New game: Freedom Five

'Sorry, that Sentinels miniatures game you folks backed five years ago isn't working out. So sorry.'

A week and a half later...

'Hey, check our our new Sentinels miniatures game!'

ORLY? 

feniab, that logic would possibly track if the new game was published by GtG. It's not being published by GtG, and the logic doesn't track.

I can understand how it could feel like a intentional slap in the face, but coincedences happen. Would it really have felt any better if they had pushed back the announcement? From what I can tell, it wouldn't reduce the resentment whatsoever.

Since I don’t think I have ever seen fenianb make a post about anything Sentinels other than Prime War, I think this actually literally is their view on the subject.

…Defenders of the Realm and Defenders of the Last Stand aren’t miniatures games. They have a handful of minis used as player pawns. That’s it.
They’re decidedly board games, not tactical minis games.

Either way, I'm optimistic about this game.  I'm not at all familiar Defenders of the Realm, but another coop game set in the Sentinels world certainly sounds fun.  And it'll be interesting to see someone else's take on the characters.

FWIW, the Editor's Note coming up Tuesday the 23rd will have both more thoughts on Prime War and on this game. They very definitely have no connection to each other is the main takeaway.

Oooh!  I've been hoping C&A would talk about PW on The Letters Page post-announcement, largely because I did find the overall story interesting and am wondering if they plan on using it elsewhere.  (Granted, I should have submitted a question to that effect, but I'm hoping others did).

I may have to check out the video on the patreon instead of waiting this week...

Edit:  When in the editors' note did they talk about it?  (Trying to save myself from having to scan through the full 2-hour episode for just one thing).

I believe it should be around the 50 minute to hour mark.  

Thanks Powerhound!  Was able to give it a listen yesterday evening.

In the audio version of Editor's Note 43 it's around the 58 minute mark.  

Sounds very exciting! And what a funny story, that it started as a Sentinels game and came full circle.

An introduction to the project went out to their mailing list today, just introducing the developers.  Oddly, not mentioning Christopher or Adam by name, just Richard Launius and Adam & Brady Sadler.  And got one piece of preview art, which is the cutest version of Tachyon I've seen yet.

Christopher and Adam aren't working the game mechanics or art on this just final say so that makes sense to me.   There is one image that shows a prototype of the game and what looks like a Sentinel Tactics box rebranded for this game.  

This is a link to the contents of the email 

https://mailchi.mp/d324170078f6/freedom-five-a-sentinels-comics-board-game-pre-kickstarter-newsletter-issue-1

That Tachyon image is pretty funny. There's also a snippet of Wraith elbowing a Blade Battalion in the email header. She's in pre-OblivAeon costume.

Played Defenders of the Realm for the first time yesterday.  It's pretty good but it is a little rough around the edges.  The heroes seem pretty poorly balanced, and it's very hard.  We were close to losing 3 different ways at once, and I honestly don't know if it was even possible for us to have won.  We took out the Orc general in round 3 or so, but by then the Demon and Dragon generals were already right outside the city.  We took out the Dragon general almost right away and headed straight over to the Demon general, but even using several special cards to halt his advance, we couldn't stop him--and even if we had reached him, we probably didn't have enough red cards to win,

Also I'm not sure how much replay value there is.  There are different heroes, but not many of them, and there are only the same 4 armies/generals every game.  It's more replayable than Pandemic for sure, which I suppose makes it good enough.

One small change--different scenarios that change the difficulty level and also add variety--would make this a pretty darn good game.  I'll have to check out the other Defenders games to see what Richard Launius has learned about it in the meantime.

(Also the FAQ is not good--I had to Google a bunch of rules questions during the game, and found Richard's answers on BGG, but he never updated the FAQ with them.)

Edit: I looked into reviews of Defenders of the Last Stand.  Apparently the general engine is very good, and it does have the scenarios I suggested above, but there are some concerning issues.  Proofreading and playtesting were obviously lacking and, once again, the FAQ is terrible.  Richard apparently made several comments on BGG saying "this will be added to the FAQ" and then they never were.  I'm hoping Richard has taken these criticisms to heart.

It's not solely on Launius for the FAQ.  Arcane Wonders, the Sandler Brothers, and GtG all have a role to play in putting out understandable rules and FAQ as needed.   At least what I've read is that it has gotten better play wise with the second iteration and I suspect this should be even more polished.  

Very excited for this. I am a huge fan of the games worked on by the Sadler brothers, from Descent to Street Masters. Their modular deck mentality also creates a game engine very reminiscent to Sentinels but with a board and added challenge of positioning. Very excited to see where this goes as my friends and I love SotM but have really played it to exhaustion. We are excited to jump back into the world with a fresh game.

The way they’ve described the situation to date, doesn’t seem like GtG’s role is much more than, “Hey, Arcane Wonders, do the thing?” :-\ (But I suppose that is a role… :wink:

They've mentioned veto powers and it will have the Sentinel Comics/GtG brand on it so I can't imagine they are that hands off.   They aren't doing development but I would be surprised to find out they don't have much say on the Rulebook/FAQ.