Mini prototypes

The latest Kickstarter update includes copies of the miniature prototypes. 

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/galactic-strike-force-the-cooperative-deck-buildin/posts/539686?ref=email&show_token=89a61ec901e153f9

Does the dragon seem a bit underwhelming? I know that without the base it is hard to pose it properly, but even taking that into account it seems much less impressive than, say, the spider. 

Just saying...

Oh yeah, it looks like they changed the way the dragon looks from the earlier pix.  Looks like maybe it doesn't have any arms or legs now.  They also simplified the Singularity model quite a bit, and the legs on the spider in this prototype are more splayed out (flatter to the ground) than in the earlier pic.  Guess they couldn't get the earlier models to work properly?

Yeah, I'm not overly surprised by the changes, honestly. Without even hearing from the >G crew, I can already guess at the reasons.

That being said, I'm still super excited. The ships definitely look the way I imagine them from the artwork.

The pix in the latest update got me excited about pulling out my old brushes again for some mini painting.  But when I pulled out the old utility box and took a look, I saw a box full of dried up paint bottles.  Has it really been so long?  Maybe my once-solid painting skills have dried up too, after so many years.  Now I'm a little nervous about painting the minis...

At least you've done it before. If I went out and got the supplies I would be doing that sort of thing for the frst time.

I'll probably stick to the unpainted dull gray

Half the ships ARE grey, so they're already painted!

Given everything else going on, I know I won't have time to pain them. However, I probably will at least give them a primer and a wash. Should look pretty good just with that! :sunglasses:

Ugh. In the past few months I have picked up 100s of minis in games... with a lot more coming in the next couple of months. I have never painted in my life and I'm not sure if I will end up having the time/will. 

Nyotan's card-art was certainly modeled much more dramatically than the miniature, but that was due completely to real-world limitations.

Not only could >G not produce a 60mm minaiture with hard-light laser wings (too far out of the budget-- maybe next time!), but so many arms, legs, and claws going in different directions makes partitions lines for a two-piece mold essentially impossible.  Every added limb adds expense to the production, and ultimately, still has to release from a mold without any undercuts.

It's nice of you to pop your head in here, Michael! Thanks for the modelling insight.