Gen Con Live 2022

This time with Christopher and Paul

4 Likes

“Pizza cutter: all edge, no point.” I am stealing that. I tend to use “grimderp,” but this could switch it up.

3 Likes

God, do I love GenCon live episodes. :smiley: Trevor and Jenny went way, way above the call of duty for this one!

I also really love everything based around Paul being on this show. It’s lovely having him here every now and then. I wonder if they could ever do one with him and Adam…

For instance, you can tell that Paul has seen things, because he knows that both a Potatoverse and a Cornverse are possible.

Wow, Toditos came from the very first episode? Good on Nimbus for remembering that, that’s amazing.

Imagine knowing you’re a fixed point and just not caring.

Fan theory: The ‘final’ Legacy power is absorbing/merging with a singular entity/ascending to singular entity-hood, and they become Wellspring, always having been Wellspring, and go back to the start to begin the process anew.

Outside noise never comes through on the recording as loud as you think it will.

Yeah, that was great. :smiley: Love the amount of audience participation this year.

3 Likes

I love when they get Paul to answer questions about future content, more than anything. It’s one thing now knowing what’s going on, but something else entirely confidently answering about things that none of us know. Especially when it’s 50/50 shot.

And I narrowed the red suit guy down! I think Jeysie may be on to something with Robert Johnson…

Are time loops progressive? Or does every new version of Wellspring get a new singular power?

1 Like

@skywhale has a good point. A time loop seems more like a Preservation thing than a Progress thing.

2 Likes

Fun fact: I had a reputation in one of my classes for making really evil quizzes. This may have been why the final two questions in my game show were intentionally tricky ones.

Also, man, I wish y’all could hear the evil laughter I had when people were thinking Visionary was the answer for the time travel one.

2 Likes

Perhaps that is how new universes (multi-verses?) are born? The one that becomes all?

2 Likes

I just love Nimbus’ unbridled confidence there.

Christopher: “Wait, that was in episode one?”

Nimbus: “Yes.”

Is it true? I have no idea! I mean, I’m sure it is, because those were the days of constant “shmwhatever” jokes, but it would be kind of funny if he just bluffed his way through that whole situation on the strength of confident insistence. :wink:

3 Likes

Villain who would have fun at a convention - Adhesavist
“You need glue to fix your damaged miniature or diorama?”
“You need glue to fix your cosplay outfit?”

4 Likes

He holds everything together

3 Likes

The more I think about it, the more I’m absolutely sure he was correct. Not only were the shm- jokes more prevalent back then, but they sort of established the whole idea of “We can’t say real product names on air” right off the bat.

Also, it was Doritos, and not Tostitos, that created Todditos. XD

3 Likes

I met this guy at the convention. He gave me a business card.

2 Likes

Belatedly adding my claps to the applause for Nimbus’s question-answering appearance. That was a great way of putting a voice to the name.

I don’t think I’ve ever appreciated Paul more than this episode.

“It’s where you explain an existing thing…”
“Nnnnno.”
“It’s where you don’t explain a nonexistent thing?..”

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I also love the idea of Legacy adopting Omnitron. I mean, Omnitron-4 is basically dumb enough to pass itself off as a baby, instead of growing into a big factory. “Wah! Wah! Beep Boop! Are you my mommy?” Felecia might be naive enough to fall for that, especially if her father was taken out of the picture early and she had to grow up fast, not being able to mature properly and have enough common sense to see this situation for the obvious trap it is.

“THIRD BASE!” I’m so glad someone got that in there.

“If we do not all stick together, then we shall assuredly all stick separately!”

2 Likes

The concept of a swap between Guise and Legacy makes sense to me specifically because Joe King was a Legacy fanboy; it seems like the kind of scenario that some sort of genie wishing ring could bring about. If we go into Joe’s delusional comic-reader-vision and see the False Metaverse he’s envisioning during this episode, it would be about the original boom in comic books being about the more Disney-esque lines, instead of the Action Comics route that both our world and the True Metaverse went with (I forget what the Metaverse’s equivalent to Action Comics was). We know that in our world, Looney Tunes and the like were a concept more in the cinematic world, and their comic book equivalents weren’t that big, but in Joe’s little genie fantasy, he imagines the False Metaverse as having a goofy cartoon character named Guise who becomes as popular as Legacy ever did, having surrealistic shapeshifting adventures which create the entire superhero genre as being sillier and trippier than its real world version. And then all the subsequent comic book heroes follow more in Guise’s mold, with Wraith as a wisecracking detective who snarks her enemies into submission, Tachyon as a ridiculously over-the-top wacky-science story vehicle, and Lt. Tyler Vance as more of a bungling cautionary tale about what soldiers shouldn’t do while fighting abroad, with a Rube Goldberg contraption of a Bunker suit that’s constantly breaking down. (The various Prime Wardens kinds of core-set heroes are harder to spin in this fashion, so I’m gonna stop here.) Eventually, the readers of the Freedom Four title (no Absolute Zero in this universe, since he’s too sad of a character to be turned into a cartoon) got tired of the constant slapstick nonsense of the superhero genre, and created a “parody” title starring Paul “Legacy” Parsons, an earnestly homespun and heartwarming slice of Americana which became wildly popular throughout the 70s and 80s and 90s, and only in the late 90s and early 2000s did the differing vibe of Guise-style and Legacy-style stories gradually converge into a more nuanced and interconnected comic book universe. Tragically, this made that universe too much like the canonical one, so they were both destroyed.

(And then of course I check out for the game show section, but that’s okay since I’m busy writing the whole above paragraph.)

It depends on whether it’s a Groundhog Day kind of a time loop that’s intended to resolve itself by iterating until it reaches a desired conclusion, or a static time loop that will never break unless an external force gets involved. The latter is anti-Progress, but the former is just a different approach to getting Progress accomplished, where instead of the timeline progressing in a straight line and having lots of random branches off to the side, it’s instead a bunch of attempts at finding the way forward, and all the ones that don’t succeed are erased. I tried to explain that in a metaphor involving trees, but it didn’t pan out, so hopefully the bare explanation makes sense as-is.

1 Like