack all targets in the scene with the Mid die.

Major Twist

• Extraplanar Portal: The ritual conjures a swirling portal to the Realm of Discord, which immediately pulls several people through. Select up to four targets, and move them to the Realm of Discord.
    [ ] [ ] [ ] Escape from the Realm of Discord
    If the above challenge has not been completed when the scene tracker reaches its end, the portal closes and those characters are trapped in the Realm of Discord!

Swamp Ritual Site Threats

Gloom Cultist

Description
These misguided souls have, for one reason or another, joined up with the Cult of Gloom.

Abilities
Fanaticism: Gloom Cultists have +1 to Attack actions, Hinder actions, and save rolls while a higher-ranking cultist is nearby.

Tactics
The Cultists’ devotion to GloomWeaver drives them to do everything they can in service to their dark master.

Man-Grove
:d10: Lieutenant

Description
Man-Grove was once a simple grove of trees. But now, thanks to toxic waste and dark magic, it is a hulking mass of writhing vines and creaking limbs that walks like a man.

Abilities
Strength of the Swamps: As an action, Man-Grove can increase its die by one size (maximum :d12:).
Swinging Limbs: When Man-Grove Attacks, it can Attack up to 2 nearby targets.

Tactics
Man-Grove is more instinctual than logical, and it is not inherently hostile, so it only engages characters who try to harm it.

Zombie

Description
These undead servants were originally corpses that were animated by dark magicks.

Abilities
Walking Dead: Zombies have +2 to save rolls.

Tactics
Being mindless servitors, zombies typically shamble towards whomever their masters direct them to.

Editor’s Notes

The first four environments that I’ve posted in this thread have been fairly generic — Gang Hideout, Deep Space, Time Cataclysm, and Realm of Fantasy. They don’t really have much story attached, could represented several different locations, and could be utilized in a range of different issues.

This environment, however, breaks that trend. It is a specific place with a specific event and story tied to it. Now, of course, that does not mean that one could not use it for other similar locations, but the distinction remains (in my mind, at least).

I do expect that the remaining environments that I shall post here will be more like this one than the previous ones.

Now, I do realise that making more specific environments is somewhat less useful for other GMs out there, but if I’m being honest, I’m doing this thread to share the environments that I want to make.

Anyways, speaking of plots, this environment should likely be accompanied by one or more Challenges for the heroes to thwart the Cult’s magical machinations.

Here’s a fun fact: this environment was actually the first of these that I came up with.

I was original going to include a couple of twists about the swamp life (crocs, bugs, etc.), but I was short on room, so I opted to cut them in favour of what I think are more evocative twists.

So, I may have overused the “grove that walks like a man” line just a little bit, but it’s my environment so shush. And as is mentioned in Man-Grove’s Tactics section, it only really attacks those who harm it. (I’m unsure as to wether this is canonical or not, but it’s what I decided to go with.) This means that it could enter the scene and not attack anyone because no one has attacked it, but then the heroes could try to persuade it to help them, which I think is cool.

On the topic of Man-Grove, his Strength of the Swamps ability took me literally forever.* It went through many iterations, including some in which he could increase his die size when taking Boost, Defend, and/or Attack actions, and some where it happened in response to succeeding in a damage save. I think that the version that I ultimately ended up with is properly balanced.

I am aware that the Extraplanar Portal and Aura of Power twists are somewhat similar to the Lost in Time and Ambient Mana twists of my Time Cataclysm and Realm of Fantasy environments, respectively. But, what can you do? There are only so many possible twists.

Regarding the minions in this environment, I was originally going to have two varieties of cultist — spellcasters and non-spellcasters — but, as you can see, I changed that. Also, these Zombie minions are virtually identical to the Zombies that I posted over in my Iron Five thread.

Well, that seems like all for today!

*Figuratively speaking.

Next Environment: THE X-TREMEVERSE!!!

2 Likes

about the Swamp environment-
Remember in DC comics Slaughter Swamp outside of Gotham City has so much bad magic associated with it that most evil supervillain wizards stay out of Gotham

2 Likes

Looks good, and I don’t think it’s as “specific” as you say - I could easily re-skin elements for use as an arcane ritual outside of a swamp, for ex.

Man-Grove’s Strength of the Swamps seems about right to me, and questing for “balance” always seems a bit futile anyway. Style-wise I suspect it should have “(Max d12)” appended to it - it’s kind of obvious you can’t grow beyond the biggest die in the game, but the rulebook is pretty consistent about calling that out specifically.

1 Like

I was aware of Slaughter Swamp — mainly for its role in the creation of Solomon Grundy — but I haven’t heard that fact about it before. The more you know!

True, I do see your point. I suppose that the Sticky Situation and Man-Grove twists are really the only ones that necessitate the swamp’s presence.

Good point. I’ll go and append that now.

1 Like

Even those are easy to re-skin without mechanical change. Sticky Situation could just be a totally generic “Mystic Ward” or “Bad Feeling About This” or “Cursed Sigil Trap” or something. “Man-Grove” could show up as a some kind of strange other-dimensional intruder attracted by the ritual, not initially hostile but happy to feed on the ambient energies being stirred up. Or just have Man-Grove itself show up through the portal they’re trying to open when some arcane short-circuit momentarily connects the ritual location to its swampy home.

1 Like

Great ideas, @Chief_Lackey_Rich! Alternatively, Man-Grove could be replaced with a Portal Fiend.

1 Like

THE X-TREMEVERSE!!!
Annual Casualty Rate: Twice that of Universe 1
Most Popular Music Genre: Heavy Metal
Most Manufactured Products: Chains, spikes, pouches, guns, explosives

This is a reality different from Universe 1. A more X-TREME REALITY!

The world of the X-TREMEVERSE is indeed far different from the one you know. Here, everything is over-the-top in the most radical ways. Violence is prolific, and it appears that the world’s fashion, music, and culture have not moved on from the 1990’s.

This universe is home to the X-Treme States of America, much of which is a dusty wasteland crisscrossed by lonesome highways. The country’s largest city is the Neon City, which is a mega-city that definitely lives up to its name.

THE X-TREMEVERSE!!!
NINETIES AESTHETICS! :d8:
X-CESSIVE VIOLENCE! :d10:
X-TREME RESIDENTS! :d10:

Green
Minor Twists

• VIOLENT REALITY: This universe is much more X-TREME than most! Roll the environment dice. Boost all targets with the Min die.
  • X-TREME CIVILIAN: A relatively normal civilian enters the fray for no discernible reason! Introduce 1 X-TREMEVERSE Civilian minion (see below) to the scene.

Major Twist

• UN-X-PLAINABLE FIRES: For some reason, everything is one fire! Roll the environment dice. Attack one target with the Mid die and another target with the Min die.

Yellow
Minor Twists

• RAT RAGE: Several of those sick Road Rats ride up to the fight! Roll the environment dice. Introduce a number of Road Rat minions (see below) to the scene equal to the Mid die.
  • WICKED FIGHTING: This reality is naturally suited to spectacle! Roll the environment dice. Boost all targets with the Mid die.

Major Twist

• SPIKES EVERYWHERE: Why are there so many spikes? Roll the environment dice. Attack two targets using the Mid die.

Red
Minor Twists

• X-PATRIETTE BIKERS: A gang of X-Patriette clones arrive at the battle! Roll the environment dice. Introduce a number of X-Patriette Biker Clone minions (see below) to the scene equal to the Max die.
  • X-TREME CULMINATION: The X-TREMEVERSE is an intrinsically AWESOME place! Boost all targets with the Max die.

Major Twist

• IN-X-PLICABLE X-PLOSIONS: Everything is exploding! Roll the environment dice. Attack all targets in the scene with the Max+Min dice.

Road Rat

Description
These savage rodents inhabit the inhospitable wasteland that is much of the X.S.A.’s Midwest!

Abilities
GROUP FIGHTER: A Road Rat has +1 to Attack and Hinder actions while it has at least one nearby ally.

Tactics
The Road Rats prefer to do combat on the open road and in a group.

X-Patriette Biker Clone

Description
These clones of the ruthless X-Patriette prowl the sprawling Neon City.

Abilities
HECKA POWERFUL AMMO: X-Patriette Biker Clones have +3 to Boost actions targeting themselves.

Tactics
The X-Patriettes use their tricked-out guns, sharp aim, and grit against their opponents.

X-TREMEVERSE Civilian

Description
Even the normal Joes of the X-TREMEVERSE are X-TREME!

Abilities
X-TREME EVERYMAN: The X-TREMEVERSE Civilian has +2 to Attack actions and save rolls.

Tactics
An X-TREMEVERSE Civilian is likely to aid the heroes against their enemies.

Editor’s Notes

I may have gone a touch overboard with the CAPITALISATION, X’s, and X-CLAMATION POINTS!!! Oh well.

So, I do fear that this environment may be somewhat, well, bland. It was very tough thinking of ideas for twists. As you can see, each GYRO zone basically has an Attacking twist, a Boosting twist, and a minion-adding twist.

Oh, and if you have no idea what this environment is about, check this out.

Next Environment: Spirit Island

2 Likes