Fjur’s Environment Archive!

Greetings, forumites and roleplayers!

This is a thread in which I will be posting some Sentinel Comics RPG environments that I have created.

I just made these environments on a lark, not for use in any specific issues or stories. Some of them are incredibly generic and can likely be used in many different kinds of stories, whereas some of them are ultra-specific locations.

I expect to be able to post roughly one environment per week, but that number may slip up or down occasionally.

I expect to post approximately eight environments here. That number may go up or down if I get an idea for another environment, or give up on one of them. Once I’ve posted my initial eight, I may occasionally return to this thread to post any new environments I have created.

Environment Quicklinks:

Permission is (of course) granted for any GM to use, adapt, or remix any of these environments.

3 Likes

Here is the first (and probably most generic) of my environments. It’s a real disreputable nest of criminality!

Gang Hideout

Every gang needs a headquarters, and this is certainly one of them. It is filled to the brim with unscrupulous criminals, along with their ill-gotten goods and surpluses of weaponry.

Beyond that, though, this environment can be used to represent the HQ of many different kinds of gangs — it could be a dilapidated hideout in the seedy part of town, a secluded safe-house in the woods outside town, a dockside base disguised as a warehouse, or the high-tech compound of a corrupt celebrity.

Gang Hideout
Loads of Weapons :d8:
Lots of Crooks :d8:
Stolen Goods :d6:

Green
Minor Twists

• Hapless Crook: One of the gangsters has stumbled upon the characters. Introduce 1 Mean Streets Wrecker minion (see page 415 of the Core Rulebook) to the scene.
  • Stolen Super-Tech: Someone’s found some of the gang’s stolen technology and has decided to use it. Roll the environment dice. Boost one target with the Mid die.

Major Twist

• Sentry: One of the crooks has spotted the intruders, and rushes to raise the hideout’s alarm.
    [ ] Prevent the sentry from raising the alarm
    [ ] Challenge timer
    Triggered: Advance the scene tracker by one space.

Yellow
Minor Twists

• Coterie of Crooks: A group of crooks show up to defend their home base. Roll the environment dice. Introduce a number of Mean Streets Pugilist minions (see page 414 of the Core Rulebook) to the scene equal to the Mid die.
  • Suppresive Fire: The crooks present unleash a torrent of gunfire, pinning down any intruders. Roll the environment dice. Hinder all non-crook targets with the Min die.

Major Twist

• Metahuman Mercenary: A superpowered mercenary employed by the gang steps out to fulfill their contract, powering up before engaging. Introduce 1 :d8: lieutenant to the scene. Then, roll the environment dice and Boost that lieutenant with the Mid die.

Red
Minor Twists

• Firefight: The crooks open fire on all intruders in their base. Roll the environment dice. Attack all non-crook targets with the Mid die.
  • The Big Gun: The crooks have somehow gotten ahold of a very large and very powerful cannon.
    [ ] [ ] Disable the cannon
    Roll the environment dice and Attack one target with the Max die. Repeat this Attack on every environment turn until the above challenge is completed.

Major Twist

• This is Our Turf!: The crooks are determined to defend their turf. Roll the environment dice. Defend and Boost all crooks in the scene with the Mid die. That bonus is persistent and exclusive.

Next Environment: Deep Space!

3 Likes

Looks good!

1 Like

Thanks, @Chief_Lackey_Rich!

Now onto my second environment: SPAAAAAAAAACE!

Deep Space
Distance from Earth: ≈20 light-years
Number of Planets: ≈350
Number of Planets Inhabited by Life: ≈190
Number of Planets Inhabited by Intelligent Life: ≈120
Number of Titanic Space Monsters: 1

For one reason or another, the heroes have boldly gone to a galaxy far, far away. The sector of space that they have ventured to is populated by myriads of planets, the majority of which are home to strange alien life-forms. Several alien civilisations also ply the spaceways in sleek, retro-futuristic starcraft. Unfortunately, many such aliens will be hostile to the heroes. Additionally, cosmic phenomena such as asteroids, solar flares, and cosmic rays are extremely hazardous to spacefarers.

Deep Space
Alien Life :d10:
Airless Vacuum :d6:
Cosmic Phenomena :d12:

Green
Minor Twists

• Alien Fighters: A squad of hostile alien fighter ships encounters the characters. Roll the environment dice. Introduce a number of Alien Fighter minions (see below) to the scene equal to the Min die.
  • Cosmic Rays: Cosmic radiation bathes one character, changing them in most fantastic ways. Roll the environment dice. Boost one target with the Mid die, and Attack them with the Min die.

Major Twist

• Alien Cruiser: A titanic, hostile alien spaceship arrives at the battle. Introduce 1 Alien Cruiser lieutenant (see below) to the scene.

Yellow
Minor Twists

• Asteroid Storm: The combatants are pelted by a storm of asteroids. Roll the environment dice. Attack all targets with the Min die.
  • Imperiled Refugees: Spacecraft carrying alien refugees become threatened by cosmic hazards or hostile aliens.
    [ ] [ ] Save the refugee ships
    [ ] [ ] [ ] Challenge timer
    Triggered: The innocent refugees meet an untimely demise, and the heroes are disheartened by their failure. Roll the environment dice and Hinder all heroes with the Min die.

Major Twist

• Space Beast: A gigantic, slumbering alien monstrosity has been awoken, and it wastes no time in finding its next meal. Introduce 1 Space Beast lieutenant (see below) to the scene. Then, roll the environment dice and Attack the tastiest target with the Mid die.

Red
Minor Twists

• Solar Flare: Energy from a nearby sun lashes out at some of the characters. Roll the environment dice. Attack two targets near each-other with the Mid+Min dice.
  • Star War: Two massive fleets of alien ships are engaged in an intense battle, and the characters are caught in the crossfire. Roll the environment dice. Attack all targets in the scene with the Mid die.

Major Twist

• Black Hole: The characters become caught in the gravity well of a supermassive singularity! Roll the environment dice. Hinder all targets in the scene with the Mid die. That penalty is persistent and exclusive.

Deep Space Threats

Alien Cruiser
:d10: Lieutenant

Description
A very large spacecraft like this one is usually the flagship of an alien starfleet. It possess advanced energy-projection weaponry and has dozens of deployable fighter ships onboard.

Abilities
Fighter Deployment Hatches: At the end of its turn, the Alien Cruiser can add 1 Alien Fighter minion (see below) to the scene.
Photon Barrage: When the Alien Cruiser Attacks, it can Attack multiple targets in range.

Tactics
The Cruiser is large but slow. However, what it lacks in manoeuvrability, it more than makes up for in firepower.

Alien Fighter
:d8: Minion

Description
These single-pilot ships are sleek, small, and fast, and make up the bulk of most alien starfleets.

Evasive Manoeuvres: Alien Fighters have +1 to their save rolls.

Tactics
The Fighters work best when they’re flying in formation, as each one’s individual firepower is fairly weak.

Space Beast
:d12: Lieutenant

Description
This cosmic monster is truly colossal, and its primordial might is of cataclysmic proportions.

Gigantic Maw: If the Space Beast rolls its die’s maximum value on an Attack, the target of that Attack is swallowed by it. A swallowed target’s actions can only affect itself, the Space Beast, and any other swallowed targets. A target can escape when either the Space Beast’s die degrades or when a successful Overcome action is used to free it.

Tactics
The Beast angrily attacks whoever has woken it from its millennia-long slumber, along with anyone else who dares to draw its ire.

Editor’s Notes
This environment does not represent one specific sector of space. Instead — much like the Gang Hideout above — it can be used for many different cosmic locations.

Also, when using this environment, feel free to replace the unnamed aliens in it with specific alien species or cultures of your choice.

The Airless Vacuum trait is only a small :d6:, because honestly, it doesn’t seem to usually be too much of a problem in comic books. Superheroes (and villains) are usually assumed to have some excuse for why they needn’t breath air, wether it’s plain ol’-fashioned spacesuits, a more sleek super-science gadget, magic, or a non-human nature.

The Cosmic Rays twist is of course a reference to the Fantastic Four. It even echoes the lyrics of the theme song of that team’s excellent ‘90s animated TV show.

And the Space Beast was actually inspired by a monster that the Legion of Super-Heroes once fought, that cost Lightning Lad his right arm in one of my personal favourite Legion stories — The Super-Moby Dick of Space. Yes, that was really its name.

Speaking of the Space Beast, I am very happy with its Gigantic Maw Ability. It seems quite flavourful, to me.

Next Environment: Time Cataclysm!

1 Like

Gigantic Maw is indeed flavorful, but:

Unlikely as it is to happen, I think I’d let a swallowed target affect anyone else who’s also been swallowed. I guess the thing could have multiple stomachs (Giant Space Cow?) though.

Also, the fact that it only triggers on a max die roll makes it more likely to happen as the beast gets weaker, which feels kind of backward. Maybe have it trigger on an 8+ roll instead?

The Alien Cruiser is also neat, but given how effective Photon Barrage is, it’s probably not going to want to use Fighter Deployment Hatches often if ever. Maybe make FDH just a free minion creation thing that pops out whenever it gets to act? One per round isn’t all that scary, but the PB sure is.

Other than those quibbles, looks great. Space in comics is always busy.

2 Likes

Oh, absolutely. I hadn’t thought of that.

My reasoning was that, as the creature gets more wounded, it becomes more desperate and feral.

Hmm, yeah, I can see your point. 1 :d8: Minion for an Action isn’t that great. (On the other hand, that is comparable to what Minion-Maker heroes usually get.) Your solution could work. Another option I’m considering is letting it roll its die twice and add fighters equal to the lower roll.

1 Like

That could work. The metric for minion deployment is totally different between heroes, villains and lieutenants anyway. A villain can easily put out 10 or more minions with one action and a good die roll (or bonus support) and lieutenants that do minions as their schtick can create half their die roll worth (as a villainous vehicle upgrade, anyway - could be the full roll for the regular type if you wanted, but that might be too much). With Photon Barrage being so strong the minion creation thing either needs to be potent too or act as a rider effect to doing something else.

1 Like

Well, now I’m curious as to how many minions minions in the Core Rulebook can make. Let’s see:

• An Alien Teleport Beacon (p. 150) can add :h: :d6: minions.
  • A Minion-Maker Clone (p. 289) can add a number of :d6: minions equal to half its die roll.
  • An Ember Shaman (p. 411) can add a number of :d12: minions equal to the lower of two of its die rolls.
  • A Demonoid Insect (p. 413) can add a number of :d4: minions equal to its full die.

Reading the Villainous Vehicle Upgrade’s Minion Deployment ability, I think that you might’ve misread it. It says to add minions “equal to half (rounded down) the vehicle’s current die size.” {Emphasis mine.} So, if it was a :d10:, it would always add 5 minions. It wouldn’t roll its die for anything.

Anyway, I’ve decided to go with your original suggestion of letting the Alien Cruiser add 1 new fighter minion every turn.

1 Like

Oop, you’re right, misread the Villainous Vehicle minion deployment option.

Certainly is a varied lot of mechanics for lieutenants that put out minions, isn’t it?

1 Like

um… why does it say ‘round down’ on the villainous vehicle upgrade? Die size is always an even number, right?

1 Like

Hmm…if there are mods in effect, they apply to the number of minions created, but unless they get applied before halving that wouldn’t matter - so I guess they probably do apply before you halve the total (which could get you an odd number to halve and round down)? Kind of a weird situation already, since there’s no actual die roll so you wouldn’t normally apply mods, I think.

1 Like

The full text of the ability in question reads

Add minions to an existing group equal to half (rounded down) the vehicle’s current die size. Those minions are of a size equal to the highest die size already existing in that group. If the vehicle has a bonus or penalty, adjust the number of minions created by that amount and then remove that mid.

Yes, that logic is sound, but the ability specifically says to adjust the number of minions created, not the effective die size.

So, if a :d12: vehicle with a -3 penalty uses the ability, what I think would happen is:
12 ÷ 2 = 6
6 - 3 = 3 minions

Not this:
12 - 3 = 9
9 ÷ 2 = 4.5, rounded down to 4 minions

1 Like

There’s clearly something not quite right in the ability, regardless. Guessing it went through some revisions before publication and wound up with some text left over from an earlier version(s) where there was either a die roll or the mods were applied after halving.

1 Like

Different from the monsters that gave Lightning Lad and his sister their powers and probably different from the Space Whale that gave Ultra Boy his powers.
Ultra Boy who got his powers from being inside of a whale is named Jo Nah

2 Likes

On the subject of space whales, you folks have seen Pinnochio In Outer Space right? I hesitate to call it a good movie, but the ruined Martian cityscape is pretty impressive artistically and the scene with the mutant crabs fighting each other has stuck with me for nigh on to half a century now. Got a bit of a Mars and Beyond vibe to it, albeit with lower production values despite being nearly a decade later than Disney’s effort.

And don’t forget their villainous brother Mekt, alias Lightning Lord! (Gosh, how many people can you retcon into being at one super-empowering accident?) : )

Yeah, I always found that funny. The other bit of Legionnaire wordplay that comes to mind is the fact that Matter-Eater Lad is from the planet Bismoll. : D

No, I have not.

1 Like

Not really a retcon, but my SCRPG campaigns have consistently had a big concert as part of their history where a super-musician accidentally gave a big chunk of the audience and crew powers, some of which wore off, some of which didn’t. So far that one incident has spawned eight different villains, three NPC sort-of-heroes, two PC heroes, and an indeterminate number of other folks who slipped through attempts by the government to identify and (if possible) de-power concert-goers.

There were no lightning monsters or even a giant space whale involved, though.

2 Likes

It’s time for our next environment. And this time, it’s gonna be a good one!

Time Cataclysm
Date: Varies
Time Since the Cataclysm Began: Inapplicable
Time Until the Cataclysm Ends: Inapplicable
Times Currently Colliding: 2230, 2101, 2029, 2023, 1940, 1883, 1604, 1341, 117,
Quantum Superimposition Flux Coefficient: 6.437Δ ± ∞

Someone broke time. Again.

Wether they were caused by a scientific doomsday device, a chrono-magical ritual, a meddling Singular Entity, or a temporal pirate captain, most Time Cataclysms look roughly the same.

Dozens or even hundreds of conflicting histories, alternate presents, and divergent possible futures collide together in a big wibbly wobbly, timey wimey mess. Time, space, and even reality begin to break down. People from all eras of history and futurity are pulled to the temporal epicentre. Alternate universes seep into this one.

If the heroes can mobilise quickly enough, and work together well enough, they might have a chance at stopping a complete chronol implosion.

But whatever happens, worlds will live, worlds will die, and time will never be the same.

Time Cataclysm
Colliding Futures :d10:
Conflicting Pasts :d10:
Reality Fractured :d12:

Green
Minor Twists

• F.I.L.T.E.R. Agent: The multiversal organization F.I.L.T.E.R. has dispatched one of its agents to investigate the temporal fluctuations in the area. Introduce 1 F.I.L.T.E.R. Agent minion (see below) to the scene.
  • Time-Displaced Combatant: Someone from the past or a potential future has been flung into the present. Introduce 1 Time-Displaced minion (see below) to the scene.

Major Twist

• Temporal Variant: An alternate version of one of the heroes has been shifted into this reality. Introduce 1 Hero Alternate lieutenant (see below) to the scene.

Yellow
Minor Twists

• Time-Displaced Conflux: A myriad of different people have all been torn from their native times and appear in the present. Roll the environment dice. Introduce a number of Time-Displaced minions (see below) to the scene equal to the Mid die.
  • Timeline Fluctuation: Ambient temporal energies replace one hero with an alternate version of themself. Select one hero. Replace that hero’s highest Power and highest Quality of your choice with a different Power and a different Quality, either chosen by you or determined randomly. The Power and Quality stay replaced until the scene’s zone changes.

Major Twist

• Deteriorating Reality: The very fabric of the space-time continuum is breaking apart! Advance the scene tracker by one space.

Red
Minor Twists

• Fixed Point in Time: This moment is a fixed point in time, and time itself resists any changes to it. Roll the environment dice. Hinder all targets in the scene with the Mid die.
  • Lost in Time: A hero is being pulled into another time! Roll the environment dice. Hinder one hero with the Mid die. That penalty is persistent and exclusive until the below challenge is completed.
    [ ] [ ] [ ] Prevent the hero from becoming lost in time
    If the scene tracker reaches its end before this challenge is completed, that hero is stranded in another period of time.

Major Twist

• Time Falls Apart: Time and reality are being shattered! Roll the environment dice. Attack all targets in the scene with the Max die.

Time Cataclysm Threats

F.I.L.T.E.R. Agent
:d10: Minion

Description
This agent of F.I.L.T.E.R. is a highly-trained operative assigned to investigate the current temporal anomalies.

Abilities
Tranq Gun: When the F.I.L.T.E.R. Agent Attacks a target, it may also Hinder that target with the same roll.

Tactics
Although the agent’s primary goal is to gather intel on the timeline, they will not hesitate to take this opportunity to collect some superpowered specimens.

Hero Alternate
:d10: Lieutenant

Description
A version of one of the heroes from a disparate reality has arrived!

Abilities
Super-Schtick: The Hero Alternate has +3 to [one basic action or save rolls].
Temporal Instability: If the Hero Alternate rolls a 1 during an action, reduce its die by one size.

Tactics
Despite hailing from another universe, this hero has the same ideals as their counterpart native to this timeline. If you like, you may give control of this lieutenant to the player of the hero whom it is an analog of.

Time Cataclysm Threats: Time-Displaced Minions

Android

Description
This futuristic robotic facsimile of humanity is unwavering in carrying out its orders.

Abilities
Adaptive Algorithms: After the Android rolls a damage save, it Boosts itself using that roll.

Tactics
For more advanced than today’s crude robo-forms, the Android is able to process complex stimuli and calculate the optimal course of action.

Cyber-Trooper

Description
Hailing from a not-too-distant possible future, this soldier has been fitted with so many cybernetic enhancements that it is now more machine than man.

Abilities
Technological Interface: The Cyber-Trooper has +2 to Overcome and Hinder actions targeting mechanical targets.

Tactics
The Cyber-Trooper tries to use its techno-organic implants to interface with technology in order to achieve its directives.

Gunslinger

Description
Hailing from the American Old West, this Gunslinger has remarkable aiming skills.

Abilities
Dual Six-Shooters: When the Gunslinger Attacks, it may Attack up to 2 target in range.

Tactics
The Gunslinger relies on its wits and guns to get it out of trouble.

Knight

Description
This mounted warrior has been trained by the best and uses the best armour and weapons.

Abilities
Plate Armour: The Knight has +2 to save rolls.

Tactics
An expert with the blade, the Knight is adept at dueling a single adversary.

Mutated Survivor
:d6: Minion

Description
In one potential future, Earth has suffered a tragic nuclear armageddon. From that world hails this wretched, mutated being.

Abilities
Radioactivity: After the Mutated Survivor rolls a damage save from an Attack at close range, it Hinders the attacker with that roll.

Tactics
This once-human monstrosity feebly flails at any potential prey.

Primitive Hunter

Description
What some would incorrectly dub a “caveman,” this human from prehistoric times is nonetheless a fierce brute.

Abilities
Fight, not Flight: After the Primitive Hunter is Attacked, it gains a +2 bonus to its next Attack action.

Tactics
The hunter is likely very confused from being flung into this time, and will likely go berserk and madly start attacking.

Roman Legionnaire

Description
This soldier is a member of the legendary Roman legions, feared for their martial prowess.

Abilities
Shield Wall: The Roman Legionnaire has +1 to save rolls for every Roman Legionnaire nearby, including itself (up to a maximum bonus of +3).

Tactics
Romans are used to fighting in formation, and will do so if they can. However, a lone legionnaire will still do its best to fight for the glory of Rome.

Space Explorer

Description
In the potential future from which this fearless space explorer comes, humanity has dared to venture up through the stars, going where no man has gone before.

Abilities
Stun Phaser: The Space Explorer has +2 to Hinder actions.

Tactics
The Space Explorer tries to peacefully interact with the natives of the strange new world it now finds itself in, while trying not to contaminate its society with its advanced technology.

Swashbuckler

Description
This scallawag has sailed the high seas and crossed cutlasses with many ne’er-do-wells.

Abilities
Flynning: The Swashbuckler has +2 to Boost actions targeting itself.

Tactics
The Swashbuckler is equally adept at dueling a single opponent and holding off many foes, as well as making creative use of the environment.

WWII Flying Ace

Description
An expert pilot and an expert shot all rolled into one.

Abilities
Aerial Acrobatics: When making a save roll while flying, the WWII Flying Ace can roll its die twice and use the higher result.

Tactics
The pilot prefers to stay high above the fight, raining down bullets on those below.

Editor’s Notes

This environment has a fair number more allusions to other works of fiction than most. Can you spot them all?

And yes, I know that Sentinel Comics does not have as many temporal catastrophes as some other comic book companies do, but I figured that there was still a considerable amount.

If the Lost in Time twist activates and its challenge does not get completed, it could be the basis for a whole other issue or issues.

I particularly like the Timeline Fluctuations twist. I think that the Power- and Quality-switching was quite a clever way to represent a hero being transformed into their own alternate.

The Time Cataclysm is probably going to have the most minions out of all of my environments, with a whopping twelve. Speaking of minions, each of the Time-Displaced minions more or less matches up with one of the years listed in this environment’s infobox.

Next Environment: Realm of Fantasy!

3 Likes

I liked Time Cataclysm so much it inspired me to write up a supervillain specifically to be used with it - and then another potential world-breaking disaster that he could also show up for.

Johnny Crisis

1 Like

Wow, thanks! Johnny Crisis does look neat.

1 Like