"Off the Rails" movement? [SPOILERS]

Warning: Potential spoilers for Off the Rails adventures.

<!--break-->

So I was reading through the Off the Rails adventure, and it seems like the first scene might be almost impossible to get through at low player counts. The scene starts the heroes in the last car and they are ultimately trying to get to the front car, and there are six cars to get through with only eight scene tracker entries.

Moving between cars is done one of two ways: getting two overcomes to break through the airlocks between cars or getting one overcome to climb outside the train, make your way to the next car, and enter the next car from the outside. Taking the latter "outside" approach also introduces an extra environment threat to the scene.

My first question is: Are the overcome actions required to move to the next car per-hero or per-group?  In other words, does each hero have to get these successes individually to move, or does only one hero need to get them for the entire group to move? The first method (overcoming the airlock doors) sounds like it should only need to be done once per group, because once the airlock is broken through, no one else should need to do it. But the second method sounds more like a per-hero thing (because it's described as literally going out, hanging on the side of the train, and making your way over to the next car - not something someone else could do for you).  The text states that the latter method is faster, but it seems like it would be slower, because everyone would need to do it - in a group of five heroes, you could break the airlock with two total actions, but to go outside would take five.  And even if the outside method could also be done by a single hero for all the other heroes, it's still not any faster if the extra environment threat it introduces causes even one hero to spend even a single action to deal with it. Only if the extra threat results in zero actions taken by heroes to deal with it does it actually become faster.

My second question is: Doesn't this setup mean that the scene tracker is woefully short for the task at hand at low player counts?  The adventure says it's appropriate for 2-6 players, and I'll probably be playing with the low end of that - two or three players. With two players, the scene tracker allows the players sixteen actions total before the scene ends in defeat.

• If twelve of those are taken up with opening the six airlocks, that leaves only two non-door-opening actions for each hero in the entire scene. With those two actions, they have to deal with six superpowered lieutenants plus whatever the environment and twists throws in!
  • If they go outside and we rule those overcome actions are per-hero, that's still 12 actions needed, so they're still looking at having only two actions each to deal with everything, only now they have six extra environment threats on top of what they'd deal with by going through the airlocks.
  • If they go outside and we rule only one hero needs to overcome the challenge for both of them to move, then movement between cars only takes six out of the sixteen available actions, but that still leaves each hero only five actions each to deal with six lieutenants, six extra environment threats, and all threats introduced by twists and the environment turns, which is better but still doesn't seem realistic.

(Things ease up a bit at three players, but also keep in mind that the above is assuming that all those overcome-to-move checks are passed, too, which certainly isn't a foregone conclusion when multiple entities they'll encounter are hinder-givers. One of the lieutenants even has the ability to prevent up to three heroes from moving!)

So, there are a lot of cool enemies and challenges going on in this scene...and the heroes will be spending most of their time just opening doors, unable to do anything to really interact with the villains and environment threats. Seems like that will be a drag for the players. Am I missing something here with the way this scene is intended to be run?

This is one of those situations where pre-determining the length of the scene and automatically advancing towards the end each turn can amount to railroading. 

For your second question, I just wanted to note that the text states to use the prolonged scene tracker even though it shows the picture of the standard scene tracker.

> This is one of those situations where pre-determining the length of the scene and automatically advancing towards the end each turn can amount to railroading.

Good point and also a solid pun.

> For your second question, I just wanted to note that the text states to use the prolonged scene tracker even though it shows the picture of the standard scene tracker.

Ah, good catch.  That certainly makes the math less extreme.

I think it says that any villains in the current car can withdraw to a previous car or villains in an old car can pursue to the current car so i think once someone hacks the controls or rips the door off it’s hinges it is open forever

The adventure says that the cars are not physically connected, so there is no walkway between them. You can rule that the rolls are not needed to open the door but rather to jump the gap and get hrough the other door. If the roll is failed the character missed and is now dangerously dangling between the cars. When they make both rolls they have manuevered through the other door and are in the next car.

Soo... there seems to be no consensus on the question whether or not those overcomes are per Hero or once-for-all, right? 

The same thing goes for practically every pursuit-type scene we can ever come up with, so it'd be great if someone from GTG could clarify here... it is their forums, after all :)

With the books now out in the wild, it is only a matter of time until more demands for clarification and some errata pop up here and there anyway.

I think it really just depends on the fiction of the Overcome. If, for example, a Hero uses Teleportation to open a portal to the other car, then other Heroes could walk though that portal, too. But if a Hero uses Intangibility to phase through the car door, then only that Hero will be in the next car.

This is very much a soft mechanics question of how the overcome is being done. Aka, the narrative. fjur basically has the right of it.

> I think it really just depends on the fiction of the Overcome. If, for example, a Hero uses Teleportation to open a portal to the other car, then other Heroes could walk though that portal, too. But if a Hero uses Intangibility to phase through the car door, then only that Hero will be in the next car.

Yeah, right now, this is where I'm leaning.  Part of the onus on the heroes will be coming up with a fiction that solves the problem – they should be looking for ways to efficiently get through. Finding ways to get multiple heroes through together instead of getting them through individually is part of the creativity the heroes should be bringing to the table.

I would describe the scene with the lock button on the other side. This way when someone gets through, they could open the door for their teammates. I have always taken challenges as a group success or a group failure.