Looking for suggestions for an RPG campaign I'm building

For the past few weeks I've been building a super hero academy(something like Sky-High, or My Hero Academia) campaign for the Savage Worlds game system, and I've run into a bit of writer's block. I've written up the main hero group and most of the faculty, but there's still a few different things I'm having trouble with.

One thing I need help with is where the school should be located.I could always have the setting located in a well known city(students could commute to and from school with the possibility of dorms being provided), but I've also considered having it located in a secluded place such as an island located a short way from a port city or even have it secluded in the wilderness(the academy woululd be more private school-like, with students living on-grounds). I've even considered having a floating structure in the clouds(a la Sky-High), though that just seems to be asking for a villain to shoot it down. Though that might make a good plot.

I'm also looking for ideas for possible npc students, mostly background faces that the PC's might recognize. I could also use any ideas for super-clubs, mergers of mundane school clubs mixed with something super-sounding, like 'Deep-sea Swim team tryouts' or 'Rescue the Civillian meet next friday'(another example from Sky-High).

I'd be happy to provide more info on the world if it's needed. Any suggestions that can be given would be very much appreciated, and thank you in advance. :)

Are you familiar with Whateley Academy?  It's pretty similar to what it sounds like you're describing, although with a more neutral bent rather than straight up hero school.  You might be able to get some ideas for how your school might work, or for background characters.

I'm not going to bother describing Whateley, as I'd just be copying and pasting from intro on the homepage that I linked to above, so just go read that.

PS238's main cast is probably pitched lower than what you're thinking of, but has excellent worldbuilding. Also Whateley's writing is kind of patchy, as it has so many authors, and is not always work safe.

That's… Alot of writing.While I may look into it, I'd have absolutely no idea where to start in all of that.

(Edit: As always, spelling)

Both very valid criticisms. And Sudden Author Dissappearance Syndrome has made the overarcing plotting a bit wonky. (And yes, Whateley practically defines “archive panic”)

But I like it, and the world building that they’ve done really is outstanding.

Hogwarts? A secluded place where the players live, Sky High but without the bus that takes them there every day.

How old are the players and their Characters? Do you want Parents, the City, Local Offical to be part of the stories?

As for student NPC, use the player's backstory and motivation to fill this out. A trope of a bully is a good way to get them to unite. A student dealing with depression if your players are ok with a dark, RP tone. A goofy Kultz who gets them self into problems. A BFF Rival person who challenges them, as a result, they both become better. Don't be afraid of tossing in a trope, you can modify them and add stuff based on what the players respond. (Never just leave them as tropes though)

Definitely, ask what tone the players want (or you want). Also, ask the Player Characters' (PC) motivations and go off that.

I had a Nerdy Technopath with no name because I was sure the players would have killed them (Stoled their stuff and they were chanting for his blood), but through a very long process, they decided to befriend them. Now I am working this week to flesh out the No name NPC. . . 

For location, another idea might be to put the school in a pocket dimension (e.g. The Block in Sentinels).  The students have to get to a portal each morning, that's kept in a secure location.  This could help reduce concern about damage from the school spilling over into the normal world, give the students a bigger backyard to play in, and give you an easy way to have storylines in different environments.

Sorry, should have stated the age range outright. We're aiming for a highschool setting, Freshman year(9th grade), and all the players are in the 21+ range.

Having a surounding city to work with and have the players interact with is one of the pros I've considered for having a static city around the academy. If I go that direction, then yes I'd be needing those. For parents? Outside the PC's families, I think I would just design them at need…

So you are not going with the no parent rule?  You can always do a boarding school type of deal. Where they travel from their hometown to be in this School. With a local city but no parents around. 

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InvisibleParents

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThereAreNoAdults

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeceasedParentsAreTheBest

Don't worry about the label trope, everything is a trope nowadays. Just need you have to map out a character relation map and keep track of all the names you have and will makeup. I've been far too lazy to do that, get the players to add names for me. . .

I want to know, what Tone people are ok with?

I have a goth girl PC who turns into a demon. When the demon does stuff, I just ask them to tell me the movie screen they want to portray (they get graphic, and I am not ok with that), so that everyone gets the idea.  The group is overall less physical, (outside of the demon) so they prefer social conflicts or having to outsmart the other guys. (they got one group to go after the other and then picked off the winner.) The group consists of a petty white collar hacker, a Narcissist, and an over the top Heroes who stops everything, even fighting, to Pose. And sign autographs. I will never have a "paragon of good" story in my group. Currently, I am making them do "good" because it is good for their image (They have a reality TV show). A bad image hurts their pocketbooks (they spun the leveling of a serval building as a way to break group for a new low housing delovpement, "Control the story" they said).

That's a possibility I've been considering, like in my Island or secluded valley idea. There wouldn't be a town around the school in those cases, and since it's so far out of the way from anything the students would have to live on school grounds.

When I say the PC will have parents I mean that they exist, but they're a character that will only really be involved with the game if the PC pull them in.

Some cool twists for school settings that I've used, played or seen.

1.  The players powers haven't shown yet, but they get invited to a prestgious high school where somebody is sending potentially powerful kids, who then learn/train their powers for unknown masters.  Heavy on RP requirements, since they design their powers before they start.

2.  Hogwarts houses:  yeah it's been done, but really, pitting the characters against other groups of students with something real on the line works.  Can also work by grade if you want the powerful underdogs team.

3.  Boarding-style School starts with normal school things, start a rivalry, think a teacher is evil, get like 3 tamer adventures in and then catestrophic event isolates school and things get tense, but school still goes on, with only whispers of the outside world.  This can be really good if you have well fleshed out parents and backgrounds for characters.

4.  School on the edge of something nasty, and they aren't just students, they are the front line, or next to a portal mysterious and deadly, and the students work to explore it.  Can be fun to get the duality of combat/dungeon crawl with the school atmosphere.

The hardest part of school based RPGs and stories is School is pretty boring, so if you want to stay there and not leave after a few adventures, you need to spice it up on or very near campus to introduce real tension.

From a HS supers oneshot I created:

• Ghetto Blaster can produce and hurl small projectiles of pure energy. If not hurled within five seconds of their creation, they dissipate. Unfortunately, Ghetto Blaster can only produce these projectiles while rapping. More than five projectiles/hour will cause Ghetto Blaster to lose his voice. Ghetto Blaster can also teleport at will, though only 10 ft. at a time and only to some place that he can already see.

• The Goth can call down complete, impenetrable darkness, but cannot see in normal indoor light unless wearing sunglasses. Outdoors, even w/ sunglasses he is completely blind between dawn and dusk, except on very overcast days. The Goth can also temporarily blind people, if he so chooses, by touching them.

• Hemp Girl wears her hair in twenty small braids pinned in coils on her head. Each braid is 10 ft. long, a centimeter in diameter and can withstand two tons of force. When lit, the braids emit a sweet vapor that sends anyone who smells it into a ten-minute stupor. The braids must be cut off to be used. Both Hemp Girl and some of her “friends” will be very upset if too much of their supply is cut off. Hemp Girl can also at any given time cause one other person to fall into a stupor by concentrating on them intensely.

• The Artist has a photographic memory. With a glance, he can remember the smallest details indefinitely. He can also, with an intense amount of concentration, either open a portal in his navel to view another place or choose a known object and have his right forefinger point in its direction. The closer one’s eye is to his navel, the better one can see. He can achieve one of these no more than once an hour. Finally, The Artist can exude a sticky substance from his fingers and toes, allowing him to climb walls and hang from ceilings. (Also great for mounting drawings.)

• Samurai Jenni has the power to reach out and retrieve any small (up to 15 lb.) item she can visualize, as if from thin air. Unfortunately, she’s still perfecting the technique. Her retrievals are most accurate when reaching for katanas while fighting. The less like a katanna the thing is that she reaches for, the more likely she’ll accidentally retrieve something else. Bulldogs don’t make good pillows. If she uses her power more than once an hour, she immediately falls asleep for 30 minutes.

• The Oracle has the ability to see the future. Unfortunately, she has no control over what future she gets to see and when she gets to see it. Luckily, visions no longer cause her to pass out like they used to. Renee has recently discovered that if she concentrates on someone, she can create a psychic channel and talk to him or her.

Those are some fantastic character ideas! I especially like Ghetto Blaster, Goth and Oracle. But I'd use all of them. :D

Much of the credit for these character ideas goes to my spouse.

Not mentioned above is that The Goth is incredibly body shy, which made for some great roleplaying. He really, really wanted to help the group by allowing them to see something, but was totally freaked out at the concept of people looking at his belly.

… is the Artist a Telletubby?

Also, naval gazing ftw!

Bulldogs don’t make good pillows. 

I disagree.

At best, I'll give you a "sometimes but not always".

In terms of campus, being in a city isn't the best plan because they need space. If you want to practice rescuing people from a sinking boat in a controlled environement or want to unleash a robot horde in an urban jungle, you need ot space to actually have those environments. A more isolated "colllege town" like place would work, the entirety of the area belongs to the school and it's sprawling enough to have a lot of variety. An island is great for that, because it can be big enough to encompass a lot of different natural terrains. Actually, the webcomic Magellan is about a superhero school that is a mobile island. Gives the security of being anywhere in the world with the all the benefits of beaches instead of miles of falling to your death.

One thing that might be interesting is looking into Supers, but alternative career paths. They touch on it in My Hero Academia, but not everyone can be a Hero. Super powered rescue workers, inventors, construction workers, ect, can be a way to spice up campus life.

Maybe the Hero class goes in an wrecks a city-scape in a practice bout of "villain fighting 101" and as they leave the construction/search and rescue classes are heading in to work on architecture and the repair work that comes with wrecking a few city blocks. And the relationships can go multiple ways, maybe one guy really likes the challenges the hero class leaves behind (how do I rebuild a building that was frozen as it was melting) while another is constantly annoyed at them because the house on LEgacy Avenue was their latest pet project and of course they had to level it... again.

As for clubs... what would football (american or otherwise) or rugby look like if superpowers were allowed? Getting involved in an inter-campus kerfuffle because of some crazy sport event could be cool, and it would allow for some interesting power uses. "Gerald loads the ball into his MK II launcher, blasting it off straight to the goal, but Linear intercepts, weaving back thru the opposing team with his shadow like body, can he take it all the- no, Concretia's wall has cut him off, she's diving for it" ect ect ect

Art clubs can get interesting with powers. Making things out of literal light, shaping materials in ways it was never meant to be shaped, actually, gives me a student idea too.

NPCs.

You need to have a janitor. He looks completely normal, no one knows what his power set is, but he is always everywhere, just quietly cleaning away at some brand new mess that was just created. I'd name him Jim, but I have no idea why. Maybe he has psychic powers, myabe he can make clones of himself, maybe he's just been at this job for far far too long and just has the knack, but it may drive your players crazy trying to figure it out.

For the art student, a girl who can enters people's dreams and tries to capture their "inner essense" in some of the most psychedelic, post-modern art you have ever seen.

For some reason, despite the fact you said freshman, I'm thinking there would be older kids around too, and I could see a senior whose got super toughness and constituton, which led him to a deep study of chemistry and ametuer brewing trying to make a drink that could actually get him drunk. Everyone knows him for his conconctions and forgets what his power actually his. I like supers who aren't defined by their powers, but by something else entirely.

Who are the outcasts in this school? Are they the ones who have powers that make them ugly and monstrous, or those who have powers that seem trivial and worthless. Either group could get a bit of mileage, and people who are self-concious because their powers make them look like monsters can always be interesting to work with.

Oh, from my game excerpt above, Linear is a guy whose a lot like Writhe, but his body mainly just turns into a shadowy line that looks like someone's taking a pen and drawing a line on whatever surface he's moving across. Concretia is a name I stole from Grrl Power, but the idea is a girl with stone powers. Stone form, melding, shaping, ect.

Student Council president is a guy with psychic powers, and everyone knows it, but he keeps getting elected every single time. A lot of times people will find themselves agreeing to do some odd job or other, only realizing later that he totally manipulated them into it. But he's a naturally charismatic and popular guy, and he never abuses his power in a way that gets him in trouble, just in ways that let him be a lazy busybody. I'm thinking of Breeze from Mistborn if you are familiar with it.

And the list could go on, but I should stop for now before I get too carried away.