New game: Freedom Five

Most recent newsletter! https://mailchi.mp/2cb30b1d3abd/freedom-five-a-sentinels-comics-board-game-pre-kickstarter-newsletter-issue-3884921

The good: Lots of great new arts of the Freedom Five.

The bad: Launch date for the KS has been pushed back to October 21st.

I very much like the art of Absolute Zero assuming the half-lotus position.  That screams 90s-era comic cover to me. :D

This art's brilliant. :D It's like getting a preview of the RPG book, seeing familiar characters in a whole new style.

Me too. Kinda wish it was him in his cryo chamber instead of his suit, but I love the Zen pose thing going on. Shows a side to AZ I hadn’t expected but makes sense now that I see it.

I also like the pic of Tyler for, ah shall we say, much less lofty reasons. There was a fair bit of drooling over that one on the Letters Page server. XD

That AZ suit must be a lot thinner and more flexible than I had imagined.

It's mostly just an insulation suit when you think about it. He doesn't need an oxygen supply and it doesn't need to be a full on powered suit. I suspect the bulk of what lets him vent ice is in the torso and the the arms and legs are more wetsuit-like.

(I mean I agree there's probably still a level of artistic license involved but I'm not especially surprised the suit is mostly flexible considering what it's designed for.)

Between this picture and the Day In The Life cover art, I’m developing a new appreciation for Bunker’s extreme hotness!

Bunker’s hotness has turned into a running gag on the Letters Page Discord server because when we originally were judging all the guys for hotness (…it’s a really long story but I swear it makes sense in context…) everyone rated him as merely kind of OK and I was like “…really? You people are missing out” so now every time a new pic of him comes out people are like “You know Tyler is actually pretty hot” and I’m like “I told you!”

At least it's not just Adam who draws all the characters hot. XD

Isn't Adam mostly responsible for that effect on Baron Blade and Chrono-Ranger?

Even suits made out of flexible materials can be really stiff and hard to bend. Space suits are notoriously stiff, for example, mostly because they are pressurized and the interior pressure forces all their limbs to splay out. (Search YouTube for "astronauts falling down on the Moon" for dramatic demonstrations!) I don't know if AZ's suit ends up pressurized, but I'd still expect something pretty stiff because it's hard to design thin materials that can insulate across a huge temperature difference.

But Dr. Stinson designed it, so... ;)

Yeah that's the thing, I think. Most of what we think of as isolating suits IRL need to supply oxygen/remove CO2 from any circulating air and often are designed for situations where they need to be pressurized, none of which AZ needs. And wetsuits which mostly just insulate are reasonably flexible, as someone who had a bestie who owned a few of them because he liked SCUBA diving.

And so yeah I don't put it past Tachyon to successfully design a materal that is basically mega-insulating but still has the general properties of wetsuit material. Especially since considering how often the guy has to be in it and has to be able to fight in it, it needs to be at least halfway flexible and comfortable.

Granted, if I had my druthers, I still would have preferred a similar pose but just with AZ as himself in his cryo chamber.

The latest newsletter is here: https://mailchi.mp/9f724e95f3e8/freedom-five-a-sentinels-comics-board-game-pre-kickstarter-newsletter-issue-3893585

We have box art previews, ability card previews, and mini previews!

Damn, that looks cool! The Bunker figure especially. :D And I love Legacy's expression on Fortitude.

I still need to go try out the game this is based on! Do I want it or not? XD

If I spy it correctly, is that Chrono-Ranger and Guise on the panel with Friction on the left?

Hadn't looked at the side but it looks like them to me too.  

That's definitely a different take on Legacy!  Very cool, especially the sculpts.

Man, I wish I enjoyed Defenders of the Realm better.

Sounds like they're making improvements and general changes to the original to create this, so maybe you'll enjoy it? :-)  

Yeah, likely.  And I understand Defenders of the Last Stand is better, too.  But that personally drops me from "Kickstart" immediately to "wait and see."

Kinda curious the price. A lot of good kickstarters in October.

Ooo… Do I want to know what’s coming? :wink: