Maximum Effort!

Been a while since I was up to the effort of writing a game report; it’s hard enough just reading one. But this game didn’t go too long, and it nicely showcases Baron Blade making his inevitable defeat absolutely as difficult for the heroes as possible. He sometimes manages to get the drop on the heroes and take them out, but this isn’t one of those cases; this is just him being a cartoon villain for the equivalent of 90 minutes instead of the usual 30.

(Incidentally, the flavor text for this ancient Weekly challenge lists it as being “accidentally created by Batmantheon”. I managed to find the Reddit user by this name, but scrolling back through two or three years of his activity in search of a SOTM reference is beyond even my superhuman time-wasting abilities, so if anyone happens to know what the story is here, please tell me because otherwise I’ll go to my grave never knowing. This is a Randomized Start, and these are all core set decks, so I have no idea what Batmantheon’s brilliant happenstance might have been; my best guess is that these are all heroes who have a “1 damage to each Villain or Non-Hero Target at the start of your turn, whether you actually want it at that point or not” ongoing, but that’s a pretty weak theory since Blade is far from the best villain to play up the risk/reward aspect of those cards.)

Anyway, on with the tale of how I managed this normally-trivial accomplishment:

Baron Blade starts this game off with a Hasten Doom, so each hero is down 2, then he plays Living Force Field. As it worked out, Tempest never managed to find the Ball Lightning which I immediately assumed would take this out, so it lasted far longer than it should have; again, we’re on Random Start, so Batmantheon didn’t plan any of this.

Tempest plays Elemental Subwave Inducer, a card that actually managed to be somewhat useful this game, and plinked the Mobile Defense Platform before drawing Otherworldly Resilience, which he would live to regret never playing.

Visionary plays Precognition, choosing Slash and Burn over another Hasten Doom, or an Elemental Redistributor which is normally a very safe card to let the Baron play, but might be a slight problem this early in the game for her two sexless but seemingly masculine compatriots in this particular battle. With her mind control done, she fed cards to Tempest, as I didn’t yet know what kind of dire straights AZ was in. It worked well though, since Tempest got his Gene-Bound Shackles, which would almost give him the easy victory which usually results from fighting the Baron on normal mode. He also got Reclaim from the Deep, which I never got around to using, and he discarded one of two copies of Electrical Storm which he’d started with.

AZ’s initial hand lacks any Modules or searchers therefor, but it does have two copies of Glacial Structure, so he nearly doubles his hand size, drawing Sub-Zero Atmosphere, Modular Realignment, and Cryo Chamber, then Impale.

Paparazzi On The Scene enters play, to witness the prophecied Slash and Burn from the Baron. Visi takes 3 melee (21), AZ takes 5 fire (22), and Tempest starts his turn by choosing Fire for his Subwaver. However, he opts not to play a card since he can’t use a power, drawing Grievous Hail Storm and Lightning Slash. Visi likewise draws Suggestion and Mind Spike, and AZ gets a pair of Modular Realignments. The party discards Electrical Storm, Psychic Maelstrom, and Cryo Chamber, and the Pappies go elsewhere, being replaced by a Plummeting Monorail.

Blade Battalion comes into play; Tempest takes 5 {19}. Tempest then sets his ESI to Melee, and plays Chain Lightning. He punches the MDP for 4 {5}, the Battalion for 3 {2}, and the Monorail for 2 (8). Squall then reduces them to {4}, {1}, and {7} respectively, and he draws another Lightning Slash.

Visionary plays Mind Spike on the MDP {1}, then Enlightens AZ; he draws Hoarfire and Frost Bound Drain, then discards Sub-Zero Atmosphere. The Visionary draws Wrest the Mind. AZ plays the Drain, dealing 3 Cold to Plummeting Monorail {4}, 3 Fire to himself {19}, and then skips his power, unfortunately drawing another SZA.

The train strikes Baron Blade, who’s immune to it, and then the Visionary {16}; not sure I really thought that round through. Impending Casualty is played, and Zero discards SZA to get rid of it.

The Baron plays Slash and Burn for another 3 to Visi {13} and 5 to AZ {14}. Blade Battalion pokes Tempest, who giggles like the Pillsbury Dough Boy thanks to his ESI. Tempest then reups this effect before playing Gene-Bound Shackles. Squall kills the MDP, the Battalion, and deals 2 to the Baron through his Living Force Field (I may have failed to note when that came out above, sorry). BB falls to {38}, the Monoral to {3}, and Tempest draws Aquatic Correspondence & is done.

Visi plays Wrest the Mind on the Monorail, then Enlightens AZ, who draws two copies of Null-Point Calibration Unit, discarding one. Visi draws Mental Divergence.

Zero wants to plays his NPCU, but there’s a more time-sensitive option for him to pick. He’s taken 8 fire damage in the past way, thanks to Slash and Burn and to his somewhat ill-advised FBD against the Monorail, so as a sort of super-Lightning Slash that he can only use this round, he plays Coolant Blast and hits the Baron for 8…except I was wrong, it’s only 5 because the Drain was too long ago to be counted. So after the Living Force Field, only 4 gets through, leaving the Baron at {34}. Draws another Coolant Blast.

The Monorail hits Blade for 5 minus 1 {30}, then tries to hit Tempest and is redirected by Wrest the Mind, hitting the Baron again {26}, allowing Visi to destroy the train. (This then produces the bizarre message: “Wrest the Mind cannot do anything else: [DealDamageAction: DamageSource=The Visionary, Target=The Visionary, Amount=3, DamageType=Psychic, Identifier=507]”.)

Targeting Innocents is played by Megalopolis, then the Baron spits out a Powered Remote Turret. This hits everyone for 2 {Tempest 17, Visi 11, AZ 12}, then Tempest switches his ESI to Projectile. He uses a Lightning Slash on Targeting Innocents {5}, then Squalls for 1 more to that {4}, 1 to the Turret {6}, and 2 to Blade {24}. Draws Localized Hurricane.

Visi plays Cerebral Hemorrhage, dealing 1 to the Baron {23}, 2 to the Innocents {2} and 2 to the Turret {4}. She makes AZ draw Absolute Zero draws Onboard Module Installation and Hoarfire, and he grudgingly decides he has enough cards and gives up on Glacial Structure. Visi draws Prophetic Vision.

When initially playing this turn out, I played OMI, drew another copy, played that two, and ended with a Hoarfire which I then distributed poorly, ending up Undoing the whole play; unfortunately, when I went ahead with the second version of the turn, I forgot to replay the OMI and just went straight to playing Hoarfire the correct way. I used the cold to kill the Innocents, then hit Zero for fire {10}, then took the automatic cold and fire damage to end up at {8}, before using Coolant Blast for 3 to the Turret {1}. That still wasn’t a great turn, even aside from forgetting the OMI, but it was what I settled on; AZ always causes a little analysis paralysis for me. Thanks to my blunder, Zero’s card draw for the turn is the second OMI that I should have had already.

Hostage Situation enters play, as if to punish me for my OMI blunder by making me wait an extra round. The Baron then plays Backlash Field, and the Turret that I failed to kill hits Tempest for 1 {16} and the others for 2 {Visi 9, AZ 6}.

Tempest goes to Lightning damage this turn so that he can Squall in relative safety; the Turret belatedly dies, the Baron takes his 2 from the Shackles {21}, and Backlash Field deals 2 back {14}. Tempest draws Reclaim from the Deep.

For some reason Visi decides AZ still needs more cards, despite holding two OMIs; he gets Modular Realignment and Cold Snap, ditching the latter (it wasn’t a great card for BB matches even before he had Backlash Field down). Visionary draws Psychic Maelstrom.

Skipping his power phase, AZ draws Isothermic Transducer and a THIRD Onboard Module Installation. The party discards Localized Hurricane, Prophetic Vision, and Impale to end the Hostage Situation, and Cramped Quarters Combat enters play.

The Baron plays Elemental Redistributor, fat lot of good it does him this round; Tempest sets his ESI to Melee so as not to lose the CCQ bonus, but he’s not holding a damaging card to avail himself of that twice in one turn, so he just talks to some fish and draws Flash Flood, Cleansing Downpour, and Reclaim from the Deep. Squall deals 3 to the Baron {18}, and he deals 3 back {11}, while the Redistributor goes to {8}. Tempest draws Electrical Storm.

The Visionary plays Mental Divergence, using it to destroy the Backlash Field. Draws Cerebral Hemorrhage. After that, AZ unleashes his trio of OMIs, with the first two cards drawn being Modules, and the search function grabbing Transducers both times. The third OMI gets Frost-Bound Drain and then searches up an NPCU, which is then played. Not being able to Thermodynamically activate either Module while CCQ is up, he instead activates Coolant Blast, dealing 0 fire which becomes 1 melee, and takes the Redistributor down to {7}. Draws Fueled Freeze.

Another Hostage Situation replaces CCQ; the Baron plays another Living Force Field. Tempest activates the ESI, choosing Melee again despite there being no immediate reason, and then he Squalls, getting 1 Shackle damage through the two Force Fields to leave Blade at {16}, with the Redistributor dropping to {6}. Another Shackles is drawn.

Visi takes out a Force Field and draws Mass Levitation, AZ heals a point, not that 1 HP is necessarily worth more than a bonus card, but more just because he wants to finally do his thing after all this time, drawing Thermal Shockwave.

The party discards Electrical Storm, Mass Levitation, and Coolant Blast to destroy Hostage Situation; Rooftop Combat then enters play, and will remain out for pretty much the rest of the game, making the Baron hit harder but also letting this three-hero party drop a bunch of extra damage on him, which ought to have made the game very short now that Visi is about to strip away his remaining Forcefield. Blade Battalion is played, and would hit Tempest for 6 if not for his Melee reduction; instead, he falls TO {6}.

Continuing to keep the ESI set on Melee, Tempest plays Grievous Hail Storm, cutting the Redistributor in half {3}, dropping the Battalion to {2}, and dealing 4 net to Blade {13}. Draws Vicious Cyclone.

Visi makes a Suggestion that the Baron should take his Force Field back, because she totally isn’t going to destroy it again right away; meanwhile, that Blade Battallion would look so handsome on the bottom of the Baron’s deck. This game report would read a lot more thrillingly if I had a proper count of the number of cards in the villain trash every round, so I don’t know exactly how crucial it was to play this card now, but in retrospect it would turn out to be pretty important. She feeds cards to Tempest, who draws Shielding Winds and Aquatic Correspondence, and he discards Vicious Cyclone, then she draws Demoralization.

AZ plays Cryo Chamber, then does Thermodynamics, getting an extra point of cold thanks to Cryo Chamber and another due to Rooftop Combat, so he heals to {10}. Draws Focused Apertures.

After the Baron’s entirely predictable turn (in which the only interesting occurrence is AZ taking 3 from the Battalion and being left at {7}), Tempest sets his ESI to Cold, then does a Lightning Slash on AZ, boosting it up to 7 and doubling his health {14}. The Hail Storm then kills both of the Baron’s targets and hits him for 3 net {10}. Draws Into the Stratosphere.

Visi gives the Baron a Mind Spike, getting through for 2 {8}, and then peeling off another of his Forcefields. Draws Prophetic Vision.

AZ plays Focused Apertures, healing 4 thanks to all the bonuses he’s getting {18}.
Went from Absolute Zero’s DrawCard phase to End phase. Draws more Apertures.

Hasten Doom is played, knocking Tempest down to {3}, Visi to {6}, and AZ to {15}. Then he busts out the Devious Disruption which is responsible for nearly all of Baron Blade’s victories, Tempest is dead no matter what, so he ditches all his stuff, and the other two have to retain no more than 2 cards in play each, or else Visi will go down too. With only one Force Field left, Visi gives up Mental Divergence, but AZ throws out as many cards as the other two combined, keeping only his NPCU. AZ is now down to {10} and Visi to {1}.

Visi tries to Enlighten herself on Tempest’s turn, drawing Twist the Ether and Telekinetic Cocoon, discarding Demoralization. On her turn, she chooses to try Twisting AZ’s Ether instead of saving herself; this proves to be a costly mistake. She draws more cards, whose identities don’t matter, and it’s Zero’s turn.

Getting his Transducer back into play, Absolute Zero tries to do some shenanigans with the twisted Ether; by hitting himself for 1 fire, Twisting it up, and also applying Rooftop Combat, he hits himself for 3 {7}, and I’m not sure what happens next, since I get the message “While in preview mode, a decision made the result unknowable” a whole bunch of times, I have no idea why. Presumably the Transducer is involved, since he’s starting to deal 3 Cold to himself; I try Twisting this into 5 Fire {2}, and I hoped this would become 7 cold to himself, but that must have been applying the same bonus twice or something, since it winds up being only 5. And this brings AZ back to 1 less HP than he had before, so it’s clearly not as worthwhile as I hoped it would be. I would have liked to rewind to Visi’s turn and play the Cocoon instead, but the app always cuts off your Undo options midway through the round, so he can’t go past the start of AZ’s turn. So he just hits himself for 3 cold {13} and then draws Fueled Freeze.

Baron Blade plays “Consider the Price of Victory!”; Visi not only dies before she can play her Cocoon, but she has to discard a card too (along with a Transducer from AZ, which undoes the effect of her earlier Suggestion by causing Blade to mill himself by an extra card. I’m guessing that it was around here that I started being in serious danger of accidentally triggering the Baron’s win condition, which combined with the fact that I’m down to just one hero (who is left with {10} HP) makes the rest of this match a LOT harder than BB usually is.

The rest of this game report consists either of a fairly succinct set of dryly reported game events, without any further editorializing from me, or of an extremely brief top-down summary of numerous game rounds in a handful of sentences. For now I will present the former, just to get this draft published so it no longer prevents me from creating new topics; if I get around to it, I may edit this to replace the barely-readable raw log (which I have abbreviated from its current immensity by removing the least necessary notations, but otherwise left mostly intact) with the aforementioned summation.

“Consider the Price of Victory!” moved Backlash Field from the villain deck to the villain trash.

“Consider the Price of Victory!” moved Powered Remote Turret from the villain deck to the villain trash.

GameController moved “Consider the Price of Victory!” to the villain trash.

Went from Baron Blade’s PlayCard & End phases to Tempest’s Start & UseIncapacitatedAbility phases. Tempest uses the incapacitated ability “One Hero may use a Power.” Absolute Zero uses the power on Absolute Zero. Null-Point Calibration Unit caused Absolute Zero to regain 2 HP. HP is now 12.

Went from Tempest’s End phase to The Visionary’s Start and UseIncapacitatedAbility phases. Apparently did nothing therein; maybe the Baron was at so many cards in trash that I didn’t dare destroy his Force Field, nor did I want to lose the Rooftop Combat which was counteracting the Force Field and keeping the Environment out of my hair.

Went from The Visionary’s End phase to Absolute Zero’s Start phase and PlayCard phases.

AZ plays Thermal Shockwave and uses the power; he chills himself for 2 {14}, then Rooftop Combat makes him heat up for 1 {13}, and he Transduces 2 more cold to raise him to {15}. Draws Impale.

Went from Absolute Zero’s DrawCard and End phases, past Megalopolis, through to Baron Blade’s Start and PlayCard phases.

BB plays Mobile Defense Platform.

Went from Baron Blade’s PlayCard and End phases to Tempest’s Start phase. Tempest uses the incapacitated ability “One Hero may use a Power.” AZ uses the Shockwave again, and this time hits the MDP for 2 {8}, heals to {17}, takes 3 fire {14}, and then heals it back to end up at {18}. Went from Tempest’s End phase to The Visionary’s Start phase.

Visi again skips her turn; AZ plays Focused Apertures, zapping the MDP to {5}, healing to {21}, then taking 4 fire {17} and healing by 6 {23}. Draws Cold Snap.

Went from Absolute Zero’s DrawCard phase to End phase.

Went from Absolute Zero’s End phase to Megalopolis’s Start phase.

Went from Megalopolis’s Start phase to PlayCard phase.

Went from Megalopolis’s PlayCard phase to End phase.

Went from Megalopolis’s End phase to Baron Blade’s Start phase.

Went from Baron Blade’s Start phase to PlayCard phase.

GameController plays Devious Disruption.

Devious Disruption will destroy 4 equipment or ongoing cards owned by Absolute Zero.

Baron Blade deals Absolute Zero 8 Lightning damage.

Absolute Zero is now at 15 HP.

GameController moved Devious Disruption to the villain trash.

Went from Baron Blade’s PlayCard phase to End phase.

Went from Baron Blade’s End phase to Tempest’s Start phase.

Went from Tempest’s Start phase to UseIncapacitatedAbility phase.

Tempest uses the incapacitated ability “One Hero may use a Power.”

Absolute Zero uses the power on Thermal Shockwave.

Absolute Zero initiates 1 Cold damage to Absolute Zero.

DealDamageAction of Thermal Shockwave was prevented by Null-Point Calibration Unit.

Null-Point Calibration Unit caused Absolute Zero to regain 3 HP. HP is now 18.

Absolute Zero deals Mobile Defense Platform 3 Cold damage.

Mobile Defense Platform is now at 2 HP.

Absolute Zero deals Absolute Zero 4 Fire damage.

Absolute Zero is now at 14 HP.

Absolute Zero deals Mobile Defense Platform 6 Cold damage.

Mobile Defense Platform is now at -4 HP.

Absolute Zero’s Thermodynamics destroys Mobile Defense Platform!

GameController moved Mobile Defense Platform to the villain trash.

Went from Tempest’s UseIncapacitatedAbility phase to End phase.

Went from Tempest’s End phase to The Visionary’s Start phase.

Went from The Visionary’s Start phase to UseIncapacitatedAbility phase.

The Visionary uses the incapacitated ability “Destroy an ongoing card.”

The Visionary destroys Living Force Field!

Went from The Visionary’s UseIncapacitatedAbility phase to End phase.

Went from The Visionary’s End phase to Absolute Zero’s Start phase.

Went from Absolute Zero’s Start phase to PlayCard phase.

GameController plays Frost Bound Drain.

Absolute Zero deals Baron Blade 5 Cold damage.

Baron Blade is now at 3 HP.

Absolute Zero is now at 10 HP.

Absolute Zero initiates 4 Cold damage to Absolute Zero.

DealDamageAction of Isothermic Transducer was prevented by Null-Point Calibration Unit.

Null-Point Calibration Unit caused Absolute Zero to regain 6 HP. HP is now 16.

GameController moved Frost Bound Drain to Absolute Zero’s trash.

Went from Absolute Zero’s PlayCard phase to UsePower phase.

Absolute Zero deals Baron Blade 3 Cold damage.

Baron Blade is now at 0 HP.

Baron Blade was flipped to its back side.

Baron Blade restored the HP of Baron Blade to 30 HP.

GameController moved Hasten Doom from the villain trash to the villain deck.

GameController moved Slash and Burn from the villain trash to the villain deck.

GameController moved Slash and Burn from the villain trash to the villain deck.

GameController moved Mobile Defense Platform from the villain trash to the villain deck.

GameController moved Powered Remote Turret from the villain trash to the villain deck.

GameController moved Backlash Field from the villain trash to the villain deck.

GameController moved Elemental Redistributor from the villain trash to the villain deck.

GameController moved Blade Battalion from the villain trash to the villain deck.

GameController moved Living Force Field from the villain trash to the villain deck.

GameController moved Devious Disruption from the villain trash to the villain deck.

GameController moved Hasten Doom from the villain trash to the villain deck.

GameController moved Backlash Field from the villain trash to the villain deck.

GameController moved Powered Remote Turret from the villain trash to the villain deck.

GameController moved “Consider the Price of Victory!” from the villain trash to the villain deck.

GameController moved Devious Disruption from the villain trash to the villain deck.

GameController moved Mobile Defense Platform from the villain trash to the villain deck.

GameController moved Living Force Field from the villain trash to the villain deck.

Baron Blade moved Mobile Defense Platform from the villain deck to the villain trash.

Baron Blade moved Mobile Defense Platform from the villain deck to the villain trash.

Baron Blade shuffles their the villain deck.

DealDamageAction of Thermal Shockwave was prevented by Null-Point Calibration Unit.

Null-Point Calibration Unit caused Absolute Zero to regain 3 HP. HP is now 19.

Absolute Zero deals Absolute Zero 9 Fire damage.

Absolute Zero initiates 9 Cold damage to Absolute Zero.

Rooftop Combat increases the damage dealt by Absolute Zero by 1.

Focused Apertures increases the damage dealt by Absolute Zero by 1.

DealDamageAction of Isothermic Transducer was prevented by Null-Point Calibration Unit.

Null-Point Calibration Unit caused Absolute Zero to regain 11 HP. HP is now 21.

Went from Absolute Zero’s UsePower phase to DrawCard phase.

Absolute Zero draws Frost Bound Drain.

GameController plays Hasten Doom.

Baron Blade deals Absolute Zero 3 Toxic damage.

Absolute Zero is now at 18 HP.

Hasten Doom plays “Consider the Price of Victory!”.

Absolute Zero discards Cold Snap.

“Consider the Price of Victory!” moved Cold Snap from Absolute Zero’s hand to Absolute Zero’s trash.

Baron Blade deals Absolute Zero 3 Sonic damage.

“Consider the Price of Victory!” moved Powered Remote Turret from the villain deck to the villain trash.

GameController moved “Consider the Price of Victory!” to the villain trash.

GameController moved Hasten Doom to the villain trash.

Baron Blade deals Absolute Zero 4 Energy damage.

Absolute Zero is now at 11 HP.

Baron Blade is now at 27 HP.

Null-Point Calibration Unit caused Absolute Zero to regain 3 HP. HP is now 14.

Absolute Zero initiates 3 Fire damage to Absolute Zero.

Absolute Zero initiates 4 Cold damage to Absolute Zero.

Null-Point Calibration Unit caused Absolute Zero to regain 6 HP. HP is now 16.

GameController plays Modular Realignment.

Modular Realignment puts Cryo Chamber into play.

Absolute Zero deals Absolute Zero 1 Fire damage.

Null-Point Calibration Unit caused Absolute Zero to regain 4 HP. HP is now 19.

Cryo Chamber increases the damage dealt by Absolute Zero by 1.

DealDamageAction of Modular Realignment was prevented by Null-Point Calibration Unit.

Null-Point Calibration Unit caused Absolute Zero to regain 4 HP. HP is now 23.

GameController moved Modular Realignment to Absolute Zero’s trash.

Went from Absolute Zero’s PlayCard phase to UsePower phase.

Null-Point Calibration Unit caused Absolute Zero to regain 4 HP. HP is now 27.

Absolute Zero initiates 1 Cold damage to Baron Blade.

Baron Blade is now at 24 HP.

Absolute Zero deals Absolute Zero 3 Fire damage.

Absolute Zero is now at 24 HP.

Absolute Zero initiates 3 Cold damage to Absolute Zero.

Null-Point Calibration Unit caused Absolute Zero to regain 5 HP, up to their maximum HP. HP is now 29.

Went from Absolute Zero’s UsePower phase to DrawCard phase.

Absolute Zero draws Focused Apertures.

GameController plays Living Force Field.

Baron Blade deals Absolute Zero 4 Energy damage.

Absolute Zero is now at 25 HP.

Absolute Zero deals Baron Blade 2 Cold damage.

Baron Blade is now at 22 HP.

Null-Point Calibration Unit caused Absolute Zero to regain 4 HP, up to their maximum HP. HP is now 29.

Absolute Zero deals Absolute Zero 2 Fire damage.

Absolute Zero is now at 27 HP.

Baron Blade is now at 19 HP.

The Visionary uses the incapacitated ability “Destroy an ongoing card.”

The Visionary destroys Living Force Field!

GameController moved Living Force Field to the villain trash.

GameController plays Hoarfire.

Absolute Zero deals Baron Blade 4 Cold damage.

Baron Blade is now at 15 HP.

Absolute Zero initiates 2 Fire damage to Absolute Zero.

Absolute Zero deals Absolute Zero 2 Fire damage.

Absolute Zero is now at 25 HP.

Absolute Zero initiates 2 Cold damage to Baron Blade.

Absolute Zero deals Baron Blade 4 Cold damage {11}.

Hero targets dealt non-hero character cards 10 or more damage in a single round. Rooftop Combat destroys itself!

Null-Point Calibration Unit caused Absolute Zero to regain 3 HP {28}.

Cryo Chamber reduces the damage dealt to Absolute Zero by Absolute Zero by 1.

GameController moved Hoarfire to Absolute Zero’s trash.

Absolute Zero deals Baron Blade 2 Cold damage. {9}

Absolute Zero deals Absolute Zero 9 Fire damage {19}.

Absolute Zero deals Baron Blade 10 Cold damage {-1}.

Tempest, The Visionary and Absolute Zero all defeated Baron Blade! Congratulations!