Heroes/Villains/Lieutenants/Minions?

So without having the full game, my question is this. Is there anything stopping me building a npc villain as a hero mechanically? or a npc hero as a villain? in superhero fiction its very common for heroes to fight each other, if i wanted to do that as a gm should I be building the npc heroes as full heroes? villains? lieutentants? 

Is there any mechanical reason why you should choose one particular option? Is there anything in the book which talks about why the decision was made design wise to build heroes and villains differently? 

just trying to get my head around how i should be representing different npcs in game.

It depends on what they're doing in the scene.  If an NPC hero *or* villain is helping the PCs, I usually do them as Lieutenants, with a couple of powers-related bonuses (e.g., +2 to Hinder).  If an NPC is an opponent for the heroes, and is moderately powerful, I'd build them as a Villain.  If they're more of a speed bump on the way to the real villain, I'd make the character a Lieutenant.

There's nothing broken or wrong about using a full PC build for an opponent, but it's generally more work than you need to do in both creation and running.

I've made a habit of making a Lieutenant version of every Villain I create. Once you're at it anyway, it is pretty easy to boil down what they essentially do into a Lieutenant's abilities, and sometimes even helps to get a clearer picture of how they tick. 

I've put an example in the Villains needed thread.

in the rules are there a set amount of abilities available for lieutenents?

What's the major issue with using their villain "sheet" while they're working with the heroes?  Or for using the hero build for an NPC hero?

@deanjday

Not really. 

Often, it is as brief as 'these have a +1 on all attacks if condition x is met". Sometimes, it is a more refined set of signature moves to better flesh out a character.

Either way, the biggest difference versus Villains is, it all has to work based off their one status die, which is always used whatever they do (instead of rolling a power, quality and status - that's reserved for Heroes and fully fledged Villains)