moving to the Raleigh NC area

Hey all,

I just learned this week I will be moving to the Raleigh NC area this fall. Looking for some good people to play games with. Also looking for a home FLGS. I have already scouted out a couple when I went down for the job interview but would love to hear other people opioions

I've lived in various parts of the Triangle area in NC for about 5 years.  If you're in Raleigh itself, Game Theory will most likely be your closest local store.  It's got a great game selection and seems to have a pretty active community.  I believe they do an open board game night once a week and frequently do demoes of various games.  Nearby, I also know of Gamer's Armory (my home store) in Cary, which is smaller but has really friendly staff and a pretty good community as well, and Event Horizon in Garner.  I don't know much about the community at Event Horizon, but (at least as of the last time I was there) they do have a pretty nice selection of older RPG books if that's your thing.  I also recommend checking out Atomic Empire, which is in Durham.  They're a really nice comic/game store with a huge selection and beer on tap.

If you want to meet up once you get out here and settled in, please feel free to PM me.  My husband and I are always happy to pull more cool people into our gaming group. :)

I will do that Varia, I stopped by Atomic Empire while I was there for the job interview and was impressed with what I saw just didnt have time to check out too much more than that. Plus Atomic Empire when I called down there to try and get a better idea of events today made sure I knew they had beer on tap. lol. Hopeing to do more when I go down to look for places to live. The job is in Durham but I am not sure what part of the Triange I am going to end up living in yet and I dont have a problem with driving a bit to a decent game store.

I will shoot you a PM once I get down there and settled. The first few weeks I know I will be busy with orientation and all so we shall see what happens. 

I lived in Durham from '03-'07. You and varia both need to meet Rick & Marnie Steeves; if either of you are SCA folks he uses the moniker of Corwin Sinister. (Can't recall hers.) They host an open board game night at their place the 3rd Friday of every month, and have been for at least 15 years. I'll send more specifics (and a link to the official web page announcement) via PM if interested.

Right as I moved, there was a small comic/game store that was opening near the Durham/Chapel Hill border that was called Sci Fi Genre Comics & Games, or something to that general effect. No idea if they're still open.

And when last I knew, Jeff Greiner of D&D podcast The Tome Show lived in Apex/Cary and taught middle school nearby.

I would definitely be interested in learning more about that.

Shortly after I moved out here, they moved to a (much) larger building and changed their name to Atomic Empire, so I'd say they're thriving.

jffdougan wrote:

Right as I moved, there was a small comic/game store that was opening near the Durham/Chapel Hill border that was called Sci Fi Genre Comics & Games, or something to that general effect. No idea if they're still open.

Shortly after I moved out here, they moved to a (much) larger building and changed their name to Atomic Empire, so I'd say they're thriving.

[/quote]

I will vouch for the much larger building.

Good to hear they're thriving, as they were a pretty good experience the couple times I'd been in - and it's been about a decade since I lived there.

PM sent with stuff about Rick & Marnie's.

Hey jffdougan

send me the info as well and I will check it out. Not sure what the schedule of this new job will be like yet but always looking to play with new people. Hopefully wife lets me because she is already mad I wanted to go to board game night tonight for the first time in 2 months because my schedule of stuff I been working on has finally went from way to much to do to laying around staring at the ceiling all summer.

Looks like I will be living smack nab in between the Raleigh, Durham, and Cary game stores. Yay for choices

Quick update: I am now moved to Durham. Checked out gamers armory and went to their game night on Wednesday and had fun. Been to gamers theory and atomic empire and hoping to make it to one of their game nights this week. Having lots of fun so far and looking forward to meeting up with everyone and playing some of greater than games games.

Do you like beer? Mystery Brewing in Hillsborough.

nope. Dont drink because I do enough stupid stuff sober