Maybe it's just me, but I've been having a problem for the past few weeks with the forum.

You know how when there's a new post in a particular part of the forum, we'll say in 'General Discussion' for this example. The little file folder next to the forum name will have the star on it, and under posts it will say 'X New'?

Well certain forums for me are showing messages like that, but when I look there are no new posts. I didn't mind too much when it was only one of the forums, but it's suddenly been affecting more and more of them.

Anyone have any idea what that's about?

It’s been happening to me for ages. Usually General Discussion, and it goes away after I read a particular thread in another section.

I have vague recollections that this happens when a thread is moved.

I’ve moved a few threads recently. There’s very little that I think should be in General Discussion.

But what will you do when Colonel Discussion gets promoted?

I've also noticed that deleted spammer posts will behave in that manner, or at least that's my suspicion

The statistics thread is also corrupted -- has been for years. When there's a new post on it, another thread (I believe it's the latest thread that's been posted on in General?) will show as though it has a new post, but going to the forum doesn't show anything new. Going to the stats thread clears it, though. 

Yeah, I get the occasional false "new post" pop up every now and then - it's been happening for aaaaages. But eventually it seems to go away (probably when I manage to hop into whichever thread is bugged so it gets marked as read), so that's fine :).

Glad I'm not the only one this has been happening to!

Yeah I have the same problem with the general discussion forum.  I thought I was the only one.

Just verified this with the Statistics thread in SotM forum.  14 unread messages in General Discussion (though none really), 14 unread messages in that thread.  Read that thread, and the 14 unread messages from General Discussion forum disappear.

Ah, checking the Stats thread did the trick for clearing up General Discussion. Thank you, that's been bugging me for a while now!

Has there been any threads recently moved from the SotM Game Engine forum recently?

Yes. I moved one from SotM Game Engine to Sentinels of the Multiverse.

(click)

(and nothing new everywhere else of course, but this was.. apropos)

I can also reproduce the thing where I just went to the statistics project thread (which had 1 new post) and now it's cleared for this forum.

... what is up with my poor statistics project thread? xD

It must be because of how old and long it is...

It’s because the stats thread used to be under general and was moved. The new counter has been broken for me for years in this way.

I think the other perpetrator(the one affecting the 'SotM Game Engine' Threads) is the 'Nuking for Glory' thread that dwells in 'Sentinels of the Multiverse' under the 'Games' threads.

Thank you so much!  That was driving me nuts trying to find that one.

No worries! Glad this thread is of help to others, and not just to myself! ^-^

If we get many more new ‘phantom-posts’(I didn’t plan this, I swear), I’ll most likely edit my first post so we can list all of the offending threads right up top.